Lovie

BearsFan1974

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ok with that. Lovie is a good solid football coach and I think he's capable of bringing a superbowl to Chicago!

I agree as long as the staff stays intact. I still think Martz can do more once the line peaks. I think we will find ourself with a #1 WR. Rice is available and so is Vincent Jackson.

Alaska will hate this... ;)

But, we should wait. I don't see a need to get it done now. Can it wait until at least the CBA goes into lockout mode or not? That's the easy thing to tell Smith. He's under contract for another year. The bears have been loyal to him and vice versa. Given the odd circumstances of the current upcoming year, waiting it out a bit shouldn't be an issue.

I, and I'm sure it' won't surprise anyone, am not a big fan of Smith. I commend him for a good job this year. However, let's not kid ourselves that he's turned into Bill Walsh. The way he game manages is still baffling. Just looking at the last game...too many bad decisions and a horrific personnel decision to have Turd Collins on the roster in any capacity other than ball boy.

My fear, is that what we saw was on the players. Health, desire and the willingness to work with some of the new coordinators. I'm still not completely sold on Martz. Also, too many dumba$$ decisions. But, I'm willing to see more for sure. I've seen a lot with Smith already. If he has a good staff and gets out of the way, he's OK. The players love him, so that plays a huge factor.

I just think if we're 0-8 next year starting through the first half...no extention and probably say goodbye. If we're 8-0, extend. Everything else is gray area and depends on who we played and how we played.

I just way...let's wait and see a bit. I'd rather pay a bit more after seeing good, than still pay a pretty penny for seeing the bad again.

I just heard a sound byte of Angelo saying his #1 priority is extending Lovie Smith's contract.

But, we should wait. I don't see a need to get it done now. Can it wait until at least the CBA goes into lockout mode or not? That's the easy thing to tell Smith. He's under contract for another year. The bears have been loyal to him and vice versa. Given the odd circumstances of the current upcoming year, waiting it out a bit shouldn't be an issue.

I, and I'm sure it' won't surprise anyone, am not a big fan of Smith. I commend him for a good job this year. However, let's not kid ourselves that he's turned into Bill Walsh. The way he game manages is still baffling. Just looking at the last game...too many bad decisions and a horrific personnel decision to have Turd Collins on the roster in any capacity other than ball boy.

My fear, is that what we saw was on the players. Health, desire and the willingness to work with some of the new coordinators. I'm still not completely sold on Martz. Also, too many dumba$$ decisions. But, I'm willing to see more for sure. I've seen a lot with Smith already. If he has a good staff and gets out of the way, he's OK. The players love him, so that plays a huge factor.

I just think if we're 0-8 next year starting through the first half...no extention and probably say goodbye. If we're 8-0, extend. Everything else is gray area and depends on who we played and how we played.

I just way...let's wait and see a bit. I'd rather pay a bit more after seeing good, than still pay a pretty penny for seeing the bad again.

No way does Lovie need to be resigned at this point, one could argue that the success this year has much more to do with the assistant coaches brought in, which I believe he resisted and was forced to accept, rather than him. Let's see what happens next year.

I just heard a sound byte of Angelo saying his #1 priority is extending Lovie Smith's contract.

Then I have a problem with how Angelo prioritizes.

Smith's extension is an afterthought at this point, regardless of how much many don't want to see it happen. But it surely isn't the first thing that needs to get done.

Look , to assume that Lovie did not want Martz or Tice is assuming he has an ego the size of Joe Theisman. I can guarantee you that he has no ego like that at all. His extension can be done this year because it dont cost against the CAP so get it done and all the assistants this year. Tice and Martz will do nothing but improve this team. Cutler with another season under Martz will be huge for the QB and his development. This O has seen a Huge increase in screen plays (which we all wanted), Propensity for the long ball (which we all wanted.) It will also stableize Cutlers descision making. I excpect while under duress at the begining of the seaon Cutler had no clue of a bunch reads to be made. Later on you seen a improvement. The entire staff needs to return. Extend em all for 3 years.

I agree with everyone says that we should not be in a hurry to extend Smith or the rest of his coaching staff. Granted Smith has a winning record as our head coach however, still has not completely proven that he is able to motivate his team, makes poor decisions at times and may truthfully not be the right one to lead this team forward. I also do not think that Angelo is the right guy as our GM nor Ted Philips as the President of the team for that matter. Right now this is what we are all stuck with because no one within the organization listens to the fans. Yes it appears that the team improved this past season however, if anyone asked me back at the start of the season if the Bears would be in NFC Championship let alone host it, I would have laughed in their faces. Let's see what happens with the CBA and whether or not there is a season come the Fall of 2011. Right now that is the hottest topic out there and until there is a resolution to the CBA, there will not be football in the fore see able future. If there is football and this team some how gets even better on offense and age does not kill our defense, then we'll have something to consider towards coach extensions.

