...pardon me while I vent

madlithuanian

OK, what we're seeing on this team is what many of us have been prognosticating for a while now.

1. Rex is not as good as Orton. But I don't fault him for the loss yesterday. He can only do what he can. This staff should have seen that floor and made moves accordingly running the ball more and taking the ball out of Rex's hands.

2. To say our D is piss poor, isn't fair to piss. I'll get into details, but the bottom line is this defense is awful. We're like the Pat's in SBXX. Doing everything we can to stop the run...at all costs. Thus, giving any QB we face everything they want. Time, options, birthday gifts, Christmas cards, free gasoline...

3. Babich is not an NFL coordinator. He cannot figure this out. Whether it's Zombie Smith forcing his hand and not standing up to it, or being solely responsible for the planning & scheming, it is clear that he is not a pro. He should be fired right now. However, what should happen within the realm of possibilities is that Lovie takes the reigns over completely...and then bounces Bobby B at the end of the season. This time, not tealling us to trust him. THis time, it's obvious.

4. Zombie Smith's time is over. I've been all over him for a while, but it's painfully obvious his team is losing respect for him. Smith should coach the rest of the season, and if we get more of the same, he should be fired. But, again, in reality world, and given his contract, he'll be given yet one more season to continue to stay the course and look for one dim flicker amoung a thousand points of light. He's good enough and has good enough talent to keep retaining a job like Wayne Fontes did for so many years in Detoit. Yep, that's what we have folks. Wayne Fontes. Good enough to keep a job, not good enough to do much else.

5. Our over-paid players. These whining babbies need to put up. From Harris to Urlacher to Vasher (to Hester)...these guys are not getting it done. And yes, please see #3's & 4, that hinder their productivity. But, at some point they need to do something! Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and theese guys I don't think have had a sack all year! (I know, they have, but I'm on a roll...) Overall, these over-paid players are full of lip service. Call out the coaches then! We know there are ways to do it without really doing it. Sorry, but as much as I respect a guy who keeps his business in the locker, I also respect a player who tells the truth and wants better for the fans.

Now, here's the good...

A. Forte! Love this kid! I was not high on him in the draft, and boy was I wrong! I was a Mendy guy... But, know full well my plate of c row is grilled with Sweet Baby Ray's and tastes great!

B. Orton has shown hew is a starting QB in this league! It's been fun watching him grow as a player these past week. HTe injury is unofruntate, but dang, it looks like we have something to hope for.

C. The O line is not nearly the train wreck I expected. We still need to build on it for the future, but kudos for keeping it together.

D. Olson. He's turning into a fine TE.

Here's the indifferent...

i. WR's. We seem to be doing well enough. No one's really fantastic, but we don't seem to have a lot of dead weight either.

That's it...sorry, I just needed to get this out of my system.

1. Rex is not as good as Orton. But I don't fault him for the loss yesterday. He can only do what he can. This staff should have seen that floor and made moves accordingly running the ball more and taking the ball out of Rex's hands.

Maybe to an extent, but at the same time, you are not going to beat a team like Tenn w/o some level of success through the air. If your QB, regardless who it is, can't hit open WRs, you simply are not going to get it done on offense.

2. To say our D is piss poor, isn't fair to piss. I'll get into details, but the bottom line is this defense is awful. We're like the Pat's in SBXX. Doing everything we can to stop the run...at all costs. Thus, giving any QB we face everything they want. Time, options, birthday gifts, Christmas cards, free gasoline...

Honestly, I don't have a big issue w/ the game plan going in. Collins had done very little through the air, while Tenn has been running on opponents like an elite college team does against an inferior opponent. We went in w/ a plan to shut down the run, something few have been able to do, and were successful in that regard. The problem I have is not making any adjustements when it became obvious Collins was capable of beating us through the air.

3. Babich is not an NFL coordinator. He cannot figure this out. Whether it's Zombie Smith forcing his hand and not standing up to it, or being solely responsible for the planning & scheming, it is clear that he is not a pro. He should be fired right now. However, what should happen within the realm of possibilities is that Lovie takes the reigns over completely...and then bounces Bobby B at the end of the season. This time, not tealling us to trust him. THis time, it's obvious.

