Aaron Rodgers under pressure

Bears4Ever_34

Aaron Rodgers has been pressured on nearly every snap and already sacked 5 times before the halfway point in the 2nd quarter. Bulaga is getting abused by the rookie Bruce Irvin similar to the Webb/Matthews matchup. This is shaping up to be even more of a disaster than what Cutler was up against last week, yet Rodgers remains composed and hasn't imploded. I don't want to hear any more excuses about Cutler. He's not the only quarterback faced with the task of overcoming a bad offensive line.

Edit: 8 sacks and counting..

Aaron Rodgers has been pressured on nearly every snap and already sacked 5 times before the halfway point in the 2nd quarter. Bulaga is getting abused by the rookie Bruce Irvin similar to the Webb/Matthews matchup. This is shaping up to be even more of a disaster than what Cutler was up against last week, yet Rodgers remains composed and hasn't imploded. I don't want to hear any more excuses about Cutler. He's not the only quarterback faced with the task of overcoming a bad offensive line.

8 sacks in one half = a shitty score... If they don't give him time to throw they will not score much.... Too boot Rodgers as been in the same system with the same WR's for how many years???? How many years has cutlter and company been in this system???? How many years has Tice been an OC?????

Put Rodgers behind the Bears line and guess what happens?

8 sacks in one half = a shitty score... If they don't give him time to throw they will not score much.... Too boot Rodgers as been in the same system with the same WR's for how many years???? How many years has cutlter and company been in this system???? How many years has Tice been an OC?????

Put Rodgers behind the Bears line and guess what happens?

What does any of that have do to with maintaining poise under stress and protecting the football?

Green Bay loses on one of the worst calls you will ever see. It was clearly Offensive Pass interference, then a clear interception, and somehow the refs said it was a TD, and the call stood, wow!!! Green Bay 1-2.

Even with 8 sacks against, Rodgers doesn't throw a single pick though.

And what happened in the second half? Almost zero pressure...and whattaya know? Rodgers does better.

Green Bay loses on one of the worst calls you will ever see. It was clearly Offensive Pass interference, then a clear interception, and somehow the refs said it was a TD, and the call stood, wow!!! Green Bay 1-2.

FYI...an officiating perspective.

1. They NEVER call OPI on a hail mary. Never. He would have had to jump on two guys' backs, put both of them in headlocks, and do it WAY before the ball was close.

2. It was not a clear interception. Simultaneous possession goes to the WR. Gerry Austin has a slanted perspective because he's intimately linked to the locked out officials as well as the college officials who were told that accepting the NFL offer meant the end of their college career. Before the Green Bay DB was grounded there were four hands on the ball, two by each player. And Tirico doesn't know WTF he is talking about. Just think about it - if both players are standing up it's the player who comes down with the ball that is in possession. It doesn't matter whose feet hit first. When they came down with it, if anything the Seattle player was grounded first, and he definitely had two hands on the ball.

Have to say that I agree with you Jason on this one. But Austin was right too. He said that if the Ref (white hat) had done his job he would have made the tiebreaker. But I don't think he would have overruled the TD call. Like you said, the "tie goes to the WR". Replay cannot determine who had possession, just confirming the TD... Which it was.

Man it's crazy how some of you guys make so many excuses for Cutler.. It's baffling.

It's not the fact that Rodgers does better without the pressure, obviously it's easier to perform under those circumstances when you're not getting sacked. If you want to act like that's the point I'm making, then I can't do anything for you.. The point that I am making however, is that when Rodgers was sacked 8 times in a half, in a primetime game, in the loudest outdoor stadium in pro football, he not only was able to remain accurate, but he was also able to stay away from turnovers and keep his team in the game. You guys know as well as I do, if Cutler was sacked 8 times in a half, he'd probably have a handful of turnovers and would have mentally checked out of the game, like he did on Thursday.

And this isn't just about Aaron Rodgers. I don't want to make it seem like Cutler is on the same level as Rodgers as a passer, because he's not. But this should serve as an example of what can happen if you keep your head in the game. The only reason I'm pointing him out is because of what transpired in tonight's game. Eli Manning does the same thing all the time. Greenbay could have very easily imploded, and to Rodger's credit they didn't.

I just don't know when the excuses will stop. Do the Bears need to get a probowl left tackle that suits Cutler as well? How bout an entire cast of pro bowl offensive lineman? Why don't we just replace all our guys with 5 new All pro players? It gets to the point when enough is enough. It's put up or shut up. We got you a new #1 receiver you played with in Denver, not to mention another Probowler in the making in Alshon Jeffery.. We got him a coordinator that gives him free reigns of the offense and a quarterback's coach that he had before in Denver. What more do the Bears have to do before we can criticize Cutler for his poor play?

Believe it or not, both Roethlisberger and Rodgers have been sacked more often than Jay has since he became a Bear, and both guys have won Superbowls. It is possible to win a Championship without an All-Pro cast of offensive lineman. A great quarterback is able to overcome it. He's got the weapons to get the job done right now. It's time for him to meet the challenge.

And that is a problem, how?

Nice to finally see karma getting them after 10+ years of calls going their way...