Smith's extension is an afterthought at this point, regardless of how much many don't want to see it happen. But it surely isn't the first thing that needs to get done.

What else can be done? You can't sign a FA, you can start preparing vaguely for the draft but you can't make final decisions (in no small part because you can't fill any holes through FA before the draft), and you can sit at home and watch the Super Bowl. Until a CBA is signed, you can't really decide if you want to try to franchise tag any of your players, trade any of your players, cut any of your players, etc.

Look , to assume that Lovie did not want Martz or Tice is assuming he has an ego the size of Joe Theisman. I can guarantee you that he has no ego like that at all. His extension can be done this year because it dont cost against the CAP so get it done and all the assistants this year. Tice and Martz will do nothing but improve this team. Cutler with another season under Martz will be huge for the QB and his development. This O has seen a Huge increase in screen plays (which we all wanted), Propensity for the long ball (which we all wanted.) It will also stableize Cutlers descision making. I excpect while under duress at the begining of the seaon Cutler had no clue of a bunch reads to be made. Later on you seen a improvement. The entire staff needs to return. Extend em all for 3 years.

I agree. And with no CBA, it will be nice to hve the consistancy in place when one does get done.

OK, I'll bite. And no, I don't "hate" it. I am glad things went better this year, as we have discussed many times. :cheers Yes we know that you are not a fan of Lovie's. But, as you pointed out, those that are ACTUALLY "working" for him do in fact appreciate working for him. Especially someone like Urlacher. Which brings me to an idea I saw floated here recently. I like the idea of extending Lovie for as long as Urlacher has left. The Cover 2 (that Lovie loves so much) is really only as effective as the MLB. In this case Urlacher. If they are able to find that next player to eventually fill that role, then maybe Lovie could be extended further. I realize that the Cover 2 has it's flaws but I also think that the staff, Marinelli in this instance, will be able to realize that some re-tooling is in order.

Speaking of staff members and in particular Martz. As far as the Assistant Coaches I am almost certain that Lovie was in support of having Martz, Marinelli and TIce all join his staff as opposed to against it. In fact he had been accused many times of being overly loyal to Martz and Marinelli from their days together with the Rams and Bucs. That being said, Martz showed an ability to adapt his offensive scheme to more what was "Bear-like". That went against conventional wisdom that Martz was inflexible. I think that there is no question that another year...maybe two with Martz and Cutler things could only improve. The one big flaw that I am pretty sure Martz would have to agree in is that Collins IS NOT the answer at #2. If Collins continues on with the Bears, then I would have to really be suspect.

I'm not always sure that Lovie is 100% knowing what is going on either but I do think he has surrounded himself with some pretty good people. And that in many ways is the definition of a good leader. Realizing that you don't know everything and having those around you willing to fill those gaps. The balance for now is good so I think it should be continued for the foreseeable future.

More years of mediocrity are about to come. It would be insane to extend him this year. He has one year left on his deal, why wouldn't you just wait to see what happens next season?! We just came off of 3 years with no playoffs and now all of a sudden when Lovie's job security is in question, we make it to the NFC title game this season. Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't put it past the Bears organization to extend him now though, they would be this dumb. I hope not!

What else can be done? You can't sign a FA, you can start preparing vaguely for the draft but you can't make final decisions (in no small part because you can't fill any holes through FA before the draft), and you can sit at home and watch the Super Bowl. Until a CBA is signed, you can't really decide if you want to try to franchise tag any of your players, trade any of your players, cut any of your players, etc.

What else can be done? You can let him ride out the last year of his contract.

Good points....

How long does Url have left? I think it's longer tha 3 years...which is what I'd think they'd extend Smith for. Basically adding 2 years onto his current....

If it's 5, then i think that's just too long.

OK, I'll bite. And no, I don't "hate" it. I am glad things went better this year, as we have discussed many times. :cheers Yes we know that you are not a fan of Lovie's. But, as you pointed out, those that are ACTUALLY "working" for him do in fact appreciate working for him. Especially someone like Urlacher. Which brings me to an idea I saw floated here recently. I like the idea of extending Lovie for as long as Urlacher has left. The Cover 2 (that Lovie loves so much) is really only as effective as the MLB. In this case Urlacher. If they are able to find that next player to eventually fill that role, then maybe Lovie could be extended further. I realize that the Cover 2 has it's flaws but I also think that the staff, Marinelli in this instance, will be able to realize that some re-tooling is in order.

