TerraTor influence

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor
Terra for GM

January - Bring in Jeremy Bates as OL and QB Coach and as direct OC assistant with Mike Tice

March -

Sign Matt Forte to 4 year 38M

Sign Stevie Johnson (Bowe will all but guarantee carry a tag)

Sign OG Ben Grubbs

Sign S - Micheal Griffin

February -

1st: OLB Zack Brown

2nd: DE Andre Branch

3rd: CB Brandon Boykin (Bacarri Rambo if declares)

3rd: TE Ladarius Green

4th: OLB Keenan Robinson

5th: WR Jarius Wright

I don't get why you're so high on Williams....not even a little.

I think he was really performing well at the guard spot before he got hurt. He was really key to those big runs Forte was breaking because he was always pulling out in front of them, with Webb and Garza sealing off the left side. At the very worst, he looked like an exceptional starting guard.

I'm not sure I'd want to move him to tackle, but if you're signing a guard, that's the only real option. Makes more sense to me to sign a tackle if you're upgrading the O Line and put that tackle on the left side, but this isn't my plan.

I think he was really performing well at the guard spot before he got hurt. He was really key to those big runs Forte was breaking because he was always pulling out in front of them, with Webb and Garza sealing off the left side. At the very worst, he looked like an exceptional starting guard.

I'm not sure I'd want to move him to tackle, but if you're signing a guard, that's the only real option. Makes more sense to me to sign a tackle if you're upgrading the O Line and put that tackle on the left side, but this isn't my plan.

They pulled Williams a lot, yes. However, he often would run out there and just get in the way or not block anyone. Same with Webb...(they pulled Aaron Gibson all of the time when he was in Chicago, too). I wouldn't question Williams' athletic ability, but a bull rush beats him everytime. I'm still not over that Haynesworth game from over a year ago.

If you want to say he's good enough...fine, but exceptional? No.

I'm not so High on Jeremy Bates. In 2010 he was in Seattle as their OC, but he spent last year unemployed. I'm willing to bet there's a good reason for that.

As far as the Oline, I think we'll see more production out of them next season but don't think the personnel will change much. Tice wasn't a big fan of Martz's blocking schemes, so with him being able to adjust the pass blocking when he wants to, the line should improve even more.

There's not going to be any big name coaches coming to Chicago to be the "Passing coordinator". It's just not going to happen. What will happen most likely is that a quarterbacks coach from somewhere will come over because it's a promotion. No offensive coordinator will come here to be one of two guys that are designated OC's. Or in Bears logic, Darryl Drake will be the guy.

I was thinking Carimi goes to LT. Lance Louis should be RT actually

Lance Lewis really would have a great game one week, then would stink it up the next even during the 5 game win streak. He's not a Tackle, He's not a TE, the best he would be is a backup.

Louis had quite a good run while playing Guard, but was much weaker at tackle.

You can call me crazy all you want. But I've been right on A LOT of things this season. JWebb will be a ProBowler in the next couple years. Tice was even vocal about making fun of Martz's blocking schemes. With him now having total control over the Offensive Lines Blocking assignments, we are about to see a MAJOR improvement with the Players and their production. They may only add two more people to the mix during the offseason and that could be a starting Guard and a backup Tackle to replace OhMeYellingAtHim.

Cool. Thanks for humoring me at least... You like my draft?

My big issue is I think LT is a bigger need than guard so I think my off-season focus would have to ensure we get a tackle, whether in the 1st round (if one falls) or via free agency (although I don't think any are out there). I'd probably spend my free agent money on wideout and end and would also probably throw a little more money at Briggs. He's an elite linebacker and well worth keeping for the time being.

I would consider moving up in the draft if the top 4 tackles are gone, but I might also consider moving down if they are gone and nothing else the Bears really like is available. Stock up on additional picks and the Bears should still be in a position to find a few starters in this draft (given we have the extra pick from Olsen and would get another pretty high pick if you moved down 10 or so slots).

Basically if a good DE or LT isn't available with our 1st rounder, I'd move down. Unless of course the Bears haven't addressed wideout, which means I'd have to add WR to that list.

If he's signing a starting OG, then Williams probably moves back there.

I can't even fathom the logic in this. I've seen this proposed many places, however, it is very evident the Bears have decided Williams is not a LT. What he is is a very athletic guard who has shown a pretty damn good ability to run block and that is where he should stay. I have very little concern with our guards and truly think this line needs continuity, more experience, and an upgrade at tackle (Webb might be an athletic beast but he's proven he's nothing but inconsistent).

Lance Lewis really would have a great game one week, then would stink it up the next even during the 5 game win streak. He's not a Tackle, He's not a TE, the best he would be is a backup.

Williams and Louis is a very good potential guard combo. Add in Spencer who is a solid guard and I'm happy with the depth at guard (E. Williams is solid depth too). I'm also okay with Carimi as the RT and will trust in Tice who says he isn't an LT. Bears have never said he was either. Webb is the guy that needs to be replaced, but that doesn't mean you cut him, he has a lot of value as a swing tackle coming off the bench. Bears need to address LT and than I'll rely on Tice to draft a guard/center of the future (to replace Garza in time).

People can complain all they want about the pass blocking but this team ran the ball fantastically this year and a big part has to do with the run blocking of the line, including the blocking of a guy like Williams who was huge at getting the initial block and than getting out down the field and making another down block. This created a lot of big plays and is not something most guards can do. The Bears have one of the more athletic olines in the league.

