If Lovie really believes this he should be fired.

butkusrules

What do you expect him to do? Lovie does not throw anyone under the bus, even Shea was supported during the season before being canned in the offseason. If Turner is here next year, then you can complain, but during the season, Lovie just does not throw anyone under the bus.

What do you expect him to do? Lovie does not throw anyone under the bus, even Shea was supported during the season before being canned in the offseason. If Turner is here next year, then you can complain, but during the season, Lovie just does not throw anyone under the bus.

They expect him to change. He needs to show more emotion. He needs to call his players out. Even though he hasn't done that for the 5 yrs he has been here, they feel he has to change to satisfy them. ;)

Peace :dabears

My 2010 coaching list in order:

Bill Cowher

Mike Shanahan

Mike Holmgren.

The most likely candidates for the 2010 Bears head coach in order:

Lovie Smith

Lovie Smith

Lovie Smith

I just don't see them firing him and owing 11 million while shelling out 6+ million per for guys like those on your list. It just isn't happening. We are stuck with Lovie no matter how much we want otherwise.

Geez... Like back during the preseason many of you are still reeling from that painful loss against the Bengals a few weeks back. And as a result you are ready to cash it all in and start over. First off, how about we first get through the halfway mark of THIS season before we give up all hope? I agree that Turner is probably not the solution on OC but I am not so sure about Lovie. He is running the Defense and it is improving; despite losing Urlacher, Tinoisomoa (to injuries), Mike Brown to waiver and Vasher to age...or something.

Afalava and Manning are holding their own at the Safety spots and we all would have to agree that Peanut is solid where he is, although he flubs up from time to time. Bowman, when he stays healthy, is a strong and improving commodity and the DL is recovering and still showing signs of life. Moving Hillenmeyer (considering the circumstances) was a very wise choice and keeping Briggs and Roach on the S and W LB's was the better of all evils. I think the only thing lacking at this point was not bringing in Derrick Brooks. Something tells me that he would have been a great addition.

On Offense. Well, I am convinced Cutler wants to win and play for Chicago. Lest we revisit the "helicopter" move he did a few weeks back against Detroit? Then against Cleveland he faced his fair share of a beating. One time almost being squashed flat by Sean Rogers and another time getting clocked on the chin by the helmet of a blitzing LB. That being said, yes there is no doubt the OL needs to collectively gets its ass in gear. Forte is inneffective in large because of that and I fear it is only a matter of time before Cutler is hurt, especially if he keeps getting "visited" by the opposing defense.

Let's all remember that the Bears lost a close one to both the Packers and Falcons...on the road. (The Falcons loss was due in large part to stupid crunch time MENTAL mistakes; not physical ability or lack thereof). And I might remind you that the Bears did beat the defending Super Bowl champion Steelers; something which the Vikings did not. Next are the Cardinals (home), 49ers (road) and Eagles (home) - all winnable games. Despite what Philadelphia did last week to the Giants, Philadelphia is spotty and never consistent (like McNabb). Then after that the Bears finally meet the "mighty" Vikings. That is almost a month away (4 weeks) and a lot can happen between now and then.

So let's try and keep it together and not lose all hope just yet. At 4-3 the Bears are in a lot better shape than they are given credit for.

Our best bet to to hold out hope that Fisher isn't let go for another year and Smith is next year, when the Bears could sever ties w/ Smith w/ only 1 year on the contract.

The most likely candidates for the 2010 Bears head coach in order:

Lovie Smith

Lovie Smith

Lovie Smith

I just don't see them firing him and owing 11 million while shelling out 6+ million per for guys like those on your list. It just isn't happening. We are stuck with Lovie no matter how much we want otherwise.

Alaskan, I appreciate your positivity! However, I think you're not seeing the big picture. Many of the poster are not on Smith and staff just this season. it's a cumulative effect of all the seasons post, and to some degree including the SB season.

