The Search For Our DC Continues?

Lucky Luciano

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

OK, as I was typing it I added the question because it came to mind he was a 3-4 guy. Won't work. My Bad.

Actually, it's not a Flus thing, but our defense is actually set up nicely to be a 3-4.  All needed is an edge rushing olb.  You could move Sanborn back to the inside with Edmonds, then you have Edwards at Will and Sewell for backup.  The rest are interchangable.  Dexter would be a monster at RDE in a 3-4.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

Actually, it's not a Flus thing, but our defense is actually set up nicely to be a 3-4.  All needed is an edge rushing olb.  You could move Sanborn back to the inside with Edmonds, then you have Edwards at Will and Sewell for backup.  The rest are interchangable.  Dexter would be a monster at RDE in a 3-4.

That would workout but won't happen while Flus is here.

16 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

good point about Dexter. I think we're gonna stay a 4-3, but good thoughts.

45 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Is Vic leaving Miami to rejoin Harbaugh?

I know it was mentioned here earlier if we did go after Harbaugh. 

I heard he was connected to Philly a year or two ago and it didn't line up. Now with them needing a DC, it looks like he may go there.

15 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Is Vic leaving Miami to rejoin Harbaugh?

I know it was mentioned here earlier if we did go after Harbaugh. 

Actually he was let go, he didn't decide just to leave. He's a good coach, he'll find another job in a hurry. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

Joe Barry? Please not another GB coach.

No interest - as position(s) coach fine. But not as a DC.  I will say the Bills AsstHC/Dline coach we interviewed looks really interesting. They have a very good defense and their pass rush has been excellent the past few years.  

21 minutes ago, adam said:

Crisis averted, at least at DC:

I’d say a good hire.  Reunites him with Edmunds to some level.  Although it looks like McDermott still called defensive plays in Buffalo. Still McDermott’s defensive teams led in many categories for a good while. 

Got his first NFL coaching gig with the Bears from 2008-10 while Lovie was HC.  

6 hours ago, adam said:

Getsy and Williams to Waldron and Washington is a pretty big jump in terms of pedigree.

it does seem so, and if Eberflus lets them do their jobs, we have every shot at winning as far as our roster can take us.

I hope Eberflus doesnt make them too strategize too safely. or maybe they will be over-agressive and Eberflus will balance them out perfectly.

With good coordinators, Eberflus wont necessarily hurt the team. I do think that we missed an opportunity to bring in someone who gives us an edge in winning, but I dont think Eberflus will detract at all unless he makes them play too safe.

8 hours ago, adam said:

Getsy and Williams to Waldron and Washington is a pretty big jump in terms of pedigree.

No one has any idea how well this works out but on paper it looks like an upgrade. One year will tell us a lot about their ability.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

No one has any idea how well this works out but on paper it looks like an upgrade. One year will tell us a lot about their ability.

For Waldron compared to Getsy, sure you can't predict the future, but going off of what they both did as play callers, Waldron has been superior in almost every way. The one thing the Bears stood out for the last two years has been rushing efficiency, but that was mainly due to Fields running or the threat of him running and taking away a defender on run plays. If you take away that component of the offense, Getsy was horrific as a play caller. So Waldron would literally have to have a lobotomy and call all WR screens for him to have a worse year than Getsy had in 2023.

For the DC, a tackling dummy would be an upgrade over Williams. So getting a solid defensive coach that is coming from a winning culture is never a bad thing. He is a DL coach, which will only help guys like Dexter and Pickens get another set of eyes on their development. He may even may be able to unlock something in a guy like DRob. Another piece to this is Buffalo has a bunch of free agents on the DLine, I would not be shocked if they picked up a DT and Edge from them. If I had to guess, someone like Jordan Phillips at DT and AJ Espensa on the Edge.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, adam said:

For Waldron compared to Getsy, sure you can't predict the future, but going off of what they both did as play callers, Waldron has been superior in almost every way. The one thing the Bears stood out for the last two years has been rushing efficiency, but that was mainly due to Fields running or the threat of him running and taking away a defender on run plays. If you take away that component of the offense, Getsy was horrific as a play caller. So Waldron would literally have to have a lobotomy and call all WR screens for him to have a worse year than Getsy had in 2023.

For the DC, a tackling dummy would be an upgrade over Williams. So getting a solid defensive coach that is coming from a winning culture is never a bad thing. He is a DL coach, which will only help guys like Dexter and Pickens get another set of eyes on their development. He may even may be able to unlock something in a guy like DRob. Another piece to this is Buffalo has a bunch of free agents on the DLine, I would not be shocked if they picked up a DT and Edge from them. If I had to guess, someone like Jordan Phillips at DT and AJ Espensa on the Edge.

Poles rebuilt the DB room and LBing core at a high level. Buffalo DL was successful so now Poles will address the DL this year with a great DL coach. I think he adds a couple of pieces to the DL and the defense will be top 5 going forward. 

Poles will work on the OL and weapons to continue to remake the roster.