Final 7 games

adam

1 hour ago, ChileBear said:

3rd year in and we're still finding excuses for why Fields is better than he looks. Hell, I'm tired of loss after loss, not being able to mount any kind of comeback in a game, blaiming it all on everybody but the most impt. guy on the field. Justin has had enough opportunities. I'm done with him. 

And as far as who I would want if we draft, its not C.Williams, he's another Fields and that aint' gonna work.

I am not trying to find excuses. I get the frustration of losing, it absolutely sucks, especially with the game in hand, but when it should've been Fields chance to put the game away, they handed the ball off twice and Scott misjudged a perfect deep ball. 

What do you think of CJ Stroud's performance today? He threw for 336 yards, 2 TD, and 3 INT, in a 21-16 win. The Texans 2nd half offense drives were FG Miss, 3 and out Punt, Interception, Interception. They literally gave the Cardinals every chance to win the game, yet Stroud "won the game", but didn't close it out for an entire half, and handed the game to the Cards with back to back INTs. Yet the narrative will be the rookie balled out, threw for over 300 yards (again) and won the game. 

Fields gets strip sacked with 29 seconds left, and he lost the game. Yet Fields got the Bears a 26-14 lead with 4 minutes left and scored on 5 consecutive drives.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, adam said:

I am not trying to find excuses. I get the frustration of losing, it absolutely sucks, especially with the game in hand, but when it should've been Fields chance to put the game away, they handed the ball off twice and Scott misjudged a perfect deep ball. 

What do you think of CJ Stroud's performance today? He threw for 336 yards, 2 TD, and 3 INT, in a 21-16 win. The Texans 2nd half offense drives were FG Miss, 3 and out Punt, Interception, Interception. They literally gave the Cardinals every chance to win the game, yet Stroud "won the game", but didn't close it out for an entire half, and handed the game to the Cards with back to back INTs. Yet the narrative will be the rookie balled out, threw for over 300 yards (again) and won the game. 

Fields gets strip sacked with 29 seconds left, and he lost the game. Yet Fields got the Bears a 26-14 lead with 4 minutes left and scored on 5 consecutive drives.

I hear ya. And agree that there are so many other factors that go into it. I just do not see fields with the moxy to put the team on his back and finish a game. I like him, but I don't see the IT factor with him. Maybe it is all coaching, but he has had three years, bleak years for us as fans, to do something that would make me confident when he needs to finish a game. I don't, and the big issue is we are approaching a draft situation with, probably, the best positioning ever to improve our team. Right now I'm for trading him, but the season's not over yet. Plenty can happen.

1 hour ago, ChileBear said:

I hear ya. And agree that there are so many other factors that go into it. I just do not see fields with the moxy to put the team on his back and finish a game. I like him, but I don't see the IT factor with him. Maybe it is all coaching, but he has had three years, bleak years for us as fans, to do something that would make me confident when he needs to finish a game. I don't, and the big issue is we are approaching a draft situation with, probably, the best positioning ever to improve our team. Right now I'm for trading him, but the season's not over yet. Plenty can happen.

The purpose of this season was to see if Fields in the man and yet at the end of the game, (series before the last) they hand off into a filled box instead of giving the ball to Fields and see if he is the man. In that series, he had a perfect pass that Scott failed to finish but we should have never been it that position. At the end of games you have to put the ball in the hands of your best players, Fields, DJ or Kmet, not Herbert and Scott. Its the coaches. 

47 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

At the end of games you have to put the ball in the hands of your best players, Fields, DJ or Kmet, not Herbert and Scott. Its the coaches. 

100!  The way that box was stacked, nothing should have been run inside.  Nothing!  You have one on one's all on the outside, with a mobile QB.  It has Flus written all over it. Coaches plan these scenarios during the week.   Getsy asks which set, Flus inputs.  Usless field goal was all Flus too.  I wonder if that is where all the chicken shit calls originate.  Don't get me started on that damn prevent defense.

Interesting perspective here:

In the game against CAR, with the Bears holding a 3pt lead in the 4th quarter, Bagent had a 1st down passing attempt, a 2nd down passing attempt, and 2 3rd down passing attempts when trying to close out the game. 4 pass attempts while the team rushed the ball 6 times for a 40% pass rate.

Then against the Lions, in the 4th quarter, the Bears rushed 15 times and Fields had one pass attempt (the incomplete to Scott), 6.25% pass rate in the 4th quarter.

So the Bears had more trust in Bagent to allow him to pass the ball 40% of the time than they have in Fields to close out the game.