There's no choice in re-building. We have no OL. And our DL is a shadow of what it once was. It's all won and lost there.

There's no doubt Cutler is the future... I just hope his talents aren't wasted behind poor coaching for more years...

Actually 4-3 was pretty much what was expected before the season started... We thought we'd beat Green Bay 1-0, we thought we'd lose ot PIT 1-1, we thought we'd beat SEA 2-1, we thoughts we'd beat DET 3-1, we thought we'd loseto ATL 3-2, we thought we'd beat CIN 4-2, we thought we'd beat CLE 5-2. Actually, we are doing worse than we thought! (Or at least some of us...)

My kool-aid needs a re-fill. Maybe a strong win agasint AZ will to that... Until then I'm skeptical.

Geez... Like back during the preseason many of you are still reeling from that painful loss against the Bengals a few weeks back. And as a result you are ready to cash it all in and start over. First off, how about we first get through the halfway mark of THIS season before we give up all hope? I agree that Turner is probably not the solution on OC but I am not so sure about Lovie. He is running the Defense and it is improving; despite losing Urlacher, Tinoisomoa (to injuries), Mike Brown to waiver and Vasher to age...or something.

Afalava and Manning are holding their own at the Safety spots and we all would have to agree that Peanut is solid where he is, although he flubs up from time to time. Bowman, when he stays healthy, is a strong and improving commodity and the DL is recovering and still showing signs of life. Moving Hillenmeyer (considering the circumstances) was a very wise choice and keeping Briggs and Roach on the S and W LB's was the better of all evils. I think the only thing lacking at this point was not bringing in Derrick Brooks. Something tells me that he would have been a great addition.

On Offense. Well, I am convinced Cutler wants to win and play for Chicago. Lest we revisit the "helicopter" move he did a few weeks back against Detroit? Then against Cleveland he faced his fair share of a beating. One time almost being squashed flat by Sean Rogers and another time getting clocked on the chin by the helmet of a blitzing LB. That being said, yes there is no doubt the OL needs to collectively gets its ass in gear. Forte is inneffective in large because of that and I fear it is only a matter of time before Cutler is hurt, especially if he keeps getting "visited" by the opposing defense.

Let's all remember that the Bears lost a close one to both the Packers and Falcons...on the road. (The Falcons loss was due in large part to stupid crunch time MENTAL mistakes; not physical ability or lack thereof). And I might remind you that the Bears did beat the defending Super Bowl champion Steelers; something which the Vikings did not. Next are the Cardinals (home), 49ers (road) and Eagles (home) - all winnable games. Despite what Philadelphia did last week to the Giants, Philadelphia is spotty and never consistent (like McNabb). Then after that the Bears finally meet the "mighty" Vikings. That is almost a month away (4 weeks) and a lot can happen between now and then.

So let's try and keep it together and not lose all hope just yet. At 4-3 the Bears are in a lot better shape than they are given credit for.

Sorry, but that is simply not true. While he may not be one to call out individual players, too many times last year he made a point to say the scheme was fine, but the problem was in the execution. Right there, he was (a) defended his BFF Babich, not to mention his own scheme and (B) throwing the players under the bus in saying the scheme and playcalling were fine, but the players just failed to execute the plays/scheme.

If given the choice between throwing the players under the bus and questioning his scheme, he seems to prefer the former rather than the later.

Alaskan, I appreciate your positivity! However, I think you're not seeing the big picture. Many of the poster are not on Smith and staff just this season. it's a cumulative effect of all the seasons post, and to some degree including the SB season.

There's no choice in re-building. We have no OL. And our DL is a shadow of what it once was. It's all won and lost there.

There's no doubt Cutler is the future... I just hope his talents aren't wasted behind poor coaching for more years...

