Free Agency 2024

adam

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

My Bears first FA target:

FS Xavier McKinney- 24 yrs old - top cover corner. Between him and JJ, QBs will have a hard time finding open wrs. 

They will definitely target a FS but I'm not sure if he will be to expensive. U tink Poles starts running money to offense. The last two years most of the went  to the D. DJ Moore is the only big money offense guy. Kmet has money but at 11.6 a year, that's now a mid level signing. 

There will be a few 9 to 11 mil contracts, no more 15mil and above.Poles keeps the cap healthy by not over spending . 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

My Bears first FA target:

FS Xavier McKinney- 24 yrs old - top cover corner. Between him and JJ, QBs will have a hard time finding open wrs. 

he's projected to be worth $10.4M a year. Poles is disciplined with his spending but that doesn't mean he isn't willing to spend big when a player is worth it. $10.4M/yr isn't that big of a contract anyway.

He apparently plays deep center field or in the box, and can play cover corner too.

On spotrac, his player comp is Eddie Jackson LOL

Good find ASHKUM.

If 10.4 is all he cost, easily could get him but I have seen he rated on several sites as the best safety available and think he's getting 14+. That small amount will take us out of the picture. If he spends money it will in the offense side of  the ball. Would love to have him but look at Poles history one large contract per season. I predict he brings in Blackmon. Played under Flus as a rookie from the colts.

OTC has his value as 14 mil, they are always more accurate than spotrac that's why I always use them. He had 88 ts, 4 int, 2 FF and 8 PDs. OTC has his value at 7.8mil.

I just seen where JJ played ball with Julian at Utah. Wonder if that affects anything.

Bates may be the Bears vet option at Center, and a fallback in case they don't get one in the draft. That basically leaves WR2 as the only true "hole" on offense as starters are concerned. The defense needs an Edge2 and a FS to fill current holes. That's it. The other spots are backups or starter upgrades (DT, WR3, TE2).

So if the Bears do go Williams at #1. They have to address a few of these with the remaining 4 picks. If Fields is traded they may get an additional pick or two. Just say they have 5 more picks after #1. WR, Edge, DT, C, and TE/WR make sense.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Bates may be the Bears vet option at Center, and a fallback in case they don't get one in the draft. That basically leaves WR2 as the only true "hole" on offense as starters are concerned. The defense needs an Edge2 and a FS to fill current holes. That's it. The other spots are backups or starter upgrades (DT, WR3, TE2).

So if the Bears do go Williams at #1. They have to address a few of these with the remaining 4 picks. If Fields is traded they may get an additional pick or two. Just say they have 5 more picks after #1. WR, Edge, DT, C, and TE/WR make sense.

and a ton of money yet in free agency too!

9 hours ago, adam said:

If they take a QB that only  leaves 2 high  picks to look for starters. The fourth rounders could contribute but not expected. He's trading the first pick and probably both.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm liking that the market is flooded with safeties and IOL...

Yeah, it's awesome!

Poles has been disciplined all along the way, and waiting for years where there was talent to plug holes at those positions. Getting this kind of timing is a benefit of that kind of discipline finally paying off.

It's not really luck or supernatural, but it sure does feel like the football Gods are starting to like us. Poles has made this luck - it's our time.

If he can get Xavier McKinney, the backfield will be the best in the NFL. The best cover safety and cover CB will give the front 7 time to get knock the QB out of rhythm.  The only issue is Brisker will want to get paid next year and a higher priced FS may make him a tough signing.

11 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If he can get Xavier McKinney, the backfield will be the best in the NFL. The best cover safety and cover CB will give the front 7 time to get knock the QB out of rhythm.  The only issue is Brisker will want to get paid next year and a higher priced FS may make him a tough signing.

it sure would be good to have 3 more 2nd or 3rd round picks! But it's always like that. I'd like to keep Brisker, and i feel like Lus does too, so maybe youre right about McKinney.

Zone teams generally put more money up front anyway, so thats another reason they may not want to pay big $ to a FS.

15 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

it sure would be good to have 3 more 2nd or 3rd round picks! But it's always like that. I'd like to keep Brisker, and i feel like Lus does too, so maybe youre right about McKinney.

Zone teams generally put more money up front anyway, so thats another reason they may not want to pay big $ to a FS.

It takes the right balance since the D is in more nickel or dime these days. Poles did well by building a backfield with 4 good CBs to go with Brisker and whoever they sign at fs.  The killer is they need another stud at  WR and DE, so pick 9 will be one of those or a trade down.  

