Site operation poll: how should the forums work

balta1701-A

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer the site to be organized?

• Strict forum divisions - maybe open another FA forum
    • The Bears forum is only for people linked to the Bears
    • The Bears forum is quite open, almost anything goes
    • Just kill the NFL forum entirely.

Hi folks

It seems I created a bit of controversy a few days back when I moved one of the threads over to the NFL forum. As far as I was concerned, it was a signing by the Titans, it had nothing to do with the Bears, the Bears had never been rumored to be interested in the guy, and there was no reason for it to be in the Bears forum.

From what I can gather, some of the people from one of the 2 sites we merged aren't used to the multiple-forum style that we've been using at TalkBears and at Soxtalk for a while, where we try to keep some sort of dividing line between the forums with posts flowing in both of them.

After the complaints, I checked with some of the Mods, and now I'm going to ask you...how do you guys want the site to be run? I can't guarantee that any one of these formats will be followed exactly, but I'd like to get some input from people.

Here's how I'd describe the options:

1. Move anything that doesn't directly involve the Bears into another forum. This might involve creating a rumors/FA type forum alongside the regular Bears forum, for all the trade discussion, and would keep the main forum focused solely on moves by the Bears; actual signings, actual news, actual reports of guys the Bears are interested in. This is pretty close to how Soxtalk is Run, but over there there is enough activity to keep all the forums running.

2. Keep actual Bears related rumors, items, and discussion in the Bears forum, but move stuff to the NFL forum if it doesn't directly involve the Bears or a player linked to the Bears in some way. This is the way that makes the most sense in my head and was how I was operating before...for this one, a thread about Chris Brown would stay in the Bears thread because it was rumored the Bears had some interest, but a thread about Jake Long would move to the NFL forum because the Bears were never linked to him.

3. Keep anything tangentially related to the Bears in the Bears forum. This includes anything coming from teams in the NFC North, or anyone that fits at a position where the Bears are week, etc. I.e. the Favre threads and the Jake Long threads would stay in the Bears forum here, as you could make an argument that rivals or guys who play positions where the Bears are weak are worth keeping in the Bears thread. The problem with this one, for my eyes, is it effectively kills the NFL forum until the next time Belichek is caught cheating.

4. There's no need for a separate NFL thread, just combine everything in to one forum and be done with it, regardless of how fast the threads scroll by.

Feel free to use the space below for discussion/debate/comments before you vote, and try to keep it civil. We're not trying to drive anyone away from this board, or make it hard for people to use/adapt to, we just want people to be able to enjoy themselves here.

My vote is to kill the NFL forum.

The issue I have is w/ the examples. Jake Long was the example given. Why it is highly unlikely, players fall in the draft, and further, the further Long falls, the more likely an OT like Clady falls to us. Thus, the thread may not alwasy appear to be bears related, but may in fact have an affect.

To me, if it is totally unrelated to the bears, it likely will not get as much activity, and thus will fall by wayside soon enough. If it does get a ton of activity, then maybe that in itself warrants a place on the main forum.

Just for me personally, it seems a bit much to try and run through a bunch of different forums, as opposed to one forum where you can easily reply to threads of interest, and skip the rest.

The issue I have is w/ the examples. Jake Long was the example given. Why it is highly unlikely, players fall in the draft, and further, the further Long falls, the more likely an OT like Clady falls to us. Thus, the thread may not alwasy appear to be bears related, but may in fact have an affect.

To me, if it is totally unrelated to the bears, it likely will not get as much activity, and thus will fall by wayside soon enough. If it does get a ton of activity, then maybe that in itself warrants a place on the main forum.

Just for me personally, it seems a bit much to try and run through a bunch of different forums, as opposed to one forum where you can easily reply to threads of interest, and skip the rest.

I agree with Nfo, I just voted for the other one. :D Anything that could be related to the Bears should be fair game, and FA signings/trades/draft rumors can affect the Bears. NFL forum should be for the Spygates/Lions coaches naked drive thru escapades/Mike Vick Dog Lovers Anonymous meetings of the NFL world.