Actually 4-3 was pretty much what was expected before the season started... We thought we'd beat Green Bay 1-0, we thought we'd lose ot PIT 1-1, we thought we'd beat SEA 2-1, we thoughts we'd beat DET 3-1, we thought we'd loseto ATL 3-2, we thought we'd beat CIN 4-2, we thought we'd beat CLE 5-2. Actually, we are doing worse than we thought! (Or at least some of us...)

My kool-aid needs a re-fill. Maybe a strong win agasint AZ will to that... Until then I'm skeptical.

From this game agianst Cleveland I think the biggest thing that we need to take from this game is CONFIDENCE. We caused 5 turnovers, and I know it was just Cleveland and it shows you how bad they really are but we have to take Confidence going into Arizona. If our Defense doesn't take confidence we will get pounded this week. Our offense hasn't been doing what we thought however the offense is still better than it was last year. I agree the OLINE needs alot of help but we just made a change that we need to give more than just 1 week to see how it works out. People are complaining about the Dline and rightfully so but lets keep in mind that it is doing better than last year as well. Last year we couldn't pressure any QB in the league. Bowman is finally staying relatively healthy and Afalava has been a surprise as has been the WR's. Look at things this way. We are 4-3 and the Queens are 7-1. If we win this week we will improve to 5-3 and have ALOT of confidence going further and we will be 2 games behind the Queens and we still play them 2 times. We do control our own destiny. However we must play better.

Lovie believes in a united front with the media. That doesn't mean thats how he acts behind closed doors and ultimately its those actions that matter.

Given how widely respected Lovie is around the league, I think a lot of people here have gotten really ridiculous.

By all means, I support the notion of moving him and think some of whats happened this year warrants it, but at the same time, he does a lot of very good things as a head coach and that even temper is something that will allow him to have a long-term career as an NFL coach.

Great post.

I really don't see how anyone could complain about what Smith did in his first few years here, leading up to getting us into the Super Bowl. I realize a lot of people got on him for what happened with Rivera, but Lovie admitted that mistake and has taken over and is doing a lot with very little on the defensive side of the ball.

Bottom line, I think we all forget all of the good that has happened while Lovie was in Chicago. He built us into a team and fan base that expects to win (we didn't expect to win for a long time in Chicago....basically since Ditka left its been bad).

The defense was restored to order with Lovie, we were the talk of the league for a couple years and are still widely respected and have a coach who is widely respected around the NFL.

I've not seen anyone complaining what was done prior to the SB year. I made mention that there were some complaints during that season.

Please. Lovie has never admitted anything! He couldn't dare fire Babich! He just took over play-calling. Yes, reality says that's what happened, but he never admitted to it.

He's done better than Wanny and Jauron, but to me that's not good enough. Look, if a guy like Shannahan can be fired, who actually won 2 SB's, then a guy who took a team there to get beaten and then proceeded not not make the playoffs for the next 3 years can certainly be fired. It's not what did you do for me, it's what are you doing for me now. And right now, Smith ain't doing much to earn his lofty salary.

The D was pretty good under Jauron too...in fact I think his overall scheme is superior to Smith's.

We still live through the 85 Bears. 2006 will be known only for starting Grossman, AZ's meltdown, Hester, miracle defensive plays, and watching Manning finally get his ring. I want nothing to do with 2006. That's done, and it failed. And I see nothing from this current regime that will get us there again and win it this time.

Everthing about Smith reeks of soft. Soft camps. Bad tackling. Preach stripping instead of tackling. Speed vs strength. If not for a few stud players, this team would be in dire straits.

I really don't see how anyone could complain about what Smith did in his first few years here, leading up to getting us into the Super Bowl. I realize a lot of people got on him for what happened with Rivera, but Lovie admitted that mistake and has taken over and is doing a lot with very little on the defensive side of the ball.

Bottom line, I think we all forget all of the good that has happened while Lovie was in Chicago. He built us into a team and fan base that expects to win (we didn't expect to win for a long time in Chicago....basically since Ditka left its been bad).

The defense was restored to order with Lovie, we were the talk of the league for a couple years and are still widely respected and have a coach who is widely respected around the NFL.

