Free Agency 2024

adam

3 hours ago, adam said:

If the Bears just add say Williams, Odunze, and a Center, DT, Edge, or S in the 2nd round, with all mid to low tier FAs, is this team that much better than other teams that also had 1st and 2nd round picks? Sweat (25), Edmunds (22), Moore (16), Kmet (11), and Davis (11) are the only players over 10M. So if you add JJ for 20-ish that's around 105M in your top 6.

SF has 10 players over 14M and $111M in their top 4 players. 

KC has 7 players over 10M, and that includes Mahomes at 57M, which essentially counts as 2. Their top 3 make up 108M.

So either way, it feels like to me the Bears are going to add at least 1 player to the 10M club beyond the JJ extension.

Yes but not 20+ mil club. I think we are one year away from adding that one player that takes us over the top. I think if he's drafting a rookie QB, that sets his plan back at least a year. Odds of a Stroud season are slim. More Bryce Young seasons happen with rookies. The best QB in the league started fast after sitting for a year. That contributed to him being good right away. 

Question: if we get the best OC in free agency, do we draft a center with a high pick? I think he finds a center and FS in free agency, he can find quality at a reasonable price. He will leave his top picks for a QB, DL and weapons. As for now he has 2 first rounders and no second. In the third ,pick 75,  , he will add a quality player but not instant starter. 

He needs some more top 100 picks to fill all our major needs .  2 =4 th rounders and a fifth  He will acquire more picks, one and nine trades could add 4 more top 100 picks, don't ignore that as a viable option. NE use to trade down and get extra picks all the time.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Question: if we get the best OC in free agency, do we draft a center with a high pick? I think he finds a center and FS in free agency, he can find quality at a reasonable price.

The free agent center market is good, so it may be the best option to get one there.  That's only if he gets a legit starter.  I might double dip on safeties but drafting one and signing a vet.  I always thought Terrell Smith would be a good safety candidate due to his size.  I would definitely draft a stud OG and WR.

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

We don't have enough pics to sign and draft the same position. So no.

we need rotational DEs too. I dont think we will sign a $20Million+ DE and draft one in the first round for sure youre right about that. but we might sign an $8Mil DE and take one at #9?

Maybe a Jadeveon Clowney type - in case the draft turns, and you cant get that DE at #9.

And this goes for every position of need. You fill holes going into the draft, and then you better a couple positions with high picks, and the mid level free agents fight for playing time with the rookies, one starts, and one is rotational.

but yeah, if you sign clear starters to real money, then you probably dont draft that position high too.

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The free agent center market is good, so it may be the best option to get one there.  That's only if he gets a legit starter.  I might double dip on safeties but drafting one and signing a vet.  I always thought Terrell Smith would be a good safety candidate due to his size.  I would definitely draft a stud OG and WR.

This is Jenkins last year so I think he definitely brings in another guard because of his injury history. He is a pro bowl type when he plays but has injuries every year.  As people has mentioned before, Samuel probably doesn't have a big payday coming as a slot WR,  it would be nice to add  him to the WR room. 

I still he might bring back Mooney on a minimum contract. If he still plays bad, we can cut him for better depth.

I would think this would be more prevalent in discussing than

a beaten up draft a QB drama. 

So does anyone know if we can resign our own free agents before the official period starts?  

If so: Justin Jones ( had a good year)

Mercedes Lewis ( great blocker)

Josh Blackwell ( great STer  and competent backup)

I think if we bring back anyone else, it's late in the free agency period after we didn't fill a spot.

Is there any rostered players that improve enough this year to fill a need? 

Has Elijah Hicks improved enough to take over for EJAC?

What about Quindell Johnson? 

Who do you want as a realistic addition to the WR room?

I would eliminate any  expensive signings thinking Poles is going go with value players after tagging JJ in free agency. I think Mike Evans , Michael Pittman, Calvin Rigley , Tee Higgins are going to be to expensive. 

I think Curtis Samuel would be a perfect addition. Best friends with DJ Moore, played at Ohio State ( alumni of JF) and adds speed (4.32)  to the room.  Should cost 10 to 12 mil . Has some rushing abilities.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

Olin Kreutz was on the SCORE today and they asked him who he would bring in at OC. He mentioned Brain Allen ( Rams cut) who if injuries were behind him would be worth looking at. Also Aaron Brewer from Titans.

The guys at The Atlantic recommended Lloyd Cushenberry, the center from the Broncos.  He's only 26.  They don't think that they'll be able to pay him.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The guys at The Atlantic recommended Lloyd Cushenberry, the center from the Broncos.  He's only 26.  They don't think that they'll be able to pay him.

He's going to get paid, as well as Andre James from the  Raiders. Connor Williams would probably be the top center but his injury won't allow him to play until midseason. The two O!in mentioned could probably be brought in on reasonable deals.

Here's a list of top free agents from the Athletic.  Lots of Ss, Centers and TEs,edges. 

A few thoughts, who falls in the money range that Poles would sign a FA.

Will Poles go with a 3 year 57 mil for Cusenberry? That is what I seen suggested for his contract. I doubt it

Second choice: Tyler Biadasz. Young , strong, probably be around 10  mil a year.  

WR, I think Curtis Samuel makes the most sense, friends with DJ, adds speed won't be expensive.

TE: Fant should come with reasonable money. Has ties to Waldron. Still has upside.

S:  I think Winfield and McKinney will be to expensive, so more likely types like Julian Blackmon ( played for Flus before) and a Geno Stone. Led Ss in interceptions this year. 