The Bears went 20:14 of game time between passing attempts from the 3rd to 4th quarter. 

The last time DJ Moore was targeted was 11:54 left in the 3rd quarter. Moore got no targets for the last 27 minutes of play. 

That is why it is hard for me to blame Fields, even after the strip sack safety. One passing attempt, and it was the deep ball that was thrown perfectly to Scott. Why is Getsy not scheming up plays for Moore and Kmet in crunch time?

How about Kmet, he had 4 targets, all in the first 14 mins of the game. Kmet was not targeted again for the last 46 minutes of play. 

Fields had the 5th best QBR game this week with a 73.9. In his last 3 full games, his QBR is 73.8, which would be tied for 2nd in the NFL with Dak Prescott. 

For the season, Fields is now up to 44.9 (23rd). His sack rate and INT rate are the two things keeping him down, but every week he has been trending up. 

PFF gave him a 65.9 for the game, which is below his season grade, but higher than average.

To show how crazy the PFF grades are though, Jack Sanborn had the lowest grade at 30.2, Sweat the 2nd lowest at 39.8. On offense, Wright had a 49.1 grade, yet he held down Hutchinson the entire game. 

24 minutes ago, adam said:

In the game against CAR, with the Bears holding a 3pt lead in the 4th quarter, Bagent had a 1st down passing attempt, a 2nd down passing attempt, and 2 3rd down passing attempts when trying to close out the game. 4 pass attempts while the team rushed the ball 6 times for a 40% pass rate.

Then against the Lions, in the 4th quarter, the Bears rushed 15 times and Fields had one pass attempt (the incomplete to Scott), 6.25% pass rate in the 4th quarter.

So the Bears had more trust in Bagent to allow him to pass the ball 40% of the time than they have in Fields to close out the game.

The Bears went 20:14 of game time between passing attempts from the 3rd to 4th quarter. 

The last time DJ Moore was targeted was 11:54 left in the 3rd quarter. Moore got no targets for the last 27 minutes of play. 

That is why it is hard for me to blame Fields, even after the strip sack safety. One passing attempt, and it was the deep ball that was thrown perfectly to Scott. Why is Getsy not scheming up plays for Moore and Kmet in crunch time?

How about Kmet, he had 4 targets, all in the first 14 mins of the game. Kmet was not targeted again for the last 46 minutes of play. 

Someone else (in the social media world) asked a pretty good question too.  That was when Patrick got hurt they brought in Feeney instead of Whitehair.  I don't think he was on the list as 'questionable or out' as he was standing on the sidelines at one point with his gear on, ready to go.  The first series (or two) with Feeney was a bit of a mess and honestly threw things out of rhythm  for at least one series.  Although I much more liked having Feeney in at Center it was clear he hadn't practiced much with Fields the previous week in preparation for what might (and did) happen.  Seems to me the more logical choice would have been to go to Whitehair first but what do I know?  

1 hour ago, adam said:

What a shit-show. Embarrassing.  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Someone else (in the social media world) asked a pretty good question too.  That was when Patrick got hurt they brought in Feeney instead of Whitehair.  I don't think he was on the list as 'questionable or out' as he was standing on the sidelines at one point with his gear on, ready to go.  The first series (or two) with Feeney was a bit of a mess and honestly threw things out of rhythm  for at least one series.  Although I much more liked having Feeney in at Center it was clear he hadn't practiced much with Fields the previous week in preparation for what might (and did) happen.  Seems to me the more logical choice would have been to go to Whitehair first but what do I know?  

I think its as simple of Whitehair no longer practices hiking with Feeney now healthy and the concept of both Jenkins and Davis having injuries this year. To back them up.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If Fields has 7 games to prove himself, he gets a B+ for this game. This team dominated a top 3 team in the National conference for 55 minutes in their house and better coaching would have sealed a win instead of a historic loss. +1 if you're keeping score. 

The vikings rematch will be a good test.  He wasn't playing so well which might have been from a heads hot. I expect pressure again and I hope he handles it better this round. Extra time this week to prep.

8 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The vikings rematch will be a good test.  He wasn't playing so well which might have been from a heads hot. I expect pressure again and I hope he handles it better this round. Extra time this week to prep.

If they play like they did against DET, it should be an easy win. No Cousins or Jefferson. 

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Jefferson returns for the prime time spotlight. I know Jaylon is looking forward to that match up.

Then I check yahoo ff and they might sit him through the bye.

