State of the Running Backs...

Mongo3451

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4858

I read the above story and picked out a few tidbits. I know coach-speak is simply fluff this time of year, but tell me what you think.

Spencer On Forte: "I like Matt’s work ethic. He’s a hard worker. He’s intelligent. He’s just a guy who wants to do well and he does everything the way it’s supposed to be done." Is he saying "he's the anti-Benson"? (Mongo)

What does he need to focus on heading into training camp? He doesn’t need a lot of reps to be good, but as you get reps and as you become a pro, then you understand how things work and things happen more naturally.

A ROOKIE DOESN'T NEED A LOT OF REPS TO BE GOOD... Looks like we have another spoon fed starter.

Spencer on Peterson:

Adrian Peterson has been a solid contributor for several years. What does he bring to the table?

Adrian contributes a lot just in terms of his work ethic and approach. He’s a true professional.

How capable do you think Adrian is of being a running back who carries the load and starts?

I think he’s capable.

If you are his coach, you better know he's capable. AP's been on the team how long? I have issues with the lack of savvy on this coaching staff. It seems like everytime our coaching staff is interviewed, some jackass staements are made. I'm still spinning over the WR coach saying Hester corrects him when he makes mistakes. Do good coaches function this way? Or am I being overly critical?

Spencer on Wolfe: A much more involved role than last year. I expect Garrett to step up. I expect Garrett to compete for third-down-type reps. He has the ability to make people miss and make big plays with the ball in his hands. We’re going to sort of mix it up a little bit and throw a couple more guys in there with the younger guys P.J. [Pope] and Matt Lawrence. But Garrett definitely needs to step up his game.

My opinion is that he over talking on Forte to erase bad PR on Benson. He is giving the positives of AP to off-set his lack of talent. Most telling, he is calling Wolfe out. When you mention that someone needs to step it up twicewhile answering the same question. Point made. To what extent do you think Wolfe is getting called out.

I think you are over reacting. As you said, coach talk is all fluff at this point.

I think all he was trying to do is say the right things. Not cause any problems.

Unfortunately, that is basically all we are going to hear from this series of articles.

I would not take any of them too seriously. What we need is to take a look at what they do on the field once preseason starts. That will begin to answer some questions for us. Talk is cheap, let's see how they perform.

Agreed...read anything coming from the Bears camp as staright up PR. It's no different than governmental press conferences. They tell you what they want you to hear, not necesarrily the reality of the situation.

I think you are over reacting. As you said, coach talk is all fluff at this point.

I think all he was trying to do is say the right things. Not cause any problems.

Unfortunately, that is basically all we are going to hear from this series of articles.

I would not take any of them too seriously. What we need is to take a look at what they do on the field once preseason starts. That will begin to answer some questions for us. Talk is cheap, let's see how they perform.

I think you may have your terminology mixed up...

The guy you're thining about is more commonly called a "short yardage" back. Let's say a Zack Crockett. Whereas a "3rd down back" is more of a guy dealing with a 3rd and long. Like a Dave Megget type of guy.

That's why people are constantly referring to Wolfe as a 3rd down back...

I really don't see Wolfe as a third down type back.....thrid and long ok maybe....but I have always thought of a third down RB to be a really big guy that can almost guarentee 2-3 yards...

I hate to be the Madden trade scenario guy but does anyone think Ricky Williams is available and if so what would his price be? With a whole new front office in Miami he might be available. If we could get him for a second day pick or a player we were thinking of trading anyway I think the risk might be worth it if he restructures his contract.

Because of previous character issues alone I do not think the Bears would pull the trigger on him even if he were available. Also, he has never been accussed, that I know of, of being a "team" player. I do not think I would want to have him in the same locker room as our new rookie Forte.

The Bears backfield is horrendous. No team that is planning on going to the playoffs should be relying on a rookie RB. Absolutely none, yet the Bears are calling themselves a playoff contender while they rely on a rookie RB and one of the most unproven WR corps I've seen on a Bears roster (and the Bears have had some pretty crappy WR corps).

