Vincent Jackson a Bears target?

chwtom

Agreed. Royal as a complimentary WR would be a good move I think. We just need a clear #1 as well as you said.

Royal would be interesting because he certainly had a great year with Cutler. He would not be a #1 but would be an excellent option for Cutler as they seemed to work well together in the past. Heck, they were together when our new QB coach was working with the Denver offense, right?

Still need a "Beast" as a number one option, but we need more quality receivers to go along with the #1 so Royal might just be a cheap option that would work out???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Basically whatever monster stud we bring in from FA, I don't really want to see that be our #1 pick as well. Be it a Mario Williams or a Colston or V-Jack.

I'd have zero issues with doing so.

But, if you bring in 2 FA WR's, including a #1, I don't want to see the 19th pick spent bringing in a WR. If you're drafting one, grab one in the 3rd round who you plan to bury for a year or two while Royal gets most of the playing time.

Meachem also has very very few drops during his career. I've seen a couple article who indicate that NFL scouts think Meachem is a better bit to succeed outside of New Orleans than Colston. Apparently there are quite a few scouts (based upon some articles I've read) who think Colston is more of a system guy where as Meachem is the type of guy who should excel in the typical pro sets ran in the NFL. I think Meachem would be a really solid signing. Dude is talented and I'm sick of the Bears having this untalented hacks at the position.

I'd probably argue that 3 of the 4 wideouts listed above, whether pu-pu or not, are better than the Bears wideouts (maybe with the exception of Bennett but I base a lot of Bennett on what he did with Cutler when healthy; his injury issues have to be something you worry about though).

Perhaps. Which is why I stated earlier that Meachem is the only one that really makes me curious. But in the end, I think he's still very comparable to what the Bears currently have (assuming Knox can return to health). But I'm not completely convinced he's a massive upgrade in talent. Probably a slight upgrade, but that's about it.

If the Bears are trying to go from D+ or C- to C+ and B-, then so be it. I don't think that helps that much, but I have to admit it is an upgrade. But if they're going to get a WR, I'd much rather see them make an attempt at an A+ rather than knowing the best they'll get is a B.

In some of those you have to consider where they're playing though when you compare their numbers. Meachem and Manningham were what, the 3rd options on their clubs, while Williams was the first option supposedly on the Bears? Royal had what, the Tebow throwing to him? Presumably if the Bears sign any of them, they immediately become Cutler's best target.

That said, yes, signing a legit WR is still the priority and should be the only reasonable option.

Royal was hurt. When healthy he put up a 90 catch season with Cutler throwing him the ball as the #2 option behind Manning. I think the comparisons being used in that statistical analysis are not very accurate. Meachem and Manningham are both better than Knox/Hester/etc. Bennett, maybe not, but everyone else, absolutely.

Perhaps. Which is why I stated earlier that Meachem is the only one that really makes me curious. But in the end, I think he's still very comparable to what the Bears currently have (assuming Knox can return to health). But I'm not completely convinced he's a massive upgrade in talent. Probably a slight upgrade, but that's about it.

If the Bears are trying to go from D+ or C- to C+ and B-, then so be it. I don't think that helps that much, but I have to admit it is an upgrade. But if they're going to get a WR, I'd much rather see them make an attempt at an A+ rather than knowing the best they'll get is a B.

I think the comparison to Knox is fair, however, Meachem is a bigger receiver. Knox and Hester are two of the faster wideouts in the league, but they have size/strength issues that Meachem doesn't have. Meachem also has better hands. How good he will be away from New Orleans is yet to be known, but I think in a situation where he is more of a go-to-guy we would see his numbers increase.

But we also know I happen to think our wide receiver corps is pure garbage.

Royal would be interesting because he certainly had a great year with Cutler. He would not be a #1 but would be an excellent option for Cutler as they seemed to work well together in the past. Heck, they were together when our new QB coach was working with the Denver offense, right?

Still need a "Beast" as a number one option, but we need more quality receivers to go along with the #1 so Royal might just be a cheap option that would work out???

