Olsen traded to Carolina Panthers

Chitownhustla

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's it, then this trade is full of fail.

I don't think moving Olsen is a fail. I think not pulling the trigger before now is. I like Greg, but he isn't that good IMO. He fumbles, he doesn't block well, and he is too easy to bring down. Hes been far better on paper than on the field.

I think they could have moved him for a 2 last year, and I suspect whatever it is is worth a 4 or 3 at best. Thats the fail IMO.

I don't think moving Olsen is a fail. I think not pulling the trigger before now is. I like Greg, but he isn't that good IMO. He fumbles, he doesn't block well, and he is too easy to bring down. Hes been far better on paper than on the field.

I think they could have moved him for a 2 last year, and I suspect whatever it is is worth a 4 or 3 at best. Thats the fail IMO.

He is still a weapon and a mismatch for most safeties and LB's. That's one less target Jay has to throw too in an already, below average offense.

As long as we still bring in some targets for Jay, I'm fine with this. Olsen has been pretty disappointing in my opinion. Hopefully we got something of use for him.

This move does not bother me, he was just a player. He wasnt special. They made you think he was because of our lack of receivers, but soft, not a good blocker, and had some moments , but just as many bad moments. Clark is a FA so all we have it Davis, Spaeth, and some UDFAs. No big deal.

And I'm sick and tired of letting our genius offensive coordinator dictate every thing when it comes to player personnel on offense. How do you not find room for a 6'5 TE that can catch the ball? We should know by now that he hasn't exactly been spot on when it comes to player personnel. All you have to do is look at the release of Manumaniuseless, the decision to keep Todd Collins in as our #2 when he clearly shouldn't have been allowed to set foot on an NFL field, and the initial reluctance to tone down the pass happy play calling that dug us a bit of a hole early in the season.

If the return is Dan Connor, he's barely played since he's gotten into the NFL.

However, I've heard that Armanti Edwards may be the guy coming to Chicago.

And I'm sick and tired of letting our genius offensive coordinator dictate every thing when it comes to player personnel on offense. How do you not find room for a 6'5 TE that can catch the ball? We should know by now that he hasn't exactly been spot on when it comes to player personnel. All you have to do is look at the release of Manumaniuseless, the decision to keep Todd Collins in as our #2 when he clearly shouldn't have been allowed to set foot on an NFL field, and the initial reluctance to tone down the pass happy play calling that dug us a bit of a hole early in the season.

I agree, in a sense. I fear that this may mean that Martz is planning on going back to his "throw the ball 55 times per game" philosophy.

This move does not bother me, he was just a player. He wasnt special. They made you think he was because of our lack of receivers, but soft, not a good blocker, and had some moments , but just as many bad moments. Clark is a FA so all we have it Davis, Spaeth, and some UDFAs. No big deal.

It sucks that such a POTENTIALLY talented TE couldn't fit in here, but he never exactly lived up to his potential. This makes it easier on me. It wasn't like Olsen was some great player or something. He was soft, sometimes didn't hustle, and I don't think he was all that happy with his use here.

Huh? Isn't he only signed through this upcoming season? Martz isn't locked into anything remotely long term from my recollection.

I said, it depends on what they plan on doing with Martz. Obviously, the plan seems like they are locked into him as the OC for years or they wouldn't be trading a 6'5, pass catching TE.

I also said, if they plan on him leaving in a year or 2, then this is pointless.

Yeah, but just wait, he is a genius...........

it ended up just being a 3rd round pick

this was the final year of his contract and someone else would have paid him more next year anyway, so we did ok with what he would have given us this year.

And Martz now has no reason to incude TE in the air game. We definitey need more than ever some vet OLine to protect Cutler and now a solid WR.

And Martz now has no reason to incude TE in the air game. We definitey need more than ever some vet OLine to protect Cutler and now a solid WR.

I was concerned when I saw a pick and a player, being I do not think Carolina was that desperate for a TE since they already picked up Jeremy Shockey, that it would be something like a 5th and some player I never heard of. At least this way it is not watered down and a 3rd seems fair being Olsen never really lived up to the expectations of the team. Like everyone, I was hoping for a miracle in compensation, but alas, it did not happen.

Guest TerraTor
To those complaining about it just being a 3rd and we used a 1st on Olsen initially. Has he actually played like a 1st round pick? Come on, we weren't gonna get anything interesting at all for him.

Thats why he shouldnt have been traded.

Funny, how the player wasnt named originally, the player Jerry picks in the 3rd nobody will know either...

To those complaining about it just being a 3rd and we used a 1st on Olsen initially. Has he actually played like a 1st round pick? Come on, we weren't gonna get anything interesting at all for him.

The 1st round pick we used for Olsen was at the end of the first round. Most likely we will get a top of the third round pick. I have no issues with this trade.

Peace :dabears

I was concerned when I saw a pick and a player, being I do not think Carolina was that desperate for a TE since they already picked up Jeremy Shockey, that it would be something like a 5th and some player I never heard of. At least this way it is not watered down and a 3rd seems fair being Olsen never really lived up to the expectations of the team. Like everyone, I was hoping for a miracle in compensation, but alas, it did not happen.

Odd that the pairing is both Shockey and Olsen, because they are nearly the exact same player. Both tall, fast, good hands, decent routes, subpar blockers, and never lived up to the promise of their selection. I'm not totally upset by this trade, but it would have been nice to see the Bears' FO swindle a little more out of the Panthers.

jason,

You know we never swingle, we only get swindled, right?

Odd that the pairing is both Shockey and Olsen, because they are nearly the exact same player. Both tall, fast, good hands, decent routes, subpar blockers, and never lived up to the promise of their selection. I'm not totally upset by this trade, but it would have been nice to see the Bears' FO swindle a little more out of the Panthers.

i think the complaint isn't so much the pick... It's that this organization seems to keep whiffing on picks, whether it's a 1st (Olsen since he's so awful to be traded for a 3rd) or a 3rd that we will get and use on a Bazuin or pool jumping guy.