Speaking of staff members and in particular Martz. As far as the Assistant Coaches I am almost certain that Lovie was in support of having Martz, Marinelli and TIce all join his staff as opposed to against it. In fact he had been accused many times of being overly loyal to Martz and Marinelli from their days together with the Rams and Bucs. That being said, Martz showed an ability to adapt his offensive scheme to more what was "Bear-like". That went against conventional wisdom that Martz was inflexible. I think that there is no question that another year...maybe two with Martz and Cutler things could only improve. The one big flaw that I am pretty sure Martz would have to agree in is that Collins IS NOT the answer at #2. If Collins continues on with the Bears, then I would have to really be suspect.

I'm not always sure that Lovie is 100% knowing what is going on either but I do think he has surrounded himself with some pretty good people. And that in many ways is the definition of a good leader. Realizing that you don't know everything and having those around you willing to fill those gaps. The balance for now is good so I think it should be continued for the foreseeable future.

He did tell us to trust him as he cast Chico aside to put in Babich and failed miserably. The ego is there. The question is, is it in check now due to the failings of the 3 previous seasons?

My take on Lovie...I used a lot of this from earlier in the year

He had some success because he is surrounded by great assistants. Martz, Tice, Marinelli. These guys have changed the identity of the "Lovie Smith" team. A good head coach creates a tree of assistants that go on to other jobs and take the identity or mental approach they learned, with them. The head coach passes on his wisdom to the subordinates, who then copy them and go on to success themselves. In the Bears case, the new coaches came in and implemented their strategy, wisdom and identity to the piss poor one that Lovie had out there. Rivera tried pushing some of his own strategy and identity and even though it worked, he was run out of town. Lovie wanted this team, especially on the defensive side of the ball, to be about him. Well he certainly got it…he put his puppet in charge(Babich) of the defense and watched him fail as he pulled the strings. He then came out from behind the curtain and pulled the strings himself. What we saw wasn't pretty. A stubborn coach who showed no passion or aggressiveness in his calls. A coach who lacked the creativity or the ability to adjust a scheme, not only on the fly, but also from week to week. A coach who had the balls to say 'trust me' yet didn't have the balls to hold lazy, senseless penalty taking and unproductive players acccountable.

I think Lovie learned something and now realizes his lack of tenacity, lack of accountability and lack of overall leadership with the players is not the way to go. What Lovie can do and to his credit, what he is doing, is allowing his assistants to grab the reigns and lead a little. The players are taking on the assistants identity instead of Lovie's. Those 4th down calls….that's all Martz. Lovie has the power to overrule, but the call to go for 6 instead of 3 is coming from the OC who brings the mentality of "you can't stop us" That mentality is not Lovie's…never has been and never will be. The cutting of Anderson...not in Lovie's character. The problem is, there's supposed to be a happy median between letting your Assistants run rampant(Martz) and meddling so much as to undermine their authority(Rivera). Lovie needs to know when to put the brakes on his OC and make the smart play. It seems pretty clear he won't do that unless forced. I took the whole city screaming before Martz changed his ways. We can assume Lovie was the one who finally talked to him about this, but when push comes to shove Martz does what he wants. He's shown that. I honestly think Lovie has zero input right now with regard to the Offense and very little with regard to the Defense. He's just the face of the team… the guy in front of the mic on interview day, the guy in charge of the red flag on game day and the guy to give the speech after the game. That's it. Not sure that's worth the 5.5 he's getting paid, or the big $ it will take to retain him. I don't think any of these guys are HC material, but they might be able succeed like this, cause I think they all see each other as equal, regardless of title. In that case, the money should be spread out to all of them equally. They all should have the same amount of time on their contracts and when it fails...they're all gone!

Interesting take...