5 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It takes the right balance since the D is in more nickel or dime these days. Poles did well by building a backfield with 4 good CBs to go with Brisker and whoever they sign at fs.  The killer is they need another stud at  WR and DE, so pick 9 will be one of those or a trade down.  

Slow process to build a team thru the draft, Poles said 4 years. He's going to get more draft picks.Add some cheap free agents (Blingings and Edwards) and will have a winning team.

29 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

exactly, so one is gonna have to come from free agency

The case for Julian Blackmon (26)

Played for Flus in Indy

Played with JJ in Utah

Only missed 3 games to injuries while in the NFL

Valued at 7.2 mil by OTC 

2023- 88 Ts- 9 PD- 4 int-2 FF-4.3% missed T rate.

4.52 40 time same as EJAC

He's not costing big money. 4-30 mil?

The top FSs will! command big contracts.

Some teams are screwed this offseason. As of today, Miami and LAC are both $20M over the cap. The Bills, even after all those cuts are still $13M over. The Saints and Ravens are both $10M over, the Broncos are $3M over, and the 49ers are 300K over. Not only do those teams need to get under the cap in a few days, they need operating income and money for the rookie pool, which collectively is around $10M. 

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The case for Julian Blackmon (26)

Played for Flus in Indy

Played with JJ in Utah

Only missed 3 games to injuries while in the NFL

Valued at 7.2 mil by OTC 

2023- 88 Ts- 9 PD- 4 int-2 FF-4.3% missed T rate.

4.52 40 time same as EJAC

He's not costing big money. 4-30 mil?

The top FSs will! command big contracts.

That is a good find especially with link to JJ. 

The legal tampering period begins March 11 at 12 p.m. ET. Last year, it was then that we began to learn about some moves Poles was working on. I'm anxious to find out what he has in store for us this year. It will tell us a lot about what to expect when the draft comes about.

32 minutes ago, adam said:

Some teams are screwed this offseason. As of today, Miami and LAC are both $20M over the cap. The Bills, even after all those cuts are still $13M over. The Saints and Ravens are both $10M over, the Broncos are $3M over, and the 49ers are 300K over. Not only do those teams need to get under the cap in a few days, they need operating income and money for the rookie pool, which collectively is around $10M. 

Glad the date is approaching fast.  Maybe Poles trades JF to a team in cap trouble, especially at QB.  I'd think Denver contacted Poles to trade Wilson for Fields while throwing in a couple picks too

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The legal tampering period begins March 11 at 12 p.m. ET. Last year, it was then that we began to learn about some moves Poles was working on. I'm anxious to find out what he has in store for us this year. It will tell us a lot about what to expect when the draft comes about.

I expect a Fields decision and an announcement of 1 or 2 key acquisitions before the 13th when FA opens officially. 

Based on the recent cuts, I think they wait on FS or get a tier 2 guy (which would still be 3 tiers better than Jackson was last year). That really only leaves DT and Edge on defense, and then C and WR2 on offense. Looking at the WR class, I don't think he goes big there. So hopefully the money goes to DT, Edge, and C.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

I expect a Fields decision and an announcement of 1 or 2 key acquisitions before the 13th when FA opens officially. 

Based on the recent cuts, I think they wait on FS or get a tier 2 guy (which would still be 3 tiers better than Jackson was last year). That really only leaves DT and Edge on defense, and then C and WR2 on offense. Looking at the WR class, I don't think he goes big there. So hopefully the money goes to DT, Edge, and C.

This all seems logical and likely to me too.

I also imagine Poles will add at least one more offensive lineman.

19 minutes ago, Pixote said:

yup - it's the beginning of the Bears window opening. Gonna be very exciting to see it unfold. We have certainly paid the price in failure to get to this moment, and it will be gratifying to see Poles turn possibility into a winning roster.

1 hour ago, adam said:

If we can sign and draft EDGE and sign and draft OL, that would help us get two weapons to throw to.  This is a very deep WR and TE class.  I would love to come out with two WR's and a move TE.

I think the JJ signing is the only big money deal we do. I think a few around 10 mil deals could still be out there. Most will be 4-8 mil deals. Billings, Walker, type deals. 

I posted an article that addressed what monies might be paid. 

Curtis Samuel is best friends with DJ and is projected at around 5 mil a year range. Something like that could happen right away because he may want to be here.