Angelo better have a trick up his sleeve or secretly have plans in motion for how he plans on getting the team back to the promised-land. Luckily the Bears have made the playoffs under Lovie with horrible offenses in the past so maybe they'll be able to do it again (I'm talking about the season where Orton was the starter).

look for Kevin Jones to sign with either the Bears or Bucs tommorow. A Kevin Jones- Matt Forte duo might work. Jones looked better toward the end of the season with Detroit last year. Before they think about signing Simms i hope they give a good look at the Favre situation. He obviously wants out of Green Bay and is pissed they are holding him hostage. If they release him i really hope the Bears at least give his agent a call.

look for Kevin Jones to sign with either the Bears or Bucs tommorow. A Kevin Jones- Matt Forte duo might work. Jones looked better toward the end of the season with Detroit last year. Before they think about signing Simms i hope they give a good look at the Favre situation. He obviously wants out of Green Bay and is pissed they are holding him hostage. If they release him i really hope the Bears at least give his agent a call.

The Bears have been jonesing for a running game since trading Thomas Jones to the Jets in March 2007 – a month after Super Bowl XLI. Can Kevin Jones help supply the potent 1-2 punch that has been missing since that season?

Apparently the Bears are curious enough to take a good look at the ex-Lions running back, a former first-round draft pick who believes he can return to 1,000-yard form after two serious leg injuries the past two seasons.

League sources said Jones was scheduled to fly to Chicago late Monday night in time to take a physical and visit Halas Hall on Tuesday, one week before the Bears will report to Bourbonnais for the start of training camp.

More Chicago Bears headlines

No contract offer has been extended, but if the Bears are satisfied with the condition of Jones' surgically repaired right knee, it shouldn't be difficult to meet the veteran's terms. A source said Jones would accept a one-year deal to prove to his new team and the rest of the league how healthy and effective he still is.

He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee Dec. 23, leading to his release by the Lions a few months later, but always vowed he would return to fulfill the potential he flashed as a rookie in 2004 when he gain 1,133 yards.

He staged a workout June 28 to make his point and four teams attended the session in Saline, Mich. – the Bears were not among those present. But the team received a tape of the session and kept up with Jones more than they let on.

Initially, when asked about the possibility of signing Jones before the workout, team sources shot down the idea. It's unclear whether Jones' performance at the workout or a shift in team philosophy led to the change of heart.

The Bears have faith in second-round pick Matt Forte but adding a veteran with Jones' potential, even if he's not cleared until early in the regular season, would decrease the pressure on the rookie. If the Bears sign Jones, it would improve their depth and allow Adrian Peterson to return to a special teams role he starred in during 2006.

Surely signing Jones would represent a gamble. But for a team tired of seeing its running backs losing yards, the Bears have nothing to lose.

From the Tribune. Awesome news, sounds like if he shows that he's healthy he'll be a Bear (by tomorrow night if I were to guess).

Interesting. The Bears sat on the hype for a bit and now that Jones hasn't signed anywhere he's suddenly ready to take a 1yr deal to prove he can play. That means they can likely sign him now to a contract that doesn't have to impact our cap if we cut him. I'm sure Jones would prefer to get signed sooner than later, training camps start next week.

name='AZ54' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:48 PM' post='41562']

Interesting. The Bears sat on the hype for a bit and now that Jones hasn't signed anywhere he's suddenly ready to take a 1yr deal to prove he can play. That means they can likely sign him now to a contract that doesn't have to impact our cap if we cut him. I'm sure Jones would prefer to get signed sooner than later, training camps start next week.

We can only hope. Then we can look for an OG.

QUOTE (Mongo3451 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:15 AM)

Only if there was a dominant LG in free agency, we would have been set.

We could do the same thing with Bentley as we did with Jones. He would be an upgrade over Metcalf and or the rookies we have.

QUOTE (Mongo3451 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:15 AM)

Only if there was a dominant LG in free agency, we would have been set.

We could do the same thing with Bentley as we did with Jones. He would be an upgrade over Metcalf and or the rookies we have.

Bentley at 75 percent is leaps and bounds better than Metcalf at 100 percent... I really hope we sign him to a similar contract to Jones. He has a great chance to start here if he can still play.