Pace released

GakMan23

Rams | Pace released

Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:48:03 -0700

The St. Louis Rams have announced they have released OT Orlando Pace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we look at him so we have a veteren in place and maybe bring someone in thru the draft to learn under him until they are ready to take over the reigns as he probably only has a couple of years left in him anyways?

you beat me to it. Just saw it pop up in my RSS reader.

I'd pass. He's mostly missed the last 2 seasons. We're not in a position to be taking chances with our O-Line.

Agreed with homeboy. For me it comes down to "34" being the magic number. Fred Miller turns 34 and he's done. John Tait turns 34 and he's done. Pace is 34 in November, and he might have been done two years ago.

Honestly, I'd think Pace might be ready to retire. He's used to being one of the highest paid offensive tackles in the league, and he'll be reduced to a one year offer most likely.

That being said, I wonder what the hell's going on with St. Clair?

He's been injured, but if the Bears lose out on St. Clair it wouldn't be a bad option to sign Pace as a stop-gap. The problem is, you know your relying on a guy whose best years are behind him and that might not be able to stay healthy and if he goes down the Bears wouldn't have any options (well I guess they would have the guy they just signed). So I think if you sign Pace, you do it because you want him to temporarily start while you are training your early draft pick.

He's play 23 games in 3 years, and 14 of those came last year. Like DBDB said, if we lose out on St Clair, Pace wouldn't be a bad option depending on the price.

Let us all remember we Got Rueben Brown at the end of his career and he had two good years. Pace probably wont be picked up till after the draft. He has been to injured and will want to much. He need to be humbled with a wait to be picked up.

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle dogged by injuries in recent seasons, was released by St. Louis on Tuesday.

Team owner Chip Rosenbloom said in a statement that Pace, who was the first overall pick in the 1997 draft, would be remembered as "one of the finest Rams of all time." Pace, 33, started 14 games last season, but he missed half of 2007 and virtually all of 2006 due to injuries.

I know He's been injured but got to be a major upgrade if he stays fit and Williams must pick something up working with him any thoughts.

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle dogged by injuries in recent seasons, was released by St. Louis on Tuesday.

Team owner Chip Rosenbloom said in a statement that Pace, who was the first overall pick in the 1997 draft, would be remembered as "one of the finest Rams of all time." Pace, 33, started 14 games last season, but he missed half of 2007 and virtually all of 2006 due to injuries.

I know He's been injured but got to be a major upgrade if he stays fit and Williams must pick something up working with him any thoughts.

My only deal would be the two parts that I highlighted in your post. That and given he is a former #1....cost.

I'm struggling with this one. I think he would have great value. But how would it affect the future, Williams in particular. How do you bring in Pace and not give him a chance to win the position of LT? My overall feeling is that we should strongly upgrade our OL weather it be from the draft or FA. My preference for now would be to sign Barnes and draft a day one stud OL.

Surely a beat up Pace is better than our options at this present time.Bad injury 2006 played 14 games 2007,which I would say is has good has a full season. At his age I wouldn't say he's over the hill, an average player at 33 would be, but a great player at 33 you will probably get 3 very good years plus what would Williams and any other OT learn from him.Mind you all this is hyperthetical because the penny pinching way we go about free agency will mean another season of doing nothing.

Why not sign Pace if StClair wants to sign sign him.

Then ideal situation Williams is a stud LT Pace to RT and StClair LG and if worst case Williams isn't a quality LT, put Pace there let Williams and StClair battle for RT if Williams is the better option then StClair at LG because at the moment I see holes at LT RT and LG.Probably line sorted then for 2 yrs

Then draft WR in the 1st and FS in 2nd then OLine depth priority after that.