So lets talk QB

Connorbear

The draft is over and the Bears did not address QB until afterwards with Hanie and Hill. Let's discuss what they should do now. My thoughts:

- Rex and Kyle are going to battle it out for starter. Whomever wins out gets extended if they succeed.

- Wait for FA Qbs to hit the market from teams like Tampa (Simms, McCown, and Gradkowski may all be released) and bring in a 3rd stringer.

- Put Hill and Hanie both on the practice squad. We have 8 spots and 1 to 2 should be devoted to QB going forward.

Going forward, the Bears should bring in an asst QB coach (we have an asst DB coach, why not one for our most important position).

Finally, the Bears organization should hire a scout who will specifircally work on identifying QB talent going forward (I believe that Controlled Chaos has mentioned this on several occasions).

Thoughts?

Peace :dabears

Although I think we might just be waiting for a QB to drop from Tampa, I don't really think that's the greatest idea. I was kind of wondering if we do go a whole year without an answer to the QB position, who is going to be a free agent after the season? Are there any decent or potential QB's out there? If not then we will be right back at square 1.

My hypothesis of what they were thinking was that they are hoping that Simms is dropped. He was OK when he played, but he has/had a lot of potential. Even if he comes in this year and sits (which is the situation that it looks like) he'll practically be a rookie again. He'll get 100% healthy after his spleen incident and he'll absorb the playbook. I think we are hoping for this, but with Gruden you never know what he has up his sleeve.

I think you assessment is pretty spot on Connor...

Let's hope the Bears brain trust thinks similarly...

The draft is over and the Bears did not address QB until afterwards with Hanie and Hill. Let's discuss what they should do now. My thoughts:

- Rex and Kyle are going to battle it out for starter. Whomever wins out gets extended if they succeed.

- Wait for FA Qbs to hit the market from teams like Tampa (Simms, McCown, and Gradkowski may all be released) and bring in a 3rd stringer.

- Put Hill and Hanie both on the practice squad. We have 8 spots and 1 to 2 should be devoted to QB going forward.

Going forward, the Bears should bring in an asst QB coach (we have an asst DB coach, why not one for our most important position).

Finally, the Bears organization should hire a scout who will specifircally work on identifying QB talent going forward (I believe that Controlled Chaos has mentioned this on several occasions).

Thoughts?

Personally, I hope we do not have any interest in Simms. I disliked him in college, and saw most every game. Oklahoma had his number, and not much has changed. Oklahoma knew that when pressured, Simms folds. I have not seen anything change since his hit the NFL level.

IMHO, if Simms had a different last name, he would not have even been a starter at Texas over Applewhite. But he had the name. He does have many of the intangibles you love in a QB, but simply does not have it above the shoulders.

Right now, nothing would surprise me. I can see one of the two UDFA making the team as our #3 QB w/ the reasoning that we have two veterans at 1/2, so we can have a rookie at the 3rd spot. The other QB could be on the practice squad.

As for grabbing one of TBs cast offs, it may not be so easy. If there is any interest from other teams, he (whoever it is) may not want to be the 3rd QB for a team that has already said it will have a two man competition.

Regarding adding a QB specialst scout, it is a great idea numerous journalists have talked about, but also one NFL teams simply do not seem to go for, for whatever reason. While I would love it, I just do not see it. Can't explain why, but simply doesn't seem like something that is done.

Another possiblity is the Hefty Lefty Jared "You going to finish that?" Lorenzen. Since NY drafted Woodson fatty would be the odd man out.

He is a FA now so we can get him if we want him. Personally, I would pass. I have never been impressed.

yet again we look for other teams sweepings as our best hope to fill our qb roster, guys that can't even cut it as a #2 on other teams. if not that we are betting the future of the franchise on a walk-on qb to be our savior. one caution i might add... gruden is not a bad evaluator of qb's and can actually coach them. if we are hoping to pick up his garbage it may just be that... garbage.

this is what they should have done 3 decades ago and i have been screaming for this for 2.5 of them. if you don't have scouts and personnel to evaluate the college players you fail. if you have a gm who knows less than nothing about qb's and doesn't hire good scouts and personnel to evaluate these players to give him a clue, you fail. if you don't hire coaches and advisers that can push the talent you draft you will fail.

but then it comes down to priorities doesn't it? ever wonder why we can draft good running backs in our history yet don't have any idea what to do at the most important position in football? because it's an afterthought!!! we are so concerned with defense or on offense who contributes the season we draft them that we are always on the edge of the cliff when it comes to getting IMPORTANT personnel that needs a year or two before he is going to contribute. this includes your quarterbacks AND offensive linemen.

they should build a thousand foot high statue of jim finks in front of halas hall just to remind everyone how it is done.

Simms is apparently back at 100% but will still likely be released. I think he would make an excellent pickup as that would give the Bears three guys with at least the potential to be NFL starters (hopefully at least one of the guys pans out).

