Whatever Urlacher's price, it's right

DrunkBomber

Rick Morrissey April 20, 2008

I have been trying to come up with salient points the Bears might be making as they attempt to lower the numbers in contract-extension talks with Brian Urlacher, who, if he isn't Mr. Chicago, is near the top of the family tree.

There is, of course, Urlacher's recent back and neck injuries and the fear his game might be slipping because of those health issues.

There is his age, 30 next month, which, given the rigors of playing linebacker, works out to about 50 in normal human years.

There is the fact they gave him a nine-year, $57 million contract in 2003 and what's the big idea about wanting more money?

These are good points, nice points, perfectly sensible points. These are points that would sound great in a classroom for MBA candidates.

But they're irrelevant.

Who wants to be the Bears' executive who tells the public Brian Urlacher won't be playing this season because of a contract dispute?

Would that be you, Jerry Angelo?

Or you, Ted Phillips?

The idea that Urlacher, because he has four years left on his current contract, has no leverage is one of the silliest notions on record.

Whose jersey is by far the most popular in the stands at Soldier Field? That would be No. 54's. And that jersey has been among the top sellers in the NFL.

Urlacher is not just the most popular player on the Bears, he is the most popular athlete in Chicago right now and easily one of the most popular in city history. If people don't already have him up there with Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Michael Jordan and Ernie Banks, they will soon. That bullet head of his is iconic.

So the issue of leverage? It's a non-issue.

Tell me, if Urlacher were to retire or ask to be traded, who would take the brunt of the criticism: he or the Bears? Answer: the team that has reaped millions upon millions of dollars from its superstar.

Sure, if the Bears want to deal in ill will, all they have to do is play hardball with Urlacher and, by extension, the team's fans. What we're talking about here is a package deal. The amount of enmity the franchise would create would make the Michael McCaskey years look like the Era of Good Feelings. Fans generally don't side with athletes who want more money. Greed isn't pretty. But this is one situation in which you shrug and say, "Would three more years be enough, big guy?"

The Bears' business mind-set is obvious: You don't pay somebody for what they have done in the past; you pay them for what they will do for you in the future. That's a smart approach with almost any player. But Urlacher isn't any player.

He's the kind of player who comes around every 20 years or so. He is, as football people like to say about the exceptionally athletic, a freak. But he's so much more than that.

His popularity is indisputable. He's popular because he's a great player and, more importantly, an exciting player. When he's healthy, nobody runs sideline to sideline the way he does. Take him away from this franchise and you're left with Devin Hester to remind you why football is exciting. Left to the other guys on the current roster, you might be scratching your head over what the fuss is about. Rex Grossman?

Last year, when Lance Briggs went on a one-man crusade to help one man, himself, get richer, people lined up on both sides of the argument. Depending on your outlook, he either was somebody the Bears had to keep or he was the epitome of selfishness.

It's hard to picture public sentiment turning on Urlacher. It would be like turning on Mr. Cub. And that's an interesting comparison, seeing as how Banks is a vivacious people person and Urlacher is a product endorser, though one of few words. That just goes to show how intensely Chicago has connected with the way he plays football: All out, all the time.

There's obviously a limit here. The Bears aren't going to give Urlacher anything he wants. These are the Bears. They're more likely to offer him a percentage of the sales at a Soldier Field hot dog stand.

This really isn't a question of whether Urlacher is being disagreeable. The salary cap has gone from $75 million when he signed his contract in 2003 to a projected $116.7 million for 2008. You can bet the Bears have gotten more out of having Urlacher on the field than he has from them. He would like a little more of the "more."

It's hard to see how the Bears can draw a line here without insulting one of the best players in their history.

"Could I see a scenario where I wouldn't be here?" Urlacher said to the Tribune's Vaughn McClure. "It would be if they traded me. But we all know that's not going to happen."

The Bears, of course, are counting on the fact Urlacher loves football so much he won't be able to stay away from the field come the regular season. And maybe they're right.

But what if they're wrong?

