Yet another Caleb Williams Red Flag

jason

So here is Sports Illustrated confirming that Williams opted not to visit the Bears tomorrow, and to wait on his physical until after his pro day.

And this is normal. Team visits are usually later. Williams not participating in physicals during the combine was the curveball.

I dont think it's a very big deal, and I dont think it will prevent Poles from trading Fields either. The simple fact is that Fields really isn't very good, and we are going to need a new QB this year even if Caleb Williams gets hit by a bus and never plays in the NFL.

I would easily take Maye or Daniels over Fields.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/caleb-williams-reportedly-delays-bears-plans-for-physical

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

So here is Sports Illustrated confirming that Williams opted not to visit the Bears tomorrow, and to wait on his physical until after his pro day.

And this is normal. Team visits are usually later. Williams not participating in physicals during the combine was the curveball.

I dont think it's a very big deal, and I dont think it will prevent Poles from trading Fields either. The simple fact is that Fields really isn't very good, and we are going to need a new QB this year even if Caleb Williams gets hit by a bus and never plays in the NFL.

I would easily take Maye or Daniels over Fields.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/caleb-williams-reportedly-delays-bears-plans-for-physical

I think that is exactly it - It also sounded like the Bears were the ones who adjusted the schedule - vs. Caleb not being willing to do so.  I presume it is more - Bears were being aggressive to make sure THEY did all their homework in advance, now that they have finished their first initial blitz - they are starting to feel pretty good and put their foot off the gas on Caleb slightly as he has been passing all of their initial tests.  

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think that is exactly it - It also sounded like the Bears were the ones who adjusted the schedule - vs. Caleb not being willing to do so.  I presume it is more - Bears were being aggressive to make sure THEY did all their homework in advance, now that they have finished their first initial blitz - they are starting to feel pretty good and put their foot off the gas on Caleb slightly as he has been passing all of their initial tests.  

yeah, it's not nothing, but it's pretty close to nothing. They will get a physical before the draft.

So the question is, if you knew Williams was unavailable, maybe went to Tibet to become a monk and forego football, would you keep Justin then? If the answer is yes, then the physical is slightly concerning, if the answer is no, then it means nothing.

For me, it's not even close. Justin is a nice young man, and a great open field runner, but as a QB he sucks. You can see the lack of interest in him from the league too. He has just been so overhyped for some reason and people have lost their damn minds.

If you watch all 22 film, you know. Justin is never going to win a superbowl. Ever. No chance.

It was Caleb that blew off the physical. That's not a rumor. The Bears requested the interview immediately so they could finish the important part of the pre draft process, the medicals. That's the whole reason the Combine was started. 

Anyone that thinks the medicals doesn't matter will never get an NFL job. You are not basing your whole off-season plans on a player you don't have all the information on. To risky for that high of a pick.

Now they will get the info before the draft but not having it now affects trading Fields . Poles still thinks Justin is one of his options. We have no idea which way he's going to go yet and the fact Caleb's process is incomplete changes what he does now.

LOL dude, Justin is gone, accept it.

Also Caleb will give the Bears physicals before the draft, just not before their trade window.

And if Caleb suddenly retired, the Bears would STILL draft a QB this year and move on from Fields, so the medical eval isn't necessary in order to trade Justin. He gone.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also Caleb will give the Bears physicals before the draft, just not before their trade window.

And if Caleb suddenly retired, the Bears would STILL draft a QB this year and move on from Fields, so the medical eval isn't necessary in order to trade Justin. He gone.

I accept that can happen, what's funny is you completely dismiss he could stay. 

I will leave this site if he gets traded before free agency. You can't say that because you already left  and popped up one day later, I hold true to things I say.

38 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I will leave this site if he gets traded before free agency. You can't say that because you already left  and popped up one day later, I hold true to things I say.

ok, and Justin still sucks. no matter how flawed you are sure I am, Justin sucking has nothing to do with me. I could have never been born and Justin would still suck. And Caleb Williams would still be a star.

I root for the team, not for a specific player.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Fields may well not be traded by the opening of free agency, because there are better QBs available like Kirk Cousins and Russell Wilson. I don't see any team giving up draft value for Justin when they might be able to get one of those guys instead.

So he may not get traded right away, but it wont be for any reason except that no one wants him that much. And he wont be in camp for us in the fall. That would be a colossal error. The morale issues alone are a nightmare.

10 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Moral issues?

LOL, sorry, misread, Moral, Morale, big difference. 

lol yes! there is nothing immoral about Justin Fields!

I like the kid, I really do. He is an incredible athlete, but his skills dont really add up to a QB position. Im serious when I say he reminds me of Hester. In 2022 he was a threat to score any time he touched the ball. His open field running is legendary status.

But then two things happened - one is the Bears obviously told him not to make any moves on defenders in the open field, and to slide to avoid injury - which makes sense but took away his greatest strength. and two is that defenses realized he wouldnt surgically punish them if they adjusted their defensive front to contain his running. In fact they learned how to push his mental buttons to get him to run right into their linemen.

