I Blame

CrackerDog

true, Olsen does share a good portion of the blame. But as a coach, you have to adjust to these things.

Turner really did do a great job in the 1st half though. He was very creative and the Bears were passing a lot early in the down's and really kept the Panthers off balance. In the 2nd half he got overly conservative but he made the calls that put the Bears in a position to score quite a few first half points (Olsen's fumble prevented some more).

Heck, even in the 2nd half he still had a couple plays which if the players executed result in at least one more score.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Orton, who has no idea how to complete a pass down field without throwing it short and allowing his receiver to adjust (Booker open for a TD.).

How about he try to hit OPEN RECEIVERS when it counts (Davis open for a first down 5 yards downfield and he misses him)

1/10 when throwing beyond 10 yards.

Honorable mention to Turner. I thought to myself, no way he does the fullback inside hand off, again. It barely worked the first time. Way to not put confidence in your "star" RB.

But my vote is Orton. I thought he was terrrible today. Still not sold he is an NFL QB.

Well said man.

We out-rushed and passed the Panthers. Converted 40% of our 3rd downs and had no turnovers attributed to the QB. Yes, Ron Turner is a jackass for at least not running on that last 3rd and 1. He doesn't lose his job for that, even though he has done that before. This game comes down to penalties and Olsen, period.

I wholeheartedly agree. I am pissed at the playcalling from Turner at the end but that is not the reason we lost. Olsen and lack of discipline killed us.

Peace :dabears

That second Olsen turnover was not a forced fumble. Olsen lost control of the ball all by himself. Harris was in the area and held him down so his teammate could pick up the ball but he didn't force the fumble. I'd have to see the first one again to be know for sure but the announcers were sure giving him all the props. That's not to say that he sucks or that he doesn't deserve credit he has turned out to be a solid player. Cutting him was a mistake and it was even worse when we then had musical safties due to injuries.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The only thing Turner did bad was that last 4th and 1 call. But if Orton hits an open Davis then we are not in that spot.

First you have Olsen. Nuff Said.

ORton is what he is. When we can run the ball, he is fine doing his stepping into the pocket stuff and management. When we need him to win a game, he didn't get it done. I've been saying he is innaccurate for over a year with him missing high and skipping balls. His backers said he just needed more reps, time, etc. Well he needs to complete open looks.... over 12 yards. The Panthers also dropped three picks, remember. The most disturbing part was Orton totally mismanaging his audibles. Sometimes it messed up the line timing. Other times he checked out of good plays. And in the second half they showed that when Orton audibled the Panthers were accurately predicting the audibled plays. This is totally the opposite of one of Orton's supposed strengths. We can only hope he learns from this game, because that info is sure to make it around the league.

We can also blame the laziness of the penalties.

The last thing is the defense pulled their notorious second half dissappearing act. They dominate the first half only to show the missed tackles and weak coverage that plagued them in preseason. Anyone check out Urlacher on that one yard TD run. Terrible.

Here's to getting things fixed next week.

Well it doesn't matter. You don't pass the ball when you have 1 yard to go with the two minute warning coming up on 2nd and 1. If you get a first down outta that, who knows what can happen. We get into fieldgoal position and have one of the most accurate kickers in the NFL lined up to win it for us in the end. If only we were smart....

this is dej a vu all over again.

this whole game looked almost exactly the same as it has over the last 2 years without any improvement on our play calling.

we get a lead or keep it close the first half only to completely collapse in the second on offense. i''m sorry but that is play calling and coaching.

is there something i am missing, in that orton does not throw anything close to a high percentage ball down field at this point in his career, yet we waste 2 critical downs making THAT point the hard way? this game looked like it was schemed to have grossman as our qb and not orton.

is there some reason we keep throwing these sideline passes to our wideouts for '0' yards time after time? if i recall correctly it was 5-6 times in this game we try the same play that got us nothing before with the same results.

has anyone tallied up how many tackles paine has missed over the last 2 games? how about mcgown? with strong safety play like this is it any wonder we get run on? while i'm at it, where is paine on coverage plays? two to three yards in limbo. where is mike brown in coverage? is vasher even AVERAGE?