This is something that I have noticed when they gave Briggs that big ass extention to keep him here in Chicago. I am not sure I still want Briggs and Urlacher has meant far more to this franchise since his arrival. I understand their concerns in regards to Brian's back issues, I personally think that Brian will be back with a vengence and will be doing anything and everything to prove his continued nay-sayers wrong once again. If JA and TP are that concerned about Brian's health, put incentives into the contract that I am sure that Brian will blow out of the water.

As much as I like Urlacher he had his big payday with an early extension years ago and it's still a relevant contract. His bitching and moaning bothers me when we have other key players that deserve their early payday (i.e. Hester). Anything the Bears offer is just courtesy but they in no way should feel obligated to pay him all this money again just a few years after the last deal. Isn't this the same guy who said he'd take a pay cut to help sign Briggs?

They tried. They were willing to give him upfront money, and additional money in the form of roster bonues for every remaining year of the contract. They were not just offering incentives, but giving him extra money for simply being on the roster.

But Urlacher doesn't want that. He wants guaranteed money. Not incentive money. Not future payouts. He wants a nice, fat bonus this year.

I have a problem w/ that, and disagree w/ the article. Might Urlacher go down as an icon for years to come? Maybe, but it depends on his actions going forward. The bears have had many greats over their time, but they do not always rate icon long term . Urlacher could be that, but his recent antics will put that into jeapordy.

My biggest issue is timing. Most players ask for more after a big season. But Urlacher?

The team is coming off a bad year, which is even more disappointing coming off a SB appearance.

Urlacher is coming off one of his most inconsistent seasons. While he finished strong, his play through the year was considered by most as below average (his average).

He is coming off a year which he suffered not only an injury, but one labeled chronic, meaning it may not simply be something of the past.

That is one of my biggest problems here. The timing. The timing honestly makes me wonder if he doesn't know his injury is worse than he leads on, and he isn't trying to get a big payday now, knowing his days of playing at the high level we have come to expect is in question.

I totally agree.

I'm in agreement as well, one commentator put it well when he said "let the ink dry on your last contract before you start asking for more money" He was rewarded with an extension not that many years ago and now he's crying for more while he still has years left on his current contract. Does he just want a new contract because they extended Briggs? Is Mr Urlacher jealous?

As nfo pointed out the timing couldn't be worse. Let's say I've been working with my company and I'd been doing really well and got rewarded with a nice salary increase. A few years go by and then I have a poor year marked by inconsistency and overall a much poorer level than the standard I'd set for myself when I got my last raise, rather than do what I need to do to show my employer that year is behind me and that I'm ready to get back to working at a higher level I tell anyone and everyone who will listen that I demand that I get more money. My boss has no reason to feel obligated to bow to my wishes and it would certainly not sit well with my employer. Not only that I would damage the moral of the team environment and I would become a bit of a cancer.

Crap like this is what turns fans against their own, he has acted childish his threats and demands are irritating. He is coming off one of his worst seasons in which his team went from being in the Super Bowl to last years disappointment. His demands go against normal logic, you just signed a fat extension not that long ago and now you're wanting more after a bad season performance. Most players who ask for an extension just came off of a big year and know that is the prime time to ask for more money. Same is true for us normal people. We know that if we have been performing well and a review is coming up we have some leverage to expect an increase. Granted we don't make demands we approach it professionally and with respect. In many ways I think Urlacher has lost touch. Do your job on the field, work hard and make plays, Jerry has shown that he and the Bears will reward their own. Pressing the issue is a bit of a slap in the face especially given the timing.

Personally I'd reward Hester before Brian.

Crap like this is what turns fans against their own, he has acted childish his threats and demands are irritating.

Please give him being childish with this request. To my knowledge, Brian has hardly said anything at all about this in public. Most of the news has come from sources. The only action that he has taken was skipping most of the voluntary workouts. Not that I agree with his demands. I just don't see him being childish. I would call Briggs actions last yr childish. In fact, he was a complete drill rod.

One clarification - I believe the offer the Bears have put on the table is more than generous. At this point they should tell Brian this is there final offer and they expect him to honor his contract.

