Lovie Satisifaction Poll

adam

Lovie Satisifaction Poll  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How satisified are you with Lovie's performance as a HC this season?

• Extremely Satisfied - A
    • Moderately Satisfied - B
    • Neither - C
    • Moderately Dissatisfied - D
    • Extremely Dissatisfied - F

Really? B or C? Wouldn't we have to be at least .500 to garnish that kind of grade?

I am pulled to either "B" or "C" since the question is about Lovie as a HC. If he can put aside his so called loyalties and replace some ineffective parts (Turner and Babich) then I think things will get back on track.

I posted Extremely Dissatisfied....the guy took over the DC job and he has sucked at it.

He's an arrogant loser. Makes himself D coordinator and is somehow even worse than Babich. Handpicked some of the worst draft picks over the last 5 years (Okwa, Bazuin were both Lovie favorites). He doesn't ever modify his gameplan. His gadget defense has been completely figured out. I would bet he couldn't even name a single offensive play they run. "I'm familiar with what we do," he's been heard to say. Horrible horrible horrible. I would like to hear someone say something good about him, that would be fascinating.

Ok MadLith... You forced my hand. I'll go C or D as that was what I meant in the first place. Thanks. I'll still stand by my original comments. Lovie Smith is the Head Coach of the Chicago Bears.

And Rockford: (speaking of sore losers). How's this for positive? He (Lovie) is the Head Coach for the team you and I both love. Not you not me and on top of that, he's making millions while he's doing it. I'll say it again; Lovie Smith is the Head Coach of the Chicago Bears.

Go Huskers!!!!!

He's an arrogant loser. Makes himself D coordinator and is somehow even worse than Babich. Handpicked some of the worst draft picks over the last 5 years (Okwa, Bazuin were both Lovie favorites). He doesn't ever modify his gameplan. His gadget defense has been completely figured out. I would bet he couldn't even name a single offensive play they run. "I'm familiar with what we do," he's been heard to say. Horrible horrible horrible. I would like to hear someone say something good about him, that would be fascinating.

Let me preface my comments by saying I want Lovie replaced at the end of the year. I feel he has lost this team and it is time to move on. That being said, he has won 2 playoffs games and went to the Superbowl which is more than you can for the vast majority of the coaches that come and go in the NFL. The vast majority of coaches in the NFL end up failing and either being demoted (Jim Mora Jr., Mike Nolan, Gregg Williams, Dick Jauron, Dick Lebeau, etc) or go back to college (Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, etc).

Peace :dabears

I am pulled to either "B" or "C" since the question is about Lovie as a HC. If he can put aside his so called loyalties and replace some ineffective parts (Turner and Babich) then I think things will get back on track.

You can't ignore his flaws because they are a part of his coaching abilities as HC it's his staff. Only if he's made to or pressured to will he cut ties with the guys he's loyal to.

Why is it that we seem to get the coaches who have a problem with blind loyalty. DJ had shooper pooper, Lovie has Turner and Babich.

I voted F.... but in all honesty he doesn't even deserve an F.

I still think you're far too generous!

Ok MadLith... You forced my hand. I'll go C or D as that was what I meant in the first place. Thanks. I'll still stand by my original comments. Lovie Smith is the Head Coach of the Chicago Bears.

And Rockford: (speaking of sore losers). How's this for positive? He (Lovie) is the Head Coach for the team you and I both love. Not you not me and on top of that, he's making millions while he's doing it. I'll say it again; Lovie Smith is the Head Coach of the Chicago Bears.

Go Huskers!!!!!

When Smith was first brought in I thought he deserved an opportunity to be a head coach. The Super Bowl season was nice however, left things a bit short of what we demand from our teams. Since then both Smith and Angelo have continued to fail this team and City. Angelo with his inability to properly evaluate talent to put on the field and Smith for his lack of ability to keep his team focus and motivated for the game. Plus the fact that Smith has readily admitted that there have been a couple of games in which the team was not properly prepared by the coaches. It starts at the top of the hill and quickly rolls down hill. This article by Dan McNeil of the Trib sums things up on how I agree that this team should move forward from here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,6671947.column

When Smith was first brought in I thought he deserved an opportunity to be a head coach. The Super Bowl season was nice however, left things a bit short of what we demand from our teams. Since then both Smith and Angelo have continued to fail this team and City. Angelo with his inability to properly evaluate talent to put on the field and Smith for his lack of ability to keep his team focus and motivated for the game. Plus the fact that Smith has readily admitted that there have been a couple of games in which the team was not properly prepared by the coaches. It starts at the top of the hill and quickly rolls down hill. This article by Dan McNeil of the Trib sums things up on how I agree that this team should move forward from here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,6671947.column

I like the article. Very well thought out. And me being a "traditionalist", the idea of bringing in someone like Fisher is very appealing. Although I would personally choose Weis over Heimerdinger at OC. Nevertheless something tells me unless Virginia makes a hard sell, none of this is but a pipe dream.