Agreed he should not be an NFL DC. Agreed he should not have the job today. Agreed that, while said may be true, it does little benefit to actually fire him, and Lovie simply taking over the playcalling would be of a greater benefit.

4. Zombie Smith's time is over. I've been all over him for a while, but it's painfully obvious his team is losing respect for him. Smith should coach the rest of the season, and if we get more of the same, he should be fired. But, again, in reality world, and given his contract, he'll be given yet one more season to continue to stay the course and look for one dim flicker amoung a thousand points of light. He's good enough and has good enough talent to keep retaining a job like Wayne Fontes did for so many years in Detoit. Yep, that's what we have folks. Wayne Fontes. Good enough to keep a job, not good enough to do much else.

Agreed once again. Just imagine how bad we would look right now if Orton were not stepping up? Damn that Orton. If he just sucked as expected, Lovie may not be our future coach. Since Orton is looking good, we are likely to win enough that Lovie sticks. My only hope is Angelo steps in and demands Lovie (a) fire Babich and (B) hires a DC who is more than a yes man running Lovie's scheme. You know. Like a Rivera.

5. Our over-paid players. These whining babbies need to put up. From Harris to Urlacher to Vasher (to Hester)...these guys are not getting it done. And yes, please see #3's & 4, that hinder their productivity. But, at some point they need to do something! Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and theese guys I don't think have had a sack all year! (I know, they have, but I'm on a roll...) Overall, these over-paid players are full of lip service. Call out the coaches then! We know there are ways to do it without really doing it. Sorry, but as much as I respect a guy who keeps his business in the locker, I also respect a player who tells the truth and wants better for the fans.

I honestly go back and forth on this one. As much as we, as fans, would love to hear the leaders of the team simply come out and rip the coaches, how often does that go over well? We have seen it w/ other teams, and no matter the situation, whether the player is right, a leader, respected, whatever, it just does not go over well. Players are really in a bad situation in this regard. If they express their feelings, they are panned. If they don't, and simply keep quiet as they can't produce, they are panned.

On one hand, it is easy to say the player just needs to shut up, step up, and get it done. On the other hand, if the player simply is not put in a position to get it done, how much can he be blamed when the results are not there.

Now, here's the good...

A. Forte! Love this kid! I was not high on him in the draft, and boy was I wrong! I was a Mendy guy... But, know full well my plate of c row is grilled with Sweet Baby Ray's and tastes great!

I liked him in the draft, though I thought we reached a bit for him. My only issue then was not so much w/ him, but w/ taking a RB over QB/OL in the 2nd round. As good as Forte has looked, while Orton and the OL have exceeded expectations, it sure looks like I was wrong, and I am glad as hell for it.

B. Orton has shown hew is a starting QB in this league! It's been fun watching him grow as a player these past week. HTe injury is unofruntate, but dang, it looks like we have something to hope for.

All I can add to that is, imagine how much better he might look w/ an improved OL and WR corp. While our OL has done better than expected, it is still a LONG way from being good. And while our WRs may not suck as bad as expected, they are also still not very good. Does any other QB who has shown similar success as Orton this year, does any have less to work w/ ?

C. The O line is not nearly the train wreck I expected. We still need to build on it for the future, but kudos for keeping it together.

Agreed. I still think they are well below average in run blocking, but have pass protected better than expected. W/ that said, I also think a large part of that is Orton v Rex. Rex has a way of making an OL look worse than it is, while Orton has the opposite effect.

D. Olson. He's turning into a fine TE.

I still think his blocking sucks, but if he can develop as a receiving TE as we have seen, that will not be nearly as important.

Here's the indifferent...

i. WR's. We seem to be doing well enough. No one's really fantastic, but we don't seem to have a lot of dead weight either.

I don't know. Our WRs look pretty bad. If it were not for Forte being a good receiving RB, and having legit options at TE, how bad would this group look? We have gotten very little production from the WR position this year, and I think this is a huge need going forward.

1. Rex is not as good as Orton. But I don't fault him for the loss yesterday.

D'Ooooohhh...he lost another game for us during the week?!? ;)

He can only do what he can.

Can the staff install a shocker instead of a mic in Rex's helmet and use it if he throws another jump-ball INT play?!?

Alex Brown can NOT rush the passer alone!

