Bears sign G Chilo Rachal

Guest TerraTor

There are first round busts for all positions, but the likelihood of getting a all-pro at LT greatly increases if you pick one up early.

I can't help but point out (again) that both Williams and Carimi were first round picks...picked up early in their respective drafts. They have both yet to prove themselves in their "drafted" position.

And for what it's worth, I saw another poster on another site mention how horrible the San Fran oline was. Apparently they rated down near where the Bears did in "allowed sacks". And they had three first rounders and two second rounders (including Rachal).

Again my opinion continues to be that OL man is not the solution ( or guarantee) at 1st round.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but point out (again) that both Williams and Carimi were first round picks...picked up early in their respective drafts. They have both yet to prove themselves in their "drafted" position.

And for what it's worth, I saw another poster on another site mention how horrible the San Fran oline was. Apparently they rated down near where the Bears did in "allowed sacks". And they had three first rounders and two second rounders (including Rachal).

Again my opinion continues to be that OL man is not the solution ( or guarantee) at 1st round.

Three odds are just far greater that you get a good one the earlier you pick them. Use the Gallery example. He was supposed to make a great tackle and ended up being an ok guard. The later you are drafted, the odds of that decrease, a they just get cut.

First we have a different guy drafting so , I think we need to see what he can do before we compare him to JAs first round choices. The fact is 50% of the first round turns out busts, so its a crap shoot, but the better lineman in the league are high first round picks. There are exceptions to that but 2 out of 3 were in the first round. Rachal at the min. does not have many expectations that come with him. He is a big, nasty attitude type that may get his short comings corrected in a fresh start with a new team.

Money with TO? I don't think it'd be as big of a problem since he's out of the league and virtually nobody is taking a look.

Expectations? Minimal. It's a shot in the dark hoping he has gas in the tank.

How much he needs the ball and the drama? If he whines, he's cut. What's difficult about that?

You cant really compare TO to signing Rachel, number one there is 9 years different in age and if your going to roll the dice, 28 is a better age to have someone than wont give you a one year and done. TO is getting no attention from anybody, and I think there must be a reason, and its not just because he is a pud, I would say he just cant run anymore. Moss gets a chance, because he still can, but doesnt mean he will be that good again, plus he isnt getting the vet min. salary. We gave a one year diva a chance last year, and I doubt if Williams will even make someones roster.

You've severely narrowed down the data set by just using 1st round OLinemen drafted by the Bears. All it proves is the Bears have had either bad luck, or bad evaluations.

The overall numbers for all OL players say an overwhelming number of better players are drafted in the first round.

You cant really compare TO to signing Rachel, number one there is 9 years different in age and if your going to roll the dice, 28 is a better age to have someone than wont give you a one year and done. TO is getting no attention from anybody, and I think there must be a reason, and its not just because he is a pud, I would say he just cant run anymore. Moss gets a chance, because he still can, but doesnt mean he will be that good again, plus he isnt getting the vet min. salary. We gave a one year diva a chance last year, and I doubt if Williams will even make someones roster.

All valid points (particularly the age issue), but they gave the chance to the wrong diva. Roy Williams was never the player either TO or Moss was. Given my choice, I'd rather spend on an older, proven guy than a younger scrub (as you alluded to). Both can be cut, but there's a better probability that the older proven player will be the only one who produces on the field.

You've severely narrowed down the data set by just using 1st round OLinemen drafted by the Bears. All it proves is the Bears have had either bad luck, or bad evaluations.

The overall numbers for all OL players say an overwhelming number of better players are drafted in the first round.

Uhm... Maybe you missed the part I included about the San Fran line not being that good, despite having THREE first rounders and two second rounders (when Rachal was a starter).

