random quick observations

BearFan2000

Ok off the top of my head these are some things the stuck in my mind.

1. I thought in general Jay had another good game. he had a few bad throws and another boneheaded pick but all in all better overall decision making.

2. I thought the protection was decent for the most part

3. Web is killing us with penalties whether it's holding or some kind of illegal hands to the face. Penalties are still an issue with the line. and this needs to be cleaned up.

4. we won 16-0 but I got tired of watching us settle for FG. We dominated time of possession but found the end zone once, that's not going to cut it. We were playing a mash unit and while the game never really seemed in doubt a good team beats that Dolphins team big time. with a score of more like 30+ to 0. Not trying to find the black cloud in the silver lining but face it we beat a crippled team today and only scored 16 points doing it. I do realize that Miami's strength is it's defense.

5. 700th franchise win is a great milestone for one of the found franchises.

6. In the other thread Urlacher needed 4 tackles to overtake Singletary for the most tackles by a Bear well according to the stats he registered just that. 4 tackles. so Congrats to Brian!

7. all in all we are 7-3 and at this point I'll take it. We have a tough road ahead and will be a better test as to whether the 7-3 record is hollow or if they can back it up. the next 6 games will prove or disprove whether they belong in the playoffs or deserve to stay home.

Ok off the top of my head these are some things the stuck in my mind.

1. I thought in general Jay had another good game. he had a few bad throws and another boneheaded pick but all in all better overall decision making.

2. I thought the protection was decent for the most part

3. Web is killing us with penalties whether it's holding or some kind of illegal hands to the face. Penalties are still an issue with the line. and this needs to be cleaned up.

4. we won 16-0 but I got tired of watching us settle for FG. We dominated time of possession but found the end zone once, that's not going to cut it. We were playing a mash unit and while the game never really seemed in doubt a good team beats that Dolphins team big time. with a score of more like 30+ to 0. Not trying to find the black cloud in the silver lining but face it we beat a crippled team today and only scored 16 points doing it. I do realize that Miami's strength is it's defense.

5. 700th franchise win is a great milestone for one of the found franchises.

6. In the other thread Urlacher needed 4 tackles to overtake Singletary for the most tackles by a Bear well according to the stats he registered just that. 4 tackles. so Congrats to Brian!

7. all in all we are 7-3 and at this point I'll take it. We have a tough road ahead and will be a better test as to whether the 7-3 record is hollow or if they can back it up. the next 6 games will prove or disprove whether they belong in the playoffs or deserve to stay home.

I pretty much agree with this entire post. The Bears won, and were never in danger, but it was never dominating.

The thing that kills me is that this team can do so much more, but they haven't. All in all, however, this was the most complete game of the season.

This was the first game all year where our defensive line dominated the entire game. We had 6 sacks tonight, 3 of them by Peppers. Henry Melton is playing like a beast lately, picked up another sack tonight after a good game last week. Idonije is putting up alot of sacks this year because Peppers is drawing most of the attention but that's what he's suppose to do. I'm actually really impressed with the way the defense has played all year. Though I can't truely believe in this team as a legit Superbowl contender until I see us play next week and against the Jets and Patriots. Other than the Lions game and I guess now the next Vikings game the Bears are going to be playing the Elite teams in the NFC and AFC the rest of the way.

Though I can't truely believe in this team as a legit Superbowl contender until I see us play next week and against the Jets and Patriots. Other than the Lions game and I guess now the next Vikings game the Bears are going to be playing the Elite teams in the NFC and AFC the rest of the way.

The remainder of the schedule and how we perform will determine if we are legitimate contenders. We have won all our division games and have 3 division games left...on the road. This is make or break for us. I think we are ready to take the next step!!!

One thing I haven't seen any of us mention (I may have missed) and has been a thorn in our ass all year is our 3rd down conversions. We were 10-18 yesterday and 11-19 against the Queens. We were absolutely horrific the first half of the season and it seems we have turned it around. Cutler getting time is definitely a big thing and I feel the need to give kudos to the O-line for the last 2 games. Martz has actually been calling a good game. Maybe he wants to stick around next year or realizes this might be his last hurrah as a coach in the NFL and feels he has to prove he is more than a one dimesional coach. He ran the ball 40 times last night!!!

I read the original post and wanted to counter one point with a "food for thought" moment. That regarding Webb's "killing" the Bears with his penalties. A friend of mine (who is a Pats fan) that I was watching the game with pointed out that Webb's holding is better than letting the guy, in this case a pretty good player in Wake, have a straight shot at Cutler. In which the options become a turnover (fumble) and/or a sack which could take out Cutler through injury or like in the case of the Giants game mess up his psyche (that is until he was concussed). So yeah, Webb's penalties suck but given the alternative AND that he is a seventh round Rookie, I'll take it.... For now.

I expect that like the rest of the line, Tice will fix what ills Webb. Which at this point appears to be his footwork. I feel things will solidify and the penalties will start to drop. After all they (Bears) have over a week until their next game. Making minor, yes minor, tweaks at this point is where teams wish to be at this point of the year.

