Which Rookie QB should we draft to replace Fields?

BearFan PHX

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Daventry said:

Both comments made me shiver, the McCaskey comments more though as my biggest fear is that family will keep the Bears from ever being great.

I think bringing in Warren was the game changer, there is a different level of separation than previously existed. 

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Lots of rumors this time of year. Journalists like to project. 

Absolutely, just posting as they come in, there will be a lot of flip flopping. 

Here is George Kittle giving a vote of confidence towards Fields:

3 hours ago, adam said:

Absolutely, just posting as they come in, there will be a lot of flip flopping. 

Here is George Kittle giving a vote of confidence towards Fields:

Lots of players and former players support Fields. Playing the game or being in the locker room probably gives them more insight than an average fan so I have a tendency to value their opinion more. 

15 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Lots of players and former players support Fields. Playing the game or being in the locker room probably gives them more insight than an average fan so I have a tendency to value their opinion more. 

Inmates running the asylum. I trust Poles is capable of making a great decision on draft day and thta he'll consider all of the noise and do his homework. And yes, that will include players' input, but he's taking a different perspective on the choice that players/former players.

29 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Inmates running the asylum. I trust Poles is capable of making a great decision on draft day and thta he'll consider all of the noise and do his homework. And yes, that will include players' input, but he's taking a different perspective on the choice that players/former players.

Agree with all that, Im sure there are some players or some former players or coaches  he may listen to their advice but his decisions will be a composite of many different aspects. Most important will be his evaluation of CW himself.  

51 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

I trust Poles is capable of making a great decision on draft day and thta he'll consider all of the noise and do his homework.

We know that they conducted 'exit interviews' at the end of the season with everyone.  And outwardly heard from some of the current players on their preference.  I also suspect those interviews weighed in on the decision to retain Flus.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

We know that they conducted 'exit interviews' at the end of the season with everyone.  And outwardly heard from some of the current players on their preference.  I also suspect those interviews weighed in on the decision to retain Flus.

I think more value on the team leaders opinions, DJ Moore, Cole Kmet. JJ, Sweat, Edmunds and Edwards and rookie R Johnson.

1 hour ago, ChileBear said:

Exactly.  Everything I am reading says the rest of the league are assuming the Bears are moving on from Fields.  I have also seen some players, eg Alex Brown, advocating moving on from Fields.

28 minutes ago, Daventry said:

Exactly.  Everything I am reading says the rest of the league are assuming the Bears are moving on from Fields.  I have also seen some players, eg Alex Brown, advocating moving on from Fields.

Whatever narrative you wish to push, there are a long list on both sides of the agrument. I listen to all of them and then try to form my own opinion. With lots more information to come out, a lot of people are saying, Caleb is that guy but that is thier opinions , I'll let the process play out. I'll accept whatever player Poles chooses. He is privy to much more info than anyone else. 

Just another data point, Nate Tice (son of Mike Tice) does a lot of player analysis, and last year he like Stroud going #1 as his #1 rated QB. This year, he says Maye is the clearcut #1. 

In his latest mock, he has the Bears taking Drake Maye at #1: https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nfl-draft-top-10-mock-has-jayden-daniels-going-to-patriots-and-3-other-qbs-make-big-board-of-40-prospects-including-jj-mccarthy-153609292.html

This is going to instantly bring up Trubisky comparisons, which as a fan, are hard for me to separate. 

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

Predicting what Poles WILL do even based on informed opinions is difficult. You never know what someone is thinking.

But what Poles SHOULD do seems really clear. At least as far as keeping Fields as the presumed starter is concerned. The Caleb Williams question is murkier, although I think in time that will become clearer too as more film and info are available to us.

There's a lot of Fields love out there, and I think it's more fan thinking than logical. The guy is super likeable, incredibly athletic, and kind of an underdog. I get why people root for him.

But as we've said a million times, there are gaping holes in his game, and they are right in the core competency for quarterbacking.

We might keep Fields, but we need to draft a high pick rookie QB with the idea that he is the probable starter when he's ready. But I dont think Fields is particularly suited to the "temporary vet who guides and then makes way for a rookie" role.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Whatever narrative you wish to push, there are a long list on both sides of the agrument. I listen to all of them and then try to form my own opinion. With lots more information to come out, a lot of people are saying, Caleb is that guy but that is thier opinions , I'll let the process play out. I'll accept whatever player Poles chooses. He is privy to much more info than anyone else. 

That’s rich coming from you, you push your narrative until it snaps from too much pressure.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Just another data point, Nate Tice (son of Mike Tice) does a lot of player analysis, and last year he like Stroud going #1 as his #1 rated QB. This year, he says Maye is the clearcut #1. 

In his latest mock, he has the Bears taking Drake Maye at #1: https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nfl-draft-top-10-mock-has-jayden-daniels-going-to-patriots-and-3-other-qbs-make-big-board-of-40-prospects-including-jj-mccarthy-153609292.html

This is going to instantly bring up Trubisky comparisons, which as a fan, are hard for me to separate. 

love these contrarian articles. theyre so helpful in trying to get a handle on what's true and what isn't pre draft.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

love these contrarian articles. theyre so helpful in trying to get a handle on what's true and what isn't pre draft.

Honestly, Nate Tice is pretty good. He has been critical of Fields too, and by this mock, thinks Maye is the way to go. I don't necessarily agree going Maye at #1 when the entire metaverse knows WAS would love Williams. Make them work for it. This could be the whole smoke screen they are doing right now with Williams, who knows.