Some perspective.... http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/03/30/is...e-probably-not/

As it stands from what I read he is very emotional type and it reflected in his play. Harbaugh is a in your face coach. You love him or you hate him, This guy may man out to be the next Tate type player. It goes back to Spencer being labeled as the only center on the bears. Not G/C like Garza and E.Williams. If this guy pans out like I think he will, Garza Rachel at Guard Spencer at center Carimi9 and C Williams as tackles. That line will be much better then any line we had in the last 5 years.

A couple seasons ago, and really heading into last year before the Spencer deal, our Oline depth was a bunch of guys with potential. Nobody could say anything about guys like E. Williams or some of the other guys we've had as backups. Now we have two backup OG in Spencer and Rachal who were both early round picks and both have played a lot of games. Despite the questions around Rachal both of these guys represent a big upgrade in Oline depth. Take away the question marks on the LT spot and we wouldn't be talking much about Oline for this draft in the early rounds. With the exception of Jason of course. :)

A couple seasons ago, and really heading into last year before the Spencer deal, our Oline depth was a bunch of guys with potential. Nobody could say anything about guys like E. Williams or some of the other guys we've had as backups. Now we have two backup OG in Spencer and Rachal who were both early round picks and both have played a lot of games. Despite the questions around Rachal both of these guys represent a big upgrade in Oline depth. Take away the question marks on the LT spot and we wouldn't be talking much about Oline for this draft in the early rounds. With the exception of Jason of course. :)

While they represent an upgrade in o-line depth, they're not an overall upgrade.

You say, "Take away the question marks on the LT spot and we wouldn't be talking much about Oline for this draft." That's like saying if you have Aaron Rogers, you're not talking about upgrading the QB spot. The fact is the position is questionable, Carimi is unproven, and nobody else is distinguishing themselves.

While they represent an upgrade in o-line depth, they're not an overall upgrade.

You say, "Take away the question marks on the LT spot and we wouldn't be talking much about Oline for this draft." That's like saying if you have Aaron Rogers, you're not talking about upgrading the QB spot. The fact is the position is questionable, Carimi is unproven, and nobody else is distinguishing themselves.

No you are using the wrong analogy. I said our LT spot is a concern but aside from that, given that we have more competition for our interior spots on the Oline for the backup roles the line has improved. Set the LT position aside from the discussion (i.e. take away the question marks on the LT ) and go from LG to RT. Is there a glaring a need to put a 1st, or 2nd rd pick on fixing those spots? You might feel there is but I don't. Getting to the 3rd rd there might be a talent there to good to pass up if someone falls but otherwise I'm content grabbing a guy in the later rounds. Again, if we are not considering the LT need, then in Rd 1 and 2 I prefer to address DE and one of WR/CB/DT or LB.

Now if the plan is to put Williams back at OT to compete for either starting LT (or be backup OT) then the need to find interior help early in the draft increases and it should be addressed in the early rounds but I think a good OG could be found in Rd 2, and preferably Rd 3. If Williams stays as LG there is still a need IMO to find help early in the draft to fix LT but that doesn't change the fact that I think from LG to RT we have a good Oline.

IIRC two seasons ago we were talking about Johan Asiata stepping up and being a solid backup or possibly a starter. Where is he now? Who was Edwin Williams when we brought him in? I see a big difference in the quality of the backup talent Emery is bringing to our roster versus what JA brought in. I really like having some experienced players in Spencer (JA guy) and Rachal competing with young inexperienced players for jobs. May the best man win. I didn't say Rachal pushed our starting Oline talent up a notch because we still must solidify the LT position but he does increase the talent level and competiton of the backup depth. I view that as a positive plus Emery has only been at this for a couple months and hasn't even had his first draft yet.

The $64,000 question is: Does Tice see LT as that big of a need?

No you are using the wrong analogy. I said our LT spot is a concern but aside from that, given that we have more competition for our interior spots on the Oline for the backup roles the line has improved. Set the LT position aside from the discussion (i.e. take away the question marks on the LT ) and go from LG to RT. Is there a glaring a need to put a 1st, or 2nd rd pick on fixing those spots? You might feel there is but I don't. Getting to the 3rd rd there might be a talent there to good to pass up if someone falls but otherwise I'm content grabbing a guy in the later rounds. Again, if we are not considering the LT need, then in Rd 1 and 2 I prefer to address DE and one of WR/CB/DT or LB.