And so he cant really ever succeed as an NFL QB. He'd have to punish teams with anticipatory timing throws across the middle before hed get an honest defensive front and be able to run again.

I mean, he will break off more highlights, but he wont be able to consistently move chains and score that way. So he's finished.

But he's not a bad guy. He's an incredible athlete, a hard worker and a hell of a nice person. A good leader too.

He just had this incredible flash of open field ability that made everyone fall in love with him, but it's not enough to attack NFL defenses that adjust to it without a complementary on time passing skill.

You could be the best rock thrower in rock paper scissors, but if you dont have a scissors counter move, your opponent learns to always play paper and beat your rock, and if you cant burn them with scissors, youre done. No matter how well you throw that rock.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Fields may well not be traded by the opening of free agency, because there are better QBs available like Kirk Cousins and Russell Wilson. I don't see any team giving up draft value for Justin when they might be able to get one of those guys instead.

So he may not get traded right away, but it wont be for any reason except that no one wants him that much. And he wont be in camp for us in the fall. That would be a colossal error. The morale issues alone are a nightmare.

We agree on something. The NFL media is pounding the idea he is traded before free agency. No way that happens. I agree he has no  value right now. He will be teams options when teams don't get players they want. IF he gets traded, it will be during the draft only after Poles gets the QB he wants. Its also Poles backup plan.

Look at Marino's throwing motion - best that ever spun it.

Then look at Williams. And I have never heard of the guy doing the Williams analysis before, I just searched "Caleb throwing motion" on youtube just now and found this. I know his motion form the tape I've watched, but I found this that gets right to it. I only watched a few seconds of the thing ive linked here, and you can see it. Marino-like.

If you're still throwing up red flags about Williams, it's like youre hating on Walter Payton. Youre all gonna have to remember that youre the guy(s) that said Williams was a mistake.

What a big fail!

Im still open on Maye, but Daniels is a one read QB from the film Ive seen. Unless he grows skills he doesnt have, hes gonna get eaten alive by NFL defenses.

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Im still open on Maye, but Daniels is a one read QB from the film Ive seen. Unless he grows skills he doesnt have, hes gonna get eaten alive by NFL defenses.

I have seen several mock drafts where "expert analysts" (is there such a creature?) have Daniels rated #2 behind Williams. I, personally, don't. The thing that worries me about Daniels is his weight/strength. Watching the tape of him, he is so damn thin. The guy is going to get killed by NFL brutes.

I think Daniels is a fantastic quarterback prospect, but he will need a year with a trainer and dietician to work on adding muscle to his frame, which will allow him to survive in today's NFL. There's no way I'd start him in year one. For that reason, I now shy away from him in this year's draft.

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I have seen several mock drafts where "expert analysts" (is there such a creature?) have Daniels rated #2 behind Williams. I, personally, don't. The thing that worries me about Daniels is his weight/strength. Watching the tape of him, he is so damn thin. The guy is going to get killed by NFL brutes.

I think Daniels is a fantastic quarterback prospect, but he will need a year with a trainer and dietician to work on adding muscle to his frame, which will allow him to survive in today's NFL. There's no way I'd start him in year one. For that reason, I now shy away from him in this year's draft.

All I know is the film I see. I watched at least 40 plays in a row from LSU Alabama where Daniels locked onto a single receiver right from the snap, and then either threw the ball to that receiver, or ran. i never saw him work through a progression or even turn his head except for one play. That means no looking off of safeties, and a lot of batted balls at the LOS. No second reads.

I hear the same narratives over and over from pundits. i don't think they watch the film, I think producers tell them hot takes that get clicks. Once you just watch a couple games on all 22 with your own eyes you start to realize how phony all the press coverage really is.

It's so easy to just take a minute and use your own eyes - you dont need to be an expert, just look at all 22, and watch each play three or four times in a row. Figure out what the progression was, what the QB did, did they manipulate the defense, did they get the ball to the right guy in tempo. It takes a couple hours.

It's not that hard at all, but if you dont do it, youre at the mercy of stats and pundits and they really dont tell the story at all. Most of it is BS. Like Tony Romo commenting on the Bears game. Romo's a smart guy, he knows football, but he repeated narratives that anyone who watches the team knows arent true. His producers prepare him, he didnt watch a years worth of Bears games to prepare.

When I started watching Caleb Williams tape I was expecting to see him holding the ball a lot and looking like the same things i criticized Justin for. That's what Id read. But you know what? That wasnt what was on tape at all! We all need to shake off the media brainwashing and look for ourselves if we want to know the truth.

58 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Look at Marino's throwing motion - best that ever spun it.