And for all those Lovie haters out there; how about Mike Tomlin as the new HC? 1 year removed from a SB (and a win no less) and he has the Steelers at 6-6 (after a loss to the lowly Raiders and two losses to the division leading "Who Deys"). Hmmmm...

I think it's a little early to be calling out Tomlin... They've had a very disappointing season so far no doubt. But they can still make a wild card. And, they did contend with the Madden curse!

I like the article. Very well thought out. And me being a "traditionalist", the idea of bringing in someone like Fisher is very appealing. Although I would personally choose Weis over Heimerdinger at OC. Nevertheless something tells me unless Virginia makes a hard sell, none of this is but a pipe dream.

And for all those Lovie haters out there; how about Mike Tomlin as the new HC? 1 year removed from a SB (and a win no less) and he has the Steelers at 6-6 (after a loss to the lowly Raiders and two losses to the division leading "Who Deys"). Hmmmm...

I think it's a little early to be calling out Tomlin... They've had a very disappointing season so far no doubt. But they can still make a wild card. And, they did contend with the Madden curse!

I think it's a little early to be calling out Tomlin. Maybe, but a downward trend no doubt.

But they can still make a wild card.. So can the Bears, in pure numbers alone and some of the "if" factor. "It ain't over till it's over.".

And, they did contend with the Madden curse!. Uhm...didn't Arizona's Fitzgerald share that cover??

Overall reply, I'm just sayin'.

I should have had you as a teacher in school. You grade far too easy, and you can be manipulated into modifying the grade. :dabears

That's not a real downward trend yet. In statistics, usually, there requires a trend of more than 1 to call things a "trend". Otherwise, it could attributable to happenstance. If Tomlin doesn't make the playoffs, and does so again the following season, that's a trend. If he tanks this, then does well the next, there is no trend.

Fair enough... But Smith is on a serious trend, and Tomlin is not. One season does not make a trend. 3 following a loss in the SB does.

Fitz did. Warner was out, and they lost a game or 2 if I recall correctly. Does half a curse still make it a curse? I think so... Bottom line, I wouldn't want to be on the cover if I were in the NFL...

Bottom line for me, the verdict is still not out for Tomlin, and he has the one huge advantage of bringing yet another trophy to PIT. No one can ever take that away from him.

I think it's a little early to be calling out Tomlin. Maybe, but a downward trend no doubt.

But they can still make a wild card.. So can the Bears, in pure numbers alone and some of the "if" factor. "It ain't over till it's over.".

And, they did contend with the Madden curse!. Uhm...didn't Arizona's Fitzgerald share that cover??

Overall reply, I'm just sayin'.

MadLith: you make for compelling counterpoints without insult. For that, thank you. And from what I sense you read through my post about Tomlin as a bit cynical on my part. For that I thank you again. Funny thing though, I have a good friend (make that 2) that love the Steelers and when Tomlin was picked to succeed Cowher their first reply was "who" then I heard how much he sucked as a pick. Of course after last year their tunes changed. Now I would be willing to bet that they have again started to cross that line back to the negative. Pittsburgh fans are much like Bears fans; fiercely loyal, football savvy and not fickle. But...very impatient for anything less than winning. So what happens IF Smith gets the team to win out the rest of the season? The Bears are then 9-7 and above .500. Does he then deserve a reprieve?

A few days ago I cited an article from the Trib where the writer noted how there is a very infrequent occurence of a Super Bowl winning coach repeating with a second team. (Funny: don't think they mentioned Ditka's inability in NO). Anyhow it didn't fare well for the likes of Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden (names I have seen mentioned here several times). In my 21 years in the military I liked to apply the "bird in the hand vs in the bush" theory. Every few years a new CO would come and go through normal rotations etc. Some good some not so. Just as you got used to one it would seem another would come along and change everything. Most times I would chafe at the idea of change then sometimes it was good. Anyhow in relation to this and going with the idea that I don't think the Bears are anywhere near having to rebuild, especially after adding a player like Cutler. I still strongly think that some philosophies need to change. Lovie believes that Chicago is a run first team (which they are, can't convince me otherwise) and surprisingly enough, Cutler does too. Not so sure Turner does or is capable of balancing Cutler into the Bears "traditional" formula. Lovie's strong suit is in Defense and there too needs to be some change but in all fairness he has lost not the team but instead key players at key positions due to injury. Angelo hasn't helped much there for sure. Babich??? Forget it, he is nothing more than wasting O2 on the sideline. So in closing I have a hard time accepting a wholesale change for many reasons. I say first let's see how the rest of this year plays out then go from there.

