Mock Drafts

sulster

I've been checking out some mock drafts. I saw a couple where they had us taking OT from Boston College. At beginning of the season, I would of been all for it. The Bears really need interior help now. Olin has been a great Bear, but he costs us too many 1st downs with stupid penalties. I wouldn't draft an interior lineman in 1st round either.

Give Webb a full off season and he will not be weak link on the passing downs. Frank may not be the sexy name the fans want, but he has done a he'll of a job. Don't see the need to draft an OT that high. If anything, we need not notch cb to replace Peanut in a couple yrs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been checking out some mock drafts. I saw a couple where they had us taking OT from Boston College. At beginning of the season, I would of been all for it. The Bears really need interior help now. Olin has been a great Bear, but he costs us too many 1st downs with stupid penalties. I wouldn't draft an interior lineman in 1st round either.

Give Webb a full off season and he will not be weak link on the passing downs. Frank may not be the sexy name the fans want, but he has done a he'll of a job. Don't see the need to draft an OT that high. If anything, we need not notch cb to replace Peanut in a couple yrs.

GreatBlueNorth

Chicago Gabe Carimi OT

Wisconsin

GreatBlueNorth

Chicago Gabe Carimi OT

Wisconsin

THIS.

I unequivocally disagree with the ridiculous notion that the Bears don't need OL help first AND second.

Not only has Jay Cutler been the most sacked QB in the NFL, but the Bears are above and beyond all other teams when it comes to the number of negative plays (i.e. sacks, runs for loss, passes for loss).

There are a handful of good to great OLinemen available in the first round of next year's draft. If Angelo steps over them for another position, not only should he lose his job, but Cutler should file attempted manslaughter charges against him.

THIS.

I unequivocally disagree with the ridiculous notion that the Bears don't need OL help first AND second.

Not only has Jay Cutler been the most sacked QB in the NFL, but the Bears are above and beyond all other teams when it comes to the number of negative plays (i.e. sacks, runs for loss, passes for loss).

There are a handful of good to great OLinemen available in the first round of next year's draft. If Angelo steps over them for another position, not only should he lose his job, but Cutler should file attempted manslaughter charges against him.

I would say we need to draft 2 o-linemen in the first 3 rounds. We cannot continue to ignore this position in the draft.

Peace :dabears

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

THIS.

not sure where i said we dont need linemen. I said we dont need to draft an Ot in the 1st round. I actually said we need interior linemen, but not in the 1st round

Webb is still a weak link on passing downs, and probably will be next year as well.

Frank Omiyale has NOT done a hell of a job this year. If you actually believe that, you didn't watch many games...or many plays for that matter.

And even if the Bears DID need OG and C help above OT, they most certainly don't need CB help above OT. The Bears have better CBs on the roster than OTs. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous.

Webb is still a weak link on passing downs, and probably will be next year as well.

Frank Omiyale has NOT done a hell of a job this year. If you actually believe that, you didn't watch many games...or many plays for that matter.

And even if the Bears DID need OG and C help above OT, they most certainly don't need CB help above OT. The Bears have better CBs on the roster than OTs. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous.

I will go farther and say that their CB's might just be better OT's than their OT's...

Sorry if you dont see the improvement from the oline from begining of the season, then you are blind. Frank did not start the season at tackle and has done a hell of job filling in. Take of the haterade glasses and realize this line has come a long ways. Beginning of the season, yes the Bears needed the draft help ASAP. Now it isnt a priority to draft a OT in the 1st round.

Sorry if you dont see the improvement from the oline from begining of the season, then you are blind. Frank did not start the season at tackle and has done a hell of job filling in. Take of the haterade glasses and realize this line has come a long ways. Beginning of the season, yes the Bears needed the draft help ASAP. Now it isnt a priority to draft a OT in the 1st round.

Ok, since you didn't seem to take that line as the joke I meant it to be let's try reasoned argument for a second.

1) What is the SINGLE most glaring weakness on this team? What is the the big neon sign pointing straight at Achilles' heel for this team? If you don't think that this is the Oline then I don't know what to say other than are you serious? Blind perhaps? Or just not really understanding of what it takes to win football games at any level?

2) We gave up 31 sacks in the first 8 games and 25 in their last 8 games...not exactly a HUGE improvement as you stated.

3) Webb and Omiyale are the worst tackle tandem in the league. And it isn't close...at all...

4) Culter was sacked a league high 56 times...56...my Lord how is he still alive??

5) Improve the smell of a steaming pile of dog crap with Febreeze and it still doesn't make it something I want in the living room.

6) Did you watch the games this year?

7) I am running out of arguments besides the obvious...56 sacks...31 in the first 8 and 25 in the last 8...

8) I don't see enough improvement that makes me want to abandon the plan to draft 7 Olinemen in the draft and go after 2 or 3 free agents to boot.

I actually DID read the whole post...I especially liked the part where you said OT was not a round 1 must...and the part where you mentioned CB being a higher priority...You did mention interior OL and replacing Kruetz...but to say that we don't need a stud OT if one is to be had is just mind boggling. We gave up 56 sacks...OL is as high of a priority as it gets and OT is a hugenormous need.

Like I said I did read the whole thread...though after you said OT is not a round 1 need I probably just should have stopped and realized you were joking. No other explanation for something so outrageously false that even my 5 year old daughter knows better. Good one man, you had me for a second! :notworthy

And if you don't think we need major help on the DL, plus considering we have a FO who loves improving the DL, here's a stat: the Bears finished 17th in the NFL with 34 sacks, one less than last season. Even with Peppers and the almighty Idonije, you can bet your asses the Bears address the DL in the first 2 rounds, and if it happened in the 1st round, I wouldn't be angry nor surprised.

