How excited are you getting?

CrackerDog

With only a few days until the draft are you getting excited or do you have anxiety?  All the conjecture and BS stops on draft night.  Are the anti-Williams folks resigned to the choice or still hoping for a last minute surprise?   Is your focus more on the second pick at this point?   I’m hoping for an Offensive Tackle myself    

More importantly, how are you feeling about the season?  Things should be much improved but we’ll have a rookie QB.  There are obvious exceptions but usually that’s a tough first year.  

Lastly, are there any FA’s left that you’d add depending on what happens in the draft?  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

With only a few days until the draft are you getting excited or do you have anxiety?  All the conjecture and BS stops on draft night.  Are the anti-Williams folks resigned to the choice or still hoping for a last minute surprise?   Is your focus more on the second pick at this point?   I’m hoping for an Offensive Tackle myself    

More importantly, how are you feeling about the season?  Things should be much improved but we’ll have a rookie QB.  There are obvious exceptions but usually that’s a tough first year.  

Lastly, are there any FA’s left that you’d add depending on what happens in the draft?  

Oh, Hell Yeah. Excited isn't the word to describe what I'm feeling. I haven't been this 'excited' since my wife and I left the wedding reception in '73 to return to our hotel room. 😉

With our limited picks, Poles will wait to see cuts from other teams after the draft. Hopefully, the FAs available will match our needs to fill any holes needed until we finish the roster rebuilding process next year.

If we have any less than 10 wins next year I will be disappointed.

Now is the time I need to buy a new TV to better enjoy the upcoming season.

OH, Yeah, my friend! We are going to rock!

A Playoff appearance would be great, but what I need to see are flashes of greatness from Williams. If, for example, Williams is awful throwing the ball, b ut we run the ball well and play defense and go to a playoff game, Im going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if Williams is showing a lot of what we drafted him for, but for some reason or another we only get 8 wins, I will be ok.

I need to see Williams show he is going to be that guy, and I know in adjusting his game he is going to make mistakes and learn from them too, so that's OK.

As to the topic question, I am extremely excited, and I am so glad to see everyone getting on the same bandwagon together. This should be a really fun ride.

Thanks Caleb! Thanks Poles! Time for the Bears to be good again.

53 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Slow your roll big fella.  Vegas has us at 8.5.  I'm taking the over.

Hell no., 10 wins minimum unless we suffer significant injuries to our blue-chip players.

Last year, the Bears won 7 games. There were 2 games I still cannot figure out how we lost, which would have made it 9 wins.

We've made strategic changes to our coaching staff, bolstered our defense with a legit Safety, and added depth to our offense with a RB, TE, WR, and strengthened our OL. These are significant improvements that should inspire confidence.

Now it appears we will draft our franchise QB and add another blue-chip player.

That isn't worth another 2 or 3 wins?

Nope, there's no reason to slow my roll. 

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Hell no., 10 wins minimum unless we suffer significant injuries to our blue-chip players.

Last year, the Bears won 7 games. There were 2 games I still cannot figure out how we lost, which would have made it 9 wins.

We've made strategic changes to our coaching staff, bolstered our defense with a legit Safety, and added depth to our offense with a RB, TE, WR, and strengthened our OL. These are significant improvements that should inspire confidence.

I dont think 10 wins is unreasonable, i just wouldnt be "disappointed" if we won fewer games as long as we looked good doing it.

Well I mean, of occourseurse I would, personally, emotionally, be disappointed, so I totally understand and agree. but as far as how I would measure success for this year, it will be more about the product on the field than pure wins and losses. And this should be the last year I have to say that for a LONG time, Halas willing. LOL

It's Calebs first year, and I want to see him play well, but some mistakes are bound to come in year one. After that though, then it's reality.

But we could definitely go into the playoffs this year too. No reason to put a ceiling on this team at all!

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Love it!...💪

If you have a GENERATIONAL QB , you have to have higher expectations. 10 is the minimum. We have the forth easiest schedule in the league.  A good OC will call plays to make the QB succeed. Getsy didn't do that last year, it was system system system. 

6 hours ago, CrackerDog said:

This anti-Williams fan is finally seeing a different side of Williams, a more mature one that fits what I expect from a starting NFL QB.   More importantly for me is that this is the actually the first time I've ever seen Caleb genuinely smile when talking about the Bears (when he mentions the good time he had on his 30 visit).   

Talent for me was never the biggest issue although I do still have concerns about some of his bad habits such as bad throws under pressure, and how loosely he carries the ball when scrambling.  Plus he's not the most accurate deep passer but he's good enough. 

