A Case for Keeping the Band Together...

Mongo3451

If we end up changing coaches, we should keep Todd Monken's name in mind. He was the OC at Georgia from 2020-2022 and hid first year in Baltimore and their offense is balling with a similar QB to Justin Fields. Lamar Jackson has 12 TDs and 7 Ints with 2441 yds. 535 yds rushing with 5 TDs. That's we should be doing with Justin. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's NCAA games:

Williams - 26/35, 74.3%, 324 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 155.8 QB Rating; 3 sacks, 6 rushes, -12 yards (9 mins left, losing 38-13)

Maye - 13/28, 46.4%, 175 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 110.7 QB Rating, 3 sacks, 8 rushes, 55 yards (10 mins left, losing 31-14)

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Today's NCAA games:

Williams - 26/35, 74.3%, 324 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 155.8 QB Rating; 3 sacks, 6 rushes, -12 yards (9 mins left, losing 38-13)

Maye - 13/28, 46.4%, 175 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 110.7 QB Rating, 3 sacks, 8 rushes, 55 yards (10 mins left, losing 31-14)

Am watching Williams  today and doesn't impress me that much, a lot of short passes, missed throws. Last year he was king with a good OL ( 3 drafted), better defense, and Jordon Addison to throw to. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Maye - 13/28, 46.4%, 175 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 110.7 QB Rating, 3 sacks, 8 rushes, 55 yards (10 mins left, losing 31-14). 

Purposefully watched this game today to see what all the hype about Maye was.  And quite honestly didn’t see it.  He had two nice passes, one for a TD early in the game and another where the receiver dropped it.  Other than that his passing was off.  As you pointed out in the stats he’s (so far) under 200 yards and mostly getting yards by scrambling. Which puts him on par with his predecessor Trubiksy and Fields.  So we’d consider drafting Fields’ replacement with a player that can run like him.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it safe to say Williams isn’t all that and a bag of chips either.  Neither he nor Maye are “it”. Not to me anyhow. 

One player I did see today that played really well was Clemson RB Will Shipley.  He ran for 119 yards (7.9 avg) for one TD.  He also had two receptions for 53 yards.  Solid player if we were in the market for RB or slot receiver in later rounds .

On 11/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, Stinger226 said:

Am watching Williams  today and doesn't impress me that much, a lot of short passes, missed throws. Last year he was king with a good OL ( 3 drafted), better defense, and Jordon Addison to throw to. 

He didn’t impress me either.   I’m kinda surprised at the numbers.  That said it’s still draft him before Bryce Young.  The arm talent is there but the mental side of the game is lacking when there is pressure.      

5 hours ago, adam said:

Eberflus is such a fraud. You don't rotate your elite players. Guys like Sweat only come out when they ask to come out.

Yes. He is a fraud. So were Nagy and Trestman. They're good talkers. Theyre SAFE from the point of view of Halas Hall.

Win the HR trophy, lose on the field.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yes. He is a fraud. So were Nagy and Trestman. They're good talkers. Theyre SAFE from the point of view of Halas Hall.

Win the HR trophy, lose on the field.

I have done a ton of interviews and been on both sides of them. It is fairly easy to determine if someone is the right fit for a job. I can't imagine Flus going into an interview and talking how he does in press conferences during the interview process. I don't want to come across as an ass, but he sounds like an idiot who has no idea what he is doing. 

11 minutes ago, adam said:

I have done a ton of interviews and been on both sides of them. It is fairly easy to determine if someone is the right fit for a job. I can't imagine Flus going into an interview and talking how he does in press conferences during the interview process. I don't want to come across as an ass, but he sounds like an idiot who has no idea what he is doing. 

he seems friendly, and un-threatening.  He also seems like the kind of guy that would go along with political correctness, which I think is mutually exclusive with being a hard headed winner.

I think this is just STILL the impact of the McCaskeys killing this team.

HR probably LOVES the guy. How many super bowls has the HR department won?

38 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

as long as they fire them in the offseason, so be it. But it sure is painful to watch.

I want new coaches but if they  win 3-4 games that may not happen. Flus was a good DC but never had to carry the load of scrutiny threw a terrible losing steak. I would love him to just be the DC but to far down the rode of loses to make him look good again. The most important thing is does the team ball out for him and I dont think they have quit on him. If he blows games lie Sunday and that may not be the case.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I want new coaches but if they  win 3-4 games that may not happen. Flus was a good DC but never had to carry the load of scrutiny threw a terrible losing steak. I would love him to just be the DC but to far down the rode of loses to make him look good again. The most important thing is does the team ball out for him and I dont think they have quit on him. If he blows games lie Sunday and that may not be the case.