special teams, returns, were absolutely brutal today. poor decision making and penalties killed us. our offense nearly started every down in the second half inside their own 10 yard line.

what a thoroughly disgusting performance today.

this is dej a vu all over again.

this whole game looked almost exactly the same as it has over the last 2 years without any improvement on our play calling.

we get a lead or keep it close the first half only to completely collapse in the second on offense. i''m sorry but that is play calling and coaching.

is there something i am missing, in that orton does not throw anything close to a high percentage ball down field at this point in his career, yet we waste 2 critical downs making THAT point the hard way? this game looked like it was schemed to have grossman as our qb and not orton.

is there some reason we keep throwing these sideline passes to our wideouts for '0' yards time after time? if i recall correctly it was 5-6 times in this game we try the same play that got us nothing before with the same results.

has anyone tallied up how many tackles paine has missed over the last 2 games? how about mcgown? with strong safety play like this is it any wonder we get run on? while i'm at it, where is paine on coverage plays? two to three yards in limbo. where is mike brown in coverage? is vasher even AVERAGE?

special teams, returns, were absolutely brutal today. poor decision making and penalties killed us. our offense nearly started every down in the second half inside their own 10 yard line.

what a thoroughly disgusting performance today.

Good point! I have come to the conclusion that Kevin Payne sucks and I'm missing Chris Harris.

That second Olsen turnover was not a forced fumble. Olsen lost control of the ball all by himself. Harris was in the area and held him down so his teammate could pick up the ball but he didn't force the fumble. I'd have to see the first one again to be know for sure but the announcers were sure giving him all the props. That's not to say that he sucks or that he doesn't deserve credit he has turned out to be a solid player. Cutting him was a mistake and it was even worse when we then had musical safties due to injuries.

Uh yeah, we didn't cut Harris. He was traded.

Turner doesn't get any game balls for sure, but this is a classic example of the "he can't go out there and execute for his players" line. Let's not kid ourselves, Olson lost this game for us. He'll learn...and Chris Harris has a special talent for strips.

I agree 2 fumbles is unacceptable and too Bad Harris is not with the Bears -- hindsight 20/20!

Rough ROUGH game lets take it into next week and learn from the mistakes...As most of us thought we could have just as easily been 0-2 right now...

True. But if we play with some balls in the second half yesterday... And Olsen doesn't play like he has vaseline on his hands, we're 2-0.

One other thing, Orton is a big boy now. It's expected of QB's in the NFL that they be able to produce in those situations. I'll give him this one as a "learner" but he's got to step up and Turner has got to take the training wheels off him. If he can't get it done better than this, I'd almost rather have Grossman come in as a "reliever" at the end of the games like this so he can provide some energy. Not being able to produce at least a FG in this situtation is unacceptable. With that said, I personally think Grossman would've pissed the game away a lot earlier given the pressure Carolina was bringing.

We need someone with Orton's stability AND the ability to put up 200 to 250 yards per game in the passing attack. This 150 yards bullshit isn't cutting it.

True. But if we play with some balls in the second half yesterday... And Olsen doesn't play like he has vaseline on his hands, we're 2-0.

One other thing, Orton is a big boy now. It's expected of QB's in the NFL that they be able to produce in those situations. I'll give him this one as a "learner" but he's got to step up and Turner has got to take the training wheels off him. If he can't get it done better than this, I'd almost rather have Grossman come in as a "reliever" at the end of the games like this so he can provide some energy. Not being able to produce at least a FG in this situtation is unacceptable. With that said, I personally think Grossman would've pissed the game away a lot earlier given the pressure Carolina was bringing.

We need someone with Orton's stability AND the ability to put up 200 to 250 yards per game in the passing attack. This 150 yards bullshit isn't cutting it.

Well, everyone was all giddy when Orton got the job.

Oh, but he threw 0 INT's. Gotta love his knack for the end zone. :rolleyes:

Agree. He has to be more than a game manager for us to be successful. He has to be able to have some accuracy on those deep throws and loosen the defense up. He also needs to make his audibles quicker and check to better plays.

Well, everyone was all giddy when Orton got the job.

