Which Rookie QB should we draft to replace Fields?

BearFan PHX

Does anyone have a take on Michael Pratt ? I seen a couple preseason ranking that had him top 5 for QBs and never heard much about him.

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
185 283 65.4 2,406 8.5 22 5 50 158.9
215 338 63.6 3,010 8.9 27 5 87 161.8
189 328 57.6 2,381 7.3 21 8 59 134.8
140 254 55.1 1,806 7.1 20 8 52 134.5

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Combine plans are growing.  Five of us going. (Dad in tow ) All three of my buddies have a fun claim to fame.  One played against Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders on one team and Sean Payton and Jurko on another.(he went on to play pro football in Germany for fifteen years)  The other played WR for the old ball coach at Florida.  The last, was in the movie Wildcats with Goldie Hawn.  He was the one that had Finch fall on him.  He got paid an extra fifty bucks cash for that.  All told, I'll have a decent scouting team there.

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

My Combine plans are growing.  Five of us going. (Dad in tow ) All three of my buddies have a fun claim to fame.  One played against Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders on one team and Sean Payton and Jurko on another.(he went on to play pro football in Germany for fifteen years)  The other played WR for the old ball coach at Florida.  The last, was in the movie Wildcats with Goldie Hawn.  He was the one that had Finch fall on him.  He got paid an extra fifty bucks cash for that.  All told, I'll have a decent scouting team there.

Way cool , interested  in what feelings you have on what you see. 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

My guy Drake. First, we fleece Washington for picks.  Then we draft Maye.  Adam Sheffter said he's almost certain the Bears will get a first for Justin. (That's what he's hearing)

1st rounder for Justin would be great.  In my mind that is a huge win and its great for Fields too.  

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm taking a note book for sure...

sounds like a ton of fun - please try to see how Caleb is socially with the other QBs - like do they initiate conversations with him, does he initiate with them, do they laugh together etc.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

My guy Drake. First, we fleece Washington for picks.  Then we draft Maye.  Adam Sheffter said he's almost certain the Bears will get a first for Justin. (That's what he's hearing)

that's extremely interesting. do you know where he said it? id love to hear it in context. He's usually right and doesnt just put out rumors.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

sounds like a ton of fun - please try to see how Caleb is socially with the other QBs - like do they initiate conversations with him, does he initiate with them, do they laugh together etc.

That's actually 90% of what I'll be focusing on.  The other part is the eye test of seeing it in person.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

that's extremely interesting. do you know where he said it? id love to hear it in context. He's usually right and doesnt just put out rumors.

It was on espn1000.  They asked him if he thinks they could get a good draft pick for Justin.  He said they can easily get a first.  They said really?  Then, he said something like, "from what I'm hearing, I'd be shocked if they didn't".

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It was on espn1000.  They asked him if he thinks they could get a good draft pick for Justin.  He said they can easily get a first.  They said really?  Then, he said something like, "from what I'm hearing, I'd be shocked if they didn't".

WOW. If that happens then someone is definitely putting their money where their mouth is on Justin. I guess you would need to have two teams that felt that way, because if it was only one, then the price wouldnt go up to a first.

That's very good news. I wonder where he will land.

11 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

WOW. If that happens then someone is definitely putting their money where their mouth is on Justin. I guess you would need to have two teams that felt that way, because if it was only one, then the price wouldnt go up to a first.

That's very good news. I wonder where he will land.

That's kinda the thought I had.  He also stated that teams have already been sniffing around concerning the number one pick.  I'm betting it happens shortly after the combine, if we move the pick.

( That's what I'm hearing) from who? The only substantial study done with that was one writer send a questionnaire to all 32 GMs. 10 responded to it. A few said a second round , 4 said a third and a few had multi picks like a second and a forth, a third and fifth. None said a # 1. I will try to find the article , I think he was with ESPN or the Athletic.

54 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

( That's what I'm hearing) from who? The only substantial study done with that was one writer send a questionnaire to all 32 GMs. 10 responded to it. A few said a second round , 4 said a third and a few had multi picks like a second and a forth, a third and fifth. None said a # 1. I will try to find the article , I think he was with ESPN or the Athletic.

Adam Schefter is not the average schmuck off the street.  He and Ian Rappaport are the ones that people talk to.  But, of course you already know that.  C'mon man...

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

1st rounder for Justin would be great.  In my mind that is a huge win and it’s great for Fields too.  

Wait a minute… a first for Justin?  Didn’t someone else point out if other teams view Caleb as the #1 overall talent so should we, the why would team(s) value Justin as having potential #1 pick trade value?  I thought he sucked?  

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wait a minute… a first for Justin?  Didn’t someone else point out if other teams view Caleb as the #1 overall talent so should we, the why would team(s) value Justin as having potential #1 pick trade value?  I thought he sucked?  

theres a difference between the #1 overall pick, and a first rounder. If that's what you were saying?

to the point of whether Justin sucks or not, I think we all know he is a tremendous athlete. He has a GREAT arm. He's accurate, throws the long ball. Hes a hard worker, a great leader, he improvises really well. Hes exciting to watch and sells tickets.

All that is true and those are reasons why other teams may wish to try to make a reclamation project out of Justin.