Yeah, there is no way you risk him when you essentially get 2 additional weeks for one game. They already beat the Bears without him and Dobbs has yet to pass to him, so if anything the first game back might be clunky anyway. I am sure they will start his 21-day window during the bye week to get him some reps with Dobbs.

Test #2 - Bears win, Fields leads GW drive, but caused them to need it. He had a 41.9 QBR and a 87.3 QB Rating. That is below average, and compared to what he did against DET, I would say he gets a C and this game does not count as a vote of confidence for him. He made a couple of plays but ultimately looked like he was playing not to lose. He didn't throw an INT, but had 2 fumbles, which are no different.  He had 276 passing+rushing yards and 0 TDs. So it was definitely a meh game.

Some positive notes: he improved game over game against what he did against MIN earlier in the season. He tied for a season high 37 pass attempts. He has gone 60 attempts without an INT, the 2nd longest stretch of his career. 

On a side note, it looks like his thumb is still bothering him. 

Weird parallels with the GB game to open the season for Fields, both games with 37 attempts, 216 yards against GB, 217 against MIN. Both games with 59 rushing yards.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

I agree, I think the thumb is still an issue and probably contributed to the two fumbles.

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Probably doesnt help but he had fumbling issues before he injury.

and there is something about his scrambling and runs this year. He is not being as elusive, he seems to be running right into guys without trying to juke them or anything. On the first fumble he ran straight into the guy instead of running to the right away from him. On the second one, it was a little harder as it was a sack, but he doesn't seem to have the same grip strength. At least he gets the bye to rest up for Detroit.

Last 4 full games:

Hurts 78-114, 68.4%, 876 yds, 7.7 Y/A, 9 TD, 2 INT (4-0 record), Rushing: 40-136, 3.4 Y/C, 5 TD, 12 sacks, 1 FL
Fields 86-124, 69.4%, 1003 yds, 8.1 Y/A, 9 TD, 1 INT (2-2 record, 2 defensive meltdowns), Rushing: 45-245, 5.4 Y/C, 0 TD, 12 sacks, 3 FL

Usage-wise, this is pretty crazy how close they are thru 4 full games. Fields with 10 more passing attempts and 4 more rushes, more yards, better Y/A and Y/C, less INTs. The biggest outliers are rushing TDs (Hurts 5) and fumbles lost (Fields 3). Hurts benefits greatly from the team around him and the tush push, but outside of that, if you didn't know better, most would say Fields is the better player when comparing these stats. 

So I was looking at Next Gen Stats and noticed something about Fields that has been discussed. He rarely targets over the middle between 10-20 yds. 

This season, he is 4-8 for 67 yds and 3 INTs over the middle between 10-20 yds. To put that into perspective, that is a 37.5% INT rate. His INT rate everywhere else on the field is 1.4%. That is insane. The best INT rate all-time for a career is Rodgers at 1.4%. Fields career INT rate is 3.3% and it's 2.7% this year, but again 1.4% is elite, while 37.5% is outrageously high. Also, that is not all throws over the middle, just between 10-20 yards. 

So it seems like Getsy has taken that out of the playbook as Fields only has one pass attempted in that area of the field in the last two games.

1 hour ago, adam said:

So I was looking at Next Gen Stats and noticed something about Fields that has been discussed. He rarely targets over the middle between 10-20 yds. 

This season, he is 4-8 for 67 yds and 3 INTs over the middle between 10-20 yds. To put that into perspective, that is a 37.5% INT rate. His INT rate everywhere else on the field is 1.4%. That is insane. The best INT rate all-time for a career is Rodgers at 1.4%. Fields career INT rate is 3.3% and it's 2.7% this year, but again 1.4% is elite, while 37.5% is outrageously high. Also, that is not all throws over the middle, just between 10-20 yards. 

So it seems like Getsy has taken that out of the playbook as Fields only has one pass attempted in that area of the field in the last two games.

that really does fit with what we've seen, both the interceptions and the lack of those plays on the field. It feels like it describes exactly the stuff I've been missing. Most West Coast rhythm style pocket passers make a living on that stuff.

So I guess I have to ask, is it prudent to try to win a Super Bowl with that kind of massive hole in the middle of your playbook?

This is where he must get better.  The game will pass him over if he does not.  He needs to complete 8-12 in this area per game.  He has to throw to the deep third a minimum four times instead of two.  I'm happy for the win and I'm glad Justin hit that deep third when it counted.  More please...Screenshot_20231128_194209_X.jpg

Edited by Mongo3451
Screen shot