I was more worried about 1) would he even play in Chicago, and 2) would he have the work ethic and maturity to handle this job in the NFL.   Kudos to Channing Crowder, Ryan Clark, and Fred Taylor for putting together a quality interview, really a deep dive into the person who is Caleb Williams. 

I remember after we drafted Trubisky I came across an article about Mahomes.  In short, during college Mahomes was totally focused on getting to the NFL.  He wasn't into the party scene, didn't drink, just focused on football.  I had him as my 1b to Trubisky as 1a because I'd seen him have numerous multi INT games where he'd make risky throws all over the field.  If I had known the character side of both players there's no way I'd have taken Trubisky over Mahomes.  Looking back it's clear Trubisky doesn't really want to put in the effort to be a starting QB, not physical but the mental side with film study.   

After listening to him in this interview now I don't see that being a problem with Caleb.  I also feel like he's gained some maturity or perspective on things as he's gone through the draft process.  Without saying it directly, it seems to me he hints that there are some things he'll do differently and better in the future.  

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If you have a GENERATIONAL QB , you have to have higher expectations. 10 is the minimum. We have the forth easiest schedule in the league.  A good OC will call plays to make the QB succeed. Getsy didn't do that last year, it was system system system. 

Hes a generational prospect with a high chance to be a generational QB in the league, but first he will be a rookie.

There is no reason we cant get 10 wins, but he isnt going to be generational right out of the gate. You have to expect him to throw his rookie interceptions like ALL of them do. Even the greats.

29 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Hes a generational prospect with a high chance to be a generational QB in the league, but first he will be a rookie.

There is no reason we cant get 10 wins, but he isnt going to be generational right out of the gate. You have to expect him to throw his rookie interceptions like ALL of them do. Even the greats.

I don't  expect him to be mistake free as a rookie. I expect to see some interceptions and fumbles but his overall performance needs to be on the high side of rookie seasons. I expect the OL to be top 15, WR room to be top 5, running game top 5. Then you add a defense that will get a lot of TOs, that's a winning record. 

I'm an optimist and no reason to temper it this season. 

WOWl, thanks for posting that AZ!

I watched the whole thing, and I gotta say, what a really cool centered guy with everything in perspective. I dont know that youd call him humble, but he has aspects of self respect and respect for others that often go along with humility.

After seeing that, I feel like the Williams camp did a horrible job of PR around Caleb. Not that its gonna matter, hes gonna be #1 overall anyway, and make his way in the NFL, but I had no idea he was that mature, cool and disciplined. I didnt think my opinion of Williams could improve, but that interview moved my respect for him even that much higher.

He is a true leader, and I'm gonna be proud to have this guy as my QB.

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't  expect him to be mistake free as a rookie. I expect to see some interceptions and fumbles but his overall performance needs to be on the high side of rookie seasons. I expect the OL to be top 15, WR room to be top 5, running game top 5. Then you add a defense that will get a lot of TOs, that's a winning record. 

I'm an optimist and no reason to temper it this season. 

I agree with all of that.

High side of rookies, for sure. And I also agree that just because I expect mistakes doesnt mean Caleb cant come out and just kill it from the start either. I wouldnt put any ceiling on this team. I dont expect a superbowl for us this year, and I wouldnt bet money on one but its not impossible. Starting now, nothing is.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree with all of that.

High side of rookies, for sure. And I also agree that just because I expect mistakes doesnt mean Caleb cant come out and just kill it from the start either. I wouldnt put any ceiling on this team. I dont expect a superbowl for us this year, and I wouldnt bet money on one but its not impossible. Starting now, nothing is.

The over for game wins is 8.5. I am definitely getting some of that barring injuries.

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This anti-Williams fan is finally seeing a different side of Williams, a more mature one that fits what I expect from a starting NFL QB.   More importantly for me is that this is the actually the first time I've ever seen Caleb genuinely smile when talking about the Bears (when he mentions the good time he had on his 30 visit).   

Talent for me was never the biggest issue although I do still have concerns about some of his bad habits such as bad throws under pressure, and how loosely he carries the ball when scrambling.  Plus he's not the most accurate deep passer but he's good enough. 

I was more worried about 1) would he even play in Chicago, and 2) would he have the work ethic and maturity to handle this job in the NFL.   Kudos to Channing Crowder, Ryan Clark, and Fred Taylor for putting together a quality interview, really a deep dive into the person who is Caleb Williams. 

I remember after we drafted Trubisky I came across an article about Mahomes.  In short, during college Mahomes was totally focused on getting to the NFL.  He wasn't into the party scene, didn't drink, just focused on football.  I had him as my 1b to Trubisky as 1a because I'd seen him have numerous multi INT games where he'd make risky throws all over the field.  If I had known the character side of both players there's no way I'd have taken Trubisky over Mahomes.  Looking back it's clear Trubisky doesn't really want to put in the effort to be a starting QB, not physical but the mental side with film study.   