And we also know that Justin has a big shortcoming in that he doesn't read defenses well, doesn't pull the trigger on open receivers and does most of his best work after he's broken the play and is improvising.

Somewhere there are coaches that think they can break him of that habit. I doubt anyone thinks they are going to win a superbowl with Fields unless he does fix those issues.

But Nagy couldn't unlock him, and lost his job.

Getsy couldn't unlock him and did lose his job. Eberflus almost (perhaps) lost his job too.

That's why he sucks, and why he is interesting to some teams. It's why some people want to trade him and others want to keep him.

It isnt that one or the other is wrong, theyre both true. But you know all of this of course already.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

He said it on ESPN radio. Said he thinks for sure a 2 and a good chance a 1. With that said, I wonder who would offer a 1. Raiders were a possibility but I don’t see it happening. 

Falcons are the crazy odd ball scenario I suppose. Steelers is probably only team I can think of - but who would they be bidding against. Now I could see more teams offer a future 1st. Bucs if Mayfield left would be another possibility. Maybe Seattle? 

39 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

A first is not the #1 pick. I am still skeptical of Adam but qbs are valuable and he still has 2 years under control before he gets crazy expensive - so I absolutely could see a team who loves the tools and leadership who isn’t picking high enough taking a shot. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Adam Schefter is not the average schmuck off the street.  He and Ian Rappaport are the ones that people talk to.  But, of course you already know that.  C'mon man...

He gets inside information and a first would be great but this time of year a lot of crab floating out there. Second is the reasonable answer.  What GM is going to tell any reporter what he's going to do this early , the process is just starting, it's not a week from the draft. Speculation or false reporting are options to. Most new coaches are from teams needing QBs, you think new hires already have their plans finished? 

38 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He said it on ESPN radio. Said he thinks for sure a 2 and a good chance a 1. With that said, I wonder who would offer a 1. Raiders were a possibility but I don’t see it happening. 

Falcons are the crazy odd ball scenario I suppose. Steelers is probably only team I can think of - but who would they be bidding against. Now I could see more teams offer a future 1st. Bucs if Mayfield left would be another possibility. Maybe Seattle? 

Yeah I have since found it on youtube, and he was very confident in his voice. and he said that all you need is two teams that want him to bring the price to that level, and of course thats right.

Another first round pick is greatly welcome! Maybe we could get that center near pick #20 or so if its not a high pick.

Bears offseasons have felt like video games the last couple of years!

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He gets inside information and a first would be great but this time of year a lot of crab floating out there. Second is the reasonable answer.  What GM is going to tell any reporter what he's going to do this early , the process is just starting, it's not a week from the draft. Speculation or false reporting are options to. Most new coaches are from teams needing QBs, you think new hires already have their plans finished? 

I tend to think best case is you get a 2nd this year and a conditional 2nd next year. Which isn’t bad. But if somehow two teams competed that could make things interesting. Says Seahawks and Steelers were both interested or Falcons were pushing heavy with their 2nd and 3rd and say a future 3rd? Does that cause Steelers to make a bigger push? 

Let’s say you get Falcons 2nd and 3rd - puts Bears in spot to maybe grab the top center in round 2 and than go safety in round 3. 

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yeah I have since found it on youtube, and he was very confident in his voice. and he said that all you need is two teams that want him to bring the price to that level, and of course thats right.

Another first round pick is greatly welcome! Maybe we could get that center near pick #20 or so if its not a high pick.

Bears offseasons have felt like video games the last couple of years!

I would want a center but I think 20 is too early to take one - so you move down 10 spots or so - what I don’t know is what does that get you in picks? Is 10 spots like a 3rd rounder or a 2nd? If I could move down 10 spots and get a mid to late 2nd as well and than grab center and say a guard or safety or whomever is best available let’s do it. 

31 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I would want a center but I think 20 is too early to take one - so you move down 10 spots or so - what I don’t know is what does that get you in picks? Is 10 spots like a 3rd rounder or a 2nd? If I could move down 10 spots and get a mid to late 2nd as well and than grab center and say a guard or safety or whomever is best available let’s do it. 

20 is generally too early to take a center, but its where im seeing that JPJ guy going in some updated mocks.

But you said take best OL avail, so if its an OT or OG thats cool too.

Plus we dont even know yet what we're gonna get in free agency. Maybe by the draft some more positions on the OL will be filled.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

And you dont? Its never pressure to have opinions, there is no right or wrong opinions, only wrong stats, wrong facts , misquotes. 

definition of opinion:

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Repeating the same view again and again, often nonsensically, is pushing.  Pushing equals pressure.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Case in point 

2 hours ago, Daventry said:

Repeating the same view again and again, often nonsensically, is pushing.  Pushing equals pressure.  

That's funny, if Poles drafts Williams, I have no problem with it at all, if he retains Fields, you will.  Showing other liked minded peoples posts is not pushing anything , it's equally expressing one side of a conversation. It's not any different that you stating your opinion. I'm not getting upset over your opinion but you are mine.  It's not any different than saying I liked Flus coming back, you did not. Poles kept Flus, The nonsense is you complaining about Flus, he's our coach and your opinion changed nothing.