I agree with Nfo, I just voted for the other one. :D Anything that could be related to the Bears should be fair game, and FA signings/trades/draft rumors can affect the Bears. NFL forum should be for the Spygates/Lions coaches naked drive thru escapades/Mike Vick Dog Lovers Anonymous meetings of the NFL world.

I agree with brletich and nfo! I have never read the other forums anyway. In my personal experience, the best forums with the most interesting posts doesn't have any subforum at all. A lot of OT but they are alive!

I agree with brletich and nfo! I have never read the other forums anyway. In my personal experience, the best forums with the most interesting posts doesn't have any subforum at all. A lot of OT but they are alive!

Agreed. Kill the NFL forum.

Peace :bears

I know this was prolly just a slip up, but wanted to point it out cause I'm not sure if you still would feel the same way. The article was about Jake Scott. He went from the Colts to the Titans. It really had nothing to do with the draft or who we would take in the draft or if him falling would affect the Bears. As far as I know the Bears were never even rumored to be looking at him. (They should have been...in fact what the freak are they doing...can we upgrade the god dam line...It's the biggest need of the offseason and it hasn't been addressed...someone needs to remove their head from their ass....this bullshit better....) ahem...sorry bout that.

Anywho, I think that post could have gone either way...it could have stayed or been moved. It was a judgement call. It was really just a link to a signing, but it was def borderline cause the post did ask about Angelo. If the post had some more depth about the O line and how we need to address it or was more about Angelo's inadequacies, and the link was just attached to show another Olineman got away, then I think it would have stayed and we wouldn't be talking abotu this. Even if it was a silly rant like I have above...I think it would have probably stayed, cause the premise is still the Bears and the oline, but when the premise is some player signing on another team, then I can see why it was moved. Still a judgement call though and borderline and I would actually be for it staying where it was.

Currently, things like this aren't such a big deal, but when the season starts and there's a lot more chatter and threads going around...that's when it becomes an issue. As someone who was also a member of bearstalk, it drove me nuts to make a post on something and then check it later on or the next day and have to look a few pages away for it because there were so many threads started. Especially on a Monday...everyone had to start their own thread. I wasn't too crazy with that setup, but I did really enjoy a lot of the posters. I know if you were on it for awhile, you became used to it, but I have never seen another board setup like that. I hated having to click every post to read it. I much prefer just clicking the thread and everything's open in front of me and I can just scroll to read the whole thing.

I know there's a couple people that posted on the old board that this site is just terrible and a joke and they just can't stand it here...I'm guessing it's because of the format and not the posters, but who knows. Either way, I think most would get used to this format and even end up liking it more...but it's all really personal preference.

Count me in the group...

Anything that could be Bears should in in the Bears...

Count me in the group...

Anything that could be Bears should in in the Bears...

Me too. I thinkl there are things, like Spygate, which are properly in the NFL forum - there is no possible connection to the Bears.

However, if a topic even mentions something like "Did Angelo have a hand in this" or similar, then it could be fair game for the Bears forum.

I was one of the original complainers, and I hope I was clear that it was not a big deal to me - I have a preference, but I certainly wasn't hot about it.

In that spirit, I would like to add that whatever the final outcome of this, I REALLY appreciate the moderator taking a poll about this. My feeling is the less moderation the better. That unless something is really agregious, its better to let folks work it out themselves. So when you go the extra step to ask our feeling about something, it really does help engender trust.

I've made my opinion known, do whatever you think is best, but thanks for the poll!

Actually, if the thread was about Jake Scott, I would even more so argue it was relevant. Jake Scott was a player many, including myself, had listed as a player we should be looking to add. Maybe Angelo hadn't shown interest, but that in itself is a bear related thread as well. Should we have?

Are there a couple things I might change on this board? Yes. But I still VERY much enjoy the board and having an opportunity to argue (I mean talk) w/ so many others who bleed blue and orange.

I think that would only add to the confusion.

I say the fewer forums the better.

Maybe change the first forum to the NFL and have two subforums, Bears and rest of the NFL. Then have a forum for all other sports which could branch of into sub forums if it picked up and then have the water cooler for all the non topic stuff.

I think that would only add to the confusion.

I say the fewer forums the better.

