4 Reasons Why Alshon Jeffery Must Start

Wesson44

Well you have to just look at it. Hester was drafted as a CB not a WR. Jeffrey is a true WR. Jeffrey is 6'4 Hester is 5'11 so who wins in the jump ball situations? Jeffrey. Who was said to have the best hands in the draft? Jeffrey. Now Hester is maybe faster and has the moves to go with the speed,but as a pure throw me the ball type of player its jeffrey over Hester. Jeffrey is in the mold of Marshall and you can not compare Maeshall to Hester. Now he gives the Bears a better chance of winning because you as the other team can not double Hester, Marshall or Jeffrey when they are in the game so one of them will be in one on one coverage. There will be a mismatch because of his height and how he attacks the ball.Plain and simple Jeffrey is a true WR and will be a good one for our team while Hester is a converted CB but playing good as a WR

I'm not trying to flame you on here or anything. I just completely disagree with your assessment.

Jeffery is an awesome prospect. He's big and he can make some hard catches look easy. A year or 2 from now, he has potential to be amazing. That's not today tho. Historically it takes a lot of time for WR's to fully make the transition from college WR to NFL WR. The game is played different, the competition level is higher, the playbooks more complex, there is an unfamiliarity with their QB, and the list goes on and on. Some do make the transition fast, but that's the exception instead of the norm.

David Terrell was a WR with good size and a highly touted WR. He was taken with the 8th pick, the first WR taken off the board. We know how that turned outl. He was a better prospect than Jeffery, but he couldn't make it in the NFL. Right now that is all Jeffery is, he's a prospect. Drake just doesn't have a history of developing prospects, or developing them quickly. It's going to take time.

Devin Hester on the other hand, while an awesome punt returner, he's a WR in the NFL. He's not the best, and he didn't turn into the #1 that Lovie said he would be, but he's a NFL WR. The Bears now finally have their #1 in Brandon Marshall, and that alone is going to lend a lot of stability that there hasn't been to this WR corps that just hasn't been there. WR's were shuffled like crazy, Hester and Bennett, Bennett and Knox, and so on. The addition of Marshall and injury to Knox add some stability. The ducks can start lining up in a row.

IMO, Hester brings the speed to better compliment to Marshall, then fielding a Marshall Lite. This could possibly be a big year for Hester.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there is one thing you are forgetting and that is the size of Jeffrey. This means that Cutler does not have to be perfect with the ball. If you throw it to either Marshall or Jeffrey they can go high above smaller players to get the ball. And he is learning what Cutker will do in camp...so I will see him on the field

I didn't say you wouldn't see him on the field. I don't care how tall he is if he runs the wrong route or runs it incorrectly. When he does run the right route if he doesn't run it well enough to separate every catch is going to be contested. Not all DBs cover like Zach Bowman. Give him some time to grow and learn the role, if he does the basics well enough then he could start but I'm not expecting that coming out of training camp.

If Jeffery is all that, he would've been a top 10 pick and not a 2nd RD. He has to take steps in the NFL and if things are given to him, he won't put in any of the work. Opening day, he will be probably 4th on the depth chart, but later in the season he will hopefully earn more playing time.

I have, as all of you, read a lot of reports about the camps thus far, and it seems that Jeffery is always mentioned as being held out more than once do to "leg issues". The first time was cramping, no big deal. Since then they always say a "minor injury". He participates some, but is held out a lot.

Is anyone else getting a bit concerned? Or is this just being very cautious to make sure nothing happens to the kid before the start of camp in July?

Well you have to just look at it. Hester was drafted as a CB not a WR. Jeffrey is a true WR. Jeffrey is 6'4 Hester is 5'11 so who wins in the jump ball situations? Jeffrey. Who was said to have the best hands in the draft? Jeffrey. Now Hester is maybe faster and has the moves to go with the speed,but as a pure throw me the ball type of player its jeffrey over Hester. Jeffrey is in the mold of Marshall and you can not compare Maeshall to Hester. Now he gives the Bears a better chance of winning because you as the other team can not double Hester, Marshall or Jeffrey when they are in the game so one of them will be in one on one coverage. There will be a mismatch because of his height and how he attacks the ball.Plain and simple Jeffrey is a true WR and will be a good one for our team while Hester is a converted CB but playing good as a WR

1. Now that Hester has been playing WR for several years, the "what position were the drafted"-point is inconsequential.

1a. Bringing up Hester's position is kind of silly since he's potentially the most exciting, elusive, explosive player in NFL history since Barry Sanders.