The one thing I'd like to see also fixed is the running game. Something seems to be missing. I feel at times watching Forte is like watching Benson before he left. Run to the line and fall after 1-2 yards. They need more sweeps. The fact that Martz is doing more running is very encouraging. Let the tweaking continue. Keep up the improvements Bears.

The one thing I'd like to see also fixed is the running game. Something seems to be missing. I feel at times watching Forte is like watching Benson before he left. Run to the line and fall after 1-2 yards. They need more sweeps. The fact that Martz is doing more running is very encouraging. Let the tweaking continue. Keep up the improvements Bears.

I do agree with your assessment of Forte, but would you really trust this line to pull? I wouldn't trust this line yet. Webb, Williams, Kruetz, Garza, Ominayale can't get their footwork right as it is. I agree we need to get our running game going still, but with this line, I am skeptical.

I agree overall it was a pretty good game with some things that still need to be worked on with our offense. I agree that with Tice working with Webb that things will get better however, as it was already mentioned having to settle for field goals versus touchdowns is not a good thing. Jay seemed to play better for the most part and again as previously mentioned needs to work better on his decisions and not throwing balls just because it looks like he will thread the needle with a small opening. To many picks are going to hurt us as the season goes on. The defense appears to be getting better and better every game and the front four are really starting to make a difference which is good. We'll see how things come together in nine days against a red hot Philly team. If we win that game for our 4th consecutive victory then I'll say it, we'll have JA and Lovie around for a few more years which at the beginning of the season would make my blood curdle. Plus the founding franchise's 700th victory: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Webb has shown some promise. He was a 7th round pick. Give Tice some time with him and you will see improvement.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. Just is frustrating to have solid drives screwed up for a penalty.

But, end result is we´re 7-3. The D is, beyond a doubt, a force to be feared. The O is not getting worse, so that is better. I´m still waiting for the O to light it up, which may be never. Hey, just keep winning.

I do agree with your assessment of Forte, but would you really trust this line to pull? I wouldn't trust this line yet. Webb, Williams, Kruetz, Garza, Ominayale can't get their footwork right as it is. I agree we need to get our running game going still, but with this line, I am skeptical.

Furthering the thought about Forte and his two yard drop technique. One, I feel he is strong enough to do what Jones was good at and once he meets resistance at the line, bounce off and go around. He is fast enough that he could outrun the first wave of defenders and maybe get 5-7 more yards before the LBs zero in.

Secondly, as far as pulling goes I would think either Garza or Kreutz would be able to help in outside running. Probably more Garza but still one extra body out on the edge to give Matt that extra time would be worth it. If not them then how about Mamumaluena (huge) or Kellen Davis? I think more screens and end arounds would soften up the middle more getting Forte (or Taylor) more yards.

But ultimately this is probably why I am sitting here blogging my ideas instead of coaching or playing as my "talent/ability" (of what little I had) ended in High School many, many years ago.

Furthering the thought about Forte and his two yard drop technique. One, I feel he is strong enough to do what Jones was good at and once he meets resistance at the line, bounce off and go around. He is fast enough that he could outrun the first wave of defenders and maybe get 5-7 more yards before the LBs zero in.

Secondly, as far as pulling goes I would think either Garza or Kreutz would be able to help in outside running. Probably more Garza but still one extra body out on the edge to give Matt that extra time would be worth it. If not them then how about Mamumaluena (huge) or Kellen Davis? I think more screens and end arounds would soften up the middle more getting Forte (or Taylor) more yards.

But ultimately this is probably why I am sitting here blogging my ideas instead of coaching or playing as my "talent/ability" (of what little I had) ended in High School many, many years ago.

That is what we brought Manumaleuna in for. He was brought in for his run blocking ability. We are all "arm-chair gm's, coaches, and qb's. That's what makes these discussions fun. Then when the real coaches make a decision that coincides with our "all knowing babble", we seem genius (hope i spelled that right, cause i'd look like a bigger ass if i spelled that word wrong). But as you said, if we could get our asses of the couch and had a drip of talent, we'd be working for Mike McCaskey...lol...then we'd be bitching about our boss.

I pretty much agree with this entire post. The Bears won, and were never in danger, but it was never dominating.

The thing that kills me is that this team can do so much more, but they haven't. All in all, however, this was the most complete game of the season.

I'd call the game the very definition of dominating. Lots of first downs, killed in time of possession, and they couldn't do anything offensively.

How do people think yesterday was the most complete game of the year, and not Sunday vs Minnesota? Settling for 3 FG's and a 64 rating out of the QB is not very complete.

Well because the defense shut them out and shut outs don't happen very often in the NFL. The offense, though they didn't score a whole lot, dominated the TOP and kept the Dolphins on their heels all game. Cutler didn't play his best game but completed 3rd downs time and time again which allowed the drives to continued. It wasn't a perfect game but I'd call it a complete game.

Well said...

Well because the defense shut them out and shut outs don't happen very often in the NFL. The offense, though they didn't score a whole lot, dominated the TOP and kept the Dolphins on their heels all game. Cutler didn't play his best game but completed 3rd downs time and time again which allowed the drives to continued. It wasn't a perfect game but I'd call it a complete game.