Your take is how I thought it ent down when I saw it. Listening to the talking heads, this was a worse thing than Lincoln being shot...

Sorry, you don't want to leave the game in the refs hands. Get the ball. Happens in s a scrum all the time, the last guy with the ball gets it.

1. They NEVER call OPI on a hail mary. Never. He would have had to jump on two guys' backs, put both of them in headlocks, and do it WAY before the ball was close.

2. It was not a clear interception. Simultaneous possession goes to the WR. Gerry Austin has a slanted perspective because he's intimately linked to the locked out officials as well as the college officials who were told that accepting the NFL offer meant the end of their college career. Before the Green Bay DB was grounded there were four hands on the ball, two by each player. And Tirico doesn't know WTF he is talking about. Just think about it - if both players are standing up it's the player who comes down with the ball that is in possession. It doesn't matter whose feet hit first. When they came down with it, if anything the Seattle player was grounded first, and he definitely had two hands on the ball.

When I hear a Packer fan complain about the BS pass interference call that extended their TD drive then I'll listen to them complain about the last play of the game. I'll listen but won't care. Plenty of opportunities to win the game well before that and they couldn't do it. Talk about their 8 sacks in the first half...fix that before you even begin to complain about the refs.

not a chance. that was a complete and utter interception without any doubt. hate the packers all you want but that was not even a remotely close call. he caught the ball, pulled the ball into his chest, landed on the ground and maintained possession while the receiver had one arm OVER the defenders arm wrapped around the ball. not even close.

also while i am at it that PI was so obvious and so blatant if you were officiating the game behind the stadium lights you could have called that one. you don't shove a player to the ground with both hands BEFORE the ball even gets close and standing in the CLEAR for the whole world to see with competent refs or anyone who has ever watched more than one NFL game in their lives.

not a chance. that was a complete and utter interception without any doubt. hate the packers all you want but that was not even a remotely close call. he caught the ball, pulled the ball into his chest, landed on the ground and maintained possession while the receiver had one arm OVER the defenders arm wrapped around the ball. not even close.

also while i am at it that PI was so obvious and so blatant if you were officiating the game behind the stadium lights you could have called that one. you don't shove a player to the ground with both hands BEFORE the ball even gets close and standing in the CLEAR for the whole world to see with competent refs or anyone who has ever watched more than one NFL game in their lives.

Not really that obvious at all. The receiver actually had his left arm inside where the ball was and was grasping with his right. And despite that there were two refs RIGHT there with one calling for a TD.

And as far as making every call, it's impossible. What you saw at the end of the game and with what you claim is an "obvious" Off pass interference call equates to the inevitable hold that happens along the line in every play. With a group of guys bunched up like that it would be impossible to clearly make that call.

Man it's crazy how some of you guys make so many excuses for Cutler.. It's baffling.

It's not the fact that Rodgers does better without the pressure, obviously it's easier to perform under those circumstances when you're not getting sacked. If you want to act like that's the point I'm making, then I can't do anything for you.. The point that I am making however, is that when Rodgers was sacked 8 times in a half, in a primetime game, in the loudest outdoor stadium in pro football, he not only was able to remain accurate, but he was also able to stay away from turnovers and keep his team in the game. You guys know as well as I do, if Cutler was sacked 8 times in a half, he'd probably have a handful of turnovers and would have mentally checked out of the game, like he did on Thursday.

And this isn't just about Aaron Rodgers. I don't want to make it seem like Cutler is on the same level as Rodgers as a passer, because he's not. But this should serve as an example of what can happen if you keep your head in the game. The only reason I'm pointing him out is because of what transpired in tonight's game. Eli Manning does the same thing all the time. Greenbay could have very easily imploded, and to Rodger's credit they didn't.

I just don't know when the excuses will stop. Do the Bears need to get a probowl left tackle that suits Cutler as well? How bout an entire cast of pro bowl offensive lineman? Why don't we just replace all our guys with 5 new All pro players? It gets to the point when enough is enough. It's put up or shut up. We got you a new #1 receiver you played with in Denver, not to mention another Probowler in the making in Alshon Jeffery.. We got him a coordinator that gives him free reigns of the offense and a quarterback's coach that he had before in Denver. What more do the Bears have to do before we can criticize Cutler for his poor play?

Believe it or not, both Roethlisberger and Rodgers have been sacked more often than Jay has since he became a Bear, and both guys have won Superbowls. It is possible to win a Championship without an All-Pro cast of offensive lineman. A great quarterback is able to overcome it. He's got the weapons to get the job done right now. It's time for him to meet the challenge.

Hyperbole aside (i.e. all star OL), the bolded part is probably not argued against by many. But the second half was rock-solid by the Packers' OL. I'm sure that provides Rodgers with a lot of confidence, knowing that his guys can put it together on a consistent basis. Sure, they imploded in the first half, but they played pretty well in the second half. Cutler, on the other hand, can never be sure of such a performance, nor can he expect sustained play from his OL.

Nobody is saying Cutler is better than Rodgers, or that other QBs don't face some pressure. Those are both semi-strawmen. The simple fact is, however, that Cutler is probably greatly affected by the fact that the OL can't get their stuff together for more than a few plays in a row, and he is almost assured of taking a beating every game for the near duration of the game. I understand if he's rattled by it.

