AND THE FIRST NEW BEAR IS ?

Stinger226

As just reported by Mully on the Score we have a new Bear. They ran out and got Frank Omiyale/OT from Carolina. Hopefully you have a strong heart to get this breaking news so early.

Here's the SunTimes article:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/02/be..._agency_si.html

Omiyale is young, 26, and can play OG or OT. Doesn't bode well for St. Clair.

Now who else do we bring in?

Mully mentioned that 4 other teams were in the bidding for him. He said they signed him to an estimated 4 yr, 10 million dollar deal.

Peace :dabears

Since I have lost my trust in the management end of this team over the last two years, I will say I hope he can play and they made a good move to get him. So where do you think they darft a tackle in the first round or second?

From USA Today, who does a really nice job of summarizing every team's free agents:

—OT Frank Omiyale started one game at left tackle for the Panthers and did well. With Jordan Gross and Jeff Otah ahead of him, Omiyale knows his chances of starting here depend solely on injuries to the players ahead of him. That might prompt him to explore the market and look for a place to compete for a starting job.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...nthers/home.htm

Not a big fan of this. Seems to me he might be a younger version of St. Clair. Solid backup and swing tackle, but nothing all that great. Hopefully he becomes something more than that, but I would have much rather see us take that money and the money we were gonna give St. Clair, and sign Brandon Moore.

I just hope this is a signing instead of St. Clair, rather than w/ the idea of pairing him and St. Clair.

As just reported by Mully on the Score we have a new Bear. They ran out and got Frank Omiyale/OT from Carolina. Hopefully you have a strong heart to get this breaking news so early.

I just hope this is a signing instead of St. Clair, rather than w/ the idea of pairing him and St. Clair.

Agreed. I also hope we get one of the other names that have been mentioned.

I also think that this is exactly the type of move we will be seeing from JA this off season.

Try to get some cheap up and commers that will be able to develop.

One, how times have changed when $14m is considered getting an unknown player w/ some potential on the cheap.

Two, I would like to see what St. Clair signs for.

Three. My fear is we still sign St. Clair, and consider this guy and St our two FA OL additions. That would make me puke.

Agreed. I also hope we get one of the other names that have been mentioned.

I also think that this is exactly the type of move we will be seeing from JA this off season.

Try to get some cheap up and commers that will be able to develop.

One, how times have changed when $14m is considered getting an unknown player w/ some potential on the cheap.

Two, I would like to see what St. Clair signs for.

Three. My fear is we still sign St. Clair, and consider this guy and St our two FA OL additions. That would make me puke.

If this deal is properly backloaded, then we can cut him after a couple of relatively cheap years with little pain. If he develops into a solid player, than 4/14 might end up being a good deal.

I like him as a younger, cheaper replacement for St Clair. I hate this as a replacement for Tait. Hopefully, JA pairs this with a real RT (like Stinchcomb or Barnes) and we get a younger, better line and we don't have to use a high pick on an OT.

One, I am not saying the money is just awful. I am just making the point of how things have changed. Simply pointing out how, not long ago, he would most likely have been looking at a 3yr deal for MAYBE $6-8m. I realize we don't know how the deal is structured, and I am not making a fuss about the deal. Just pointing out how much more expensive it is taking "flyers" than it was only a few years ago. But that seems to be the market these days.

Two, as I said, I don't have a huge problem w/ this deal if (a) St. Clair does not return and (B) St. clair signs a deal for considerably more.

I would rather have St. Clair than this guy. Maybe, and it is a huge maybe, he has more upside, but St. Clair is a more proven veteran, capable of playing anywhere on the OL but center. But the biggest key for me is simply our pairing him in FA w/ a higher level OL. Still hoping for Moore or Brown.

If this deal is properly backloaded, then we can cut him after a couple of relatively cheap years with little pain. If he develops into a solid player, than 4/14 might end up being a good deal.

I like him as a younger, cheaper replacement for St Clair. I hate this as a replacement for Tait. Hopefully, JA pairs this with a real RT (like Stinchcomb or Barnes) and we get a younger, better line and we don't have to use a high pick on an OT.

According to Mully, 4 other teams were bidding for him so he has some perceived value. Would love us to sign another o-lineman and a vet receiver then we can go with best available player in the 1st round.

Peace :dabears

He's an OT from Carolina. He played in 10 games and started one. He gave up 2 sacks, and got a deal for 4 years and between 11 and 14 mil.

I hope he's just for depth/competition. From what I've heard from Carolina fans, he's a pure left tackle. When the Panthers lost their right guard, they kicked Otah inside to RG, then moved Gross over to the right tackle spot and put Omiyale in at LT. Apparently the reason for moving two starters out of position was that Omiyale can ONLY play the left side. I don't know, though. It could also just mean that he's a worse run-blocker than Gross or Otah: no shame in that, both those dudes are beasts.

Still, we've got a quasi-rookie coming off back surgery penciled in as our starting left tackle. It can't hurt to have quality depth behind him, and I'd be surprised if Omiyale is as bad in pass protection as St. Clair. I guess we'll have to wait and see with him.