Peace :dabears

Please give him being childish with this request. To my knowledge, Brian has hardly said anything at all about this in public. Most of the news has come from sources. The only action that he has taken was skipping most of the voluntary workouts. Not that I agree with his demands. I just don't see him being childish. I would call Briggs actions last yr childish. In fact, he was a complete drill rod.

One clarification - I believe the offer the Bears have put on the table is more than generous. At this point they should tell Brian this is there final offer and they expect him to honor his contract.

Remember when Jerry Azumah retired early because of an Arthritic hip condition and a bad neck? Brian Urlacher is diagnosed with an Arthritic back, he may be able to play with that back 1 maybe 2 more years. Urlacher knows he will never see the final 2 years on his original deal, thus leaving 13.5 million. If he plays this year, he gets paid 3.95 million and then if he plays 2009, he gets paid 4.95 million. All Brian is looking for is to get that money shifted so he's not leaving the majority on the table when he can't handle the pain anymore and has to walk away. He most likely has the entire 22 some million spent in his head, and is trying to find a way to get the Bears to give it to him by demanding a new contract. I think thats the main reason Brian got so upset with the media last year, when they learned of his health conditions. He prefered that to be kept quite so there wouldn't be as many questions about his demands.

This is just my thoughts, not that Brian is greedy, but he wants to get the majority of what the Bears owe him upfront so he can walk away with the better portion of his contract.

This is just my thoughts, not that Brian is greedy, but he wants to get the majority of what the Bears owe him upfront so he can walk away with the better portion of his contract.
I agree, he's not a naturally greedy person. I think he's coming to terms with feeling like a mere mortal and is wanting to maximize his earnings. I don't think he should push management too hard on a new contract, as you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you.

Silly me, I forgot how bad he's got it. I mean living with the possibility that he may have to live on 22 million. I can't imagine living on 22 million. That's only 343.75 times more than I make in the same 2 year period. I manage to live on 2.9% of what Brian will make in that 2 year period. I think I could figure out how to spread 22 million out over the remaining years of my life and still live more comfortably than I do now. Yes in 2 years his NFL career may be over, that doesn't mean he won't cash in in other ways. God forbid he have to get a real job.

The childish comment was referring to his dealing with the media. The timing bothers me, and if he is upset that the truth be told about his condition because it may weaken his bargaining position, then to me that's not being fully honest. And perhaps keeping it out of the media doesn't mean that he's kept it from the Bears, but we will never know what is being said behind closed doors between the Bears and Brian's agent.

I understand wanting to get paid as much as you can particularly in a sport where your career can often be short. But if it is the case that of the 4 years left on his contract Urlacher feels he may only last 2 years thus forfeiting the final 2 years on the contract and the 13.5 mil that he'd get if he played the four years. And if it's for that reason that he wants it reworked so he gets paid most of his remaining contract up front. The only reason I could support this is if he realizes he likely only has 2 years left with his current physical condition and gets his deal reworked to compress the last 4 years into 2 years. If they do that, then at or during the last year of the contract they can figure out if he can play beyond that and then perhaps sign shorter contracts.

But if he doesn't feel he can play for the 4 years left, be honest and upfront about it. The Bears aren't out to screw players, particularly not players of Brian's caliber. But what I don't want to see is should the Bears cave and shift most of the money from the remaining 4 years upfront and then reaching the last two years of the contract and then feels he can play out the full contract or beyond, then decides that he needs more money again because having shifted the money away from the last two years he now appears to be playing for peanuts. Besides that if the Bears bow to URL will that lead to more Bears demanding new deals?

I'm not saying I don't appreciate what Brian has done for the Bears he is an amazing athlete and other than his struggles with shedding blockers at times he brings athleticism to the MLB spot that is rare. From the day he arrived he's made an impact and played a large role in the revitalizing of the Bears defense. He brings fans to the games and there's awful lot of #54 bears jersey's out there including in my closet. You could argue that his inconsistent play of late is partly his trying to figure out a way to play through the injury by adjusting his routine. Even an injury hindered Urlacher is still a good MLB. It doesn't mean he's no longer effective. Brian is reaching a point where he may no longer have the athleticism to make up for mental mistakes. One of the things that helped him early on was he was so quick and athletic he could miss read or make a mental error but make up for it with speed. Many players learn to adjust their play. Jordan comes to mind, later in his career he became more of a jump-shooter than a slasher and learned to play smarter rather than simply relying on athleticism. He could still light you up but he did so in different ways than he did when he first got to the NBA. Is it possible he's now realizing that he can't make up for blown reads or mental errors with his speed anymore?