My take on Lovie...I used a lot of this from earlier in the year

He had some success because he is surrounded by great assistants. Martz, Tice, Marinelli. These guys have changed the identity of the "Lovie Smith" team. A good head coach creates a tree of assistants that go on to other jobs and take the identity or mental approach they learned, with them. The head coach passes on his wisdom to the subordinates, who then copy them and go on to success themselves. In the Bears case, the new coaches came in and implemented their strategy, wisdom and identity to the piss poor one that Lovie had out there. Rivera tried pushing some of his own strategy and identity and even though it worked, he was run out of town. Lovie wanted this team, especially on the defensive side of the ball, to be about him. Well he certainly got it…he put his puppet in charge(Babich) of the defense and watched him fail as he pulled the strings. He then came out from behind the curtain and pulled the strings himself. What we saw wasn't pretty. A stubborn coach who showed no passion or aggressiveness in his calls. A coach who lacked the creativity or the ability to adjust a scheme, not only on the fly, but also from week to week. A coach who had the balls to say 'trust me' yet didn't have the balls to hold lazy, senseless penalty taking and unproductive players acccountable.

I think Lovie learned something and now realizes his lack of tenacity, lack of accountability and lack of overall leadership with the players is not the way to go. What Lovie can do and to his credit, what he is doing, is allowing his assistants to grab the reigns and lead a little. The players are taking on the assistants identity instead of Lovie's. Those 4th down calls….that's all Martz. Lovie has the power to overrule, but the call to go for 6 instead of 3 is coming from the OC who brings the mentality of "you can't stop us" That mentality is not Lovie's…never has been and never will be. The cutting of Anderson...not in Lovie's character. The problem is, there's supposed to be a happy median between letting your Assistants run rampant(Martz) and meddling so much as to undermine their authority(Rivera). Lovie needs to know when to put the brakes on his OC and make the smart play. It seems pretty clear he won't do that unless forced. I took the whole city screaming before Martz changed his ways. We can assume Lovie was the one who finally talked to him about this, but when push comes to shove Martz does what he wants. He's shown that. I honestly think Lovie has zero input right now with regard to the Offense and very little with regard to the Defense. He's just the face of the team… the guy in front of the mic on interview day, the guy in charge of the red flag on game day and the guy to give the speech after the game. That's it. Not sure that's worth the 5.5 he's getting paid, or the big $ it will take to retain him. I don't think any of these guys are HC material, but they might be able succeed like this, cause I think they all see each other as equal, regardless of title. In that case, the money should be spread out to all of them equally. They all should have the same amount of time on their contracts and when it fails...they're all gone!

the biggest need we have is to fire ted phillips AND jerry angelo especially if giving one of the highest paid coaches in the entire NFL an extension is his/their top priority!!!

why in the HELL would you even want to consider this when lovie has another year on his contract? especially if you look at his success over the last 4 years since his superbowl appearance.

could it be because it takes angie and teddy's jobs out of the line of fire and masks the complete ineptitude of both of these drones?

JUST SAY NO!!!!!

This team extended two HC's that got them a total of 2 playoff appearances prior to Smith's tenure in Wannstedt and Jauron. So either you sign him now to an extension only 2 or 3 years max or fire him now and give the job to someone else. We went through this last time he was extended and in my opinion we over-payed because we waited until his contract was almost up. I would think that all of us have learned from the most recent coaching hires of this team that they" screw the pooch" every time they go through the hiring process. Let us review Wannstedt supposedly we beat the Giants out for him,Jauron after we botched hiring McGinnis with a personnel man(Hatley) and GM Mikey and hiring Smith after being turned down by Saban. So let's see you trust the two guys who hired Lovie to hire his replacement? Anyone who thinks that JA is getting fired now is mistaken because he would not have been able to get rid of all the scouts and personnel people he did last offseason if that were going to happen. He also would have been handicapped when it came to going after Peppers,Taylor and Manumaleuna(sp?).The fact that Lovie took the crap that JA gave him for an O-line and didn't publicly complain tells you that he is a company man and perfect for the Bears to do what the Cubs and Blackhawks do and that is keep the fans engaged enough in the team to keep the cash flow coming. Come next fall (God Willing) I can honestly say that I have been watching the Bears for 45 years and they have done much better in the last 25 years than they did in the previous 25. I was 4 years old in 63 and didn't see the playoffs again until 77. The next time they were in the playoffs was 79 when I believe they were cheated and then the next time was 84. 85 was the magical year for me and I still believe that team was strong enough to win at least 3 SBs. The team's record from 84 through 88 backs up my thoughts. We all loved and revered Ditka almost to icon status but he had his flaws also. I guess no one remembers that Ditka's defensive staff was already in place when he came here but we question who Lovie hired this past offseason. No one wants to admit Ditka putting Flutie in as a starter and and getting outcoached by Joe Gibbs in a playoff game here at Soldier's Field. At one point the Redskins played a 5 man D-line and dared the Bears to pass. At the time the Bears had Tomczak and Harbaugh on the sideline if I can recall. All this stuff happened with some HOF's on the roster and a HOF coach/player calling the shots. Payton, Hampton, Singletary and possibly Dent, Covert and Hilgenberg could be recognized and only one SB appearance. You think Ditka's staff got out-coached a few times? Smith has coached the team 7 years and has maybe 2 possible HOF players for sure and maybe 2 others with an outside chance.(Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Hester) I personally don't like Smith because of his stubborness and arrogant way of talking down to the public but I have to side with the actual stars of the team when they support his methods of coaching 100%.