I am 100% sure that the Bears are drafting a wideout in one of the 1st or 2nd rounds. This is irregardless of whether they sign Jackson or any other wideouts. That is why I think Royal is a really great option as a 2nd FA wideout signing.

I am 100% sure that the Bears are drafting a wideout in one of the 1st or 2nd rounds. This is irregardless of whether they sign Jackson or any other wideouts. That is why I think Royal is a really great option as a 2nd FA wideout signing.

Hate to say it...but I kinda think that's almost overkill...Think about this...sign 2 WR, including Royal, then your top 3 WR are signee, signee, Bennett, with Hester and Knox (hopefully) already there, plus there's TE needs unless Davis is signed...

Now where is this 2nd round draftee going to get his catches from? Even in the ideal situation, he's sitting 4th on that depth chart, and the Bears aren't exactly known for their 4 WR sets. I don't really want to draft a guy in the first or 2nd and then have him sitting there behind 3 other guys...those picks could make a bigger difference elsewhere if the WR slots are filled by FA. A 3rd rounder, ok, I don't mind him sitting as much because he might need more time to be brought in, but a 2nd rounder?

Basically, the only way the 2nd round/1st round pick gets legit playing time if 2 WR's are signed is if someone gets hurt, and that's not the place I'd put that high of a draftee.

here is what i would do...

first, after a long talk with tice that confirms chris williams is not and never will be your starting quality LT, i bring in marcus mcneill TODAY for a physical. if it looks like he can play football i would SIGN him today. that way you know for sure the status of the all important left tackle position BEFORE free agency even starts. this move should not burn up a lot of cap space and give us some serious cash to pursue the quality players once FA starts.

once free agency starts if mcneill is not healthy enough to play this season the first thing i do is call jared gaither's agent and get HIM in for a physical and sign him as a top priority if healthy which it seems he is. he should command a medium to medium high+ priced contract.

either of these LT's should give us plenty of money to sign a second tier player like meachem or royle to be our#2 WR.

in this scenario above i then go STRONGLY for RFA ladarius webb. we have to give up our first round pick because of his restricted status and this i would do in a heartbeat for a top quality young CB. his contract plus the others should just about end our free agency with maybe some minor pickups like the center wells from green bay if possible.

i then draft our future #1 WR in round 2 or move up into the lower first round if a WR looks interesting and won't make it that far giving up our 2nd third rounder.

Hate to say it...but I kinda think that's almost overkill...Think about this...sign 2 WR, including Royal, then your top 3 WR are signee, signee, Bennett, with Hester and Knox (hopefully) already there, plus there's TE needs unless Davis is signed...

Now where is this 2nd round draftee going to get his catches from? Even in the ideal situation, he's sitting 4th on that depth chart, and the Bears aren't exactly known for their 4 WR sets. I don't really want to draft a guy in the first or 2nd and then have him sitting there behind 3 other guys...those picks could make a bigger difference elsewhere if the WR slots are filled by FA. A 3rd rounder, ok, I don't mind him sitting as much because he might need more time to be brought in, but a 2nd rounder?

Basically, the only way the 2nd round/1st round pick gets legit playing time if 2 WR's are signed is if someone gets hurt, and that's not the place I'd put that high of a draftee.

Same thing I've been trying to get across to the "sign two WRs and draft one high"-camp. It makes no sense. It's overkill.

Same thing I've been trying to get across to the "sign two WRs and draft one high"-camp. It makes no sense. It's overkill.

You guys talk about wanting a great offense. Look at a lot of the great offenses in the league and one thing they have in common is not only a great QB, but great offensive weapons. You want to be high-profile, give your QB lots of toys. I want at least 3 wideouts. That could mean resigning Roy and drafting 2 (which probably isn't preferred) but the Bears need to give Jay weapons. And they also need to make sure they pick who they want at TE (whether that is Davis or a guy like Carlson) to go with our backup in Spaeth.

You guys talk about wanting a great offense. Look at a lot of the great offenses in the league and one thing they have in common is not only a great QB, but great offensive weapons. You want to be high-profile, give your QB lots of toys. I want at least 3 wideouts. That could mean resigning Roy and drafting 2 (which probably isn't preferred) but the Bears need to give Jay weapons. And they also need to make sure they pick who they want at TE (whether that is Davis or a guy like Carlson) to go with our backup in Spaeth.