I have a huge problem w/ this line of thinking. The bears do not owe him jack. Brian has received a signing bonus already. He has money left on his contract, but that money is in place under the assumption he will be playing. The bears do not owe him the $22m, of whatever money is left on the deal. Brian owes the bears 4 more seasons, and in turn, the bears have agreed to pay him a certain amount for each of those seasons.

The idea the bears owe him money is beyond me.

Personally, I do not see what Brian Urlacher has done to piss so many posters and fans off.

Yes, he said a few things in the media, but nothing outrageous. I am sure what he did say has been over blown out of proportion. Remember, Urlacher has never been mistaken for a Public Speaker Extraordinary. He will, when he retires, never land a job with NFL Network, ESPN, be a color commentator, etc... He is awkward in front of the camera and microphone.

Yes, he wants to get as much money as he can. Does this make him evil or human? If it were me and I knew my career was coming to an end in 3 to 5 years I would certainly be trying to get a last minute retirement insurance from my team.

Has he done anything more or less than dozens and dozens of players around the league? He has shown far more class in his requests than 90% of them.

Yes, he skipped some voluntary workouts. Is this really such a big deal? This is done all the time by many players, especially older veterans, if for no other reason than they want to take it easy until the chips are on the table. I personally want to see him 100% healthy, rested, and ready to kick ass when the season starts.

I will be willing to bet any of you that he will, with or without a contract restructuring, give all he has for the team this year, just as he has in the past.

Agreed... Deeds not words in the least. He whined a bit, and viola! He was in camp doing everything he should. Until he actually "holds out", getting upset at the man seems just odd, if not downright silly.

Personally, I do not see what Brian Urlacher has done to piss so many posters and fans off.

Yes, he said a few things in the media, but nothing outrageous. I am sure what he did say has been over blown out of proportion. Remember, Urlacher has never been mistaken for a Public Speaker Extraordinary. He will, when he retires, never land a job with NFL Network, ESPN, be a color commentator, etc... He is awkward in front of the camera and microphone.

Yes, he wants to get as much money as he can. Does this make him evil or human? If it were me and I knew my career was coming to an end in 3 to 5 years I would certainly be trying to get a last minute retirement insurance from my team.

Has he done anything more or less than dozens and dozens of players around the league? He has shown far more class in his requests than 90% of them.

Yes, he skipped some voluntary workouts. Is this really such a big deal? This is done all the time by many players, especially older veterans, if for no other reason than they want to take it easy until the chips are on the table. I personally want to see him 100% healthy, rested, and ready to kick ass when the season starts.

I will be willing to bet any of you that he will, with or without a contract restructuring, give all he has for the team this year, just as he has in the past.

I don't think Urlacher has handled anything wrong. The only possible exception is that he probably should have spoke out against some of the rumors swirling around early in the off-season and put them to bed. Ie, the rumors of him demanding a trade and the like.

If you want to knock Brian, knock him for his lack of true leadership, not what he's done on the field or in negotiations with the Bears. Brian has had some off the field issues and isn't always the best to say the right thing or toe the organizational line when interviewed but he's a heck of a player. The problem is, given his injury, it would be relatively foolish of the Bears to throw a lot more guaranteed money his way when there is little security that his play will hold up and be worth that extra money.

I agree. Give him whatever. We don't need this s***ty distraction going into camp.

Same goes with Hester. Give him his money. That way, next year we can sign Houshmandzadeh and Garrard. I know Garrard probably won't leave JAX but if he gets out into the market I think we should and will give him whatever he wants.

Hate to burst your bubble but Garrard isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

David Garrard cashed in on his 2007 success with a shiny new contract (6-years, $60 Million) making him the highest paid Jacksonville Jaguar in the team’s history.