To compound the problem, the blitz packages are beyond ineffective. How can 8 guys be swallowed at the line?

3. Babich is not an NFL coordinator.

I must counter the company line and say I think the scheme is the problem.

4. Zombie Smith's time is over...

Would you really want to fire him now? Really?!?

Patience, sir, Lovie should be allowed to remain at the helm until next season.

If Babich is playing the babbling beeatch (defense is pathetic) :shakehead at the end of the season, he should be fired and the clock starts ticking on the Zombie Malaise. :chair

Thanks for the feedback nfo! Well, thought out...

Although I think you're letting the D off too easy on item 2. I'd say not expecting the huge pass day from Collins would be acceptable if it didn't happen so many times already this season. Matt Ryan did it, Brian Griese did it, Orlovsky did it...etc. It's the same in week in week out. We do a good job on the run and then get killed in the air.

And I couldn't agree more on your comment about no adjustments... Even if the team does go in chocked that a team is passing on us...how do you not change plans at the half to stop what everyone else can see? This coaching staff is mind boggling.

Honestly, I don't have a big issue w/ the game plan going in. Collins had done very little through the air, while Tenn has been running on opponents like an elite college team does against an inferior opponent. We went in w/ a plan to shut down the run, something few have been able to do, and were successful in that regard. The problem I have is not making any adjustements when it became obvious Collins was capable of beating us through the air.

NO, I wouldn't fire Lovie now, I'd give him until season's end. He deserves that much.

Agreed on Babich!

Would you really want to fire him now? Really?!?

Patience, sir, Lovie should be allowed to remain at the helm until next season.

If Babich is playing the babbling beeatch (defense is pathetic) :shakehead at the end of the season, he should be fired and the clock starts ticking on the Zombie Malaise. :chair

NO, I wouldn't fire Lovie now, I'd give him until season's end. He deserves that much.

Agreed on Babich!

Let's explore this viewpoint.

You would fire Lovie at the end of this season.

Note: We'll assume Lovie wins no play-off games because that would preclude the possibility of a firing. ;)

What would you suggest da Bears do after firing Lovie?

Promote Ron Turner?

Promote Dave Toub?

Tell the Mink-Loving McCaskies to eat Lovie's contract and dip into the trust fund to pay Cowher?

Please explain. :dabears

I'll play!

Cowher fist. I want a proven leader and someone that knows how to be a HC. He's big money and would want big control. It would also probably mean Angelo's ousting, but I can live with that.

I'd go with Toub next. While his units haven't been the glory hounds they've been in the past...I'm willing to cut him some slack. If we are going with a true young star, I could go with Toub w/ reservation.

I wouldn't hire any Turner let alone Ron. He has not shown enough common sense in his second tenure here.

Let's explore this viewpoint.

You would fire Lovie at the end of this season.

Note: We'll assume Lovie wins no play-off games because that would preclude the possibility of a firing. ;)

What would you suggest da Bears do after firing Lovie?

Promote Ron Turner?

Promote Dave Toub?

Tell the Mink-Loving McCaskies to eat Lovie's contract and dip into the trust fund to pay Cowher?

Please explain. :dabears

Let me add a wildcard...

I'd be Ok with Martyball. It really is almost a perfect fit for us. We claim to be a running and defensive team. It's low-risk football. He always seems to have his teams in the playoffs...maybe his last stand gets him to the promised land?

I'll play!

Cowher fist. I want a proven leader and someone that knows how to be a HC. He's big money and would want big control. It would also probably mean Angelo's ousting, but I can live with that.

I'd go with Toub next. While his units haven't been the glory hounds they've been in the past...I'm willing to cut him some slack. If we are going with a true young star, I could go with Toub w/ reservation.

I wouldn't hire any Turner let alone Ron. He has not shown enough common sense in his second tenure here.

I know you don't like Lovie but Wayne Fontes??? How many playoff games did Wayne Fontes win? Answer: 1 (he was 1-4). Did he ever go to the SB? Answer: No

Pick another example.

Peace :dabears

I think Lance Briggs can be added to the good things. He got paid and he has continued to play at a high level.

Agreed. I was not very happy with Lance in the offseason when he skipped some workouts but he has played his arse off. Without a doubt he is our best defensive player.