But there's a limit to how many touches can go around even with the great offenses. Look at the super bowl teams last year for example...the Giants went with 3 WR threats, with a TE and their RB's. Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, their RB rotation, and then Ballard their TE. I can't even tell who their 4th WR is from looking at their stats, everyone with more than 10 catches is listed as a running back or a TE.

The Patriots have the 2 big TE threats, then Welker and then Branch on the outside. They had a moderate running game, but then only completed about 30 passes to RB's the whole season, and then they have guys like Edelman and Ochocinco who really didn't bring all that much even for a heavy throwing offense.

In both cases, you've got the Running backs and then basically 4 plausible receiving targets if you include the TE, the 5th guy gets some occasional touches.

I can even play the same game with the Saints. You've got their Running backs, led by Sproles as a receiving threat, Graham and Colston, then a huge drop down to about 30-50 catches each for Henderson, Moore, and Meacham. After that, blah. Basically they have 1 extra guy getting catches.

These great offenses have depth, but that depth is enabled by the fact that they have a number of guys who are good enough to get the ball in their hands regardless of what the defense does. The Bears don't have a TE right now since Davis is a FA, that's a problem. But if you try to build a roster for the Bears, you need 3 WR's, one of whom is Bennett and neither of whom are Knox and Hester, a TE who can catch the ball, and then Forte + a TD hog out of the backfield.

Knox and Hester, if Knox ever plays again, ought to be more than enough to fill up that "4th WR who catches 20-40 passes". Hell, Hester caught 26 last year and that offense was a joke for 1/2 the season. And especially if you can have Knox, Hester, or hell, Sanzenbacher or Davis wind up the guy who is constantly single-covered or forgotten about because the defense has to double team Jackson...then that sets things up just fine.

But there's a limit to how many touches can go around even with the great offenses. Look at the super bowl teams last year for example...the Giants went with 3 WR threats, with a TE and their RB's. Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, their RB rotation, and then Ballard their TE. I can't even tell who their 4th WR is from looking at their stats, everyone with more than 10 catches is listed as a running back or a TE.

The Patriots have the 2 big TE threats, then Welker and then Branch on the outside. They had a moderate running game, but then only completed about 30 passes to RB's the whole season, and then they have guys like Edelman and Ochocinco who really didn't bring all that much even for a heavy throwing offense.

In both cases, you've got the Running backs and then basically 4 plausible receiving targets if you include the TE, the 5th guy gets some occasional touches.

I can even play the same game with the Saints. You've got their Running backs, led by Sproles as a receiving threat, Graham and Colston, then a huge drop down to about 30-50 catches each for Henderson, Moore, and Meacham. After that, blah. Basically they have 1 extra guy getting catches.

These great offenses have depth, but that depth is enabled by the fact that they have a number of guys who are good enough to get the ball in their hands regardless of what the defense does. The Bears don't have a TE right now since Davis is a FA, that's a problem. But if you try to build a roster for the Bears, you need 3 WR's, one of whom is Bennett and neither of whom are Knox and Hester, a TE who can catch the ball, and then Forte + a TD hog out of the backfield.

Knox and Hester, if Knox ever plays again, ought to be more than enough to fill up that "4th WR who catches 20-40 passes". Hell, Hester caught 26 last year and that offense was a joke for 1/2 the season. And especially if you can have Knox, Hester, or hell, Sanzenbacher or Davis wind up the guy who is constantly single-covered or forgotten about because the defense has to double team Jackson...then that sets things up just fine.

Bingo.

To simplify:

#1 - VJax

#2 - Bennett

#3 - Knox/Rookie/Sanz/Roy

#4 - Knox/Rookie/Sanz/Roy

#5 - Hester

Where does one more WR fit into the equation? The answer: He doesn't. Signing VJax and drafting one WR in the first couple rounds is plenty. The thing about lots and lots of toys is that you have to have time to play with them. Right now, Cutler doesn't have that time.

Bingo.