Oh, but he threw 0 INT's. Gotta love his knack for the end zone. :rolleyes:

Historically I've been one of the biggest Grossman backers here. But I still think the coaches made the right decision going with Orton. Grossman and his happy feet didn't win them or me over. I assumed Rex would win the job but, unfortunately, he didn't. Orton wasn't great yesterday (or against the Colts) but let's face it, in two games he did enough for us to win. Olsen gave this one away.

BTW... After hearing that the play to Booker was an Orton audible, I'm backing off the fire Turner thing. He called a decent game until the late third quarter. I still think he needs to grow a pair but the biggest blunder in this game wasn't Ron's.

Historically I've been one of the biggest Grossman backers here. But I still think the coaches made the right decision going with Orton. Grossman and his happy feet didn't win them or me over. I assumed Rex would win the job but, unfortunately, he didn't. Orton wasn't great yesterday (or against the Colts) but let's face it, in two games he did enough for us to win. Olsen gave this one away.

BTW... After hearing that the play to Booker was an Orton audible, I'm backing off the fire Turner thing. He called a decent game until the late third quarter. I still think he needs to grow a pair but the biggest blunder in this game wasn't Ron's.

Again I agree with most of what you are saying. Orton is what he is. He has yet to put to rest my questions of him. First, his accuracy, which we saw yesterday. Skipping throws, overthrows, and his line would look much worse if not for Lloyd (a pleasant surprise BTW) making tough catches on poorly thrown balls. Plus Carolina dropped three picks. At one point, they showed he was 1 for 10 in throws over 15 yards. We need to get those completed, especially when people stack the box against the run.

And secondly his "management" skills. This area was supposed to be a plus. He made some bad changes to plays and sometimes made them late. By the end of the game, Carolina knew exactly what he was changing the play to. They showed the Carolina defense reacting to an Orton audible and calling the play accurately.

This is something to be worried about. They are loosening the reigns for Orton to call more of his own game and it basically backfired on his.

Hopefully this is just a "brainfart" game for Orton, but he needs to get better so he can win us some games.

I agree Orton needs to step up. At the same time, I have no doubts in my mind that Orton is still better for us as the starter. I saw numerous occasions yesterday where Orton stepped up in the pocket to give himself space to make a throw. One play, he didn't seem to do much, but took a pair of steps forward in the pocket, then drilled the WR for a 1st down (or maybe it was Forte). Either way, I remember watching and thinking that it would have been a sack if Rex were the QB. There were plenty of other times I felt the same.

I agree Orton needs to do better. Much better. At the same time, I think we were in a position to win the game, and that may not have been the case if Rex were the QB, as I feel the turnovers and sacks would have been much higher.

I normally have been a Turner basher, but not from yesterdays game. As you said, Turner called for Forte to run the ball on 3rd and 1, but Orton audibled. I would also point out that Turner called for numerous downfield strikes, but Orton simply missed. That the WRs were open speaks well of the playcall, IMHO, though.

Turner called a pretty good game, IMHO, but failure to execute and penalties killed us.

I wonder how much was Harris being on the Carolina team. The announcers mentioned this. We have the same offense and same terminology as we did when Harris was w/ the team. The announcers pointed out that on several audibles, Harris was yelling to his teamates what the play would be. I am not sure that is so much "Orton being figured out" so much as a defensive player who knew our playbook. At least, that is what it looked like to me often enough.

Again I agree with most of what you are saying. Orton is what he is. He has yet to put to rest my questions of him. First, his accuracy, which we saw yesterday. Skipping throws, overthrows, and his line would look much worse if not for Lloyd (a pleasant surprise BTW) making tough catches on poorly thrown balls. Plus Carolina dropped three picks. At one point, they showed he was 1 for 10 in throws over 15 yards. We need to get those completed, especially when people stack the box against the run.

And secondly his "management" skills. This area was supposed to be a plus. He made some bad changes to plays and sometimes made them late. By the end of the game, Carolina knew exactly what he was changing the play to. They showed the Carolina defense reacting to an Orton audible and calling the play accurately.

This is something to be worried about. They are loosening the reigns for Orton to call more of his own game and it basically backfired on his.

Hopefully this is just a "brainfart" game for Orton, but he needs to get better so he can win us some games.