Count me in. I don't get this "Fire Lovie" thing going around. Just doesn't make ANY sense at all. Especially when you compare him to Cowher. Cowher's record and Lovie's record to this point are VERY similar. Cowher went to 2 Super Bowls (lost one/won one). So far Lovie is on course to have a similar schedule. Look, he came into Chicago and said he would do three things:

#1 Beat Green Bay...did it a few times now,

#2 Win the NFC North - check..and then some

#3 Go to the Super Bowl - again accomplished

So now all he would need to do is win the Super Bowl in order to gain the recognition that you apparently think he is lacking. I really don't think that Lovie is being given a fair shake in the deal. I agree that Babich should go...regardless and most definitely Turner. Both have overstayed their welcome. I do think that Lovie still has what it takes.

So now all he would need to do is win the Super Bowl in order to gain the recognition that you apparently think he is lacking. I really don't think that Lovie is being given a fair shake in the deal. I agree that Babich should go...regardless and most definitely Turner. Both have overstayed their welcome. I do think that Lovie still has what it takes.

Turner's offense has proven to be effective now that Rex hasn't been given the keys to the kingdom. Turner stays. He has proven himself, now, for the 2nd time with this organization. Unlike the Rex years, I've only questioned his play calling a couple of times this year.

Thanks for the feedback nfo! Well, thought out...

Although I think you're letting the D off too easy on item 2. I'd say not expecting the huge pass day from Collins would be acceptable if it didn't happen so many times already this season. Matt Ryan did it, Brian Griese did it, Orlovsky did it...etc. It's the same in week in week out. We do a good job on the run and then get killed in the air.

And I couldn't agree more on your comment about no adjustments... Even if the team does go in chocked that a team is passing on us...how do you not change plans at the half to stop what everyone else can see? This coaching staff is mind boggling.

My point was meerly that I didn't have a problem w/ the game plan going in. Though other teams have done well enough passing on us, I still think it was a legit belief that if you shut down their run game, you would shut down their offense. So I agreed w/ the idea of stacking the box and keying on the run.

W/ that said, doing this puts pressure on the CBs, and they failed. Further, when it was obvious they were able to pass on us at will, adjustments should have been made, but they were not. That is a huge issue I have. The coaches say we simply need to execute better, but if the players are not executing, do you not need to do more than simply tell them to do better? That is when you need to make changed, whether to scheme or personnel, but our staff simply sticks their heads in the sand and hope the players start executing better.

I agree...

If it is the CB's fault, then you don't keep telling them to fix it...you adjust your scheme to help the CB's and stop the snowball effect.

My point was meerly that I didn't have a problem w/ the game plan going in. Though other teams have done well enough passing on us, I still think it was a legit belief that if you shut down their run game, you would shut down their offense. So I agreed w/ the idea of stacking the box and keying on the run.

W/ that said, doing this puts pressure on the CBs, and they failed. Further, when it was obvious they were able to pass on us at will, adjustments should have been made, but they were not. That is a huge issue I have. The coaches say we simply need to execute better, but if the players are not executing, do you not need to do more than simply tell them to do better? That is when you need to make changed, whether to scheme or personnel, but our staff simply sticks their heads in the sand and hope the players start executing better.

Smith has had more talent around him. Yes, Sanders was huge for them, but they had nothing else really. Smith has a lot more pieces to play with.

But I do digress...my point isn't that they are so similar as coaches, but that in an overall sense...neither were very good and yet are good enough for people to want to keep giving them a chance. The verdict is still out on Lovie I will admit...but I do not like what I am seeing.

His success in STL cames with a super power offense and never really stopped anyone. They relied on turnvers. It's somewhat the same now, except we aren't getting tunrovers. Turnovers are nice, but you must stop people. And not fall victim to the same things continually. Lovie has not shown me he can adjust. And in fact, when given the authority to make decisions (ie. bring in BBF Babich, he has failed).

I know he will be with the team at least another year. I just know that's how the club works. But, I won't be happy about it. Not that it matters. I'll still watch and cheer 'em on...but I know what we are dealing with now. And I won't be conned again.

I know you don't like Lovie but Wayne Fontes??? How many playoff games did Wayne Fontes win? Answer: 1 (he was 1-4). Did he ever go to the SB? Answer: No

Pick another example.