After listening to him in this interview now I don't see that being a problem with Caleb.  I also feel like he's gained some maturity or perspective on things as he's gone through the draft process.  Without saying it directly, it seems to me he hints that there are some things he'll do differently and better in the future.  

I recall Caleb saying he played HS ball with Penn St LT Olum Fashanu.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear his name called if the draft fell a certain way.  

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree. I don’t want to hear any BS about being a rookie since he’s so generational and far superior to everyone else in the draft. Furthermore, you don’t drop Fields for 50 cents on the dollar when he showed significant improvement despite being on an offense with several noticeable holes, UNLESS the guy you’re getting is a drastic improvement.

Add in the changes and improvement, as well as another first round impact player, and anything less then 10 wins is a disappointment.

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I recall Caleb saying he played HS ball with Penn St LT Olum Fashanu.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear his name called if the draft fell a certain way.  

I would LOOOOOVE that. The Bears need to protect Williams at all cost. OL must be addressed EVERY SINGLE YEAR until he’s virtually untouchable.

37 minutes ago, jason said:

Agree. I don’t want to hear any BS about being a rookie since he’s so generational and far superior to everyone else in the draft.

That's ridiculous. He is a generational PROSPECT, no one is saying he is a generational NFL QB (yet) he does have an excellent chance to become one, but first he will be a rookie.

Pick your favorite generational QB, they were all rookies, and they didnt own the NFL in their rookie year.

We should expect to see flashes of greatness from Williams this year, and some rookie mistakes too. It's not reasonable to pretend that he's a veteran just because everyone says he is a generational PROSPECT who could likely BECOME a generational NFL QB.

Pick your generational QB; Brady, Mahomes, Montana, Manning etc etc they were all rookies first.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

That's ridiculous. He is a generational PROSPECT, no one is saying he is a generational NFL QB (yet) he does have an excellent chance to become one, but first he will be a rookie.

Pick your favorite generational QB, they were all rookies, and they didnt own the NFL in their rookie year.

We should expect to see flashes of greatness from Williams this year, and some rookie mistakes too. It's not reasonable to pretend that he's a veteran just because everyone says he is a generational PROSPECT who could likely BECOME a generational NFL QB.

Pick your generational QB; Brady, Mahomes, Montana, Manning etc etc they were all rookies first.

Stroud set expectations to this level.  I believe Caleb can exceed that benchmark because the Bears were basically a 9 win team if the defense held up and the QB didn't fall apart trying to take the team on his back. They have added Keenan Allen, Swift, Bates, and Everett to upgrade the holes, so the offense along with a OC that is not a first timer. Williams will make mistakes, but he should exceed the previous QB.

Extremely excited for this draft even more than others even though I have my annual vacation this week. I actually plotted my time to be off the entire draft.

Really excited to see what happens at pick #9.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Stroud set expectations to this level.  I believe Caleb can exceed that benchmark because the Bears were basically a 9 win team if the defense held up and the QB didn't fall apart trying to take the team on his back. They have added Keenan Allen, Swift, Bates, and Everett to upgrade the holes, so the offense along with a OC that is not a first timer. Williams will make mistakes, but he should exceed the previous QB.

For sure. I agree he will outplay Fields' performance last year, and should have an impact similar to Strouds. 9 wins is just half a game above the vegas line, so that doesnt seem to much either.

I read jason to say that if he isnt a generational NFL QB right out of the gate, that he wouldnt accept any excuses. And that seems strange to me since Williams will be a rookie - a really GOOD rookie, but a rookie.

I expect to see what a future champion QB who will win multiple superbowls should look like as a rookie.

We did not call for Justin's head in his rookie year, we understood his predicament in year 2. The judgement came in year 3.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

For sure. I agree he will outplay Fields' performance last year, and should have an impact similar to Strouds. 9 wins is just half a game above the vegas line, so that doesnt seem to much either.

I read jason to say that if he isnt a generational NFL QB right out of the gate, that he wouldnt accept any excuses. And that seems strange to me since Williams will be a rookie - a really GOOD rookie, but a rookie.

I expect to see what a future champion QB who will win multiple superbowls should look like as a rookie.

We did not call for Justin's head in his rookie year, we understood his predicament in year 2. The judgement came in year 3.

For being so hyped and “generational,” for throwing away Fields, there js zero doubt that Williams better produce immediately. And ten wins is a must. Without each, it’s a disappointment.

Williams doesn’t have to go for 4K and 30TDs, but for the drastic turn this franchise is about to take, there is VERY little room for excuses.