With regards to the "Madden Curse" I agree with in that I would too have to decline the opportunity to grace the cover if I were ever in that situation.

I love a good argument! Props to you for bringing up a good point of discussion and keeping it lievely! I too have a slew of PIT freinds who thought similarly to your example. Last week, they were ready to put Tomlin in front of a firing squad! But now, they are willing to let it play out! I think most fans can be a bit fickle on game day! but tend to let common sense, etc flow in a day after or so! I think is Smith runs the table and wins out to get us to 9-7...he would deserve to stay. I personally want him gone, but the record would speak for itself. It could be argued then that it took a while for things to gel, etc. Regardless what I personally feel, Smith would definitley get a reprieve is we went 9-7.

Thanks for adding the personal reference to your time in the military...it, I think was a good analogy. Change for change sake isn't necessarily good. But a change to something better is always good. The problem is there is not sure fire way to make sure that will be the case. I certianly hope we don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. However, I think certain things should be part of the equation when looking for the next regime, assuming Smith does not run the table, etc...

Here's my general plan for life w/o Smith...and some may be possible even with the regime still in place.

1. We need a better GM. As good as JA's done with some, he's failed miserably on O. We need a GM with some track record of success on both O and D.

2. We need an offensive minded HC. Hire a good DC and OC, but have the HC be in the mindset of offense. Whether it be QB or OL. Grimm comes to mind as a guy that could be a possibility given the Bears' history of not bringing in tried and true head coaching talent.

3. We need tougher training camps. One where tackling is accentuated moreso than turnover. If you live and die by the turnover, eventually you will die. At sometime, you will not get them (as we didn't with Indy in the SB.) If you tackle well, only good things can happen...and turnovers may ensue. But if you rely on the turnover, you are masking other failings.

4. We need to improve the OL in FA and the draft. Our biggest signing should be OL all else being equal. Out 3rd round pick should be OL. Then we start shooting for the secondary, WR, and DL...

5. Give respect to the fans. We've been talked down to and have been taken fro granted for years now. We deserve better. Give us some straight talk. We know we won't get the full truth, but throw us a bone.

That's my rant for the day!

MadLith: you make for compelling counterpoints without insult. For that, thank you. And from what I sense you read through my post about Tomlin as a bit cynical on my part. For that I thank you again. Funny thing though, I have a good friend (make that 2) that love the Steelers and when Tomlin was picked to succeed Cowher their first reply was "who" then I heard how much he sucked as a pick. Of course after last year their tunes changed. Now I would be willing to bet that they have again started to cross that line back to the negative. Pittsburgh fans are much like Bears fans; fiercely loyal, football savvy and not fickle. But...very impatient for anything less than winning. So what happens IF Smith gets the team to win out the rest of the season? The Bears are then 9-7 and above .500. Does he then deserve a reprieve?

A few days ago I cited an article from the Trib where the writer noted how there is a very infrequent occurence of a Super Bowl winning coach repeating with a second team. (Funny: don't think they mentioned Ditka's inability in NO). Anyhow it didn't fare well for the likes of Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden (names I have seen mentioned here several times). In my 21 years in the military I liked to apply the "bird in the hand vs in the bush" theory. Every few years a new CO would come and go through normal rotations etc. Some good some not so. Just as you got used to one it would seem another would come along and change everything. Most times I would chafe at the idea of change then sometimes it was good. Anyhow in relation to this and going with the idea that I don't think the Bears are anywhere near having to rebuild, especially after adding a player like Cutler. I still strongly think that some philosophies need to change. Lovie believes that Chicago is a run first team (which they are, can't convince me otherwise) and surprisingly enough, Cutler does too. Not so sure Turner does or is capable of balancing Cutler into the Bears "traditional" formula. Lovie's strong suit is in Defense and there too needs to be some change but in all fairness he has lost not the team but instead key players at key positions due to injury. Angelo hasn't helped much there for sure. Babich??? Forget it, he is nothing more than wasting O2 on the sideline. So in closing I have a hard time accepting a wholesale change for many reasons. I say first let's see how the rest of this year plays out then go from there.

With regards to the "Madden Curse" I agree with in that I would too have to decline the opportunity to grace the cover if I were ever in that situation.