Vincent Jackson a Bears target?

chwtom

Per Vaughn McClure's twitter, VJax and Avril were our top 2 targets, but Avril is tagged.

I don't put a ton of stock in this, as I really don't think Emery is leaking things yet. There was another suggestion from one of McClure's earlier tweets than the info might have come from a player, which would make it seem like it's just speculation.

But hey, it's a juicy rumor!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Vaughn McClure's twitter, VJax and Avril were our top 2 targets, but Avril is tagged.

I don't put a ton of stock in this, as I really don't think Emery is leaking things yet. There was another suggestion from one of McClure's earlier tweets than the info might have come from a player, which would make it seem like it's just speculation.

I hope this is true. It doesn't matter if we overpay for V-Jax....its what he'll cost is what matters.

If it takes 4yr/50mil/16bon or 5/60mil/20bon..............I'd do either one to get Cut a target like VJax.

Well, V-Jack apparently is free. So that bodes well...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...-franchise-tag/

Well, V-Jack apparently is free. So that bodes well...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...-franchise-tag/

My question is who is going to get more money Vjack or Colston?? If one is going to be way cheaper and that allows the Bears to go after another big time FA then i would be good with going after the lesser option.

But good news Vjack is going to be option

My question is who is going to get more money Vjack or Colston?? If one is going to be way cheaper and that allows the Bears to go after another big time FA then i would be good with going after the lesser option.

But good news Vjack is going to be option

Jackson ought to get more money since he's been healthier.

John Clayton also tweeted earlier that everyone should watch for Chicago to make a serious push for Jackson. He then went on SC and said the same thing that when he talks to people around the league, they all mention the Bears when they talk about Jackson. He also said the Jaguars and Vikings might also make an offer.

I would go Jackson over Colston, because Jackson is bigger, stronger, and he hasn't played in a dome his whole career. If you look at the stats, Colston averages more ypc on grass than on turf, but Jackson does too, and he averages more ypc overall than Colston does anyway.

As for McClure, I trust him more than any beat writer, and I would if I were you guys as well. I know he has a really good track record, and I know he is really good friends with a few players on the team, most notably Brian Urlacher.

John Clayton also tweeted earlier that everyone should watch for Chicago to make a serious push for Jackson. He then went on SC and said the same thing that when he talks to people around the league, they all mention the Bears when they talk about Jackson. He also said the Jaguars and Vikings might also make an offer.

I would think we are the most attractive location out of those three for a WR looking to play on a championship caliber team and with a franchise QB. Minnesota and Jacksonville both have question marks at QB and their teams are not really contenders.

I've heard NE and SF as potential suitors....They are the only clubs that worry me. But, Smith is no Cutty. Brady on the otherhand....that choice truly concerns me. But I think money will talk.

I would think we are the most attractive location out of those three for a WR looking to play on a championship caliber team and with a franchise QB. Minnesota and Jacksonville both have question marks at QB and their teams are not really contenders.

We have far more cap room than most teams and Lovie came out and said we want to upgrade the position. V-Jack is the best guy available. That tells me we're going to make a run at him and Colston.

With Cutler as QB and our cap space, Chicago makes sense. The one team that worries me is Washington. They have a ton of cap space and PFT reported they want to get a top WR. They tend to get what they want, regardless of cost.

I would go Jackson over Colston, because Jackson is bigger, stronger, and he hasn't played in a dome his whole career. If you look at the stats, Colston averages more ypc on grass than on turf, but Jackson does too, and he averages more ypc overall than Colston does anyway.

As for McClure, I trust him more than any beat writer, and I would if I were you guys as well. I know he has a really good track record, and I know he is really good friends with a few players on the team, most notably Brian Urlacher.

We have far more cap room than most teams and Lovie came out and said we want to upgrade the position. V-Jack is the best guy available. That tells me we're going to make a run at him and Colston.

With Cutler as QB and our cap space, Chicago makes sense. The one team that worries me is Washington. They have a ton of cap space and PFT reported they want to get a top WR. They tend to get what they want, regardless of cost.

FWIW they didn't get Cutler!

I believe the days of spending whatever it may cost are over for Washington after what happened with Haynesworth. I feel Washington may bid as much as anyone else...but that doesn't exactly help them seeing a player would have to want to play in Washington over Chicago....which is a tough sell IMO.

I've heard NE and SF as potential suitors....They are the only clubs that worry me. But, Smith is no Cutty. Brady on the otherhand....that choice truly concerns me. But I think money will talk.

I dont think NE will go after a big pos type WR, I think they need someone to go vertical with. They have 2 1st round picks and Wallace is sitting there for one of them, which also hurts Pitt. they have the TEs and Welker, so they will go after Wallace. SF could be a tougher foe to deal with. He is going to a very good team and it is still the West Coast, where he lives.

I dont think NE will go after a big pos type WR, I think they need someone to go vertical with. They have 2 1st round picks and Wallace is sitting there for one of them, which also hurts Pitt. they have the TEs and Welker, so they will go after Wallace. SF could be a tougher foe to deal with. He is going to a very good team and it is still the West Coast, where he lives.

They would have an awful lot of money tied up in that position if they signed Wallace. They'd have Welker's 9 mil plus 12 mil or so this year for Wallace.

I think Brandon Lloyd plus Stephen Hill in the draft might make more sense for them, particularly given Lloyd's success with McDaniels.

