Which Rookie QB should we draft to replace Fields?

BearFan PHX

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've said it many times, Drake Maye is our guy.  Drake F'n Maye!  The momentum is building.  Tim Hassellbeck and Dan Orlovsky are the latest.  The was also a video I watched where a group of NFL executives where talking about generational QBs and they said, "out of the last four years, they have seen three.  Lawrence, Williams and Maye."

I also watched an SC interview with Maye before the season.  All the dude does is compete.  It doesn't matter if it's with Sam Howell or his brothers and Dad.  He doesn't care if it's golf or pickleball.  He's made for the moment and it won't be too big for him.  Eat it Grizz!

I hope there is a non-Williams generational option. I worry about Caleb a lot. I would love to have another option!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

I know its early but a heavy lean towards Williams(not my favorite). I'm not sure if Poles is going to be able to pass on this guy. If he takes him, I'll get behind CW. The bitchdom in him scares the life outta me though.

yeah there is no denying his talent. That's why Im hoping someone else emerges with similar amazing talent without the same risk. Hes hard to walk away from, but id love to if we could find another candidate equally as intriguing.

There are a lot of good QBs available this year, but predicting which one(s) are gonna be elite aint easy.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've said it many times, Drake Maye is our guy.  Drake F'n Maye!  The momentum is building.  Tim Hassellbeck and Dan Orlovsky are the latest.  The was also a video I watched where a group of NFL executives where talking about generational QBs and they said, "out of the last four years, they have seen three.  Lawrence, Williams and Maye."

I also watched an SC interview with Maye before the season.  All the dude does is compete.  It doesn't matter if it's with Sam Howell or his brothers and Dad.  He doesn't care if it's golf or pickleball.  He's made for the moment and it won't be too big for him.  Eat it Grizz!

Some may call me an antagonist, I will call you delirious!  😆

Maye has played in the system that Mack Brown built.  Brown also produced QBs like Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Major Applewhite, Chris Simms and RB Cedric Benson while he was HC for Texas.  In the three (?) years Maye has been with the Tarheels in the powerhouse ACC, he's only eclipsed Trubisky in passing yardage his second year (2022 -4,321) to Trubisky's last year (2016-3,748).  Otherwise last season Maye produced 3,608 passing yards and only played 12 games(?) versus 14 the previous year.  Outisde of that, Maye has more total rush yards than does Trubisky (1,209 to Mitch's 439).  But then, I thought we were trying to avoid a running QB?  I've said it once...he wears #10 and is clad in the same powder blue as the former Mr. Ohio.  

I feel like we're re-enacting a Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe discussion.   🤣

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ha! I have thought that many times here!

Whenever anyone thinks that though, do we always imagine ourselves to be Sharpe, and the other guy to be Bayless? lol

15 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Some may call me an antagonist, I will call you delirious!  😆

Maye has played in the system that Mack Brown built.  Brown also produced QBs like Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Major Applewhite, Chris Simms and RB Cedric Benson while he was HC for Texas.  In the three (?) years Maye has been with the Tarheels in the powerhouse ACC, he's only eclipsed Trubisky in passing yardage his second year (2022 -4,321) to Trubisky's last year (2016-3,748).  Otherwise last season Maye produced 3,608 passing yards and only played 12 games(?) versus 14 the previous year.  Outisde of that, Maye has more total rush yards than does Trubisky (1,209 to Mitch's 439).  But then, I thought we were trying to avoid a running QB?  I've said it once...he wears #10 and is clad in the same powder blue as the former Mr. Ohio.  

But but but Skip.  You forgot Sam Howell.  At his advanced age Mack Brown isn't running anything.  Maye has those numbers with two OC's in his last two years.  Call it delusional.  I got a vibe...

As far as stats go, defenses started playing seven and eight off the ball to diminish the deep passing game, so Drake beat them underneath.  Maturity...

Edited by Mongo3451

There could be several good QBs in this draft but only one generational QB, Williams. If he ain't that guy the whole narrative changes on who to take or boat load of picks. Poles said he needed to be blown away, maybe someone is that. That's what the process is for.

Heard some great reviews from former USC players, Brendan Rice/WR and Marshawn Lloyd/RB. They said Williams was a great leader and good teammate. Now just like Fields friends on the team , you have to take their opinions with a grain of thought, first time I heard that about Williams.

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Heard some great reviews from former USC players, Brendan Rice/WR and Marshawn Lloyd/RB. They said Williams was a great leader and good teammate. Now just like Fields friends on the team , you have to take their opinions with a grain of thought, first time I heard that about Williams.

Something else to consider.  Was he named team captain? That will tell you a lot.  And yes, he was.

It interesting is listening to just general Senior Bowl coverage, or other team's coverage as it is very unbiased opinions about the Bears (except NFC North Podcasts/etc). The consensus is Bears will take Williams at #1, and that almost seems like a fact. They are talking more about where Fields could potentially go, and how much it will cost.

Teams like Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Vegas are the 3 most popular destinations. When you look at their fanbase, most are super excited to get Fields and feel like he was given a raw deal in Chicago. 

15 minutes ago, adam said:

It interesting is listening to just general Senior Bowl coverage, or other team's coverage as it is very unbiased opinions about the Bears (except NFC North Podcasts/etc). The consensus is Bears will take Williams at #1, and that almost seems like a fact. They are talking more about where Fields could potentially go, and how much it will cost.

Teams like Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Vegas are the 3 most popular destinations. When you look at their fanbase, most are super excited to get Fields and feel like he was given a raw deal in Chicago. 

That's because it's true.

