The Search For Our DC Continues?

Lucky Luciano

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the article (the only one on the subject I have seen) about our DC position possibilities. This one centers on who could be hired to be DC to retain continuity to expand on the success our defense had last year.

5 Bears defensive coordinator candidates for maximum continuity

They mentioned and gave reasons for their consideration the following:

Jon Hoke, Bears' CB Coach & Pass Game Coordinator

Dave Borgonzi, Bears' Linebackers Coach

Andre Curtis, Bears' Safeties Coach

Travis Smith, Bears' Defensive Lines Coach

Phil Snow, Bears' Senior Defensive Analyst

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

they dont want a DC, they want an asst DC and Eberflus is the DC i.e. a puppet, This franchise is ridiculous

SF and GB, plus a bunch of other teams, run offensive puppets behind their HC.  Andy Reid did it for a very long time in Philly and KC before finally handing over play calling duties.  I don't see complaints from team building experts about that.  

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

SF and GB, plus a bunch of other teams, run offensive puppets behind their HC.  Andy Reid did it for a very long time in Philly and KC before finally handing over play calling duties.  I don't see complaints from team building experts about that.  

Agree

Happy to see Stinger and AZ agree, for I also see nothing wrong if Flus call plays instead of the new DC. (Although he has also stated he "might" give up the responsibility to the new DC). Not all unusual in today's NFL coaching structure.

ok, riddle me this....

how did our defensive scheme hold up against PLAYOFF teams with good + qb's?

i seem to remember they could pass at will to our soft zones. like maybe green bay has been doing for over 20 years?

how did it hold up before we had a very good defensive end to pressure the qb?

how did it hold up against playoff teams even with sweat? how did green bay counter that? QUICK passes into our zones that nobody covered. they could have beat us by 50 if they wanted to.

how did lovie smith's defense hold up against playoff teams with good + quarterbacks after he fired chico and gave the DC to his linebacker coach to mimic his defensive style and game plan?

i'm sorry but this is the same old shite we have been beaten to a pulp with for over 20 years.

53 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

yeah because they have coaches that call plays well. Eberflus gets into his too safe zone and lost three games that were historic losses given how likely we were to win them going into the last minutes.

Eberflus is not great like those offense coaches are. In fact, he should have been fired. But I dont think anyone can argue that Eberflus' play calling gave us any kind of edge in winning.

13 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

ok, riddle me this....

i seem to remember they could pass at will to our soft zones. like maybe green bay has been doing for over 20 years?

how did it hold up against playoff teams even with sweat? how did green bay counter that? QUICK passes into our zones that nobody covered. they could have beat us by 50 if they wanted to.

how did lovie smith's defense hold up against playoff teams with good + quarterbacks after he fired chico and gave the DC to his linebacker coach to mimic his defensive style and game plan?

i'm sorry but this is the same old shite we have been beaten to a pulp with for over 20 years.

YES

and Brisker complained that they had the DBs playing too soft (too safe!) no matter what the coverage was. Its a joke.

2 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

ok, riddle me this....

We weren't going to do anything of note in the playoffs had we made it.  Finishing 8-9 wasn't going to change anything on the coaching decision.  I've often wondered if the strategy was to keep it simple in Wk 18.  If we win, we win, but maintaining two top 10 picks is not a bad consolation prize.  I hate losing to those arrogant pricks but kicking GB down to 19 in the draft (for the moment) doesn't bother me because it's outside the window of the top talent in this draft.  Plus Jordan Love will be the same inaccurate QB under pressure he's always been and that 9th pick is prime pass rusher territory in this draft.  

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Happy to see Stinger and AZ agree, for I also see nothing wrong if Flus call plays instead of the new DC. (Although he has also stated he "might" give up the responsibility to the new DC). Not all unusual in today's NFL coaching structure.

Me and 54 always got along. I only care that we win, since Flus is here I totally want him successful. Don't care about petty stuff.

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We weren't going to do anything of note in the playoffs had we made it.  Finishing 8-9 wasn't going to change anything on the coaching decision.  I've often wondered if the strategy was to keep it simple in Wk 18.  If we win, we win, but maintaining two top 10 picks is not a bad consolation prize.  I hate losing to those arrogant pricks but kicking GB down to 19 in the draft (for the moment) doesn't bother me because it's outside the window of the top talent in this draft.  Plus Jordan Love will be the same inaccurate QB under pressure he's always been and that 9th pick is prime pass rusher territory in this draft.  