Good points.

I don't agree fully, but I completely see where you're coming from.

This team extended two HC's that got them a total of 2 playoff appearances prior to Smith's tenure in Wannstedt and Jauron. So either you sign him now to an extension only 2 or 3 years max or fire him now and give the job to someone else. We went through this last time he was extended and in my opinion we over-payed because we waited until his contract was almost up. I would think that all of us have learned from the most recent coaching hires of this team that they" screw the pooch" every time they go through the hiring process. Let us review Wannstedt supposedly we beat the Giants out for him,Jauron after we botched hiring McGinnis with a personnel man(Hatley) and GM Mikey and hiring Smith after being turned down by Saban. So let's see you trust the two guys who hired Lovie to hire his replacement? Anyone who thinks that JA is getting fired now is mistaken because he would not have been able to get rid of all the scouts and personnel people he did last offseason if that were going to happen. He also would have been handicapped when it came to going after Peppers,Taylor and Manumaleuna(sp?).The fact that Lovie took the crap that JA gave him for an O-line and didn't publicly complain tells you that he is a company man and perfect for the Bears to do what the Cubs and Blackhawks do and that is keep the fans engaged enough in the team to keep the cash flow coming. Come next fall (God Willing) I can honestly say that I have been watching the Bears for 45 years and they have done much better in the last 25 years than they did in the previous 25. I was 4 years old in 63 and didn't see the playoffs again until 77. The next time they were in the playoffs was 79 when I believe they were cheated and then the next time was 84. 85 was the magical year for me and I still believe that team was strong enough to win at least 3 SBs. The team's record from 84 through 88 backs up my thoughts. We all loved and revered Ditka almost to icon status but he had his flaws also. I guess no one remembers that Ditka's defensive staff was already in place when he came here but we question who Lovie hired this past offseason. No one wants to admit Ditka putting Flutie in as a starter and and getting outcoached by Joe Gibbs in a playoff game here at Soldier's Field. At one point the Redskins played a 5 man D-line and dared the Bears to pass. At the time the Bears had Tomczak and Harbaugh on the sideline if I can recall. All this stuff happened with some HOF's on the roster and a HOF coach/player calling the shots. Payton, Hampton, Singletary and possibly Dent, Covert and Hilgenberg could be recognized and only one SB appearance. You think Ditka's staff got out-coached a few times? Smith has coached the team 7 years and has maybe 2 possible HOF players for sure and maybe 2 others with an outside chance.(Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Hester) I personally don't like Smith because of his stubborness and arrogant way of talking down to the public but I have to side with the actual stars of the team when they support his methods of coaching 100%.

Here are my thoughts on Lovie.

He is:

1) a good players coach

2) a poor game manager

3) stubborn to a fault

4) a poor talent developer

5) overly loyal to asst coaches

6) a standup guy

7) NOT the defensive mind he's credited to be

That being said, I am still not a Lovie fan and would like to see him gone along with Angelo. I hate the style of defense we play and have somewhat warmed to the offense. The bottom line for me is their failure to develop the offensive and defensive lines. The offensive line has been neglected for far too long. Why? My thoughts are that they have brought in so much talent to the D Line that has NOT panned out, they have not had the picks to spend on quality OL.(This includes all the "good in shorts" players we've drafted as well. Somebody has to pay for that. Had we not struck gold with Peppers, this team would have sucked ass. If not for the calvin Johnson play, we may not have made the playoffs. IMO - this was not as good as team as our record indicated. I will give the staff credit for putting a team willing to compete on the field, but the lack of talent is unacceptable for a staff that has been in place for as long as they've been here.

Promote Toub to HC, hire a GM that can evaluate talent, and keep the offensive and defensive staff in place for a year while Toub gets his system in place. After that, he can cultivate as he sees fit. Sorry, I just don't see it being better next year with the status quo.