I do believe the coaching staff is gone at the end of the season. So many dumb mistakes from these "professionals" that everyone watching knows they were dumb. I just can't see Poles brining back this group of incompetents. Games that were thrown away by coaching errors have been too many. And my God, you hear Flus on an interview and you'd think we were a nose from the Super Bowl. No fricking awareness of reality.

13 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

I do believe the coaching staff is gone at the end of the season. So many dumb mistakes from these "professionals" that everyone watching knows they were dumb. I just can't see Poles brining back this group of incompetents. Games that were thrown away by coaching errors have been too many. And my God, you hear Flus on an interview and you'd think we were a nose from the Super Bowl. No fricking awareness of reality.

A new coaching staff will ultimately mean a new QB.  Unless the coach wants him.  I couldn't imagine Fields having to go through another new system.

2 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

A new coaching staff will ultimately mean a new QB.  Unless the coach wants him.  I couldn't imagine Fields having to go through another new system.

Ben Johnson inherited Jared Goff, so I would think they would hire the HC first, then allow him to determine if he wants Fields or is enamored with a specific QB in the draft. I would let him decide.

Fields will have to learn a new system on a new team too. So from his POV there is at least familiarity with the players, facilities, etc if he stays. 

My only concern with Fields to this point is if his play style is sustainable and repeatable, and something team's can't eventually figure out. The great QBs can beat any defense. Right now Fields has yet to beat a team with a winning record. 

13 minutes ago, adam said:

Ben Johnson inherited Jared Goff, so I would think they would hire the HC first, then allow him to determine if he wants Fields or is enamored with a specific QB in the draft. I would let him decide.

Fields will have to learn a new system on a new team too. So from his POV there is at least familiarity with the players, facilities, etc if he stays. 

My only concern with Fields to this point is if his play style is sustainable and repeatable, and something team's can't eventually figure out. The great QBs can beat any defense. Right now Fields has yet to beat a team with a winning record. 

Unfortunately, the team is not quite ready to win yet.  Fields is only a piece of the pie, but he does hold the cherry on top. Hub Arkush said tonight fans cannot say Fields played a good game then day Getsy was bad.  I think he missed the two run calls up the middle putting them 3rd and long. Those two plays took the Bears out and put them in a situation where a misjudged stutter step caused the ball to be finger tips from a win.

1 hour ago, adam said:

First off, the coaches HAVE to be gone. Anyone saying Flus is a good DC must be watching a different game than I did. Flus took a 98.4% chance to win and blew it in the most fearful and predictable way. Everyone knew it would be cover 2 on 1st and 2nd down. Everyone. I knew it a month ago. We all did. And then the Lions said "thank you for being predictable, we have plays to beat that" and we just watched it happen.

Hell imagine if the vaunted cover 2 had given up 4 more yards against the Panthers before Pinero missed that 50+ yard field goal. No one can say at the beginning of the drive "my zone reliably gives up 60 yards but NOT 65" - it's idiocy.

Also, Montez Sweat was on the sideline at the end of the game, because Eberflus believes in the rotation. Seriously. Sweat only played 65% of the snaps, meanwhile Aiden Hutchinson played 97% of his teams snaps. Are you mad yet? Do you think this clown is a qualified NFL ANYTHING?

Assuming we have a new head coach next year, he will have input in keeping Fields or not. So will the scouting department's assessment of the QB options available.

But you nailed it on the head, Adam - Fieldsball means a lot of QB runs. It means a lot of magical sidearm throws on the run. Neither of those things is sustainable. Run the ball 10 times a game all season, and you'll get your QB hurt. And if you need to have everything be chaotic before you can make a play that isnt sustainable either. I mean - who has Fields beaten? How common is it for Fields to win?

When it's working Fields looks like a superhero overcoming incredible odds to make sportscenter highlight plays. But that cant be your regular plan. Because some games, you get sacked 8 times. It never looks like a calm QB who has the offense under control.

Fields is an incredible athlete, but he is more of a point guard than a QB. You cant be a team who's core competency is wildcat and win regularly in the NFL.

Fields' record is 6-26 (19%). He is 1-5 (17%) this year (not counting the loss to the Vikings). Bagent is 2-2 (also not counting the Vikings). And Bagent is a rookie future backup.

I don't understand the optimism around Fields or Flus. Neither one of those guys is going to win a super bowl as a starter/head coach.

Honestly, the only guy I think will reinvent himself into a winner in the future is Getsy. He's been terrible here. I dont know how much of that is Flus' direction. He makes a lot of bad choices, but i do also see what he is trying to do sometimes, and it seems like he has a brain in there, he just needs to gain more experience. It wouldnt shock me to see him great in 5 years.

But it wont be here.