With the sheer number of draft picks the Bears had this year, along with the sheer number of RB's and WR's currently on their roster...at some point we're going to start running out of roster spots for the season. Either we're going to be cutting someone we don't want to cut or we're going to be unable to bring these guys in to start because they know the team won't have room for them. The classic redshirt IR trick will help with a couple guys I'm sure, but the Bears are already throwing a lot of roster spots at a handful of key O positions to try to solve problems with depth.

Thoughts?

First and formeost. This kid (see below) gives me reason to rethink my earlier feeling of utter dispair and think there is perhaps hope. PFW rated Hill somewhere in the 3rd - 5th round range. That is pretty good considering a majority of the "big name" QB's went during that time...or worse.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...l042708.article

Secondly, I don't think the Bears need to get a castoff this early in the year. Especially one of the seven QB's from TB. How about wait around and see what happens with Cleveland for example? They might have to make a choice this time next year (if not sooner) what they are going to have to do with either Anderson (unlikely) or Quinn (more likely). By then, the Bears will have solidified at least a 2nd and 3rd stringer on the team.

And lastly, the longer the post draft analysis drones on, the more I am convinced the Bears didn't do so bad after all. "Forte is a poor man's version of Mendenhall" "All the top Offensive picks for the Bears have educational prowess" (translation: little off field issues) are things that are good to hear.

Some candidates for the CHICAGO BEARS HONEYBEAR CHEERLEADERS :bears

1261418814_1268753550_9b584cf31fadc5c410

With the sheer number of draft picks the Bears had this year, along with the sheer number of RB's and WR's currently on their roster...at some point we're going to start running out of roster spots for the season. Either we're going to be cutting someone we don't want to cut or we're going to be unable to bring these guys in to start because they know the team won't have room for them. The classic redshirt IR trick will help with a couple guys I'm sure, but the Bears are already throwing a lot of roster spots at a handful of key O positions to try to solve problems with depth.

i couldn't agree more. that is right on spot.

The Bears will carry 6 WR's, 3 TE's, 3 QB's, 8 OLinemen, and 5 backfield options, just like last year. That makes for 25 players on offense, leaving space for 25 players on D, and 3 ST'ers.

I am almost positive we will carry 4 RB's and 1 FB. There is absolutely no need for 2 FB's, especially when Forte could step in at FB if injury occurs.

yet again we look for other teams sweepings as our best hope to fill our qb roster, guys that can't even cut it as a #2 on other teams. if not that we are betting the future of the franchise on a walk-on qb to be our savior. one caution i might add... gruden is not a bad evaluator of qb's and can actually coach them. if we are hoping to pick up his garbage it may just be that... garbage.

this is what they should have done 3 decades ago and i have been screaming for this for 2.5 of them. if you don't have scouts and personnel to evaluate the college players you fail. if you have a gm who knows less than nothing about qb's and doesn't hire good scouts and personnel to evaluate these players to give him a clue, you fail. if you don't hire coaches and advisers that can push the talent you draft you will fail.

but then it comes down to priorities doesn't it? ever wonder why we can draft good running backs in our history yet don't have any idea what to do at the most important position in football? because it's an afterthought!!! we are so concerned with defense or on offense who contributes the season we draft them that we are always on the edge of the cliff when it comes to getting IMPORTANT personnel that needs a year or two before he is going to contribute. this includes your quarterbacks AND offensive linemen.

they should build a thousand foot high statue of jim finks in front of halas hall just to remind everyone how it is done.

Woulda, shoulda , Coulda, Man people here negative as all get out, JA has done a Good job of building this team, and now we got rid of the all the guys that are long in the tooth, seems to me, all talk is void till they play.

Woulda, shoulda , Coulda, Man people here negative as all get out, JA has done a Good job of building this team, and now we got rid of the all the guys that are long in the tooth, seems to me, all talk is void till they play.

Sounds like you used to play the game. I believe most of this board spent their days mixing Gatorade.

I don't know about everyone else but, I have been trying to keep an eye on the eligibilty case of Univ. of Cincinnati QB Ben Mauck.He was recently denied a 6th year of eligibilty and could be headed to the supplemental draft. This could be someone the Bears could look at if they don't have to use an early pick.

I don't know about everyone else but, I have been trying to keep an eye on the eligibilty case of Univ. of Cincinnati QB Ben Mauck.He was recently denied a 6th year of eligibilty and could be headed to the supplemental draft. This could be someone the Bears could look at if they don't have to use an early pick.

The Bears dont think they need a quarterback which is why they didnt draft one. It wasnt cause they missed out on somebody because they could have gotten anyone but Ryan if they wanted to.

The Bears dont think they need a quarterback which is why they didnt draft one. It wasnt cause they missed out on somebody because they could have gotten anyone but Ryan if they wanted to.

Spot on DB. JA and Lovie knew they had Rex and Orton lined up to, hopeflly, win the job and there was no one that they felt warranted a picking over another position when their pick came around. They ust have earmarked the two UDFA that they signed all along.