I dont think confusion is the issue. The only reason those forums dont do well is because of the lack of traffic but if the correct topics were put in the correct forums I would hope thats not too difficult for people to follow. The reason why it doesnt work now is because since nobody ever posts anywhere else nobody ever checks it. The water cooler thread only has topics about buying a used minivan and wearing shorts in cold weather, which is why nodoby ever looks there.

Actually, if the thread was about Jake Scott, I would even more so argue it was relevant. Jake Scott was a player many, including myself, had listed as a player we should be looking to add. Maybe Angelo hadn't shown interest, but that in itself is a bear related thread as well. Should we have?

Are there a couple things I might change on this board? Yes. But I still VERY much enjoy the board and having an opportunity to argue (I mean talk) w/ so many others who bleed blue and orange.

I think if a topic like "Shaun Rogers traded to Cincy" shows up, then yes it should be transferred. Even though it was a division rival losing a good player.

A topic like Jake Scott or Kevin Jones may not need to be transferred if they are bringing in discussions related to the Bears.

I understand you'd like a concrete solution so everyone is happy, but this can't be handled as black/white but rather GRAY. Whatever decision is made, we just need to respect your decision and live on. :bears

PS- having links added to the web site to sites like KFFL hot wire, Hailedredskin.com, rotowire, PFW would be nice since they are very informative sites.

I say leave the NFL forum open, but allow posters to post where they like. So if they believe there is some relation to the Bears, let them post in the main forum. Once the season starts the NFL forum should pick up for those who post in there.

I dont think confusion is the issue. The only reason those forums dont do well is because of the lack of traffic but if the correct topics were put in the correct forums I would hope thats not too difficult for people to follow. The reason why it doesnt work now is because since nobody ever posts anywhere else nobody ever checks it. The water cooler thread only has topics about buying a used minivan and wearing shorts in cold weather, which is why nodoby ever looks there.

Well said. I've NEVER been to NFL forum. Hell, if it involves the NFL I'll just check some other site. I also rarely check page 2 of talkbears. If it's not on the front page, I rarely give a damn.

I will say I'm impressed as hell at how fast people on the board are on top of things. When Marty Booker was signed it was on here immediately. That's what makes this site so great.

That being said, isn't this a relatively small community??? How many people are registered here or are actively using? 500 at the most??? So if two of those 500 want to debate Manning Vs. Brady, or whatever, I'll just ignore the thread.

Personally I think that any thread which involves a player or position the Bears have as a need, should be in the Bears forum. Basically put, if someone believes something is Bears related and throws it in the Bears forum it should be there.

However, I do think we should have an NFL forum, but that such forum should be for completely unrelated things, such as the Vikings signing some random QB or the Patriots doing something. Hell, a perfect example would be the Falcons trading DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders.

Bottom line, I think for 99.9% of the time, the posters who make the post should know whether they believe something is Bears related or not. For example, something on Mendenhall and the Lions would be a Bears worthy news considering how many of us on here believe the Bears should consider Mendenhall (therefor, I believe it is Bears worthy, regardless of whether Mendenhall has actually been tied to the Bears).

Hell, Fitzgerald was never tied to the Bears, but I know on multiple ocassions I indicated that I would give him the largest contract in NFL history for a WR if there was any way the Bears could have gotten him.

Personally I think that any thread which involves a player or position the Bears have as a need, should be in the Bears forum. Basically put, if someone believes something is Bears related and throws it in the Bears forum it should be there.

However, I do think we should have an NFL forum, but that such forum should be for completely unrelated things, such as the Vikings signing some random QB or the Patriots doing something. Hell, a perfect example would be the Falcons trading DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders.

Bottom line, I think for 99.9% of the time, the posters who make the post should know whether they believe something is Bears related or not. For example, something on Mendenhall and the Lions would be a Bears worthy news considering how many of us on here believe the Bears should consider Mendenhall (therefor, I believe it is Bears worthy, regardless of whether Mendenhall has actually been tied to the Bears).

Hell, Fitzgerald was never tied to the Bears, but I know on multiple ocassions I indicated that I would give him the largest contract in NFL history for a WR if there was any way the Bears could have gotten him.