I've not seen anyone complaining what was done prior to the SB year. I made mention that there were some complaints during that season.

Please. Lovie has never admitted anything! He couldn't dare fire Babich! He just took over play-calling. Yes, reality says that's what happened, but he never admitted to it.

He's done better than Wanny and Jauron, but to me that's not good enough. Look, if a guy like Shannahan can be fired, who actually won 2 SB's, then a guy who took a team there to get beaten and then proceeded not not make the playoffs for the next 3 years can certainly be fired. It's not what did you do for me, it's what are you doing for me now. And right now, Smith ain't doing much to earn his lofty salary.

The D was pretty good under Jauron too...in fact I think his overall scheme is superior to Smith's.

We still live through the 85 Bears. 2006 will be known only for starting Grossman, AZ's meltdown, Hester, miracle defensive plays, and watching Manning finally get his ring. I want nothing to do with 2006. That's done, and it failed. And I see nothing from this current regime that will get us there again and win it this time.

Everthing about Smith reeks of soft. Soft camps. Bad tackling. Preach stripping instead of tackling. Speed vs strength. If not for a few stud players, this team would be in dire straits.

If everything about the Bears reaks of "soft" than why do we consistently here about how the Bears are one of the more physical teams in the league (and from players around the league).

I remember hearing Chad Johnson elude to it and it gets referred to as often. I realize the popular thing to do is get on Smith because of how he isn't vocal to the media, but aside from the Cincy game he gets his guys to show-up.

I've had my issues with the intensity out of some of our defensive stars after the Super Bowl season, but I've just came to the reality that those defensive "stars" aren't stars.

However, the Bears always come out to play (with one exception in the last few years). Mistakes happen, its a part of football.

Are people calling for Fassel's head (Giants Head Coach) after they got embarassed by the Eagles? No

Were people calling for Bellichecks head when the Bills annihilated him in an opening day win against the Patriots (he went on to win the super bowl that year)? No

Bottom line is, blow-outs happen sometimes in the NFL. By and large though, this team has pretty much always met my expectations and than some under Lovie as opposed to the other way around and to me that is a sign of a quality head coach.

Huh? Where did you read that the Bears are one of the most physical teams in the NFL? Seriously. Maybe 3-4 years ago, but these past few seasons? Really? I need to see some sources.

Ochocinco was being nice since he was going out and about town with Jay and Greg... And yes, Briggs and Tillman get props. But, those are 2 really good players, not the whole team.

Did his guys show up in Atlanta? In Green Bay? Those 2 weeks, the team looked poorly prepared an unready to play. In fact, they didn't look ready to play against CLE. it took 5 possession before one of the teams got their first 1st down! Yes, the D looked good...agasint CLE mind you.

You're probably right about the defensive stars. Harris was one I loved and now loathe.

Honestly, the Bears really haven't come out to play in ANY game this year. How many points do we have in the 1st Q and how many have we given up?

I think you meant Coughlin, not Fassell. He won a SB...he has some good will built up. Look how long it took Billick to get ousted in Baltimore. Sometimes the change is good. Look what harbaugh is doing for them now. One of my best freinds is a NE guy...and after that game, he did want Billicheck fired! However, the season played istelf out and ended up as good as it could for them. I'm not saying get rid of Smith right now, as tempted as I might be... I want to wait for season's end. I want to give him that.

I'm not concerned about blowouts... Walsh had up, Knoll had 'em Parcell had 'em, etc... it's how the team responds, and how everything was going up until that blowout. If we were playing kickass ball and playing samrt ,etc...i think we'd all roll with it. But after getting 2 weeks to prepare for ATl, starting poorly and ending poorly there...and having what happened in CINCy...it just doesn't look good as a trend. Cleveland's anice band-aid. Let's see what happens this Sunday. It'll be very telling one way or another.