Now if the plan is to put Williams back at OT to compete for either starting LT (or be backup OT) then the need to find interior help early in the draft increases and it should be addressed in the early rounds but I think a good OG could be found in Rd 2, and preferably Rd 3. If Williams stays as LG there is still a need IMO to find help early in the draft to fix LT but that doesn't change the fact that I think from LG to RT we have a good Oline.

IIRC two seasons ago we were talking about Johan Asiata stepping up and being a solid backup or possibly a starter. Where is he now? Who was Edwin Williams when we brought him in? I see a big difference in the quality of the backup talent Emery is bringing to our roster versus what JA brought in. I really like having some experienced players in Spencer (JA guy) and Rachal competing with young inexperienced players for jobs. May the best man win. I didn't say Rachal pushed our starting Oline talent up a notch because we still must solidify the LT position but he does increase the talent level and competiton of the backup depth. I view that as a positive plus Emery has only been at this for a couple months and hasn't even had his first draft yet.

here is a 5,000 comment, yes yes yes. Depends on who is available in the first spot.

Bullshit. One of the guys you're talking about isn't getting a look from any team outside the ARENA LEAGUE. How much "infinite talent" do you suppose that guy still has?

He's not being ignored because his lack of talent. He's being ignored because he creates drama and causes problems in the locker room. To say otherwise is ignorant. He's clearly better than many other WRs currently in the NFL, and definitely better than the #3 on any team.

I realize it's a subtle jab, but if the LT spot were shored up and people began to ignore the flaws of other players, then it's the same problem we've been witnessing for several years. It's not like either Williams was a dominant Guard or Garza was an all-pro Center. Edwin Williams is lucky to be in the NFL, and neither of the other two were great. They were average, and average doesn't cut it in the NFL.

To me, it's simple:

Webb sucks. He's probably the worst OLineman in the NFL. Therefore he needs to be replaced. The options are:

1) Williams

2) Carimi

3) Draft pick

If it's Williams, there is a massive hole at LG.

If it's Carimi, there is a massive hole at RT.

No matter what - and add in the fact that Louis wasn't exactly dominant at RG, merely average - there is definitely a need, under any scenario, for a high draft pick for the OL.

He's not being ignored because his lack of talent. He's being ignored because he creates drama and causes problems in the locker room. To say otherwise is ignorant. He's clearly better than many other WRs currently in the NFL, and definitely better than the #3 on any team.

Its a mute point because no one will know how well he may play or whether he sucks, because , no matter what the reason, he will never play in the NFL again.

To me, it's simple:

Webb sucks. He's probably the worst OLineman in the NFL. Therefore he needs to be replaced. The options are:

1) Williams

2) Carimi

3) Draft pick

If it's Williams, there is a massive hole at LG.

If it's Carimi, there is a massive hole at RT.

No matter what - and add in the fact that Louis wasn't exactly dominant at RG, merely average - there is definitely a need, under any scenario, for a high draft pick for the OL.

LT is still a big problem and I'd say we try to fill it with Wiliams or Carimi and draft a possible RT.

Its a mute point because no one will know how well he may play or whether he sucks, because , no matter what the reason, he will never play in the NFL again.

Moot. Sorry, pet peeve.

Regardless, I don't agree with Jason (or you totally) on this. I think he's not getting looks because his talent has slipped while his high opinion of himself hasn't appropriately adjusted. Anyone else would be humbled by what's happened to him over the last few years. Not TO. He's just as big an asshole today as he's ever been. And no, he isn't better than anyone's #3 in the league. That's dumb, Jason. He hasn't proven he can even perform at an NFL level since people wrote him off. Even the Bears SHOULD be able to find WR's who are better than this fossil, no matter their history of not being able to draft or find FA help on the offensive side of the ball for most of my adult life. Hopefully the new sheriff will prove more capable than Jerry.