42 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This time the league knows Bears are keeping the pick.  Last year - I think league knew they probably weren't moving the pick so there was some early talk - even than - most of the national league chatter a year ago was on will they take Jalen Carter or someone else at 1 or move down.  Not a ton of talk last year about Bears going QB path.

I think after the interviews - enough people probably got a perception of where Bears lean and quite frankly I think they also just look at it and see a GM who didn't draft the guy and a coach who didn't either.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

quite frankly I think they also just look at it and see a GM who didn't draft the guy and a coach who didn't either.  

This is so true. It shouldn't necessarily matter, but it does. We are all human.

And just logistically, if you keep Justin, and pass on Williams, and Williams burns up the league, and Justin doesnt, Poles is likely fired right then and there. He created the perfect situation with a 2022 tank year and a roster rebuild, and then he have blown the big moment he'd paid all that for.

But, if you move on from Justin, and he balls out, and Williams has a slow start, you've got a couple more seasons to try to develop him into something, and you're not immediately on the chopping block.

Those of us who want to move on from Justin weren't haters from the beginning. I was extremely excited for him, and we gave him three years to show something. I know they were tough years. I understand why everything couldnt go the way Fields wanted it to, but for me, I didnt really even see many flashes.

But fair or not, we did give Fields three years of enthusiastic hope.

And a rookie QB will get the same here. I won't be calling for a rookies head if he makes mistakes. Ill be complaining about them and saying he has to get them cleaned up. And looking and hoping for progress.

All this to say that keeping Fields is much more dangerous to Poles' job short term than drafting a rookie would be. And like you say, it'd be "his guy" - you'd hope the GM makes the best decisions they can without thinking about those things, but i think anyone would.

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is so true. It shouldn't necessarily matter, but it does. We are all human.

And just logistically, if you keep Justin, and pass on Williams, and Williams burns up the league, and Justin doesnt, Poles is likely fired right then and there. He created the perfect situation with a 2022 tank year and a roster rebuild, and then he have blown the big moment he'd paid all that for.

But, if you move on from Justin, and he balls out, and Williams has a slow start, you've got a couple more seasons to try to develop him into something, and you're not immediately on the chopping block.

Those of us who want to move on from Justin weren't haters from the beginning. I was extremely excited for him, and we gave him three years to show something. I know they were tough years. I understand why everything couldnt go the way Fields wanted it to, but for me, I didnt really even see many flashes.

But fair or not, we did give Fields three years of enthusiastic hope.

And a rookie QB will get the same here. I won't be calling for a rookies head if he makes mistakes. Ill be complaining about them and saying he has to get them cleaned up. And looking and hoping for progress.

All this to say that keeping Fields is much more dangerous to Poles' job short term than drafting a rookie would be. And like you say, it'd be "his guy" - you'd hope the GM makes the best decisions they can without thinking about those things, but i think anyone would.

Actually, there is one more layer to this, and it may be the most important aspect when you are talking about the logistics of it. If Fields kills it with Atlanta, Poles and Flus can blame Getsy!! Seriously. So with Williams, all he can't do is become a bust and Poles for sure will be safe for several years. If Fields stays the same or is worse somewhere else, they can say, see it was him. So they have an out basically on 75% of the outcomes. The only one they can't overcome is the bust one, and that would apply with any QB, not just Williams. 

So in reality, drafting a QB and trading Fields provides them with the best odds for long term success. The odds of Fields all of a sudden becoming significantly better with a 3rd Offensive staff is very low. Those are probably the lowest odds of any outcome.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Funny you say that when you use the same argument to advocate for Fields.  Your arguments are outright ridiculous.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That’s because the narrative of rooting for the underdog who has been mistreated is automatically popular.  That’s because those fans haven’t sat and watched Fields suck and lose for three years.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Huh?

My point was, the genius called Stinger, defying logic and plowing on with constant idiocy, would dismiss that positive trait of CW and use his vast skills to reverse logic again and make a positive a negative.

19 minutes ago, Daventry said:

My point was, the genius called Stinger, defying logic and plowing on with constant idiocy, would dismiss that positive trait of CW and use his vast skills to reverse logic again and make a positive a negative.

Ahh, sarcasm...

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Or Fields doesn't progress and you passed on Drake Maye, who is the other generational QB in this draft.  Queue a certain bruin from the last untamed wilderness...😎

1 hour ago, adam said:

Actually, there is one more layer to this, and it may be the most important aspect when you are talking about the logistics of it. If Fields kills it with Atlanta, Poles and Flus can blame Getsy!! Seriously. So with Williams, all he can't do is become a bust and Poles for sure will be safe for several years. If Fields stays the same or is worse somewhere else, they can say, see it was him. So they have an out basically on 75% of the outcomes. The only one they can't overcome is the bust one, and that would apply with any QB, not just Williams. 

So in reality, drafting a QB and trading Fields provides them with the best odds for long term success. The odds of Fields all of a sudden becoming significantly better with a 3rd Offensive staff is very low. Those are probably the lowest odds of any outcome.

good point!

the big question is, is it Caleb, Maye, or maybe a darkhorse like Rattler at #9

(I dunno, I'm just saying someone from left field, I have a lot more film watching to do over the next several months before i can even say who that could/should be)

But this is the most significant decision for the Bears in a long long time. And the outcome will ripple through our future for the next 15 years. They have to get this one right.

Can you imagine if we are on the precipice of a Hall Of Fame QB for the Bears? We've all been fighting so much about Justin (me a lot!) that maybe we've (or I've) forgotten to get excited for a hero in Chicago at QB.

What if it does end up being as simple as taking Caleb Williams at #1, and he becomes the star of the league and we dominate for a decade? It is not a rare outcome here at all. It's gotta be at least 1 out of 3 that that happens if we take him.

That's pretty f*cking exciting.