PS - I love your passion! It's good to see some positive viewpoints... But I'm just not in a buying mood this week.

If everything about the Bears reaks of "soft" than why do we consistently here about how the Bears are one of the more physical teams in the league (and from players around the league).

I remember hearing Chad Johnson elude to it and it gets referred to as often. I realize the popular thing to do is get on Smith because of how he isn't vocal to the media, but aside from the Cincy game he gets his guys to show-up.

I've had my issues with the intensity out of some of our defensive stars after the Super Bowl season, but I've just came to the reality that those defensive "stars" aren't stars.

However, the Bears always come out to play (with one exception in the last few years). Mistakes happen, its a part of football.

Are people calling for Fassel's head (Giants Head Coach) after they got embarassed by the Eagles? No

Were people calling for Bellichecks head when the Bills annihilated him in an opening day win against the Patriots (he went on to win the super bowl that year)? No

Bottom line is, blow-outs happen sometimes in the NFL. By and large though, this team has pretty much always met my expectations and than some under Lovie as opposed to the other way around and to me that is a sign of a quality head coach.

I agree with a lot of this. I also think a lot of the jobs Lovie has done with mediocre talent are overlooked. The past few years weve went on stretches where we had Orton and AP starting together, Booker as our number 1 WR and devastating injuries all over the field and have always been relevant. While I do think Lovie gets a bad rap for some things he does, I do think he needs to be less stubborn with the Tampa 2 because we dont have the personnel to run it and Cincy exposed it.

The key to beating Arizona is defensive pass rush. If we can get to Warner and rattle him we should win. I think Tillman is a good matchup for Fitzgerald and their running backs arent anything that will kill us. Theyll get some nice gains with some underneath passes but I think we limit the big plays. I also think Cutler has a big game because of the balance of their run/pass D statistically, despite last week. Ill be at the game so I hope this is how it goes down.

Id also love to get Cowher here in the worst way. I would say it would never happen but Jay Cutler is here.

Um, to begin, when exactly did Lovie admit letting Rivera go was a mistake. Yea, he essentially admitted Babich was a mistake, but he never admitted letting Rivera walk was a mistake. IMHO, those are two different matters.

Moving on, you say he is "doing a lot" with "very little". Not sure about that. While I have no argument that we are not loaded on defense, I do question the idea we are "doing alot". In fact, I think that is a key area many take issue. The belief that Lovie is simply not getting the most out of our players.

Well, this is where we differ. Even back then, I felt Lovie was more along for the ride than in charge. How much our D fell off since Rivera left, IMHO, gives considerable evidence how much of that SB level D was Rivera. Lovie has minimal involvement on offense, so you want to credit him there? No, even back then I felt we were winning inspite of Lovie far more than due to him. I felt that if not for Lovie, our defense would have been FAR more threatening than it was.

But was it restored to order w/ Lovie or w/ Rivera? Since Rivera left, that defense has been pretty bad. Just not sure how much of that championship D was Lovie.

I was thinking if I was the reporter I'd want to ask "You know Lovie, why is it that you always seem to have the lowest expectations among all of us with an interest in the Bears? Are you capable of identifyng mistakes and demanding those issues be addressed?" which of course would be ridiculously insulting while being posed in a patronizingly civil way...but he practically begs us to go there when he starts seeming so disconnected.

You think as a mental trick, when he gets tough media questions he just envisions that they're actually all in reference to his kid's high school team?

Maybe its a reaction to our modern culture. He thinks the media doesn't need any more help being negative, so unless he's particularly worked up about something, he just preaches staying the course.

Lovie believes in a united front with the media. That doesn't mean thats how he acts behind closed doors and ultimately its those actions that matter.

Given how widely respected Lovie is around the league, I think a lot of people here have gotten really ridiculous.

By all means, I support the notion of moving him and think some of whats happened this year warrants it, but at the same time, he does a lot of very good things as a head coach and that even temper is something that will allow him to have a long-term career as an NFL coach.