I seen where several so called experts said there was 15-17 blue chip players in this draft. There's always a few that disappoint and several lower picks that find success. Draft are always crap shoots. I think Poles is as a talent evaluator.

3 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

Dallas’ defense was ranked 5th overall on defense going into today’s game (AT DALLAS) and so far have allowed GB to score 34 points . Just last week, while in GB, Chicago allowed 17 total.  

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Dallas’ defense was ranked 5th overall on defense going into today’s game (AT DALLAS) and so far have allowed GB to score 34 points . Just last week, while in GB, Chicago allowed 17 total.  

every week is a different game plan, and you know you cant say that because team A beat team B, and team B beat team C, that means that team A would beat team C.

Also, GB only scored 17 because it was enough to win. Yes our defense is good and getting better, but if GB had needed another touchdown to win the game, they would have called the plays differently too.

And Lucky isnt saying the players, hes saying the play calling on defense. Even Brisker criticized it after the game. And this is the same playcaller that lost THREE games in historic ways by being too safe and too soft and blowing what should have been historically insurmountable leads.

It is absolutely fair to say that Poles has built an excellent defensive roster while simultaneously criticizing Eberflus' scheme and playcalling. Those things are not mutually exclusive, and pointing to the success of one doesnt mean the other isnt substandard.

I'll tell ya what we can agree on - let's not replace Eberflus with Dallas' DC :)

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

And Lucky isnt saying the players, hes saying the play calling on defense. Even Brisker criticized it after the game. And this is the same playcaller that lost THREE games in historic ways by being too safe and too soft and blowing what should have been historically insurmountable leads.

It is absolutely fair to say that Poles has built an excellent defensive roster while simultaneously criticizing Eberflus' scheme and playcalling. Those things are not mutually exclusive, and pointing to the success of one doesnt mean the other isnt substandard.

And I am praying that Flus never forgets those FUBARS and corrects it.  And Poles idea of "consistency" might not be something to desire with Flus.

9 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

And I am praying that Flus never forgets those FUBARS and corrects it.  And Poles idea of "consistency" might not be something to desire with Flus.

of course. we all hope every Bears player and coach plays well and makes great decisions. That includes Poles though too.

I am cynical about this year we are heading into. The offseason will bring lots of great value to the Bears' roster, and I sure hope it excels. But especially if we bring back Fields as the starter, Im really afraid that we will be saying "told you so" next year and have lost a year ont he window of this improving roster, squandering what we bought by tanking in 2022. We put up with that for change, not for consistency. Not until youre winning the division at least do I want to hear about consistency.

We did the brave stuff we needed to do, now is not the time to take our foot off of the gas pedal, or we are going to go back to being trapped at 6 to 9 wins every year like we have been for decades.

Filling out the 2nd WR is important, but QB and head coach are probably the two most important positions, and looking for continuity there from last year is a mistake in my view. I hope Im wrong.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Me and 54 always got along. I only care that we win, since Flus is here I totally want him successful. Don't care about petty stuff.

I meant that you both agree with me about the issue, LOL 

I knew you guys got along with each other. 

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

We did the brave stuff we needed to do, now is not the time to take our foot off of the gas pedal, or we are going to go back to being trapped at 6 to 9 wins every year like we have been for decades.

Filling out the 2nd WR is important, but QB and head coach are probably the two most important positions, and looking for continuity there from last year is a mistake in my view. I hope Im wrong.

I agree that Poles now needs to keep his foot on the gas. Right now I'm leaning to trading the pick, stick with Fields and be set for several drafts to come. But only after they've checked out all the QB candidates and concluded there's not one that is a must have. And yep, I guess right now I want my cake and eat it too. LOL

14 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

I agree that Poles now needs to keep his foot on the gas. Right now I'm leaning to trading the pick, stick with Fields and be set for several drafts to come. But only after they've checked out all the QB candidates and concluded there's not one that is a must have. And yep, I guess right now I want my cake and eat it too. LOL

I think its a wasted year, but if it gets rid of Eberflus then as long as we get a 2025 first round draft pick out of it, to package with our first rounder, to go up and get a rookie QB next year, then it wont be a franchise kill shot. Just a waste of a year on the window of the roster weve built.

