Watched Red Zone…still need OL

jason

I don’t get to watch many games lately. But I got to see Red zone highlights.

What struck me was that every single time Fields drops back he is being chased. Every snap someone is busting through relatively cleanly. One play it’s from the left. Next play it’s up the gut. Then the right. Then the channel flips to KC, and Mahomes has time to tie his shoes on every other play.

Until the QB gets time CONSISTENTLY, he can never be properly evaluated, and can never truly progress.

Keep Fields.

Trade the #1. 

Draft OL. 

53 minutes ago, jason said:

I don’t get to watch many games lately. But I got to see Red zone highlights.

What struck me was that every single time Fields drops back he is being chased. Every snap someone is busting through relatively cleanly. One play it’s from the left. Next play it’s up the gut. Then the right. Then the channel flips to KC, and Mahomes has time to tie his shoes on every other play.

Until the QB gets time CONSISTENTLY, he can never be properly evaluated, and can never truly progress.

Keep Fields.

Trade the #1. 

Draft OL. 

Ha! My how time changes everything!  lol and I couldn’t agree with you more.

I saw I don’t know how many times Jones being pushed backwards at the snap of the ball right into Justin as he was about to throw. A couple of times it messed up the trajectory of the pass. We saw the same thing the week before against Detroit.  Jones is not a starting LT.

For a guy who ‘has to learn to play as a pocket passer’ I’d argue Justin first needs a pocket to work from.   

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ha! My how time changes everything!  lol and I couldn’t agree with you more.

I saw I don’t know how many times I saw Jones being pushed backwards at the snap of the ball right into Justin as he was about to throw. A couple of times it messed up the trajectory of the pass. We saw the same thing the week before against Detroit.  Jones is not a starting LT.

For a guy who ‘has to learn to play as a pocket passer’ I’d argue Justin first needs a pocket to work from.   

To make matters worse our RBs are horrible at pass blocking.  That includes Roschon.  He’s getting playing time solely because he’s the best blocker among bad options.   He’s far from the best RB with the ball in his hands.  

Nate Davis is crap. I am sorry for his loss, but man he is bad. Once Jenkins went out the entire interior was getting owned. The edges were ok, but with that amount of speed on the edges, you have to be able to step up to avoid that pressure, otherwise you are standing right in the path of a speed rush around the OT. Fields got strip sacked on one of them. If he steps up, they run right by him. 

They need a lot more rollouts, bootlegs, and misdirection. The offensive game plan allowed Cleveland to keep 8 guys in the box and rush 5-6 every time straight at Fields. When they did that, like the Velus plays, they got some big plays out of it, but then never went back. 

You would think with all that pressure, Fields would throw the ball sooner but he still held on. He missed a few and was late on a few. All he needs to do is hit 2-3 of those and it's game over. His teammates didn't help, but he still needs to improve. They could DFA Mooney today and it would improve the team. Give the snaps to someone who cares and is going to at least try. He has turned into ARob 2.0.

It's like he has writer's block, but in this case it is QB's block. 

Patrick is a turnstyle.  Other than that, the OL can't settle into a rhythm due to Justin, not being able to "throw" the extra man out of the box.  The reason Mahomes has all day is because if you blitz him, you pay.  

We can draft Justin's replacement and still address center and RG.  If Davis is able to come to camp in shape, we'll have good depth in the middle.

41 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Patrick is a turnstyle.  Other than that, the OL can't settle into a rhythm due to Justin, not being able to "throw" the extra man out of the box.  The reason Mahomes has all day is because if you blitz him, you pay.  

We can draft Justin's replacement and still address center and RG.  If Davis is able to come to camp in shape, we'll have good depth in the middle.

I don't understand how Fields gets so many balls tipped at the LOS. Is his arm angle too low?

58 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Ja'Tre Carter is still on the roster and Davis isnt going anywhere with an 11 mil cap hit next yr. Add another center and guard and let the best players win. Add another OT to compete with Braxton and the loser is the swing tackle. We need 3 if not 4(2 OCs) We need to add to the OL every year to keep the depth up to par . That is another reason we need to trade the #1 pick for more capital to keep building the team. If Poles can work his magic again we can add 7 or 8 quality top 100 draft picks to the roster. Teams keep exposing the OC spot and everything breaks down. It takes 3-4 yrs to rebuild the roster and its only year 2.

2 hours ago, jason said:

I agree we need to continue to build the OL, but I have also seen lots of plays where Justin could throw the ball to a wide open receiver, and the receiver is his first read, and Justin is looking right at the receiver and has his hips open to the receiver but he just doesnt pull the trigger. And the pressure isnt on him yet.

17 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree we need to continue to build the OL, but I have also seen lots of plays where Justin could throw the ball to a wide open receiver, and the receiver is his first read, and Justin is looking right at the receiver and has his hips open to the receiver but he just doesnt pull the trigger. And the pressure isnt on him yet.

One of the issues is he makes the tough throws (Kmet TD, Tonyan drop, etc) but misses the easy ones. The problem is the offense is predicated on the easy ones. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

One of the issues is he makes the tough throws (Kmet TD, Tonyan drop, etc) but misses the easy ones. The problem is the offense is predicated on the easy ones. 

yup. thats what I mean when I say heroics.

Justin is one of the best ever sandlot football players. he has all the talent in the world, but he cant seem to learn how to play QB, and now that teams have figured out how to stop him, it's kinda over for him unless he learns to play the QB position.