Quite frankly, I don't want them taking some bozo from Boston College in round 1 who would typically go in round 3 JUST BECAUSE IT'S A BIG NEED. If it's a huge need, drafting guys and hoping they're Joe Thomas, Jake Long, and the next Jonathan Ogden FOR NEXT SEASON is ridiculous. In this case, go out and sign 1 or 2 vets.

Difference is- Omiyale is 28 and Webb is 22 or 23. The FO isn't going to give up on these right away, period.

Jennings is 27, Tillman is 30, and Bowman is a ST player. Jennings is what he is- he SHOULD be a ST too, and it's obvious Tillman isn't going to get better.

I still think we go after a DT in Rd 1 then address the interior of the Oline then CB. I'd like to get Haynesworth if the price is reasonable. You have a team with a short window on defense might as well go for broke. Use the draft to improve depth on the Oline, CB, and to add a big WR.

If the Bears go defense in the first round, they better draft 3 or 4 more QB's. They will need them if this line returns.

Once again, have you heard of free agency? What, is Angelo supposed to go out and find an OG and OT in April who will be 1 and 2 in ROY voting come January 2012? This team is in win-now-mode. Draft an OG or OT in round 2, and an OT or OG in round 3 or 4, and sign a few good or great FA OL.

Sure, the O is young, but the better players on the D (Tillman, Peppers, Briggs, Urlacher) are all aging.

Once again, have you heard of free agency? What, is Angelo supposed to go out and find an OG and OT in April who will be 1 and 2 in ROY voting come January 2012? This team is in win-now-mode. Draft an OG or OT in round 2, and an OT or OG in round 3 or 4, and sign a few good or great FA OL.

Sure, the O is young, but the better players on the D (Tillman, Peppers, Briggs, Urlacher) are all aging.

Yea, I've heard of free agency. That's why this line is in the shape it is now. There are few good OL available, the really good or rare young ones are expensive. In the past the Bears have gotten a few years out of some of the guys, but in general it has proven to be the demise of this line.

OLinemen tend to make the transition to starter easier than most positions in the NFL. You don't need a ROY. Just someone that isn't as bad as what is there.

If the Bears are in "Win Now Mode" as you say, then they better fix the line and fix it fast. The defense were 4th best in points, where as the offense was like 21st. I fail to see the logic in how a rookie DT or CB will make as much as an impact as Olinemen.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. If the Bears can draft an OT in round 3 or 4 (to battle it out at LT with Omiyale) and sign a guy like L.Mankins to start at G, the OL is signifcantly upgraded already. They don't need to spend 3 of their first 4 picks on OL or whatever this crazy idea is by any stretch. What will they do with all of that? Draft a C when they NEED one (like I said, they'll never cut Kreutz or let him walk) so that'll be in 1 or 2 years, and if they sign Mankins, they wouldn't need an OG (FO will use the "when Garza came back, things turned around" line) in the first few rounds but in the later rounds for depth and development (keep in mind they still like what they see in Louis).

It's hard to argue the Bears SHOULDN'T go OT in RD 1, but we should reserve judgment until we get closer to the draft and see what could potentially be available when we pick. I want the FO to take a player they actually like rather than just taking a OT just because.

I do agree the Bears need to address in adding more bodies and options to the OL. The fact that Webb came in from the practice squad to hold down the starting RT spot speaks volumes at what little depth the Bears actually have up front. We're fortunate we've been as healthy as we've been in that regard.

I will speak up for Webb and point out how far he has come at RT. I watched W17 with multiple Packer fans who were all impressed with how Webb handled himself against Matthews and quickly pointed out how bad their 1st Rounder Bulaga looked compared to Webb.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. If the Bears can draft an OT in round 3 or 4 (to battle it out at LT with Omiyale) and sign a guy like L.Mankins to start at G, the OL is signifcantly upgraded already. They don't need to spend 3 of their first 4 picks on OL or whatever this crazy idea is by any stretch. What will they do with all of that? Draft a C when they NEED one (like I said, they'll never cut Kreutz or let him walk) so that'll be in 1 or 2 years, and if they sign Mankins, they wouldn't need an OG (FO will use the "when Garza came back, things turned around" line) in the first few rounds but in the later rounds for depth and development (keep in mind they still like what they see in Louis).

Don't forget the CBA negotiations. If there's no CBA reached before the draft, then the draft will happen before the free agency period begins, and teams won't really know what compromises may be struck regarding the 2011 FA class. In that case, the Bears would have to draft as though the 2011 FA period didn't happen, because it's entirely possible that it won't.

One plausible scenario, for example, could be a CBA being struck around Sept. 1 once games start being threatened, with loss of 1-2 weeks of games, and a very abbreviated FA period where players are given huge penalties if they sign with anyone other than the team that controlled them the previous year.

Dude, improving from potentially the worst OL in NFL history to possibly mediocre is not enough reason to think that the OL is still not priority #1. Even people who AREN'T fans of the Bears know this.

It is STILL a priority to draft OT in the 1st round. The Bears OL has yet to put together a dominating performance. The pass protection has gotten slightly better, but there are still flaws...and one very good game against the Seahawks doesn't change that. Meanwhile, the run blocking has been pretty horrible most of the year.

Fact #1: Most sacks given up in the NFL.

Fact #2: Most negative offensive plays in the NFL.

Conclusion: OT and OG still priority #1a and 1b.

Improving from the Shittiest to really shitty is nothing to stop the FO from going after a free agent and 2 OL draft picks in the 1st three rounds. Cant you see what Cutler does when he has time? Hell cant you see when any decent QB has time to throw what happens. Look at the great Payton Manning, there was a 4 game stretch were he threw 12 or 13 INTs, what was happening?? The Oline couldnt block for shit.

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline