Emery may be smarter than you think

BearFan PHX

What if Emery is smarter than you think?

First off, he graded McClellin above other DE end options because "He showed us some natural things that the other ends did not show us to as high a level," Emery said. "His ability to bend, his pad level, to get from blocker to ball, to close the gap as quickly as possible … we felt was better than most of the rest of the class."

SO straight up we liked this kid better than the others. It was said that GB and New England were looking at him too, so maybe Emery saw something. But there's more.

Emery kept praising his versatility.

In this article, Dan Pompei hints at it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,6839323.column

Pompei says "There is a hidden advantage with McClellin. If the Bears change their defensive scheme, he will adapt."

What if Emery isn't really planning on keeping Lovie around forever. What if he wasn't going to find a one gap DT and be stuck with a player that doesn't fit Bill Cowher's (or whomever's) scheme? McClellin is a player, and he can be moved around. He'll be a fine 4-3 DE. But he doesn't paint us into a box if Emery is planning something next year for Lovie, and a new defensive scheme.

I think I like this Emery guy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Emery is smarter than you think?

First off, he graded McClellin above other DE end options because "He showed us some natural things that the other ends did not show us to as high a level," Emery said. "His ability to bend, his pad level, to get from blocker to ball, to close the gap as quickly as possible … we felt was better than most of the rest of the class."

SO straight up we liked this kid better than the others. It was said that GB and New England were looking at him too, so maybe Emery saw something. But there's more.

Emery kept praising his versatility.

In this article, Dan Pompei hints at it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,6839323.column

Pompei says "There is a hidden advantage with McClellin. If the Bears change their defensive scheme, he will adapt."

What if Emery isn't really planning on keeping Lovie around forever. What if he wasn't going to find a one gap DT and be stuck with a player that doesn't fit Bill Cowher's (or whomever's) scheme? McClellin is a player, and he can be moved around. He'll be a fine 4-3 DE. But he doesn't paint us into a box if Emery is planning something next year for Lovie, and a new defensive scheme.

I think I like this Emery guy.

That's quite a mouthful to chew, but if the intent was draft a versatile guy for a defensive scheme that would be in existence AFTER Lovie Smith - with the obvious indication Lovie Smith is not necessarily favored - then I think it's a world-class Chess move and Emery needs to start placing calls to Kasparov and Bobby Fischer.

That's quite a mouthful to chew, but if the intent was draft a versatile guy for a defensive scheme that would be in existence AFTER Lovie Smith - with the obvious indication Lovie Smith is not necessarily favored - then I think it's a world-class Chess move and Emery needs to start placing calls to Kasparov and Bobby Fischer.

Let me add to this your thoughts: Why would me make every off-season move with a "win now" attitude, only to draft a guy who doesn't fit the scheme so the coach will get fired and hope the next coach is a 3-4 guy? That's a stretch.

Let me add to this your thoughts: Why would me make every off-season move with a "win now" attitude, only to draft a guy who doesn't fit the scheme so the coach will get fired and hope the next coach is a 3-4 guy? That's a stretch.

I agree; it's a stretch.

But it's not like Bush can't be a #2 RB and Marshall can't be a #1 WR in another system.

I agree; it's a stretch.

But it's not like Bush can't be a #2 RB and Marshall can't be a #1 WR in another system.

But Lovie still has two years on his contract and you don't fire him if he's winning.

More importantly, McClellin isn't THAT big of a stretch for a "Lovie" pick. Lovie LOVES undersized speed guys. It's not like we drafted a big-fat 3-4 nose tackle.

If Emery did want to switch to a 3-4, he'd be better off blowing the defense up and starting over.

Shea McClellin is NOT the eventual replacement to Urlacher when he retires. I do not want Shea McClellin dropping back in pass coverage every play, which brings him a step further from reaching the quarterback. He is a pass rusher first and a pass rusher second. He does not have the skill required to be a MLB. His best position would be whatever Clay Matthews plays for the Packers, OLB in a 3-4. That way, he can use the speed to his advantage by getting a head start on OL and doesn't have to get mauled against run plays where he's going to be asked to shed blocks.

The only logical reasoning behind this pick as I've said is that Emery plans to change schemes after he fires Lovie next year and moves the kid to OLB. After a day's rest of trying to cool some steam, I still hate the pick. It may be unfair to the kid but I'm always going to think of Dan Bazuin or Nick Reed the first time I see him on the field, and until he proves me wrong, that's the way I'm going to think of him. Hopefully Game 1 of the season he winds up with 3 sacks and a forced fumble and I can forgive Emery.

Shea McClellin is NOT the eventual replacement to Urlacher when he retires. I do not want Shea McClellin dropping back in pass coverage every play, which brings him a step further from reaching the quarterback. He is a pass rusher first and a pass rusher second. He does not have the skill required to be a MLB. His best position would be whatever Clay Matthews plays for the Packers, OLB in a 3-4. That way, he can use the speed to his advantage by getting a head start on OL and doesn't have to get mauled against run plays where he's going to be asked to shed blocks.

The only logical reasoning behind this pick as I've said is that Emery plans to change schemes after he fires Lovie next year and moves the kid to OLB. After a day's rest of trying to cool some steam, I still hate the pick. It may be unfair to the kid but I'm always going to think of Dan Bazuin or Nick Reed the first time I see him on the field, and until he proves me wrong, that's the way I'm going to think of him. Hopefully Game 1 of the season he winds up with 3 sacks and a forced fumble and I can forgive Emery.

He was never drafted to play OLB, some projected him as that because he fits there scheme at that position. He played DE in college and because of his skill set, they played him all over the field. The way I see it, I have read NE and GB would have drafted him with there picks. I would say good company as far as teams go. Keep in mind, Mathis 6-1/245, Feeney 6-1 268,Suggs 6-3/260,Aldon Smith 6-4/260. Any of them remind you of Dan Bazum?

He was never drafted to play OLB, some projected him as that because he fits there scheme at that position. He played DE in college and because of his skill set, they played him all over the field. The way I see it, I have read NE and GB would have drafted him with there picks. I would say good company as far as teams go. Keep in mind, Mathis 6-1/245, Feeney 6-1 268,Suggs 6-3/260,Aldon Smith 6-4/260. Any of them remind you of Dan Bazum?

Stop bringing these facts to the party, we would have been better drafting a normal size DE like Mercilius......

Keep in mind, Mathis 6-1/245, Feeney 6-1 268,Suggs 6-3/260,Aldon Smith 6-4/260. Any of them remind you of Dan Bazum?

No because they are all black

Stop bringing these facts to the party, we would have been better drafting a normal size DE like Mercilius......

More like Chandler Jones, who has the frame to put on weight, but I'd take Mercilus. At least he played in the Big 10 and not a school that dominates it's competition by playing the North Dakota States of the world.

If we had chosen Whitney Mercilus few would be making the argument that he is too small as a DE for out system.

Mercilus is 6'3" 260 lbs.

Shea McClellin is 6'3" 260 lbs.

The big difference?

Combine numbers very similar, with Shea better in items requiring speed

The main difference I see is Shea was an outstanding player for 3 years and Mercilus had one good year

Yes, Boise State is not a powerhouse, but is ASU?

Let's give this guy a chance and for now let's give Emery some credit for filling a need.

No because they are all black

More like Chandler Jones, who has the frame to put on weight, but I'd take Mercilus. At least he played in the Big 10 and not a school that dominates it's competition by playing the North Dakota States of the world.

I've seen this a couple of times now, not sure what color has to do with anything. The point is that for all of the people crying about size can look at these guys as similar sized DE's that are productive.

And

You do realize that SMC is as big, faster, and has been more productive than Mercilus. You actually made me laugh when touting the Big Ten as a tough conference.

I've seen this a couple of times now, not sure what color has to do with anything.

Because Dan Bazuin is white, why would I associate a black guy to Dan Bazuin?

The point is that for all of the people crying about size can look at these guys as similar sized DE's that are productive.

Mercilus lead the FBS in total sacks and forced fumbles in a much tougher conference than the Mountain West. You don't just wake up one day and record 16 sacks and force 9 fumbles because you're lucky.

And

You do realize that SMC is as big, faster, and has been more productive than Mercilus.

Mercilus is a 3 year player, McClellin played 4 years and recorded a grand total of 2 more sacks. Who's to say Mercilus wouldn't have put up another double digit sack total if he had stayed another year?

You actually made me laugh when touting the Big Ten as a tough conference.

Hmm Lets compare the two conferences for a second.

Big Ten

University of Michigan

Northwestern University

University of Minnesota

The Ohio State University

Purdue University

University of Wisconsin

The Pennsylvania State University

University of Illinois

Indiana University

Michigan State University

University of Nebraska

University of Iowa

Mountain West Conference

United States Air Force Academy

Boise State University

Colorado State University

University of Nevada

University of New Mexico

San Diego State University

Texas Christian University

University of Wyoming

Remind me again who plays in the tougher conference? It's not like Whitney only beat up on bad teams, he produced against both. 7 of his 16 sacks came from Ohio State, Penn State, Arizona State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That's almost half his sack total from the year coming against good competition. 2 were in the BCS.

McClellin didn't play but a small handful of quality teams in the past two seasons. Keep in mind how many games ended in blowouts which puts any pass rusher in the most ideal situation possible.

Because Dan Bazuin is white, why would I associate a black guy to Dan Bazuin?

Mercilus lead the FBS in total sacks and forced fumbles in a much tougher conference than the Mountain West. You don't just wake up one day and record 16 sacks and force 9 fumbles because you're lucky.

Mercilus is a 3 year player, McClellin played 4 years and recorded a grand total of 2 more sacks. Who's to say Mercilus wouldn't have put up another double digit sack total if he had stayed another year?

Hmm Lets compare the two conferences for a second.

Big Ten

University of Michigan

Northwestern University

University of Minnesota

The Ohio State University

Purdue University

University of Wisconsin

The Pennsylvania State University

University of Illinois

Indiana University

Michigan State University

University of Nebraska

University of Iowa

Mountain West Conference

United States Air Force Academy

Boise State University

Colorado State University

University of Nevada

University of New Mexico

San Diego State University

Texas Christian University

University of Wyoming

Remind me again who plays in the tougher conference?

Again, the more you quote color, the more ignorant you look. Compares sizes, speeds, positions, etc. Race has nothing to do with it.

"Mercilus lead the FBS in total sacks and forced fumbles in a much tougher conference than the Mountain West. You don't just wake up one day and record 16 sacks and force 9 fumbles because you're lucky."

Well he basically woke up his last year and put up those numbers, there is a legit concern over him being a one year wonder.

Again, Mercilus put up his stats in one year, what happened in year 1 and 2???? Who is to say that he would have had another year like this one?

Remind me again who plays in the tougher conference?

I never said that Mercilus didnt play in a better conference. But you threw the Big Ten out there likes its the SEC. The Big Ten is not a very good conference.

Two things.

1) Im not saying Emery did this to help Lovie out the door, just to not paint himself into a corner should that occur.

2) Bears4Ever: the race thing is so dumb it makes you look like a total idiot. You wanna tell me someone came from the projects so they're tough? Fine. But if all you've got is skin tone, then you must be a complete idiot.

Again, the more you quote color, the more ignorant you look. Compares sizes, speeds, positions, etc. Race has nothing to do with it.

There is nothing ignorant with what I said. The question called for a comparison. You wouldn't associate Brian Urlacher to Ray Lewis when someone asks you who he reminds you of would you? No. You are more likely to compare Urlacher to another white MLB with similar skill sets. In basketball, you wouldn't associate a player Steve Nash to Rajon Rondo even though both players share similar court vision on the floor and are able to make incredible passes. You would be more likely to compare Steve Nash to John Stockton because of the obvious. That's all. No harm no foul.

Well he basically woke up his last year and put up those numbers, there is a legit concern over him being a one year wonder.

Of course there is. But there is also legit concern over Shea McClellin. Even more so considering he was being touted by mostly 3-4 teams, regardless of whether or not he played DE for Boise State. That happens all the time. The rarity is taking an OLB and converting him into a DE.

Again, Mercilus put up his stats in one year, what happened in year 1 and 2???? Who is to say that he would have had another year like this one?

He got better? He was given more opportunities to play and had only 2 starts his sophomore season. It's highly highly unlikely that he goes from a 16 sack season to 1, assuming he was injury free. 16 probably wouldn't happen again, but only 1? That's extremely hard to imagine.

I never said that Mercilus didnt play in a better conference. But you threw the Big Ten out there likes its the SEC. The Big Ten is not a very good conference.

Don't lose sight of what we are comparing here. We aren't comparing Whitney Mercilus competition to Michael Brockers, Courtney Upshaw or some other SEC school. You seem to casually dismiss the points that I'm making by beating around the bush. As I mentioned, 7 of Mercilus' 16 sacks came from quality competition. His sample size is small, but so is Shea McClellin's when you factor in the quality of opponent.

There is nothing ignorant with what I said. The question called for a comparison. You wouldn't associate Brian Urlacher to Ray Lewis when someone asks you who he reminds you of would you? No. You are more likely to compare Urlacher to another white MLB with similar skill sets. In basketball, you wouldn't associate a player Steve Nash to Rajon Rondo even though both players share similar court vision on the floor and are able to make incredible passes. You would be more likely to compare Steve Nash to John Stockton because of the obvious.

Of course there is. But there is also legit concern over Shea McClellin. Even more so considering he was being touted by mostly 3-4 teams, regardless of whether or not he played DE for Boise State. That happens all the time. The rarity is taking an OLB and converting him into a DE.

He got better? He was given more opportunities to play and had only 2 starts his sophomore season. It's highly highly unlikely that he goes from a 16 sack season to 1, assuming he was injury free. 16 probably wouldn't happen again, only 1? That's extremely hard to imagine.

Don't lose sight of what we are comparing here. We aren't comparing Whitney Mercilus competition to Michael Brockers, Courtney Upshaw or some other SEC school. You seem to casually dismiss the points that I'm making by beating around the bush. As I mentioned, 7 of Mercilus' 16 sacks came from quality competition. His sample size is small, but so is Shea McClellin's when you factor in the quality of opponent.

Lets end this racial discussion. I compare guys based upon skill-sets, not color.

Lets end this racial discussion. I compare guys based upon skill-sets, not color.

There is no race discussion. Let's not overreact. I don't have time for people not smart enough to understand the context of the question.

Apologies if there was any offense taken with my comments. Didn't think they needed an explanation being as they were quite innocuous.

There is nothing ignorant with what I said. The question called for a comparison. You wouldn't associate Brian Urlacher to Ray Lewis when someone asks you who he reminds you of would you? No. You are more likely to compare Urlacher to another white MLB with similar skill sets. In basketball, you wouldn't associate a player Steve Nash to Rajon Rondo even though both players share similar court vision on the floor and are able to make incredible passes. You would be more likely to compare Steve Nash to John Stockton because of the obvious. That's all. No harm no foul.

See thats the problem. I wouldn't compare Brian Urlacher to only other white players. I would actually compare him to other Tampa 2 MLB's.

Like Derrick Brooks.

There is no race discussion. Let's not overreact. I don't have time for people not smart enough to understand the context of the question.

Okay dude. And I would compare Urlacher to non white MLB's. Not doing so is not fair to LB's of all colors. Urlacher is one of the best to ever play the game at his respected position. Lewis is better and they are different players but both are outstanding and they are the first two names I'd run out when I talk about modern day great linebackers. Back when Zach Thomas was a beast (in Miami), I never compared him to Urlacher cause of color. They were completely different football players.

In terms of Shea, I'd compare his motor to a Jared Allen and maybe even his speed to a Rosie Colvin type of player.