I am just not counting out Maye as I don't want to have the same feeling I had when I heard Trubisky's name, that was such a disappointment. The good thing is Maye had a lot more reps than both Trubisky and Fields in college and is only a RS Sophomore, is only 21 and would be just turning 22 before the start of the season. 

This is pretty cool to read about Maye: "Maye’s arm talent gives his offense access to the entire field. His work in the quick passing game provides his receiving options the opportunity to gain yards after the catch. Maye’s touch and arc on passes are impressive. He does a good job layering passes over the middle of the field underneath defenders." 

Well crap, these sites has him as QB1:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089376-drake-maye-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-unc-qb

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/drake-maye-draft-scouting-2024/

35 minutes ago, adam said:

Honestly, Nate Tice is pretty good. He has been critical of Fields too, and by this mock, thinks Maye is the way to go. I don't necessarily agree going Maye at #1 when the entire metaverse knows WAS would love Williams. Make them work for it. This could be the whole smoke screen they are doing right now with Williams, who knows.

I am just not counting out Maye as I don't want to have the same feeling I had when I heard Trubisky's name, that was such a disappointment. The good thing is Maye had a lot more reps than both Trubisky and Fields in college and is only a RS Sophomore, is only 21 and would be just turning 22 before the start of the season. 

This is pretty cool to read about Maye: "Maye’s arm talent gives his offense access to the entire field. His work in the quick passing game provides his receiving options the opportunity to gain yards after the catch. Maye’s touch and arc on passes are impressive. He does a good job layering passes over the middle of the field underneath defenders." 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089376-drake-maye-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-unc-qb

My guy Drake. First, we fleece Washington for picks.  Then we draft Maye.  Adam Sheffter said he's almost certain the Bears will get a first for Justin. (That's what he's hearing)

35 minutes ago, adam said:

I think there are a bunch of really intriguing QBs in the draft this year. I wouldnt be 100% sure that JJ McCarthy isnt gonna come into the league and ball out, but of course the likelihood of that is less than some of the bigger names.

And you're right about making them work for it. If you've identified that Bo Nix is the cream here for example and everyone is missing it, then there's no particular reason to take him at #1 and miss out on Caleb Fever trade downs.

Then again, you don't want to lose him to another team that might be thinking the same, so it's about balancing risk and reward. It sure ain't easy. Luckily Poles seems to excel at this kind of analysis. He plays the draft very well.

The key is going to be the QB analysis and grading that goes on at Halas Hall.

I don't mind taking the #2 guy from a list that our scouts say are both Tier 1 similar prospects, and getting some draft value in return. There's so much chaos in QB outcomes, that if you have guys ranked in the same neighborhood, taking the lower one makes a lot of sense.

But if in the end Williams really is in a stratosphere of his own, then we should just thank the football gods that he is available to us, and take him at #1.

14 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:
55 minutes ago, adam said:

I think there are a bunch of really intriguing QBs in the draft this year. I wouldnt be 100% sure that JJ McCarthy isnt gonna come into the league and ball out, but of course the likelihood of that is less than some of the bigger names.

Spencer Rattler is coming into his own as well.  He was a 5star out of highschool.  He was also an arrogant prick.  He was slinging it at the senior bowl. (Game and practice)

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Spencer Rattler is coming into his own as well.  He was a 5star out of highschool.  He was also an arrogant prick.  He was slinging it at the senior bowl. (Game and practice)

Yeah, Ive been seeing his name all over. Im intrigued, but Im wary of saying ahything about any of them until i watch about a million Youtube predraft videos that havent even been made yet. Especially long all 22s that show a game and not just highlights.

But he's a perfect example of a guy who could be the best one in the draft (some say), but isnt getting enough love, although it is starting to come now.

Every year in March and April QBs rocket up the board as the hype rolls in. And sometimes, it's right!

It's gonna be a dynamic ride for sure. Is Caleb that much better that the fighting for slots 2 through 5 are where the chaos will stay, or is stuff yet to come out that's gonna throw this all into question.

And if it does, how do we know it's not smoke from Washington wanting us to pass on Caleb for example. Fun stuff.

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yeah, Ive been seeing his name all over. Im intrigued, but Im wary of saying ahything about any of them until i watch about a million Youtube predraft videos that havent even been made yet. Especially long all 22s that show a game and not just highlights.

But he's a perfect example of a guy who could be the best one in the draft (some say), but isnt getting enough love, although it is starting to come now.

Every year in March and April QBs rocket up the board as the hype rolls in. And sometimes, it's right!

It's gonna be a dynamic ride for sure. Is Caleb that much better that the fighting for slots 2 through 5 are where the chaos will stay, or is stuff yet to come out that's gonna throw this all into question.

And if it does, how do we know it's not smoke from Washington wanting us to pass on Caleb for example. Fun stuff.

He's got a live arm and great release.  He'll throw it anywhere.  Very mobile and multi-sport athletic...

2 hours ago, Daventry said:

That’s rich coming from you, you push your narrative until it snaps from too much pressure.

And you dont? Its never pressure to have opinions, there is no right or wrong opinions, only wrong stats, wrong facts , misquotes. 

definition of opinion:

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

1 hour ago, adam said:

People are just posting their opinions, everyone has one. In the end only one opinion counts. POLES

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's got a line arm and great release.  Very mobile and multi-sport athletic...

someone posted a link to a former Jets scout who worked under Parcells and he thinks Caleb is a bust and Rattler is the man of the draft. It might have been adam who posted it? If Im wrong, whoever posted it, please take credit. I found it here from one of you guys.

He likes Milton and Daniels too. Milton is very interesting to me. I need to watch a lot more film next month. :)

https://firstroundmock.com/2024/01/shocking-2024-nfl-draft-board-released-quarterbacks/