Do you think that Lovie's "aw shucks" attitude has anything to do with that? I know most people would prefer a coach who is less demanding in training camp, and doesn't get on them as much. It's easier to be friends with a person like that, a boss like that.

Um, to begin, when exactly did Lovie admit letting Rivera go was a mistake. Yea, he essentially admitted Babich was a mistake, but he never admitted letting Rivera walk was a mistake. IMHO, those are two different matters.

Moving on, you say he is "doing a lot" with "very little". Not sure about that. While I have no argument that we are not loaded on defense, I do question the idea we are "doing alot". In fact, I think that is a key area many take issue. The belief that Lovie is simply not getting the most out of our players.

Well, this is where we differ. Even back then, I felt Lovie was more along for the ride than in charge. How much our D fell off since Rivera left, IMHO, gives considerable evidence how much of that SB level D was Rivera. Lovie has minimal involvement on offense, so you want to credit him there? No, even back then I felt we were winning inspite of Lovie far more than due to him. I felt that if not for Lovie, our defense would have been FAR more threatening than it was.

But was it restored to order w/ Lovie or w/ Rivera? Since Rivera left, that defense has been pretty bad. Just not sure how much of that championship D was Lovie.

There are 3 glaring deficiencies in Lovie Smith. First, he does not do a good job in getting this team ready for big games. I'm not even sure he's smart enough to know what a big game is. Second, he does a horrible job of adjusting in-game. Making halftime adjustments won't do you any good if you spend the first half of the game puking all over yourself. Third, he is not a very good personnel guy. He can't evaluate talent, can't develop talent and he misuses the a lot of the talent he has.

Frankly, I would be surprised if very many people did not agree that he should be fired if we don't make the playoffs. I believe most people agree he should go unfortunately, the only reason people can come up with for him to stay is his contract amount. That's a pretty sad statement. think about it. the only reason he keeps his job is because he makes too much to fire? Yikes, that's just plain bad.

Do you think that Lovie's "aw shucks" attitude has anything to do with that? I know most people would prefer a coach who is less demanding in training camp, and doesn't get on them as much. It's easier to be friends with a person like that, a boss like that.

Listen, 99% of players in this league want to win. They want paychecks but they want to win and they know it takes hard work. So I don't think the awe shucks attitude is the reason why.

I wish I sucked so bad at my job and made so much money that I couldn't be fired! :P

There are 3 glaring deficiencies in Lovie Smith. First, he does not do a good job in getting this team ready for big games. I'm not even sure he's smart enough to know what a big game is. Second, he does a horrible job of adjusting in-game. Making halftime adjustments won't do you any good if you spend the first half of the game puking all over yourself. Third, he is not a very good personnel guy. He can't evaluate talent, can't develop talent and he misuses the a lot of the talent he has.

Frankly, I would be surprised if very many people did not agree that he should be fired if we don't make the playoffs. I believe most people agree he should go unfortunately, the only reason people can come up with for him to stay is his contract amount. That's a pretty sad statement. think about it. the only reason he keeps his job is because he makes too much to fire? Yikes, that's just plain bad.

Listen, 99% of players in this league want to win. They want paychecks but they want to win and they know it takes hard work. So I don't think the awe shucks attitude is the reason why.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. There is no way in hell that 99% of the players want to win more than they want to get paid. It's the same in the other major sports. That's why you always see the mega-rich allstars who have not won a championship take a late career, lesser deal (or ignore their team allegiance) on a different team in hopes of winning a championship. I'd say about 25% want to win more than they want the money, lifestyle, and fame.

The 99% may have been true decades ago, but not in today's world where even the scrubs make 3 million a year.

So what is easier for the modern, greedy athlete?

1) Make a ton of money and play for a less demanding coach who won't bust your balls

2) Make a ton of money and play for a more demanding coach who calls you out for not earning your millions

Seems like #1 is the obvious answer to me.