Then look at Williams. And I have never heard of the guy doing the Williams analysis before, I just searched "Caleb throwing motion" on youtube just now and found this. I know his motion form the tape I've watched, but I found this that gets right to it. I only watched a few seconds of the thing ive linked here, and you can see it. Marino-like.

If you're still throwing up red flags about Williams, it's like youre hating on Walter Payton. Youre all gonna have to remember that youre the guy(s) that said Williams was a mistake.

What a big fail!

Nobody is doubting his talent, it's about questions on the intangibles. Leadership, treat me special attitude. Lots of QBs, with talent have failed at the NFL level. You always speak in absolutes, Justin is terrible, if you don't  like Caleb, you're a hater. You are the only one that looks at things that way. You can actually like players for several reasons. 

I swear you said that Justin was a piece of shit one time. That is the way haters talk. No one looked at Pat Mahones tape and said he was generational, the evaluating system is flawed. If Pat didn't go to KC, sat for a year, got on a team with great coaching and well built team, he wouldn't be considered great right now.

17 minutes ago, Pixote said:

To be honest, any rookie coming out should have some time to develop instead of being thrown in the fire right away. Jordon Love wouldn't have developed if he started from day one, he sat 3 years. That's way I still think the scenario where Justin and another QB is still a strong option.

54 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

I think Caleb blew us off. For the JD camp....trade mf trade

People have been trying to say ( they mutually agreed to  a late March meeting) that's bullshit, the Bears wanted to finish the medicals so they could plan to take him, trade Justin but the me. me candidate is doing stuff his way.

41 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Nobody is doubting his talent, it's about questions on the intangibles. Leadership, treat me special attitude. Lots of QBs, with talent have failed at the NFL level. You always speak in absolutes, Justin is terrible, if you don't  like Caleb, you're a hater. You are the only one that looks at things that way. You can actually like players for several reasons. 

I swear you said that Justin was a piece of shit one time. That is the way haters talk. No one looked at Pat Mahones tape and said he was generational, the evaluating system is flawed. If Pat didn't go to KC, sat for a year, got on a team with great coaching and well built team, he wouldn't be considered great right now.

No Justin is not a piece of shit and I never said that. What your reading comprehension challenged mind is rememberi8ng is that i called him a turd.

And while an actual turd and an actual piece of shit are the same thing, I assume youre not SO stupid that you think i was mistaken that a human being was an actual poop.

no, it was used in common slang, which you and I are both well aware of.

A piece of shit by slang is a terrible person, someone without morals, someone who betrays others and cant be counted on. Justin is not that. That's crazy,

A turd by slang is something that doesnt reach its potential. You may know the phrase "you cand polish a turd" or "he laid a turd" it means to be inept, and miss fulfilling a promise or goal. And that is precisely what Fields is.

Also there are lots of examples of me speaking in measured ways, giving odds all that - youre just a very silly person who cant debate very well, and resorts to personal attacks and arguments of authority when challenged.

And no, Mahomes was going to be great. People knew his ceiling before the draft. You could read it anywhere, what they were worried about was whether he would be able to play on schedule rather than always freelancing. ANd also the guy was picked 11th overall so spare me that no one saw potential in him.

Youre silly and wrong and angry and you are going to feel really dumb when Williams is the man and the Bears succeed and YOU were the hater that couldnt see it. Silly silly man.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

No Justin is not a piece of shit and I never said that. What your reading comprehension challenged mind is rememberi8ng is that i called him a turd.

And while an actual turd and an actual piece of shit are the same thing, I assume youre not SO stupid that you think i was mistaken that a human being was an actual poop.

no, it was used in common slang, which you and I are both well aware of.

A piece of shit by slang is a terrible person, someone without morals, someone who betrays others and cant be counted on. Justin is not that. That's crazy,

A turd by slang is something that doesnt reach its potential. You may know the phrase "you cand polish a turd" or "he laid a turd" it means to be inept, and miss fulfilling a promise or goal. And that is precisely what Fields is.

Also there are lots of examples of me speaking in measured ways, giving odds all that - youre just a very silly person who cant debate very well, and resorts to personal attacks and arguments of authority when challenged.

And no, Mahomes was going to be great. People knew his ceiling before the draft. You could read it anywhere, what they were worried about was whether he would be able to play on schedule rather than always freelancing. ANd also the guy was picked 11th overall so spare me that no one saw potential in him.

Youre silly and wrong and angry and you are going to feel really dumb when Williams is the man and the Bears succeed and YOU were the hater that couldnt see it. Silly silly man.

Thank you for clarification, Justin is a piece of shit

Justin is a turd. 

I'm a plumber, I got the terms confused.

I dont even know what you mean now. He IS a turd he is definitely NOT a piece of shit. Unless youre pretending you didnt understand what i wrote (ha) and think you can win this with some stupid trick equating the two words as if every single person here doesnt know and use that slang all the time. How lame and dishonest is that?

When Caleb lights it up for us, you arent even allowed to cheer because if it was up to you, he wouldnt be here.