Bears targing Another Tackle in draft

canadianbear

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....k-in-draft.html

Personally, I would love the pick (Assuming he is there at 18). Would of gone top 5 last year if he came out early.

Williams and oher as ends for the next 10 years...thats how you solify an oline and an offense.

Just food for thought.

Hypothetical: If Sanchez and Oher are both available at 18 (would never happen, thus HYPOTHETICAL) who do you take?

Personally, I would love the pick (Assuming he is there at 18). Would of gone top 5 last year if he came out early.

Williams and oher as ends for the next 10 years...thats how you solify an oline and an offense.

Just food for thought.

Hypothetical: If Sanchez and Oher are both available at 18 (would never happen, thus HYPOTHETICAL) who do you take?

Under no circumstances should the Bears take Sanchez at 18, but especially not if Oher's available. Sanchez has a year of collegiate production on an absolutely stacked team, fair-to-middling arm strength, and a significant preexisting knee injury. Granted, he has a lot going for him in terms of decision-making and accuracy, but look at the track record for QBs who declare early. Historically, they don't do well, and I'd want to see a lot more evidence than 16 starts before I committed first-round money to a quarterback.

I take Oher...

Too much risk for Sanchez if Oher is available in the same slot. If Oher's gone and a copule others are too...then I'd seriously take a look at Sanchez.

Just food for thought.

Just food for thought.

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.

I would love that as long as we don't have to rely on them this season. Resign St. Clair, and let the rookies battle it out with him. May the best man win.

It always bothered me that Chris Williams was given the starting job so easily. He was handed the job damn near immediately. Forte wasn't named the starter until Bastard Benson was cut. MAYBE Chris Williams looked flat out that good, but I find that hard to believe for a rookie at one of the most difficult positions to play.

We start Williams opposite a rookie, and Kyle Orton will be wishing he was once again Chicago's #2 quarterback.

I do have to wonder if there's a certain amount of misdirection involved. Angelo's philosphy has always been that it's much easier to sign an offensive tackle then draft one. So now we're expected to believe he'll draft one in consecutive years? Especially while our DE position is a mess.

Of course last year he made no secret that he coveted Forte . . . we also expressed great interest in Danniel Manning before we drafted him. Of course we were supposedly very secretive about the bastard Benson, never even interviewing him before the draft . . . maybe we learned from that mistake.

Under no circumstances should the Bears take Sanchez at 18, but especially not if Oher's available. Sanchez has a year of collegiate production on an absolutely stacked team, fair-to-middling arm strength, and a significant preexisting knee injury. Granted, he has a lot going for him in terms of decision-making and accuracy, but look at the track record for QBs who declare early. Historically, they don't do well, and I'd want to see a lot more evidence than 16 starts before I committed first-round money to a quarterback.

What an incredibly idiotic post. You don't pass on a potential franchise QB, especially at 18, because of the track record for other QB's that declared early. That's freaking retarded.

However, unfortunetly, odds are that Sanchez is going to be long gone.

Back on subject now, Oher in the 1st at 18 would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind Loadholt in the 2nd if we don't get Oher. Either guy would be a great fit at RT for us.

Sort of funny to me how some feel the need to call a post "idiotic" as they only look the same in doing so.

If it was an absolute Sanchez was a franchise QB, yea I thik most would take the franchise QB over the franchise OT, but the only aboluste it there is none. Many are very unsure about Sanchez.

What an incredibly idiotic post. You don't pass on a potential franchise QB, especially at 18, because of the track record for other QB's that declared early. That's freaking retarded.

Back on subject now, Oher in the 1st at 18 would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind Loadholt in the 2nd if we don't get Oher. Either guy would be a great fit at RT for us.

Is the idea of Oher over Sanchez so easy for you. I know full well your opinion of OL, and know you would so love the opportunity to draft Oher, but you are FAR from sold on Orton and I thought you actually felt our finding a franchise QB was a high priority.

Is it that you (a) just do not view Sanchez as a franchise QB or (B) you simply do not believe there is a point in going after a franchise QB before you build your OL?

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.

I do have to wonder if there's a certain amount of misdirection involved. Angelo's philosphy has always been that it's much easier to sign an offensive tackle then draft one. So now we're expected to believe he'll draft one in consecutive years? Especially while our DE position is a mess.

There is always plenty of misdirection this time of year, but I wonder if we are not simply more seeing a change if philosophy. In years past, while the LT may have cost a premium in FA, you could fairly easily find RTs and OGs, and not spend a ton in doing so. But over the last number of years, RTs are starting to be paid on levels once considered only for LTs, and frankly, top end OGs are making sick money as well. Angelo talked about this some last year. He said he always preferred signing veteran OL, but that it was becoming so expensive to get those veteran OL, the draft was more and more becoming the way to go. After he said that, many felt it was spin leading up to the draft, but then on draft day we took Williams, indicating that he may have actually had a bit of a shift in philosophy.

I would love that as long as we don't have to rely on them this season. Resign St. Clair, and let the rookies battle it out with him. May the best man win.

It always bothered me that Chris Williams was given the starting job so easily. He was handed the job damn near immediately. Forte wasn't named the starter until Bastard Benson was cut. MAYBE Chris Williams looked flat out that good, but I find that hard to believe for a rookie at one of the most difficult positions to play.