Marvin Harrison walked away from the game after 2008. He's only one year older than TO. And he's never been an on-field distraction like Jason's top free agent choice. Randy Moss played for three teams in 2010 and totaled a whooping 28 receptions. He didn't play last year. He's 35. THIRTY-FIVE!!! TO is 38 and has played 15 years, 16 if you count last year when he sat. Harrison only played 13 seasons. There's absolutely no reason to believe Jason, who hasn't seen TO perform any more recently than the GM's in the NFL have, that this douche has anything left in the tank. And when you add his history to the mix, it's ludicrous to even consider adding this cancer to your team.

Moot. Sorry, pet peeve.

Regardless, I don't agree with Jason (or you totally) on this. I think he's not getting looks because his talent has slipped while his high opinion of himself hasn't appropriately adjusted. Anyone else would be humbled by what's happened to him over the last few years. Not TO. He's just as big an asshole today as he's ever been. And no, he isn't better than anyone's #3 in the league. That's dumb, Jason. He hasn't proven he can even perform at an NFL level since people wrote him off. Even the Bears SHOULD be able to find WR's who are better than this fossil, no matter their history of not being able to draft or find FA help on the offensive side of the ball for most of my adult life. Hopefully the new sheriff will prove more capable than Jerry.

Marvin Harrison walked away from the game after 2008. He's only one year older than TO. And he's never been an on-field distraction like Jason's top free agent choice. Randy Moss played for three teams in 2010 and totaled a whooping 28 receptions. He didn't play last year. He's 35. THIRTY-FIVE!!! TO is 38 and has played 15 years, 16 if you count last year when he sat. Harrison only played 13 seasons. There's absolutely no reason to believe Jason, who hasn't seen TO perform any more recently than the GM's in the NFL have, that this douche has anything left in the tank. And when you add his history to the mix, it's ludicrous to even consider adding this cancer to your team.

Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!!

Moot. Sorry, pet peeve.

It's not dumb. There are only a handful of teams that even make a comparison worthwhile. The Giants, Colts, Packers, and Saints are the only teams I can think of that have a #3 who could even compare with TO.

Also, he's not my top FA choice, I just think it's stupid to ignore a guy who could help the team at a position of need. He's better than every WR currently on the roster other than Marshall. And make no mistake, he could help the team. Comparing him to Harrison is apples and oranges because they are two different types of WRs, Harrison has nowhere near the physique of TO, and just two years ago (when TO was in the league), he was still tearing opposing DBs new assholes on a regular basis. Less than a full season and he had nearly 1000 yards and 10 TDs. He plays a full season and those numbers are easily attained. He's not going to be the #1 any more, but to totally disregard him is stupid of the Bears in my opinion. If the Bears had a stable of WRs like the teams mentioned above, then of course I agree with you. Why waste the time? But the simple fact remains, the Bears don't have those WRs.

We'll probably never know because TO won't make it back into the NFL, but you can't honestly believe he's not better than a very large number of WRs who are currently occupying roster spots. That's just an ignorant thought. Of course he's better than at the very least most #3 WRs in the NFL, and probably more than that. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise. It's because of this that I honestly think it's a case of being black-balled (justified or not I won't argue). GMs would much rather see a #3 guy who won't cause problems than take a chance with TO. I can't argue the cancer angle; I've never disagreed with it. If that's the major sore spot, then I get it. But to act like this guy is washed up because of his age is just crazy talk for a guy who has kept himself in unbelievable condition over the course of his career. His body, while chronologically mid-30s, is probably a lot closer to mid-20s healthwise. The dude came back from a catastrophic injury in record time to perform in a Super Bowl and has gone through all sorts of craziness, receiving the most complex and advanced treatment in the world to recover from injuries. Again, look at what he did in 2010. Top 20 in nearly every category: yards, TDs, longest reception, receptions per game, yards per game.

