Week 9 Official Game Thread - Bears at Saints (Sweat Revenge)

adam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Saints are similar to Raiders except with a better defense. Just establish the run and go from there.

It'll be interesting if they try to mimic what the Chargers did to confuse Bagent.   If they do we'll get to see what kind of a learning curve he's got.  

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It'll be interesting if they try to mimic what the Chargers did to confuse Bagent.   If they do we'll get to see what kind of a learning curve he's got.  

and Getsy LOL but point well taken, Bagent does seem like the kind of guy who is going to grow week to week in vision.

Injury report for today.  Fields is “doubtful” and Brisker still “out” due to concussion.  I fear the team may need to look for a replacement for him.  Also see Edmunds is out with a knee.  Guessing we’ll see some Sewell although they ran more NB when Edmunds was out last week. 

IMG_5873.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sweet opening drive and an eye-popping catch by Kmet to cap it off!  Damn that was a thing of beauty.  

yeah I loved the call on 4th and 1 too. Bagent did a lot of subtle things to manipulate the defense on that drive too. As one example, he twitched Mooney open on the first play.

I've been high on Bagent's ability since the beginning - I just think it's early to call him your franchise QB. There are questions around his arm strength on long passes.

As for Fields, we will just agree to disagree. But Im not putting a ceiling on Bagent, but neither am I going into next year with him as the presumed starter without a top pick rookie behind him.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

- I just think it's early to call him your franchise QB.

I would agree and think he’s not it either.  But would you rather have a guy like Bagent (and Fields) on the team who are already familiar with the system (assuming some form of what they’re doing offensively stays in place) than some unproven rookie (no matter how “evolutionary”) and having to start over? 

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I would agree and think he’s not it either.  But would you rather have a guy like Bagent (and Fields) on the team who are already familiar with the system (assuming some form of what they’re doing offensively stays in place) than some unproven rookie (no matter how “evolutionary”) and having to start over? 

I totally understand your thinking. But I dont think Getsy survives, and so its gonna be something new anyway.

I also (and you may disagree with this) think that Fields will never be an NFL QB. He's an incredible athlete, but he doesnt do the things we see Bagent showing us in terms of fast decisions, throwing with anticipation, general tempo and understanding situations - audibles, defensive weaknesses etc. he will have more games to prove me wrong this year for sure.

Now I REALLY like Bagent. I worry about his long ball arm, but I have read that arm strength can be increased and developed. I dunno if thats true, but if it is, I can see Bagent becoming something great in the future. If not, hes the best backup in the league. maybe even now.

But all things considered, I truly think that we have two top picks, and there are a bunch of QBs this year considered to be good, so I think you realistically have to take one int he first. Maybe not at #1. Maybe you like a guy like Penix or McCarthy in the middle of the first round. I dunno. But we would be bringing in a new QB with a lot more around them than any Bears QB has had in quite a long time.

So to my way of thinking, until you have a top 5 QB, you are always looking for one.