How do you give these guys whatever they want? Briggs, Harris, Hester, Urlacher, etc. Or is it just Urlacher and Hester than can get whatever they want? At what point does a budget come into play? At what point do you consider the long term implications of giving him whatever he wants? At what point do you consider the quality of players you can surround Urlacher with because less money available means lower quality at other positions.

I agree. Give him whatever. We don't need this s***ty distraction going into camp.

Same goes with Hester. Give him his money. That way, next year we can sign Houshmandzadeh and Garrard. I know Garrard probably won't leave JAX but if he gets out into the market I think we should and will give him whatever he wants.

Got this thing in the NFL called a salary cap which makes giving them whatever they want not possible. ;)

The offer on the table to Url is more than fair considering he has 4 yrs left on his contract.

Houshamazoo..................................championship

Got this thing in the NFL called a salary cap which makes giving them whatever they want not possible. ;)

The offer on the table to Url is more than fair considering he has 4 yrs left on his contract.

We had 31 in cap space this year and did dick with it.

Hate to burst your bubble but Garrard isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

David Garrard cashed in on his 2007 success with a shiny new contract (6-years, $60 Million) making him the highest paid Jacksonville Jaguar in the team’s history.

How do you give these guys whatever they want? Briggs, Harris, Hester, Urlacher, etc. Or is it just Urlacher and Hester than can get whatever they want? At what point does a budget come into play? At what point do you consider the long term implications of giving him whatever he wants? At what point do you consider the quality of players you can surround Urlacher with because less money available means lower quality at other positions.

I knew he signed an extension but when I looked to make sure under "recent transactions", nothing came up.

Houshamazoo..................................championship

Best NFL commercial ever.

Well, it's 2nd, behind the one that aired during SB42- "AND THE BEARS ARE GOING BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL!!" My house went nuts. :headbang :dabears

Bravo ! :notworthy

I completely agree with your assertion to reward Urlacher.

If for NO other reason then for carrying the team to a SB appearance.

How much was that worth to the franchise and the fans?

The NEW face of the franchise REALLY helped from the sidelines on crutches

and wRex is best suited as an anchor, preferably elsewhere, like the SS CbA$$

benson_multi_task.jpg

or

Lest we should ALL forget the disrespectful things Briggs said AND did and THEN got paid.

or

contract extensions and/or retention of coaches and management despite the inability

to plan, teach, or execute.

or...

But wait, Urlacher signed a contract, so, he should honor it.

Well, so should the Bears and make the remaining money guaranteed.

I'll bet Brian would be there for EVERY second of the contract, even if unable to take the field.

A gesture like that would indicate a heart does exist within the organization.

Mccaskey_bears_55817.jpg

31 million in cap space and we didn't do anything with it??? Let's see:

- Alex Brown extension

- Rex Grossman extension

- Kyle Orton extension

- Robbie Gould extension

- Lance Briggs extension

- Rasheed Davis extension

- Desmond Clark extension

- Tommie Harris extension

- Booker signed for 2 yrs

- Lloyd signed 1 yr

- All rookies signed except Williams

I'm probably missing someone in there. You may not agree with what they did with the money but they have followed their policy of taking care of their own. I think we still have approximately 3 million left to the cap (outside of the rookie cap). We will use this money by November to extend Hester or Url.

Side note, what's the cap space at the moment?

- Alex Brown extension

- Rex Grossman extension

- Kyle Orton extension

- Robbie Gould extension

- Lance Briggs extension

- Lloyd signed 1 yr

I'm probably missing someone in there. You may not agree with what they did with the money but they have followed their policy of taking care of their own. I think we still have approximately 3 million left to the cap (outside of the rookie cap). We will use this money by November to extend Hester or Url.

- Alex Brown extension

- Rex Grossman extension

- Kyle Orton extension

- Robbie Gould extension

- Lance Briggs extension

- Lloyd signed 1 yr

I thought you'd be more sensible then this since at the time we were on topic of talking about getting Housh and Garrard- I meant as in to go out and spend it on a player who wasn't with us last year, like Faneca, etc.