Anyone who doesn't think he'd help the Bears on the field must not want any WRs in the draft, because it's an opinion that says, "hey, the WRs are good to go!" If a person's primary issue is TO's locker room antics, then I get it. I just think the gamble is worth it for what he could potentially provide between the stripes.

If a person's primary issue is TO's locker room antics, then I get it. I just think the gamble is worth it for what he could potentially provide between the stripes.

Obviously most people take character into account. I guess you don't. And no, I don't think you can say he's got the body of a 25 year old. That's silly. He's a beat up late 30's washed up receiver until he proves otherwise. And I don't see him getting that shot. No GM in the league agrees with you. Not one.

He did push-ups in his driveway all season last year and nobody called. Poor baby.

Moot. Sorry, pet peeve.

Pet peeve-I'm a plumber not a Rhoades scholar, I just dont take time to proof my responses.

It's not dumb. There are only a handful of teams that even make a comparison worthwhile. The Giants, Colts, Packers, and Saints are the only teams I can think of that have a #3 who could even compare with TO.

Also, he's not my top FA choice, I just think it's stupid to ignore a guy who could help the team at a position of need. He's better than every WR currently on the roster other than Marshall. And make no mistake, he could help the team. Comparing him to Harrison is apples and oranges because they are two different types of WRs, Harrison has nowhere near the physique of TO, and just two years ago (when TO was in the league), he was still tearing opposing DBs new assholes on a regular basis. Less than a full season and he had nearly 1000 yards and 10 TDs. He plays a full season and those numbers are easily attained. He's not going to be the #1 any more, but to totally disregard him is stupid of the Bears in my opinion. If the Bears had a stable of WRs like the teams mentioned above, then of course I agree with you. Why waste the time? But the simple fact remains, the Bears don't have those WRs.

We'll probably never know because TO won't make it back into the NFL, but you can't honestly believe he's not better than a very large number of WRs who are currently occupying roster spots. That's just an ignorant thought. Of course he's better than at the very least most #3 WRs in the NFL, and probably more than that. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise. It's because of this that I honestly think it's a case of being black-balled (justified or not I won't argue). GMs would much rather see a #3 guy who won't cause problems than take a chance with TO. I can't argue the cancer angle; I've never disagreed with it. If that's the major sore spot, then I get it. But to act like this guy is washed up because of his age is just crazy talk for a guy who has kept himself in unbelievable condition over the course of his career. His body, while chronologically mid-30s, is probably a lot closer to mid-20s healthwise. The dude came back from a catastrophic injury in record time to perform in a Super Bowl and has gone through all sorts of craziness, receiving the most complex and advanced treatment in the world to recover from injuries. Again, look at what he did in 2010. Top 20 in nearly every category: yards, TDs, longest reception, receptions per game, yards per game.

Anyone who doesn't think he'd help the Bears on the field must not want any WRs in the draft, because it's an opinion that says, "hey, the WRs are good to go!" If a person's primary issue is TO's locker room antics, then I get it. I just think the gamble is worth it for what he could potentially provide between the stripes.

He might make the top 100, but (who cares) NOBODY wants him but you.He may suprize someone and can still play but his bridges are all gone at 38. Your opinion of him just doesnt matter because the people who run football teams dont want him, and I know they are smarter than me.

I dunno. He didn't look very good to me when he was playing Arena football.

Obviously most people take character into account. I guess you don't. And no, I don't think you can say he's got the body of a 25 year old. That's silly. He's a beat up late 30's washed up receiver until he proves otherwise. And I don't see him getting that shot. No GM in the league agrees with you. Not one.

He did push-ups in his driveway all season last year and nobody called. Poor baby.

I think me most people are done with TO because he simply can not run anymore. They always put up with his crap as long as he could play. He's done. Hes not better now than Bennet or Hester. Give it up Jason.