2. You realize the Bears aren't going to throw 20 jump balls a game, right?

I'm not trying to flame you on here or anything. I just completely disagree with your assessment.

Jeffery is an awesome prospect. He's big and he can make some hard catches look easy. A year or 2 from now, he has potential to be amazing. That's not today tho. Historically it takes a lot of time for WR's to fully make the transition from college WR to NFL WR. The game is played different, the competition level is higher, the playbooks more complex, there is an unfamiliarity with their QB, and the list goes on and on. Some do make the transition fast, but that's the exception instead of the norm.

How then does one explain the likes of Julio Jones or AJ Green or Jordy Nelson?

Agreed.

Bottom line, give the kid some time. In the meantime, Hester will probably do better for all the reasons previously mentioned on numerous threads.

Jeffery will get more and more time to shine as the season progresses. Hopefully he'll make the most of it and become a factor as we ease into the eventual Super Bowl win.

If Jeffery is all that, he would've been a top 10 pick and not a 2nd RD. He has to take steps in the NFL and if things are given to him, he won't put in any of the work. Opening day, he will be probably 4th on the depth chart, but later in the season he will hopefully earn more playing time.

I can't say I'm remotely worried. Yet. And even if he's not 100%, we aren't banking on him 100%. We hope to have him for many moons!

I have, as all of you, read a lot of reports about the camps thus far, and it seems that Jeffery is always mentioned as being held out more than once do to "leg issues". The first time was cramping, no big deal. Since then they always say a "minor injury". He participates some, but is held out a lot.

Is anyone else getting a bit concerned? Or is this just being very cautious to make sure nothing happens to the kid before the start of camp in July?

The exceptions that make the rule...

I hope Jeffrey is one of those too. But, let's not bank on it. Plus Jones was a highly touted guy... Nelson didn't really come on until year 2. Green was a nice surprise.

How then does one explain the likes of Julio Jones or AJ Green or Jordy Nelson?

1. Now that Hester has been playing WR for several years, the "what position were the drafted"-point is inconsequential.

1a. Bringing up Hester's position is kind of silly since he's potentially the most exciting, elusive, explosive player in NFL history since Barry Sanders.

2. You realize the Bears aren't going to throw 20 jump balls a game, right?

First of all it was you that kept harping on the positon changes not me,so get off that secondly i know the Bears are not going to throw 20 jump balls a game that was not the point. The point is that they have now two WR that can win the jump ball match up and Marshall & Jeffrey will both attack the ball instead of just letting it come to them ......thats how Knox,benett and Hester catch the ball.That is one of the reasons why Cutler has thrown so many int's the WR didnt attack the ball. Now as far as jump balls go you(Cutler) can throw a pass not perfect but in the area of Marshall & Jeffrey maybe a little high but they can still make the catch as where it might be out of the reach of our shorter WR's, this gives us a better chance of winning, keeping drives alive and scoring in the red zone.

David Terrell was a WR with good size and a highly touted WR. He was taken with the 8th pick, the first WR taken off the board. We know how that turned outl. He was a better prospect than Jeffery, but he couldn't make it in the NFL. Right now that is all Jeffery is, he's a prospect. Drake just doesn't have a history of developing prospects, or developing them quickly. It's going to take time.

Devin Hester on the other hand, while an awesome punt returner, he's a WR in the NFL. He's not the best, and he didn't turn into the #1 that Lovie said he would be, but he's a NFL WR. The Bears now finally have their #1 in Brandon Marshall, and that alone is going to lend a lot of stability that there hasn't been to this WR corps that just hasn't been there. WR's were shuffled like crazy, Hester and Bennett, Bennett and Knox, and so on. The addition of Marshall and injury to Knox add some stability. The ducks can start lining up in a row.

IMO, Hester brings the speed to better compliment to Marshall, then fielding a Marshall Lite. This could possibly be a big year for Hester.

Historically it takes a lot of time for WR's to fully make the transition from college really???? Have you been watching football lately? Ok I will throw this at you about 1st and 2nd round picks. at WR......if a team needs a WR do you think they will draft a guy and wait 2 years to let him develop? Case in point now look at these named 1st round picks Jerry Rice, Randy Moss. A.J. Green, julio Jones, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith. Dez Bryant,Calvin Johnson, and the list goes on on and all these guys started as rookies for their teams. I dont think Blackmom or Floyd or all the other WR taken before Jeffrey will be sitting their rookie year. The Bears QB(Cutler) asked for bigger WR's so the Bears gave him what he asked for because they know 1. they WR we have could not or did not make catches like Marshall and Jeffrey make, 2. they are creating mismatches that they can take advantage of in the passing game and 3. now the red zone will have a better chance for this team to score because of those height mismatches and teams cant just say and know what the Bears are going to do.

......if a team needs a WR do you think they will draft a guy and wait 2 years to let him develop?

This seems to be the crux of where you differ from the rest of us. You talk like you think a pro team has a choice. The truth is, if the guy is not ready to be a starter you can't just will it. Every team in the NFL passed on Alshon once, yet we drafted Cedric Benson 4th overall and we're still waiting on him to develop...in the sense of being a starting quality RB for us.

Alshon'll either be good or he won't, and if our OL is stable enough, there's no reason coaches shouldn't be able to tell. What the fans or anyone would like to happen just isn't a factor, so there's no reason, either logically or historically, for coaches to make up their mind beforehand.

Don't worry, Alshon will get his snaps. How good he is and how quickly he adjusts will determine how quickly he becomes starter, whether that be by opening day or...never.

Historically it takes a lot of time for WR's to fully make the transition from college really???? Have you been watching football lately? Ok I will throw this at you about 1st and 2nd round picks. at WR......if a team needs a WR do you think they will draft a guy and wait 2 years to let him develop? Case in point now look at these named 1st round picks Jerry Rice, Randy Moss. A.J. Green, julio Jones, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith. Dez Bryant,Calvin Johnson, and the list goes on on and all these guys started as rookies for their teams. I dont think Blackmom or Floyd or all the other WR taken before Jeffrey will be sitting their rookie year. The Bears QB(Cutler) asked for bigger WR's so the Bears gave him what he asked for because they know 1. they WR we have could not or did not make catches like Marshall and Jeffrey make, 2. they are creating mismatches that they can take advantage of in the passing game and 3. now the red zone will have a better chance for this team to score because of those height mismatches and teams cant just say and know what the Bears are going to do.

First off, jeffery is not a first rounder. Secondly, how did Jonathan Baldwin, Demaryius thomas, DHB, and Craig Davis fare their rookie years? That's a sample of the first round of the last 4 drafts that had a 1st round wr drafted. Jeffery will not be handed the position. If you think it's proper to do, thats another issue.

I kept waiting for David Terrell (1st Rd pick) and the more recent Devin Thomas (2nd Rd pick) to have their names mentioned. The reality is that most teams selecting a WR in Rd 1 have a big need for a WR so there is a reason they see the field early. Plus they need them to develop quicker and since they are losing teams it is not going to affect their W-L percentage. Their eyes are on the future. We have a little bit of a luxury in that we don't have to have Jeffrey as a starter on day one and we have a playoff ready team. It would be great if he earned it but I don't view it as an absolute unless there is an injury.

You stated that people are insinuating Jeffrey will be "sitting" but I haven't seen anyone saying he should just sit on the bench. Most here feel he will (and should) get some playing time from day one and that he will progress throughout the season and earn more playing time and hopefully be a starter by season's end. Hester is going to be a part time WR for us. That means plenty of opportunity for Jeffrey to line up outside with Bennett in the slot.

First of all it was you that kept harping on the positon changes not me,so get off that secondly i know the Bears are not going to throw 20 jump balls a game that was not the point. The point is that they have now two WR that can win the jump ball match up and Marshall & Jeffrey will both attack the ball instead of just letting it come to them ......thats how Knox,benett and Hester catch the ball.That is one of the reasons why Cutler has thrown so many int's the WR didnt attack the ball. Now as far as jump balls go you(Cutler) can throw a pass not perfect but in the area of Marshall & Jeffrey maybe a little high but they can still make the catch as where it might be out of the reach of our shorter WR's, this gives us a better chance of winning, keeping drives alive and scoring in the red zone.

Say it with me:

1. None of these players are Devin Hester.

2. More weight doesn't automatically make someone a better blocker

3. More height doesn't automatically make someone a better pass receiver

Do they weigh more or stand taller? Sure. And if all the battles came down to pure mass or all misthrown balls were just a little high, you'd have a point. I'd say the number of INTs Cutler threw that were directy attributable to WRs not attacking the ball is very minimal. More were caused me QB pressure, bad routes by Knox, and poor throwing mechanics. Jeffery shouldn't be handed the #2 position because he's taller, or because he was drafted higher. If the player in front of him knows the routes and playbook better, steps up during the game, makes clutch catches, and goes all out in all facets of the game, then Jeffery should get the reps he deserves...which is less than the starter.

If you were the GM, we'd draft nothing but 6'6" WRs and 350lb FBs.

Say it with me:

1. None of these players are Devin Hester.

2. More weight doesn't automatically make someone a better blocker

3. More height doesn't automatically make someone a better pass receiver

Do they weigh more or stand taller? Sure. And if all the battles came down to pure mass or all misthrown balls were just a little high, you'd have a point. I'd say the number of INTs Cutler threw that were directy attributable to WRs not attacking the ball is very minimal. More were caused me QB pressure, bad routes by Knox, and poor throwing mechanics. Jeffery shouldn't be handed the #2 position because he's taller, or because he was drafted higher. If the player in front of him knows the routes and playbook better, steps up during the game, makes clutch catches, and goes all out in all facets of the game, then Jeffery should get the reps he deserves...which is less than the starter.

If you were the GM, we'd draft nothing but 6'6" WRs and 350lb FBs.

Jason say this with me.....I Jason dont have a clue!!!!!!!!!!

Devin Hester????? What???? You use of the phrase "doesn't automatically" goes against what you are trying to say because more often than not they help in weight(blocking) height(catching) That is the reason Oline or 324lbs and not 150 lbs that is the reason that tall WR tear up the NFL year after year against a 5'9 to 5'11 DB the height mismatch.

Case in point if you put either Marshall or Jeffrey standing behing Jennings and told them to raise their hands and without jumping catch a ball throw to their hands do you think Jenning has a chance to catch it. That would be a big no!

Now if you lined Tillman Up against melton do you think Tllman has a chance to block or move Melton backwards? Once again no

So weight and height plays a great part in the NFL.

If the player in front of him knows the routes and playbook better, steps up during the game, makes clutch catches, and goes all out in all facets of the game, Show me this player you speak of????

Jason say this with me.....I Jason dont have a clue!!!!!!!!!!

Devin Hester????? What???? You use of the phrase "doesn't automatically" goes against what you are trying to say because more often than not they help in weight(blocking) height(catching) That is the reason Oline or 324lbs and not 150 lbs that is the reason that tall WR tear up the NFL year after year against a 5'9 to 5'11 DB the height mismatch.

Case in point if you put either Marshall or Jeffrey standing behing Jennings and told them to raise their hands and without jumping catch a ball throw to their hands do you think Jenning has a chance to catch it. That would be a big no!

Now if you lined Tillman Up against melton do you think Tllman has a chance to block or move Melton backwards? Once again no

So weight and height plays a great part in the NFL.

If the player in front of him knows the routes and playbook better, steps up during the game, makes clutch catches, and goes all out in all facets of the game, Show me this player you speak of????

Is this serious?

