Bears OC search

ASHKUM BEAR

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Also just hit me - Kliff coached Mahomes in college and I recall Patrick was very high on Kingsbury helping him become the qb he is. I think Kliff is moving way up my list. 

At least I think Kliff/Patrick worked together. 

Also, sometimes guys are better in a 2nd gig, and in this case Kliff would not immediately go from Boys2Men as the HC like he did with the Cards. Being an OC when you already have a HC would allow him to solely focus 100% of his attention on the offense. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, adam said:

It could also be to get intel on Caleb. Now they are making teams really hedge their bets as you really don't know which way Poles is going to go.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Totally true , NO ONE knows what their thinking. A smart person talks to football people to learn everything you can when trying to analyze a prospect. Every person gives their opinion on every QB option available.

This was my initial thought on this.  Who brain is better to pick in evaluating Williams than the dude that worked directly with him.  It's smart to interview Kliff.  He would have insight into Williams behind the scenes beyond what we see on the field or off it.  The interview serves a dual purpose.

We all know this OC search centers around Fields vs Rookie (Williams, Maye, etc.).  Which Coordinator has the best plan to solve the Bears offense in 2024.  I'm sure he's listening to thoughts on both sides of that coin. 

Another thought I've had is it's possible we're not just interviewing to scout OC, but also offensive assistant coach candidates.  Maybe there's a guy we liked but didn't feel he was the right fit at OC but think he'd make a good assistant in this guy or that guy's offensive staff.  It could even be that some of the candidates we are interviewing are guys a candidate suggested we talk to that they themselves would have in mind as an assistant.  

On 1/19/2024 at 5:09 AM, adam said:

Also, sometimes guys are better in a 2nd gig, and in this case Kliff would not immediately go from Boys2Men as the HC like he did with the Cards. Being an OC when you already have a HC would allow him to solely focus 100% of his attention on the offense. 

The Bears must be very high on Kingsbury as I read the Bear's brass flew to the west coast to interview him. If they plan on drafting Williams, it would be a brilliant move to sign him as our OC.

13 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The Bears must be very high on Kingsbury as I read the Bear's brass flew to the west coast to interview him. If they plan on drafting Williams, it would be a brilliant move to sign him as our OC.

he has a losing record wherever he coached... nfl or college. not sure that would make me jump for joy.

28 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

he has a losing record wherever he coached... nfl or college. not sure that would make me jump for joy.

Hell's Bells, I sure don't think I would ever want him as a HC, but as an OC, I like the idea. 😉

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

at the very least, theyre gathering info on Caleb

You know, at first I thought it might be a "tell" that they were interested in more info on Caleb, but then I realized that every team looking to draft their next "franchise QB" will be asking Kingsbury his opinions (along with Caleb's HC, Teammates, relatives, friends, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the teams had a background check run on him. By the time they finish, they will not only know what brand of toilet paper he prefers, but which hand he uses to wipe his ass with. LOL)

21 minutes ago, Pixote said:

You know, at first I thought it might be a "tell" that they were interested in more info on Caleb, but then I realized that every team looking to draft their next "franchise QB" will be asking Kingsbury his opinions (along with Caleb's HC, Teammates, relatives, friends, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the teams had a background check run on him. By the time they finish, they will not only know what brand of toilet paper he prefers, but which hand he uses to wipe his ass with. LOL)

Wish Pace had done that with Mitch!! LOL

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

For sure, and with Williams it's extremely necessary. Unlike most rookie prospects, Williams' film is incredible. It doesn't take long to evaluate his talent. It's "generational" BUT he does play out of structure looking for big plays and hold the ball a bit. Rather than taking the short first down receiver, he gambles that a longer route is gonna come open, and if it does he puts the ball right into the window from 50 yards away.

But in the NFL, he's going to have to learn to take what the defense gives you, and that means taking coaching points. Can he listen to authority? Will he moderate his competitive nature? He might be Jeff George in this way. Killer arm, but doesnt know how to play smaller.

When you add the possible mental issues, it becomes clear that knowing Williams the person is the hardest part of this evaluation. The tape is obvious, so more than any other prospect, youre gonna want to talk to EVERYONE and find out everything you can.

Greg Gabriel has already said that there will be some not too flattering stuff coming out about Caleb, so they know some things already that we don't. It scares me. I don't know all the facts of course, so I wouldnt know how to balance those concerns against his potential.