We start Williams opposite a rookie, and Kyle Orton will be wishing he was once again Chicago's #2 quarterback.

Of course last year he made no secret that he coveted Forte . . . we also expressed great interest in Danniel Manning before we drafted him. Of course we were supposedly very secretive about the bastard Benson, never even interviewing him before the draft . . . maybe we learned from that mistake.

It's also possible the market for those positions has fundamentally shifted, with the kind of money teams have been throwing at O-Linemen in the past couple years (Bentley, Faneca, Gross, Hutchinson, Long, etc.)

Sort of funny to me how some feel the need to call a post "idiotic" as they only look the same in doing so.

If it was an absolute Sanchez was a franchise QB, yea I thik most would take the franchise QB over the franchise OT, but the only aboluste it there is none. Many are very unsure about Sanchez.

lol, there are no absolutes in the draft. But you don't pass up on a potential franchise QB when you're in a situation like us, and we just drafted who should be our franchise LT last year.

Peresonaly I think Sanchez will be there, but for the reasons already stated. Idiotic? Only idiot is the one who said it was idiotic. Take Oher and lets move on.

Why is that dumb? If the track record of underclassmen taken in the first round was even 50-50, or even close to that, I would agree with you. But there has been only one early entrant QB taken in the first round THIS DECADE that could be considered a franchise QB. To ignore that, and to think that your scouting department is a better evaluator of talent that just about evey other franchise in the NFL is arrogant and ignorant.

Further, to call someone's post idiotic and retarded is pretty disrespectful and uncalled for.

As far as Oher and Loadholt goes, I sincerely hope Angelo has filled the RT position through FA to the extent that he isn't forced to burn a first or second on that position when there are so many other positions in need of addressing.

Further, to call someone's post idiotic and retarded is pretty disrespectful and uncalled for.

I agree, totally uncalled for. We all have different opinions. That is why it is fun to exchange those on the forum. To use words like idiotic and retarded when addressing another poster's opinion is totally unnecessary. This is something we use to see all the time from "88".

Just food for thought.

I understand what you are trying to say but for me personally this isn't even a question. 1 question that we must ask ourselves is which is more of a priority QB or Oline. We got good play out of Orton last year considering what we thought at the beginning of the year. With Tait retiring and St. Clair not resigned yet. So for me this isn't even a question any more. I believe we can live with another year of Orton if that means we provide him with a Line to protect him. With Oher there it would solidify especially if Williams stays healthy(I know BIG IF).

Peresonaly I think Sanchez will be there, but for the reasons already stated. Idiotic? Only idiot is the one who said it was idiotic. Take Oher and lets move on.

lol, Oher could very well be gone in the top 10.

If Sanchez falls to 18, I'll eat crow, but I'll tell you for sure that he won't. Sanchez is a top 10 pick and any QB challenged teams picking beyond the top 10 passing up a potential franchise QB is beyond idiotic.

lol, Oher could very well be gone in the top 10.

If Sanchez falls to 18, I'll eat crow, but I'll tell you for sure that he won't. Sanchez is a top 10 pick and any QB challenged teams picking beyond the top 10 passing up a potential franchise QB is beyond idiotic.

I was dying this morning when I heard this but the Lions are looking at both Stafford and Sanchez to take with the #1. They are leaning towards stafford but not sure yet lol. Why would they even consider Sanchez at #1 unless they are desperate for QB and won't be able to sign Stafford.

I was dying this morning when I heard this but the Lions are looking at both Stafford and Sanchez to take with the #1. They are leaning towards stafford but not sure yet lol. Why would they even consider Sanchez at #1 unless they are desperate for QB and won't be able to sign Stafford.

Assume they know which QB they want. If someone else falls in love with the other guy and they don't know which guy Detroit wants then perhaps Detroit can trade down with them.

Two, talking with both sides is often used as a negotiating ploy. Now it's way too early to be talking about contracts but this may be just the beginning of Detroit planting some doubt in the minds of the agents they'll be dealing with.

They can choose any player they want at #1 so they have nothing to lose by hyping up someone else's value prior to the draft.

Is the idea of Oher over Sanchez so easy for you. I know full well your opinion of OL, and know you would so love the opportunity to draft Oher, but you are FAR from sold on Orton and I thought you actually felt our finding a franchise QB was a high priority.

Is it that you (a) just do not view Sanchez as a franchise QB or (B) you simply do not believe there is a point in going after a franchise QB before you build your OL?

I didn't see the question (nor did I see the OP's caveat with Sanchez).

To be honest, I think it's almost an equally important need. However, I feel that the OL is in a much more dire need right now than QB, since Orton is probably more competent than the OL has been the past few years. Aside from that, I'd love to see a franchise QB get drafted, but I fear he'd be wasted behind this OL, and horribly under-utilized behind Turner's borderline retarded gameplans. The guy would end up leaving the Bears after his initial contract was up, and kicking ass elsewhere. Until this team (from ownership to coaching) gets serious about actually having a team that is dangerous on offense (rushing AND passing), I feel it's best if the attention is focused on the positions that will actually produce an offense that will benefit Chicago for the time being. And that, as cliche as it is, goes right back to rushing the ball and defense.