If only Luc Longley played for the Bears instead of the Bulls. The Bears would have won those 3 championships instead. He had height and weight, unstoppable catching and running the ball with that.

Jennings would deflect it easily. If not we would see nonstop go 10 yards and stand there plays, don't worry bout jumping.

Tillman would just easily strip it from the nonrunning back. Tillman wouldn't be in a spot to have to knock him backwards by himself, but yes he could stop him. Not sure why Tillman is blocking, but sure he could.

Is this serious?

Look, I can't help it if he doesn't have a dictionary and can't read the definition for the word "automatically."

Wesson's starting offensive lineup:

QB - Thomas Jones - Afterall, a bigger arm means stronger throws.

RB - Usain Bolt - Dude is the fastest guy on the planet, right?

FB - Bryant McKinnie - 6'8", 360lbs. He would obviously be the best FB of all time. Who could stop him?

WR - Luc Longley. Thanks for that one TD

WR - Omer Asik. Gotta go with another Bull.

TE - Ali Villanueva. 6'11", 285lbs. HA! Cutler just has to throw it in the air like Jeff Blake! UNSTOPPABLE.

LT - Konishiki

LG - John Brower Minnoch - 1400lbs. Try to get around him!

C - Toniu Fonoti - At 320lbs or so he's obviously the lightest, but we need a player at this position who can see past his gut to touch the ball.

RG - Manuel Uribe - 1300lbs. Best OG tandem ever?

RT - Akebono

In all seriousness, if bigger were always better, Wes Welker wouldn't have made the NFL, and the Denver Broncos OL wouldn't have been one of the best for all those years when it was one of the lightest. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutler stand in the pocket behind the fat-OL above for the series they play before they got tired.

Look, I can't help it if he doesn't have a dictionary and can't read the definition for the word "automatically."

Wesson's starting offensive lineup:

QB - Thomas Jones - Afterall, a bigger arm means stronger throws.

RB - Usain Bolt - Dude is the fastest guy on the planet, right?

FB - Bryant McKinnie - 6'8", 360lbs. He would obviously be the best FB of all time. Who could stop him?

WR - Luc Longley. Thanks for that one TD

WR - Omer Asik. Gotta go with another Bull.

TE - Ali Villanueva. 6'11", 285lbs. HA! Cutler just has to throw it in the air like Jeff Blake! UNSTOPPABLE.

LT - Konishiki

LG - John Brower Minnoch - 1400lbs. Try to get around him!

C - Toniu Fonoti - At 320lbs or so he's obviously the lightest, but we need a player at this position who can see past his gut to touch the ball.

RG - Manuel Uribe - 1300lbs. Best OG tandem ever?

RT - Akebono

In all seriousness, if bigger were always better, Wes Welker wouldn't have made the NFL, and the Denver Broncos OL wouldn't have been one of the best for all those years when it was one of the lightest. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutler stand in the pocket behind the fat-OL above for the series they play before they got tired.

Nice line up for your team. But in all seriousness you just dont just the point or try not to value others point a view. I never said bigger, taller is always better, but in fact said it helps to add an extra advantage for our team.But did you take notice...or did you miss coach Tice saying he like the big linemen or did you miss Cutler saying that he wanted WR's 6'2 and above? They say this for a reason! With the WR, look at the links and see how Jeffrey and Mashall out duel/catch smaller DB's and how big they are making them hard to tackle. And then add Hester in the slot?????

Marshall outside WR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-M1SlbJXto...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&...X26vOA&NR=1

jeffrey outside WRhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULKAO6R_0Rg

Hester in the slot

Nice line up for your team. But in all seriousness you just dont just the point or try not to value others point a view. I never said bigger, taller is always better, but in fact said it helps to add an extra advantage for our team.But did you take notice...or did you miss coach Tice saying he like the big linemen or did you miss Cutler saying that he wanted WR's 6'2 and above? They say this for a reason! With the WR, look at the links and see how Jeffrey and Mashall out duel/catch smaller DB's and how big they are making them hard to tackle. And then add Hester in the slot?????

Do you realize the bold part above is unquestionably contradictory? The word better means a player has an advantage.