Agreed

Going into the game against the Dolphins what was the assessment of their team? Lots of people in the national media and Vegas thought the 'Fins would win the game as they were a 1 and 1/2 point favorites going into the game. The skeptics are even more charged up now after the game as they point to Miami playing with their 3rd string QB and incurring more injuries during the game and ending up with a patchwork O-line. Well the Bears defense made that line look exactly like patchwork limiting them to 187 total yards. So the Bears get a win on a short work week with basically one practice and on the road and we can't enjoy it because of are Chicago fan insecurity. Forgive me if I wish to look on the bright side when I see a team that destroyed us beat by a team that we dominated. The only team in the NFC that I think is clearly better than the Bears is the Falcons. The rest of the teams including the Packers( One of our wins) can be beat. I have endured some real bad Bears football through my years of watching since '66 and believe me it is a pleasure to actually be able to watch the team in contention for a playoff spot warts and all after game 10.

So the Bears get a win on a short work week with basically one practice and on the road and we can't enjoy it because of are Chicago fan insecurity.

Chicago fan insecurity is the best way I have heard it. We watch our teams through Murphy's Law glasses. Though the shit the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and in my case White Sox have put me through in my life time make you go crazy. I'm not even going to get into the Cubs' fans, mostly because I enjoy their anguish...lol. We don't think positive until we've won the game or hoisting the trophy. We panic until the horn or whistle blows and basically wait to see the bad happen. Then when the bad happens, we get mad even though we sit there and expect it!!! It drives me crazy, but I'll be the first on to support them, the first one to wonder where the hell our coverage is, and the first to yell at the TV. Being a Chicago fan is painful, but no pain, no gain.

AMEN!!

Chile you now I thought about you and a few others on this board who didn't have so much scrutiny about each game as there is now. If we had a place to vent about how bad the Bears were back in the 60's and 70's the complaints on this site would seem like fluff. These posters hate Lovie but how would they feel about Abe Gibron and Gary Huff at QB.

But do they really NEED to beat the Jets, Patriots, Eagles, and in Minnesota on MNF to be legit contenders? Maybe in our minds and in the minds of the clueless ESPN analysts, but even if they barely beat a bad Minnesota team, kill Detroit, and barely beat 1 of the 3 "great" teams (NY, NE, PHI) and lose the other 2 games by 2 TD's, this team and coaching staff will never lose confidence in themselves.

What is a legit Super Bowl contender? Because IIRC the Giants were 8-8, give or take 1 game, and won the Super Bowl. Just because the dopes on ESPN, Sporting News, CBS, etc don't believe in the Bears and the fans of other teams don't believe in the Bears, it means NOTHING to the actual Bears. The Bears were LEGIT contenders in 2006 right? That got them all the way to Miami and they were knocked off. So what did annointing them legit contenders mean? People may hate Lovie. Say what you want because I agree he probably isn't head coach material. However Lovie's brainwashing has finally paid off to where the players always believe in themseleves and their teammates.

Atlanta has been good but if they're the best NFC team heading into January, I won't just hand them the NFC title. They can easily be knocked off; they're not a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination.

But do they really NEED to beat the Jets, Patriots, Eagles, and in Minnesota on MNF to be legit contenders? Maybe in our minds and in the minds of the clueless ESPN analysts, but even if they barely beat a bad Minnesota team, kill Detroit, and barely beat 1 of the 3 "great" teams (NY, NE, PHI) and lose the other 2 games by 2 TD's, this team and coaching staff will never lose confidence in themselves.

What is a legit Super Bowl contender? Because IIRC the Giants were 8-8, give or take 1 game, and won the Super Bowl. Just because the dopes on ESPN, Sporting News, CBS, etc don't believe in the Bears and the fans of other teams don't believe in the Bears, it means NOTHING to the actual Bears. The Bears were LEGIT contenders in 2006 right? That got them all the way to Miami and they were knocked off. So what did annointing them legit contenders mean? People may hate Lovie. Say what you want because I agree he probably isn't head coach material. However Lovie's brainwashing has finally paid off to where the players always believe in themseleves and their teammates.

Atlanta has been good but if they're the best NFC team heading into January, I won't just hand them the NFC title. They can easily be knocked off; they're not a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination.

I was watching those morons this morning and I was thinking the same thing. No matter who we beat or how we beat, they will say we are weak. We could dominate the next 5 games and squeek out the last and they would dog us out. ESPN hold the flavor of the week's dick every week. They have been drooling over Vick all week, if he has a bad game, they'll be mentioning Kolb's name. Whatever gets them ratings.

Chile you now I thought about you and a few others on this board who didn't have so much scrutiny about each game as there is now. If we had a place to vent about how bad the Bears were back in the 60's and 70's the complaints on this site would seem like fluff. These posters hate Lovie but how would they feel about Abe Gibron and Gary Huff at QB.

Oh God, what a thought! Man, we went through some lean times. And all the while I had to listen to Pucker or Queen fans around me lauding it up. At least the Lions were always worse!

Hey, 7-3 is bliss compared to many of those years.