If on the other hand we stock up the team around Fields, and leave no ammo to replace him in the 2025 draft, then I think we lived through 2022 for nothing and will be right back to the same awful place we've been for 30 years. 6 to 9 wins. Good enough to not get a top pick where the difference makers are, but bad enough not to win anything in post season.

If they trade Fields, then Im still not thrilled with keeping Eberflus, but at least we'd still be on schedule with the roster. Fields had this year to prove his case, and all he did was prove that he doesnt belong as a starting QB. Will he grow next year? Who knows? Maybe! But I wouldnt bet on it personally. And i wouldnt pay him the big money right now, i think that's a huge error.

Put another way - what is the fair market price for CJ Stroud right now? at least 3 first round picks. You couldnt offer the Texans just our #1 pick for Stroud. Why take a risk when they already have what they have, right? So whatever you get trading that thing down, no matter how amazing, no matter how many positions you fill, it isnt worth a CJ Stroud, no less a Pat Mahomes or a Payton Manning etc.

Now, if there is not a great QB in this draft (maybe there isnt) then just taking a guy with the first few picks doesnt magically make him CJ Stroud. I agree. But there are 4 or 5 tantalizing prospects in this year's draft, and one of them at least is gonna be good. Which one? That's the tough question. But keeping Fields isnt a tough call at all - for me.

Also, having your cake and eating it too could be just trading down to #3 or so, and still taking a QB.

47 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Now, if there is not a great QB in this draft (maybe there isnt) then just taking a guy with the first few picks doesnt magically make him CJ Stroud. I agree. But there are 4 or 5 tantalizing prospects in this year's draft, and one of them at least is gonna be good.

This is why I can't wait for the real dude's to start getting into the deep analysis.  Nobody was talking about Young, Stroud or anyone else being generational last year.  This year, they talked about the big two, but there are three other dudes that entered the equation.  This years QB class is way more heralded than last year's.  From my eye test, Caleb Williams has a ridiculous skillset.  He's great moving in and out of the pocket and can throw an absolute laser from any angle at any time.  Williams release is so fast, defenses cannot react.  Y'all remember Rodgers throwing a sideline pass so quickly that nobody could stop it?  That's that dude.  He can also throw the slant on the same manner.  Drake Maye is prototypical.  6'5, 230, quick release and he's an all around athlete.  He's considered a more athletic Justin Herbert.  I'm going to try to go to the combine so I can get up close and personal.

19 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is why I can't wait for the real dude's to start getting into the deep analysis.  Nobody was talking about Young, Stroud or anyone else being generational last year.  This year, they talked about the big two, but there are three other dudes that entered the equation.  This years QB class is way more heralded than last year's.  From my eye test, Caleb Williams has a ridiculous skillset.  He's great moving in and out of the pocket and can throw an absolute laser from any angle at any time.  Williams release is so fast, defenses cannot react.  Y'all remember Rodgers throwing a sideline pass so quickly that nobody could stop it?  That's that dude.  He can also throw the slant on the same manner.  Drake Maye is prototypical.  6'5, 230, quick release and he's an all around athlete.  He's considered a more athletic Justin Herbert.  I'm going to try to go to the combine so I can get up close and personal.

Im with you. I havent seen anywhere near enough, and a lot of what I need to see, no one has edited yet LOL And I look forward to your first hand accounts of their body language - do they stand apart from, or joke around with the other QBs etc. I wanna see if the other QBs like him on a personal level while they are there?

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Williams got his rise to fandom having a great 2022 and winning the H trophy. Looked good in 2023 but against top 10 teams not so much. Holds the ball a long time and fumbles a lot similar to Justin, but people still say he's generational. I will let Poles make the deep dive and tell us if that's true. Or not. We don't get to see the other stuff but look at stats and get starry eyed , Poles will.

The only thing that bothers me from the rumors I've heard is his dad getting involved and saying they want part of a franchise. That tells me ego problem on the horizon.