I, for one, don't understand why we even need to have this discussion. I think that a major part of the problem is that Bearstalk left the site where they were too hastily to join another board.

All of these options of how a board should be run were argued and discussed ad nauseum on the Bearstalk board. We ended up with a structure of a main forum for everything NFL related, a forum for college football, and a forum for off topic stuff. That was it. That was what we wanted. That was how we did things.

Now back to leaving the other site too hastily. Back in December at Bearstalk, we were led to believe that our current site was about to no longer be available very quickly. Because of that, there was very little discussion and we suddenly found a new home here. I for one, wasn't aware at first, that we would be merging with another board. That came as a surprise and I let it go. Then later came the realization that we weren't just merging with another board, but that we were joining another board that already exists on their turf. I figured that everything would be alright as long as things went on as before. Never mind that I'm member #2,585 when I've been around through at least 4 different sets of board software on the old board and have probably well over 10,000 posts that I'm not getting credit for. You look at my stats here and I look like a freakin newbie.

Well guess what. We're now at a point where we have to take steps backwards and argue all over again for what we already had. The fact that stuff started getting arbitrarily moved to other forums without any board discussion in the first place tells me that the current mods have no respect for our history or our desires and I honestly don't see how that's ever going to change. The current board isn't just a Bears board. They discuss other sports in other forums too. That's specifically the kind of board I generally stay away from and this multiple forumness is only one part of it. I've been letting a lot of stuff slide but this is the final straw.

Obviously everyone is welcome to do what they want, but seeing how the current admins either have no knowledge of our history, or are admins from Bearstalk that are ineffectual because this sort of stuff isn't discussed between admins before arbitrary action is taken. I think that this is disrespectful to the former member of Bearstalk. I think the Admins and Mods from Bearstalk should get together and discuss other options for hosting Bearstalk. I'd be happy to chip in on a domain name and server space so we can setup somewhere else where we aren't considered redheaded bastard stepchildren and our opinions actually count BEFORE people start making changes and not AFTER the fact.

I no longer wish to be a part of this board. Please delete my salary cap thread. You all will have to visit other boards to read my stuff from now on.

WTF,

The simple fact this discussion thread was created is in itself a sign of respect for all posters. If mods and admins were as disrespectful as you make out, they would make changes and when someone would complain, simply reply w/ a "F U". They cared enough to seek out opinions. I am not sure how you leap from that to disrespect.

You talk about how mods are moving things around, or doing things that were resolved at the old forum. I think you have too soon forgotten some of the many fights. I recall near death threats when a thread would be locked. The Mod would say it was due to too many posts and too confusing to follow, while some other posters would point fingers at the mod saying it was done to avoid further fights, or saying it was because the mod was on the losing end of fights. There were times when a thread would just disappear, which the mod would say was an innocent mistake, while some ruffled feathers poster would talk of conspiracy. We had plenty of fights. Are we having some similar discussion here? Sure. At the same time, I would simply point out the mods/admins are making an effort to work w/ the posters. They are not simply handing down the law, but asking for opinion.

Regarding our hasty exit from the old board, yes it was hasty, but as I recalll, there were reasons for such haste. Frankly, I do not recall the specifics. Those who ran the old board can talk in far greater detail. I can say I knew we were being merged w/ an existing board. That was not a secret. At the same time, there were other issues, including a dislike by most of the posters toward that board. The disrespect you talk of today was truly seen then. The "to-be" board basically said, "this is how it is" and if you don't like it, take a hike.

Regarding number of posts. Hey, I put my numbers up there w/ most. On the bearstalk board, as I recall, my number of posts were higher than any. Any while some will argue they lost posts in changes, I would simply argue I lost many thousand posts when I was forced to seek a new board. I believe it was at the Trib I used to post, prior to it going down the tubes. Point is, so what. I was a newbie when I came over from the Trib, but (a) quickly made my mark, IMHO and (B) recognized some posters from the Trib who gave me early on respect as well.

Here at this new site, there are some new names, but a lot of old ones as well. What, do you think when you post, no one knows who you are? Do you think when you break down salary cap info, it is taken w/ a grain of salt? I just do not understand why your panties are in a wad. You are known here, and given props. The admins do not disrespect us by asking for our opinions. The opposite in fact is true. There may be tweaks I would like to see on this board, but nothing major. Nothing that makes me consider taking off.