There are also questions about his sexuality, which on the surface doesnt mean much to me. I dont care about that stuff in specific. One of my favorite athletes of all time is Dennis Rodman, so being different doesnt concern me at all. What I wonder about instead is whether some social justice concern will get in the way of football, or if he has a victim narrative for himself at all. For example how Colin Kaepernick took his focus off of football. Some may say he did it for the greater good, and that's fine, but it didn't help the 49ers win games. And Kaepernick was never the athlete that WIlliams is either.

But Rodman was all hustle. Nothing he did outside the game, no matter how flamboyant or headline grabbing ever eclipsed his game on the court. He was a beast getting boards. I also hear Williams is a ridiculously overcompetitive person. Thats a kind of mental unhealthiness as well, but one that I consider a strength in a player. By all accounts Michael Jordan is a miserable person. He NEEDS to be beating everyone all the time at everything just to feel normal. Ditka once threw a chair through a wall because he lost a hand of poker. If it manifests like that kind of drive, then it's a plus.

If for example Williams is gay, and plans to come out as a pro, and in his mind he has a psychological NEED to win multiple superbowls to prove that a gay QB could be the GOAT, then Im all in. If on the opther hand, he might pull back like Cutler did when things didnt go well, and think "Im above all this BS and they just hate me because _______" then it's a tremendous negative.

And I wouldnt possibly know if he even IS gay, or which way that might motivate him or at all. And if its a personality thing, but not sexual in nature, the same kind of questions need answers.

So more than any prospect I can think of, the deep dive into Caleb Williams' psychology must be well under way.

And if you can meet with Kliff Kingsbury and ask him "if you were OC would you want us to draft Caleb? Is he coachable? Do his teammates like him?" and maybe even "What could you do with Justin Fields?" then you gotta do it.

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

And if you can meet with Kliff Kingsbury and ask him "if you were OC would you want us to draft Caleb? Is he coachable? Do his teammates like him?" and maybe even "What could you do with Justin Fields?" then you gotta do it.

They can gather all the info they want through Kingsbury, but I don't want him as OC.  His and Lincoln Riley's offensive style doesn't translate to the NFL.  

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

They can gather all the info they want through Kingsbury, but I don't want him as OC.  His and Lincoln Riley's offensive style doesn't translate to the NFL.  

yeah, I was agreeing with Pix (and now you too!) who said they should meet with him even if only for info gathering alone. And I wonder if part of the plusses they listed when considering firing Getsy was that they could have this process of interviews on this year where they have to make such a huge QB decision.

It's all woven together: the passing offense isnt getting it done, who should we look at at OC and QB, including keeping Getsy and or Fields, and then you start playing out scenarios, and getting all this QB related info right when you need it is a consequence of firing the OC because you need better QB play!

I'm assuming they are going to hire Kubiak if there is not an announcement this week as he would be the only one that they technically couldn't hire yet of the available candidates interviewed.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I'm assuming they are going to hire Kubiak if there is not an announcement this week as he would be the only one that they technically couldn't hire yet of the available candidates interviewed.

makes sense. they may also announce the OC hiring with the assistants, so it doesnt tip our hand and cause competitors to act faster on signing assistants?

Going back in time; When the Bears hired Matt Nagy I was hoping they would have went in an entirely different direction and hired Kyle Shanahan.  Prior to all that the Bears failed once again in 2013 by not hiring Andy Reid and instead brought in Mark Trestman.

The reason why I bring this up now is not the proverbial hindsight 20/20 but to actually point out how much improvement the Bears have at both President and General Manager positions.  Crazy what happens when you hire smart football people to run your organization!

This is a huge offseason for the Bears and the decisions made in 2024 will be make or break the organization for the next several decades.  

I’m intrigued with what Poles and company have done thus far with this rebuild and remain cautiously optimistic as the OC / DC positions are sorted out so they can prepare for the draft and free agency.  

With all that stated I want someone from the Shanahan/Kubiak/McVey coaching tree.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I read where if the Bears hire Shane Waldron, that Greg Olson may come as his QB coach. It's the same arrangement they had in Seattle together. 

That would make sense. It is interesting that they don't label the interviews that way though. All come in for OC interviews then take lesser jobs? Like I go in for a CEO interview then take a job as a custodial engineer.

1 hour ago, adam said:

That would make sense. It is interesting that they don't label the interviews that way though. All come in for OC interviews then take lesser jobs? Like I go in for a CEO interview then take a job as a custodial engineer.

They worked together in Seattle, just because you interviewed for a job doesn't mean you're going to get one. He could wait around and then not get one, he doesn't seem to be at the top of a lot of lists for a OC jobs. CEO compared to janitor may be a bad comparison from OC to QB jobs. More likely a department head.