No disrespect intended to Omiyale, because he was playing behind two beasts in Carolina, but I really hope he's signed for backup/depth purposes. If he's signed to start, it's bad. Come to think of it, if he's signed for that much to sit the bench and be a platoon player, then it's probably not that good either.

I fear that the Bears will go into next year with another mediocre line at best, filling in crucial spots with Omiyale and St. Clair, and the offense will once again be fairly stagnant.

What is really sad to, for me, is that several players I had hoped we would target are not getting the huge offers they had hoped for, and yet I read nothing of our showing interest.

Jason Brown supposedly got an offer from St.L in the $7m range, but reports also say he does not want to be a Ram and is hoping to get offers from other teams. In Brown, you have a young player who is considered an upper tier center who can also play very well at OG. Well, we have an immediate need at OG, and w/ Kreutz on the downside of his career, and near the end of his contract, Brown seems like an ideal fit. $7m/yr is FAR from chump change, but we have plenty of cap space, and Brown would go a long way toward fixing our OL.

Brandon Moore - I have heard very little about Moore thus far, but he would be a great fit as well. Young OG who was supposedly NY's best run blocker.

TJ Hous - The huge market has not materialized. Few would argue we have the need. Most who were balking at the idea of adding TJ were mostly against the massive contract he would want, but if the offers are not so massive, and he is being viewed as a upper tier possession receiver and not game changer, we absolutely should be involved.

I have no problem w/ the Carolina kid we added, so long as it was done simply for depth, but w/ the lack of interest we seem to have thus far in other FAs, I fear we are looking at him as more than depth.

No disrespect intended to Omiyale, because he was playing behind two beasts in Carolina, but I really hope he's signed for backup/depth purposes. If he's signed to start, it's bad. Come to think of it, if he's signed for that much to sit the bench and be a platoon player, then it's probably not that good either.

I fear that the Bears will go into next year with another mediocre line at best, filling in crucial spots with Omiyale and St. Clair, and the offense will once again be fairly stagnant.

Jason, I too have the same concerns...

Amen!

We don't have to be in the Haynesworth or even Housh cash bonanza derby...but it seems painfully obvious we should be looking at a good lot of these solid OL out there.

What is really sad to, for me, is that several players I had hoped we would target are not getting the huge offers they had hoped for, and yet I read nothing of our showing interest.

Jason Brown supposedly got an offer from St.L in the $7m range, but reports also say he does not want to be a Ram and is hoping to get offers from other teams. In Brown, you have a young player who is considered an upper tier center who can also play very well at OG. Well, we have an immediate need at OG, and w/ Kreutz on the downside of his career, and near the end of his contract, Brown seems like an ideal fit. $7m/yr is FAR from chump change, but we have plenty of cap space, and Brown would go a long way toward fixing our OL.

Brandon Moore - I have heard very little about Moore thus far, but he would be a great fit as well. Young OG who was supposedly NY's best run blocker.

TJ Hous - The huge market has not materialized. Few would argue we have the need. Most who were balking at the idea of adding TJ were mostly against the massive contract he would want, but if the offers are not so massive, and he is being viewed as a upper tier possession receiver and not game changer, we absolutely should be involved.

I have no problem w/ the Carolina kid we added, so long as it was done simply for depth, but w/ the lack of interest we seem to have thus far in other FAs, I fear we are looking at him as more than depth.

According to the Sun Times blog, there are sad times ahead.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/

The Bears signed this guy to be the starting RT.

They still want St Clair back.

They are not interested in Housh.

So we'll be overpaying for 2 mediocre OTs because they are versatile, but not paying a true RT to fill a much needed spot.

They won't be going after the best WR available, they won't even try, despite having a ton of cap room and a loyal fan base that sells out every game in minutes.

The Bears were lucky to get to 9-7 last year. They had the 21st ranked offense and the 26th ranked defense, so they easily coild've had 6-7 wins. The appear to be content to have another off-season like last year, hoping that taking also-rans and has-beens on the cheap will solve their glaring problems.

I am so pissed right now.

``We told him that we wanted to look at him at guard first,'' Angelo said of Omiyale. ``But we're not going to limit him in terms of reps only at guard. ... We'll expose him to tackle, which is where he's been predominately playing. But we want to expose him to guard as well.''

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....e-at-guard.html

Anyone care to remind me the last time a position switch worked for this team (besides Devin Hester, when they technically just corrected their original position switch mistake)? This is so GD stupid.

``We told him that we wanted to look at him at guard first,'' Angelo said of Omiyale. ``But we're not going to limit him in terms of reps only at guard. ... We'll expose him to tackle, which is where he's been predominately playing. But we want to expose him to guard as well.''

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....e-at-guard.html

Anyone care to remind me the last time a position switch worked for this team (besides Devin Hester, when they technically just corrected their original position switch mistake)? This is so GD stupid.

Azumah :dabears