So w/ all that said, one final point. Main reason I made the jump (from the other board) was I like who I talk bears w/. We can talk about the mods and admins all day, but it is also much about the posters. We have a great group w/ kool-aid drinkers and nay-sayers who always provide a good debate. W/ a few minor exceptions, everyone keeps it VERY respectful, and no one gets too personal. Admins keep out the trolls, but quality posters keep the boards fun and enjoyable. I the community means that little to you, I don't see the point in argument.

Most here are here for the community. What are you here for? Respect?

WTF,

The simple fact this discussion thread was created is in itself a sign of respect for all posters. If mods and admins were as disrespectful as you make out, they would make changes and when someone would complain, simply reply w/ a "F U". They cared enough to seek out opinions. I am not sure how you leap from that to disrespect.

Nfo - you're walking into the middle of this. This first started getting discussed on the 11th. The response from Balta was that he was going to keep doing things the way he saw fit and the complaints were swept under the rug. It continued until the 13th when I said that there should be a poll. Balta said he would post one in a couple hours at 11:30am with condescension that they didn't want to lose me as a poster just because a few threads got moved. As I tried to explain, it's a far more complicated issue than a few threads getting moved. However, my thoughts and feelings were completely minimized. I also requested at that time that my salary cap thread be deleted. I also reiterated that point in emails to DBDB and Pixote too. The poll wasn't posted in a couple of hours, it was nearly 12 hours later. If they have time to be an admin and move threads around, it shouldn't take 12 hours to get a simple poll posted. And to top it all off, my salary cap thread is still there and intact.

You talk about how mods are moving things around, or doing things that were resolved at the old forum. I think you have too soon forgotten some of the many fights. I recall near death threats when a thread would be locked. The Mod would say it was due to too many posts and too confusing to follow, while some other posters would point fingers at the mod saying it was done to avoid further fights, or saying it was because the mod was on the losing end of fights. There were times when a thread would just disappear, which the mod would say was an innocent mistake, while some ruffled feathers poster would talk of conspiracy. We had plenty of fights. Are we having some similar discussion here? Sure. At the same time, I would simply point out the mods/admins are making an effort to work w/ the posters. They are not simply handing down the law, but asking for opinion.

I haven't forgotten those arguments. I remember them clearly and see no reason to have to relive them. As for the asking for opinion, it's too little to late for me. They are only asking for opinions because they realize that they have to. I get the impression that there are a core of posters that were here before us that are getting consulted behind the scenes. There should be no behind the scenes. It should all be out front and in the open. If not, then we should move to a board where that's how things are.

Regarding our hasty exit from the old board, yes it was hasty, but as I recalll, there were reasons for such haste. Frankly, I do not recall the specifics. Those who ran the old board can talk in far greater detail. I can say I knew we were being merged w/ an existing board. That was not a secret. At the same time, there were other issues, including a dislike by most of the posters toward that board. The disrespect you talk of today was truly seen then. The "to-be" board basically said, "this is how it is" and if you don't like it, take a hike.

Yes, but they also said our old board would be available if we wanted to stay there for awhile. In fact it's still there if you click on the "Bearstalk DC Forum" link. It's still there and it still works. I just created a new testing thread there.

Regarding number of posts. Hey, I put my numbers up there w/ most. On the bearstalk board, as I recall, my number of posts were higher than any. Any while some will argue they lost posts in changes, I would simply argue I lost many thousand posts when I was forced to seek a new board. I believe it was at the Trib I used to post, prior to it going down the tubes. Point is, so what. I was a newbie when I came over from the Trib, but (a) quickly made my mark, IMHO and (B) recognized some posters from the Trib who gave me early on respect as well.

That is really irrelevant. I was bringing it up only to point out that we are joining an established board here. When we moved, I was under the impression that we were moving to a shiny new board and that everyone would be starting from scratch together. It's just another instance of being misled. I'm not saying it was intentional, just that the hurry left us with an uninformed decision making process.