DEs: lots of high paid ones this year. I think he looks more 2 nd tier types. AJ Epensa or Josh Uche. Both played limited snaps and had decent stats. Kind of like the Walker signing.  An outlier would pay a  Clowney a one year 12 mil deal? He made 2.5 last year

I'll predict 

DE , AJ Espensa

FS Julian Blackmon

C Biadasz

TE Fant

WR Samuel 

https://theathletic.com/5280918/2024/02/19/free-agency-rankings-nfl-best-available?source=user-shared-article

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's a lot of loot.  No center has ever made over 15 mil a year.  Three years 45 mil sounds better.

Went back and listen to the podcast again and it was 4=57 mi!. Sounds much better. Also , OTC has him valued at 10.3 mil. Which is usually close to real value. He is rated the best available center, definitely Poles will target him or a surprise name.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Here's a list of top free agents from the Athletic.  Lots of Ss, Centers and TEs,edges. 

A few thoughts, who falls in the money range that Poles would sign a FA.

Will Poles go with a 3 year 57 mil for Cusenberry? That is what I seen suggested for his contract. I doubt it

Second choice: Tyler Biadasz. Young , strong, probably be around 10  mil a year.  

WR, I think Curtis Samuel makes the most sense, friends with DJ, adds speed won't be expensive.

TE: Fant should come with reasonable money. Has ties to Waldron. Still has upside.

S:  I think Winfield and McKinney will be to expensive, so more likely types like Julian Blackmon ( played for Flus before) and a Geno Stone. Led Ss in interceptions this year. 

DEs: lots of high paid ones this year. I think he looks more 2 nd tier types. AJ Epensa or Josh Uche. Both played limited snaps and had decent stats. Kind of like the Walker signing.  An outlier would pay a  Clowney a one year 12 mil deal? He made 2.5 last year

I'll predict 

DE , AJ Espensa

FS Julian Blackmon

C Biadasz

TE Fant

WR Samuel 

https://theathletic.com/5280918/2024/02/19/free-agency-rankings-nfl-best-available?source=user-shared-article

Fant, Espensa, and Samuel make the most sense. Blackmon and Biadasz are just names in positions of need for me. 

Coming March 11, free agency takes over the narrative.

Who's the first signing Poles makes? 

After JJ, I think he only makes one splash signing ( money contract). 

Samuel is friends with DJ and could see him taking a quick contract from Poles instead of waiting for a big contract.

Also Poles will jump on the center he wants. The extra boost in cap space loosens up Poles strict value contracts. Cusenberry would be nice. 

Next would be TE,  FS and edge. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Coming March 11, free agency takes over the narrative.

Who's the first signing Poles makes? 

After JJ, I think he only makes one splash signing ( money contract). 

Samuel is friends with DJ and could see him taking a quick contract from Poles instead of waiting for a big contract.

Also Poles will jump on the center he wants. The extra boost in cap space loosens up Poles strict value contracts. Cusenberry would be nice. 

Next would be TE,  FS and edge. 

I forgot what podcast it was on, but they mentioned how Poles has been pretty quick on at least the first one or two signings every year. I would suspect the same thing again this year. 

JJ makes sense, hopefully that can come before free agency. After him, Samuel, Center, Edge, Safety or Move TE would make a lot of sense. 

If I had to guess, I would expect it to be on offense. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

I forgot what podcast it was on, but they mentioned how Poles has been pretty quick on at least the first one or two signings every year. I would suspect the same thing again this year. 

JJ makes sense, hopefully that can come before free agency. After him, Samuel, Center, Edge, Safety or Move TE would make a lot of sense. 

If I had to guess, I would expect it to be on offense. 

one way or another we are going to have to get a center and a free safety in free agency. they might be high priced sure fire starters, or they might be journeymen with an expectation that rookies will compete with them, but we will be looking there for sure, even if our biggest signings go to WR, DL or whatever.

42 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

one way or another we are going to have to get a center and a free safety in free agency. they might be high priced sure fire starters, or they might be journeymen with an expectation that rookies will compete with them, but we will be looking there for sure, even if our biggest signings go to WR, DL or whatever.

The draft is heavy with amazing talent at WR. Draft one!

The draft is crazy good with DL day-one starters. Draft one!

There are very few rookie centers that can start day one. Chances are we will not be in a position to get one if we draft Caleb and don't trade down. That FA center from Denver might be big $$$, but it would be worth it to have him anchor the line while we develop a prospect.

We CANNOT continue to allow defenses to kill our QB!

30 minutes ago, Pixote said:

There are very few rookie centers that can start day one. Chances are we will not be in a position to get one if we draft Caleb and don't trade down. That FA center from Denver might be big $$$, but it would be worth it to have him anchor the line while we develop a prospect.

I agree with you. 

47 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I agree with all of this! I was saying, whatever else happens, you can count on the Bears to pick up a center and a free safety in free agency!

I see an article on bearswire.usatoday promoting OC Andre James of the Raiders as a potential signing to help fix our OL. He's only 26 and from what I read was on the rise entering his prime years. Would this guy fit the bill if we pass on the Denver OC? Is anyone familiar with him?

2023 Stats: 963 snaps played, 4 sacks allowed, 3 penalties, 74.6 PFF grade (16 games)

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

I see an article on bearswire.usatoday promoting OC Andre James of the Raiders as a potential signing to help fix our OL. He's only 26 and from what I read was on the rise entering his prime years. Would this guy fit the bill if we pass on the Denver OC? Is anyone familiar with him?

2023 Stats: 963 snaps played, 4 sacks allowed, 3 penalties, 74.6 PFF grade (16 games)

I seen a PFF end of the year rankings for center  and   Connor Williams was the top FA center available, (37 overall) Andre James (44), Cusenberry (57), Aaron Brewer (77), Tyler Biadasz (93). 

Looking at their run and pass block grades, Cusenberry is the highest  rated , he got knocked down because of penalties. Brewer could be the one because his OL coach is here but he gave up a lot of sacks.