To simplify:

#1 - VJax

#2 - Bennett

#5 - Hester

Where does one more WR fit into the equation? The answer: He doesn't. Signing VJax and drafting one WR in the first couple rounds is plenty. The thing about lots and lots of toys is that you have to have time to play with them. Right now, Cutler doesn't have that time.

Yes. Thats's why we re-sign Roy.(Only if it's in his contract to hit camp in shape) Cut his ass the first time he misses practice time for being tired. He's a big target, good blocker, knows the O and was best on team at getting separation at the LOS. Now, if he can cut the drops by a few. Knox is a longshot to even play IMO.

The Patriots have 4 major targets plus some rb's who can catch the ball. Thats quite a few weapons. Packers have Driver, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, Cobb, and James Jones. Saints have there TE, Meachem, Colston, Henderson, More, and Sproles.

Yes. Thats's why we re-sign Roy.(Only if it's in his contract to hit camp in shape) Cut his ass the first time he misses practice time for being tired. He's a big target, good blocker, knows the O and was best on team at getting separation at the LOS. Now, if he can cut the drops by a few. Knox is a longshot to even play IMO.

Honestly, now that Martz is gone, I can't justify keeping Williams.

The Patriots have 4 major targets plus some rb's who can catch the ball. Thats quite a few weapons. Packers have Driver, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, Cobb, and James Jones. Saints have there TE, Meachem, Colston, Henderson, More, and Sproles.

So, if the Bears had say, 3 wide receivers, 1 TE, and some RB's who could catch the ball, they'd be in the exact same position, as I outlined above?

Bingo.

To simplify:

#1 - VJax

#2 - Bennett

#5 - Hester

I think Bennett is more of a slot receiver, so he'd be the number 3. I don't think Knox will be a starting caliber WR for the Bears this year. I don't think Sanz looked like a pro WR. And Hester is a hall of famer returner but a poor WR. I'm fine with him as the number 4 or 5, but anything above that is pushing it.

So I think we need a 1 and a 2. My feeling is one of them needs to be a veteran and one needs to be a rookie. If we take Floyd in the first round, we can get away with a second-tier guy like Meachem in FA. If we sign someone like V-Jack, we can probably wait until the third to pick up a WR in the draft.

just my 2 cents.

Bingo.

To simplify:

#1 - VJax

#2 - Bennett

#5 - Hester

Bennett is a #3, Knox will be out of football by the time the first regular season game is played, and Hester is only at 5 because he will still be on the team. We need another #2 WR as a draft pick and at the a4th spot a second tier WR. You should stick to bingo.

I think Bennett is more of a slot receiver, so he'd be the number 3. I don't think Knox will be a starting caliber WR for the Bears this year. I don't think Sanz looked like a pro WR. And Hester is a hall of famer returner but a poor WR. I'm fine with him as the number 4 or 5, but anything above that is pushing it.

So I think we need a 1 and a 2. My feeling is one of them needs to be a veteran and one needs to be a rookie. If we take Floyd in the first round, we can get away with a second-tier guy like Meachem in FA. If we sign someone like V-Jack, we can probably wait until the third to pick up a WR in the draft.

just my 2 cents.

It was a good .02 FWIW!

However, the Bears need to give Earl a shot at being the #2. I liken this situation to when the Bears cut Bobby Engram years ago so Marty Booker would have a chance to play opposite Marcus Robinson. It just so happened that year Marcus went down early and Booker became a Pro Bowl WR while our 1st Rounder, David Terrell.....well yeah.

The way Earl took that Philly game over last year against elite CBs....how can he not get a chance playing #2CBs on the outside opposite a VJax? Earl didn't get that contract extension to be a #3....he got that contract because he was our best WR and he deserves a chance to prove it.

Bennett is a #3, Knox will be out of football by the time the first regular season game is played, and Hester is only at 5 because he will still be on the team. We need another #2 WR as a draft pick and at the a4th spot a second tier WR. You should stick to bingo.

I didn't know you were intimately related to the Knox family and/or the Chicago Bears medical staff! Good to know.

Bennett is more than capable of being a #2. All he lacks is targets and a legit #1 to protect him in the offense.