Here at this new site, there are some new names, but a lot of old ones as well. What, do you think when you post, no one knows who you are? Do you think when you break down salary cap info, it is taken w/ a grain of salt? I just do not understand why your panties are in a wad. You are known here, and given props. The admins do not disrespect us by asking for our opinions. The opposite in fact is true. There may be tweaks I would like to see on this board, but nothing major. Nothing that makes me consider taking off.

My anger and frustration ARE disproportionate to the moving of a few threads. However, it's a collection of a whole bunch of other stuff too. At the very least, I HAVE been disrespected in that I've asked for my salary cap stuff to be removed for several days now and nobody has done it yet. I have a new version that is ready to post and if I like the outcome of this process, I will post it. However, under NO circumstances am I posting the new one until the old one is removed. AND THEY HAVEN"T REMOVED THE OLD ONE AFTER REPEATED REQUESTS.

So w/ all that said, one final point. Main reason I made the jump (from the other board) was I like who I talk bears w/. We can talk about the mods and admins all day, but it is also much about the posters. We have a great group w/ kool-aid drinkers and nay-sayers who always provide a good debate. W/ a few minor exceptions, everyone keeps it VERY respectful, and no one gets too personal. Admins keep out the trolls, but quality posters keep the boards fun and enjoyable. I the community means that little to you, I don't see the point in argument.

Most here are here for the community. What are you here for? Respect?

Respect should be a given in my book. If I can't control the fate of my own work, there is no community to speak of.

So, let me ask you Nfo, is it reasonable for me to expect that the work that I put hours into and allowed to be posted here for free should be deleted if I request it?

Lloyd,

I have deleted your salary cap post as you requested.

I showed you no disrespect. I received your email Monday. I worked M-S of this week, this is my first day off since getting your email. I do not check my email daily, but I see it was dated the 12th. Every day this week I got up at 4:30 AM and left the house for work by 5:30 AM. Every day I returned to my home between 6:45 & 7:15 PM. Back to bed between 8 & 8:30 PM. I took awhile trying to figure out today just how to delete a post, finally found all the Admin options and deleted your post. First time I had to use these controls.

I truly do not understand why you are upset. You explained it to me in the email & you have posted your opinions on the forum. Still does not make sense to me. There is a poll up to get feedback from the users of the site as to how they would like the forums to be structured. I am sure when the results are in there will be some changes made. It appears that many (16 out of 20) want just about everything NFL related left in the Bearstalk forum 8 wanting the NFL forum closed entirely.

So if you feel disrespected because I did not take time to interrupt my hectic schedule to delete your article, I do not apologize. I did the best I could for you. If you feel slighted because an admin promised you a poll in 2 hrs and it took 12, well, maybe that admin had good reason. The main thing is he did what he said, he posted a poll. It wasn't until recent that anyone really raised much objection. It was clearly time to get feedback. We are getting it. Adjustments will be made if warranted. ALL admins do care about what our posters opinions.

You want respect. Well so do I. Everyone here does. Most everyone here shows respect for each other. We are a community as nfo said, or a family as I have always referred to the forum. If you do not feel that way then you are missing out on something special. I feel sorry for you.

I will not get into the reasons for the move or the details involved. I have gone into that before. I will say that no one was lied to. No one was misled. If there was any misrepresentation I assure you it was unintentional. The move was absolutely necessary. Many made it over. Most decided they liked it enough to stay and give it a try. Some did not like it and left. I hope you stay. It's your choice.

I guess I'll throw in my two cents, if it's even worth that much.

I would like to say that moving the threads never bothered me much. It was more of an annoyance then anything having to chase threads around.

I sort of saw this becoming an issue before it became one. I'm actually surprised the retitling threads never became an issue. The posters from Bearstalk are/were very passionate about their posts, and did't like to see them edited/moved. Who from there will forget the edited post debate there.

I hate to see the "community" or "family" or whatever you want to call it lose more members. That includes the people that I definitely don't get along with from the old board. We lost a lot in the transition, and hate to see more lost over changes in policy from our old board to the new one.

I'll be here either way till the board thrives or dies. I just don't post as much now due to the format. I haven't figured out the nuances, and miss being able to pick and choose who I read.