Hester Signs!!!!!!!

fenom283

Cool. The devil is in the details. Can't wait to see what they agreed on. Hopefully the Bears didn't just toss a bunch of money at him hoping he develops at WR. But, when you compare the relative calm this will bring to camp compared to the Packers who can't seem to figure out to do with their Hall of Fame QB, it makes us look like a professional organization while they're lost at sea.

Classic.

name='CrackerDog' date='Jul 27 2008, 11:32 AM' post='42287']

Cool. The devil is in the details. Can't wait to see what they agreed on. Hopefully the Bears didn't just toss a bunch of money at him hoping he develops at WR. But, when you compare the relative calm this will bring to camp compared to the Packers who can't seem to figure out to do with their Hall of Fame QB, it makes us look like a professional organization while they're lost at sea.

Classic

Well put. If Ihad to predict, I'd say 5mil/year with incentives up to 7.5mil with 8 mil on the bonus.

If he is getting 5 mil +, he better learn how to be a WR quick or keep getting 8 returns for TD a year.

He obviously wanted more than he had earned as a WR and since there has never been a returner as good as him there is nothing more to base it on. Its a lot to pay but he demands a lot of money because of his unique skill.

Interesting, I'm guessing we'll see a heavy signing bonus and a lot of money in the latter years but obviously its a 4 year extension so technically he's under contract for the next 6 seasons.

I can't comment until seeing the money, but you got to really tip your cap to Angelo to be able to get all these deals done. I still think the Bears have some holes but they are a young team for the most part and I have no doubt Angelo will find a way to get this offense fixed in the next 2 years.

No info yet but JA has locked up everybody this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chicagobears.com/

Signed through 2013!!! That's freaking awesome.

Every deal the Bears have made so far this off-season have been pretty damn reasonable compared to what other teams in the league are paying. I'm guessing we'll be saying the same thing about Hester's extension.

The biggest debate for next off-season will be whether we should use the franchise tag on Grossman, Lloyd, or Kevin Jones (that's just me being unrealistically optimistic that all 3 make the pro-bowl . . . I mainly just threw those 3 names out because I think they're the only significant players we have on our roster that are due to become free agent.)

He obviously wanted more than he had earned as a WR and since there has never been a returner as good as him there is nothing more to base it on. Its a lot to pay but he demands a lot of money because of his unique skill.

Yeah, I'm always hesitent to pay a guy on what they haven't earned. And he hasn't earned WR money yet.

The Bears tend to prefer contracts that payout the same amount (or close to it) year after year through the life of the contract. At least that's what Cliff Stein (Bears contract negotiator/cap guy) has said at the Bears fan conventions the past few years. Guess we'll see soon enough.

My guess would be a decent signing bonus and a incentive heavy contract based off of receiving stats. Get X bonus (or salary increase) if you get 1000+ yards, make the Pro Bowl as a WR, get Y # of receiving TD's, Z # of receptions, that sort of thing. Perhaps even an 'opt out' clause that'd allow him to void some years of the contract if he achieves certain objectives.

But either way, glad to see they got it done! :cheers

Per ESPN.com

The four-year deal is worth at least $30 million, of which $15 million is guaranteed. But according to a source, it also includes a $10 million roster bonus in the final year if Hester reaches performance levels of a No. 1 receiver over the course of the contract. The bonus "de-escalates" to account for performance below the level of a No. 1 receiver.

The Bears tend to prefer contracts that payout the same amount (or close to it) year after year through the life of the contract. At least that's what Cliff Stein (Bears contract negotiator/cap guy) has said at the Bears fan conventions the past few years. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Good info on what Stein said Gunga. That makes total sense. The Bears, unlike some teams, typically don't give over-inflated money at the end of a contract. That's why you never hear about the Bears having a tough decision to make because a good player has a 10 million $$$ roster bonus due. We did cut Darwin Walker who was due to be paid a 4 million $$$ bonus, but IMO we cut him because he was bad more then anything else.

It also help explains how no player has a ridiculous cap it for one see.

Whatever the hell we paid Hester is far less then what he would have received had he ever hit the open market.

http://www.talkchicagosports.com/blog/?p=146

ChicagoBears.com is reporting that Devin Hester has agreed to a 4 year extension through the 2013 season. The extension included a $15 million signing bonus and could earn Hester a maximum of $40 million.

This was the hardest deal Angelo has taken part of in his career as Bears general manager. There has never been a player like Hester and that meant that no market had previously been established. Also give credit to Hester and his camp for being reasonable, despite a one day holdout.

Hester’s new task will be to get onto the football field and put in the necessary work to develop into the #1 wide reciever the Hester and the Bears believe he can be. Afterall, Hester’s contract has an escalator clause which would pay him an additional $10 million if he puts up #1 receiver production.

My guess would be a decent signing bonus and a incentive heavy contract based off of receiving stats. Get X bonus (or salary increase) if you get 1000+ yards, make the Pro Bowl as a WR, get Y # of receiving TD's, Z # of receptions, that sort of thing. Perhaps even an 'opt out' clause that'd allow him to void some years of the contract if he achieves certain objectives.

Great info on Stein Gunga. Also, welcome aboard :cheers

So, while this probably taps out most of the Bears' remaining cap room for this year, I have to think this puts the Bears in an excellent position to be players on the FA market next offseason right? Aside from the 1 year deal folks, Jones, Lloyd, Grossman, the Bears really don't have to worry about extending or losing anyone ext year do they?

How much do you want to bet:

Josh Cribbs just creamed his pants thinking about trying to get a new contract like Hester's

The Browns' Front Office is checking the phone's Caller ID so they do not answer it if it is Cribbs agent

There wasn't a measuring stick for this type of contract before, now JA has set the bar at a very high level

How much do you want to bet:

Josh Cribbs just creamed his pants thinking about trying to get a new contract like Hester's

The Browns' Front Office is checking the phone's Caller ID so they do not answer it if it is Cribbs agent

There wasn't a measuring stick for this type of contract before, now JA has set the bar at a very high level

I'll bet you whatever you want because Hester got 4-30 at the least not only because of his skills as a PR and KR, but because he is a WR, #1 or a #3. However, Cribbs, unless I'm mistaken, is nothing more then a KR and PR stud.

I'll bet you whatever you want because Hester got 4-30 at the least not only because of his skills as a PR and KR, but because he is a WR, #1 or a #3. However, Cribbs, unless I'm mistaken, is nothing more then a KR and PR stud.

And now he will want to be a WR as well and follow in Hester's footsteps.