Guest TerraTor

Pats never spend cash like that... no way

Pats never spend cash like that... no way

There might be a point we need to walk away from Vincent Jackson. I would rather pay top money to the top DE in football (Mario Williams) and get a lesser WR (and a first rounder) than pay top money to Vincent Jackson who--while a huge upgrade over what we have--is probably ranked somewhere in the 10-20 range for WRs in the league.

If we can get Jackson for a price appropriate to his talent, then great. But if we can't, I would LOVE to see what Mario and Julius would do on the same line.

There might be a point we need to walk away from Vincent Jackson. I would rather pay top money to the top DE in football (Mario Williams) and get a lesser WR (and a first rounder) than pay top money to Vincent Jackson who--while a huge upgrade over what we have--is probably ranked somewhere in the 10-20 range for WRs in the league.

If we can get Jackson for a price appropriate to his talent, then great. But if we can't, I would LOVE to see what Mario and Julius would do on the same line.

So you can easily name 9-19 better WR's than Jackson? He may not be in the top 5, but he is definitely in that next group of WR's and I would definitely consider him a top 10 talent at that position.

So you can easily name 9-19 better WR's than Jackson? He may not be in the top 5, but he is definitely in that next group of WR's and I would definitely consider him a top 10 talent at that position.

True, but there's 20 WR's you could consider a top 10 talent. Hell, you could argue Jackson vs. Colston for starters. Is he better than DeSean Jackson? Neither is great.

Jackson is going to command at least 10 million per. Is he worth it? At the age of 29 and soon to be 30? More importantly, how does he fair with a new system and a new team? Minnesota thought Bernard Berrian was a top 10 talent. Jerry Angelo did not. Kudos to him for knowing better.

Traditionally each year at this time we've blasted Angelo for not making moves. One thing JA was good at was staying away from paying a good player "great" money. He swung and missed to often, but he brought us Cutler and Peppers.

Does anybody else have a bad feeling about overpaying for a mediocre WR?

True, but there's 20 WR's you could consider a top 10 talent. Hell, you could argue Jackson vs. Colston for starters. Is he better than DeSean Jackson? Neither is great.

Jackson is going to command at least 10 million per. Is he worth it? At the age of 29 and soon to be 30? More importantly, how does he fair with a new system and a new team? Minnesota thought Bernard Berrian was a top 10 talent. Jerry Angelo did not. Kudos to him for knowing better.

Traditionally each year at this time we've blasted Angelo for not making moves. One thing JA was good at was staying away from paying a good player "great" money. He swung and missed to often, but he brought us Cutler and Peppers.

For Vincent Jackson, he has a few killer stats: 83% of his catches go for a 1st Down, and he only has one fumble in his entire career. Besides the 3 out last 4 years with a 1,000 yards and averaging 18 a catch and 8 TDs.

Jackson is significantly better than Berrian.... Berrian was only a deep ball threat.

We are desperate. It's not like we have anyone... If not him, Colston is fine. But we need a vet that commands respect and can make big plays.

Your bias shows. To say that Jackson is mediocre is simply off base. We still may not want to overpay for him, but he's not mediocre.

I'm not so sure I'd call Jackson "mediocre." He's probably a top 20 WR. In no order.. Jennings, Fitz, Megatron, A.Johnson, S.Johnson, Welker, Marshall, AJ Green, Wallace, Holmes, Britt, Bowe, S.Smith, White, Nicks, D.Jackson, Dez Bryant. That's 17 off the top of my head that are equal to (D.Jackson, Britt, Holmes, Bryant, S.Johnson, Welker) or better (the rest) than Jackson is. You could say Jordy Nelson, Percy Harvin, Reggie Wayne, and Marques Colston are in the discussion as well. I might be leaving a few off as this was off of the top of my head.

I'm not so sure I'd call Jackson "mediocre." He's probably a top 20 WR. In no order.. Jennings, Fitz, Megatron, A.Johnson, S.Johnson, Welker, Marshall, AJ Green, Wallace, Holmes, Britt, Bowe, S.Smith, White, Nicks, D.Jackson, Dez Bryant. That's 17 off the top of my head that are equal to (D.Jackson, Britt, Holmes, Bryant, S.Johnson, Welker) or better (the rest) than Jackson is. You could say Jordy Nelson, Percy Harvin, Reggie Wayne, and Marques Colston are in the discussion as well. I might be leaving a few off as this was off of the top of my head.

He is not the studs that A. Johnson, C Johnson, or Fritz but he is a top 10 WR, top 5 in y per catch, tied for 5th in TD passes. I look at great WR over there years,not just one year.

Jackson is significantly better than Berrian.... Berrian was only a deep ball threat.

We are desperate. It's not like we have anyone... If not him, Colston is fine. But we need a vet that commands respect and can make big plays.

Your bias shows. To say that Jackson is mediocre is simply off base. We still may not want to overpay for him, but he's not mediocre.

Jackson is actually more similar to Berrian than you guys might think. He is primarily known as a deep threat and isn't necessarily known for being a strong slot/middle of the field receiver. That said, a lot of his catches are for first downs, but he isn't exactly the type of guy you throw the ball to at 3rd down and know the chain is moving (vs. a TO in their prime for example, that said, there aren't many players like that). Jackson is not a very strong fundemental wideout, he relies heavily on his pure physical athletism and is lazy which makes me extremely concerned a year or two down the road when he loses that speed (he'll be playing at age 29 this year).