Note: I'm not saying it is the best oline and pass blocking is important but when the biggest sack issues happened (and I'm ignoring the early stretch of football when Martz was hanging the line out to dry and they were still growing with each other) when Williams was down and you had Louis playing tackle for the first time ever (he's a guard) and other issues going on. Add in Hanie who was clueless and I was not surprised the line would give up a bagillion sacks.

Webb is the guy that needs to be replaced, but that doesn't mean you cut him, he has a lot of value as a swing tackle coming off the bench. Bears need to address LT and than I'll rely on Tice to draft a guard/center of the future (to replace Garza in time).

Here's one thing worth thinking about...Webb is basically "Mike Tice's guy" on the line, isn't he? Hasn't he gone to bat for Webb as a player both of the last 2 years?

I'm totally in agreement that if the Bears are going to upgrade on the O-Line, it has to be at LT...I don't think it should happen in the draft (Because it's a 2-3 year process for a tackle to really become a top level player even if you have a hit)...But the guy who might have the most say on whether that position changes has been Webb's biggest backer.

We already know that Tice wants more chip blocking to assist the tackles:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8550

"You can’t pass the ball in this league unless the quarterback is protected, and you can’t protect unless you help the guys up front with chips, keeping tight ends in, play action, move the launch point, and move the quarterback. We’re going to do all of those things moving forward. We’ve done some of those things, but we’re going to make sure that our quarterback is protected so he can set his feet and throw the ball comfortably."

What is interesting is the in the same interview (actually the same response) he makes it very clear we need a #1 target at WR:

"With that said, if we’re going to be like that, we do need a [wide receiver] that when he gets one-on-one coverage he has to win way more than he loses."

So there you have it: Within the same statement he makes no concession about needing to bring in new talent on the Oline but makes it clear he wants help at WR. I'm not saying this is definitive but it does indicate that perhaps he does have far more confidence in Webb than the members of this board, myself included.

FWIW watching the Saints play the Lions it appeared they did a lot of what Tice wants to do and that was despite the fact they had 3 Pro Bowl players on their Oline.

I think the priority should be on WR, whether through draft or FA. Then CB. I still like the idea of moving Peanut to FS and putting either Graham or Moore starting at CB. As far as T goes , I think the Bears have proven you may not always find a starter in the first round (Williams) or one that will stay healthy (Williams or Carimi). So to me, it doesn't really matter where they find a good OLman. In that, I have to agree somewhat with DTG that now that Tice is the full fledged OC then the blocking schemes will become more potent. And most of the current OL on staff (save Omiyale) will suffice.

You can call me crazy all you want. But I've been right on A LOT of things this season. JWebb will be a ProBowler in the next couple years. Tice was even vocal about making fun of Martz's blocking schemes. With him now having total control over the Offensive Lines Blocking assignments, we are about to see a MAJOR improvement with the Players and their production. They may only add two more people to the mix during the offseason and that could be a starting Guard and a backup Tackle to replace OhMeYellingAtHim.

Your right alot, J Webb wont be the starting LT when the line gets good again. Tice adjusted the oline schemes, he tried to work with the Martz offense which was the problem. Im not sure you have been right about anything.

We already know that Tice wants more chip blocking to assist the tackles:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8550

"You can’t pass the ball in this league unless the quarterback is protected, and you can’t protect unless you help the guys up front with chips, keeping tight ends in, play action, move the launch point, and move the quarterback. We’re going to do all of those things moving forward. We’ve done some of those things, but we’re going to make sure that our quarterback is protected so he can set his feet and throw the ball comfortably."

What is interesting is the in the same interview (actually the same response) he makes it very clear we need a #1 target at WR:

"With that said, if we’re going to be like that, we do need a [wide receiver] that when he gets one-on-one coverage he has to win way more than he loses."

So there you have it: Within the same statement he makes no concession about needing to bring in new talent on the Oline but makes it clear he wants help at WR. I'm not saying this is definitive but it does indicate that perhaps he does have far more confidence in Webb than the members of this board, myself included.

FWIW watching the Saints play the Lions it appeared they did a lot of what Tice wants to do and that was despite the fact they had 3 Pro Bowl players on their Oline.

That says a lot.

I've watched this one back and forth, but yeah, I'll go ahead and call you crazy. No way in hell Webb is a probowler. No way. His feet are atrociously slow, he doesn't get a good lean when run blocking, and he's too high when pass blocking. No freaking way. No way.

If the Bears don't sign a LT, it should be Carimi. The problem is, the Bears need a RT and a LT, because Louis was clearly a better LG than a LT. If, however, everyone is dead set on the idea of Carimi being a probowl RT, then they still need a LT. Two situations make the most sense (from left to right) with how the Bears typically draft.

-Carimi, C.Williams, Garza, Louis, FA/Draft

-FA/Draft,C.Williams, Garza, Louis, Carimi

Now, if they sign a good FA OG, then either Louis or Webb will probably end up starting at one of the OT positions, and that will clearly be the weakest position on the OL, and a hole the Bears will need to address (again) the following year. But if they signed an OG, and they were smart, they'd do the following:

-Carimi/C.Williams, FA OG, Garza, Louis, Carmi/C.Williams

I remember last year Yahoo came out with a list of the 20 worst players in football. If they did that right now, Webb would be in that top 20. I know Jared Allen is a beast, but he absolutely KILLED Webb in the season finale. If Reily Reiff is there at 19, he has to be the pick. Webb is atrocious, and in 2 years, there's a very good chance he'll be playing in the CFL.