Sorry, Lucky, but on the OPI you're 100% wrong. That simply never is getting called, from pee-wee to the pros.

As for the catch, I'll make a three part case for dual possession (which goes to the WR) before slightly changing my opinion from last night:

1. The NFL rule for possession says nothing about two hands or anything similar. "When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds."

2. Tate had a hand on the ball.

3. NFL WRs make one-handed catches all the time.

I admit it's a tough call no matter how you slice it, and the safer choice is to go with Jennings over Tate because of the 2 hands vs. 1 hand idea. But keep in mind that the rule says both feet. By the time both of Jennings' feet hit the ground it's pretty clear that Tate is in there with both hands. It doesn't matter if one player has the ball closer to him, or the players' relative position to the ground/each other.

This picture, however, presents a good case for an INT (even though we don't know at what point this was taken):

661956126.jpg

The pass interference play going down the field was a bad call. If anything, Rice was guilty of Offensive Pass Interference.

The ball was clearly intercepted in the end zone by the Packers. No question. Tate never had control of the ball, never. Really bad call. Then to make it even worse, they review the call (which was a call not reviewable) and still get it wrong.

Hey guys, I love it when the Packers lose, I am as big a Bear fan as any of you. But the Packers were ripped off, plain and simple. They should have won. If these same plays were involving the Bears costing the Bears a victory I assure you the views in this thread would be entirely different.

I've watched the play a few more times this morning, and it is clearly an INT. However, because the ruling on the field was TD, the ref needed indisputable evidence that it was an INT, and that is hard to determine outright. Jennings had "more" possession than Tate, but again those are judgment calls. I believe if they were real refs, it would've been an INT. Also, looking back at some other calls, GB got a favorable PI call on their drive that lead to their TD, so SEA would've only needed a FG to win on those last 2 drives.

So overall, GB got what they deserved. They got one call for them and one against them that lead to TD's. On the last play of the game, it should've been ruled an INT.

Hyperbole aside (i.e. all star OL), the bolded part is probably not argued against by many. But the second half was rock-solid by the Packers' OL. I'm sure that provides Rodgers with a lot of confidence, knowing that his guys can put it together on a consistent basis. Sure, they imploded in the first half, but they played pretty well in the second half. Cutler, on the other hand, can never be sure of such a performance, nor can he expect sustained play from his OL.

Nobody is saying Cutler is better than Rodgers, or that other QBs don't face some pressure. Those are both semi-strawmen. The simple fact is, however, that Cutler is probably greatly affected by the fact that the OL can't get their stuff together for more than a few plays in a row, and he is almost assured of taking a beating every game for the near duration of the game. I understand if he's rattled by it.

The other thing I watched happen with the O-Line is that they changed the playcalling up to try to take the pressure off of Rodgers. There were a bunch of quick screen passes and well disguised run plays starting in the 2nd quarter. I didn't watch the 2nd half so I don't know if they gave additional help on the edges or not.

The other thing I watched happen with the O-Line is that they changed the playcalling up to try to take the pressure off of Rodgers. There were a bunch of quick screen passes and well disguised run plays starting in the 2nd quarter. I didn't watch the 2nd half so I don't know if they gave additional help on the edges or not.

To me it seemed like SEA changed their defensive scheme in the 2nd half, which continued to confuse GB.

I just get a kick out of Rodgers having 16 sacks in 3 games. He is on pace for 85 sacks, lol.

Does anyone here think that if the OPI were called on the field that there would be any controversy at all? I dont think so. It was clear.

Nope. They could easily have called it, would have been supported, and would have been right. Some might have said just like Gruden, "You don't decide the game" (which would kind of have made him a hypocrite), but with an OPI that bad it would have been difficult to argue against.

Sorry, Lucky, but on the OPI you're 100% wrong. That simply never is getting called, from pee-wee to the pros.

nope dude, you are way wrong here.

here is what >>USUALLY

1. bumping and shoving as the ball is coming down at the end of it's flight in an attempt to make the catch or knock the ball away as a receiver or defender.

2. receivers and defenders going over the top of the guy in front of them 'within reason' to make an attempted catch or knock down.

what you do NOT see and never will, if the ref is not a blind horse imbecile or reffing 'your' pee-wee game, is a receiver OR defender putting two hands on the back of his opponent and shove him to the ground while the ball is in the air more than halfway to it's destination. i have never seen this go uncalled in over 40 years of watching professional football. it just does not happen and especially if the players are standing in the open for the entire world to see and there is no doubt what-so-ever what that players intentions were.

OR flagrant holding of the opponent. example: both arms wrapped around his body pinning his arms so he is unable to go for the ball. tackling any player while the ball is still in flight and to be quite honest a number of other obvious violations. sorry but hail mary passes do NOT mean you completely throw away the rule books even in todays NFL.

As for the catch, I'll make a three part case for dual possession (which goes to the WR) before slightly changing my opinion from last night:

1. The NFL rule for possession says nothing about two hands or anything similar. "When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds."

2. Tate had a hand on the ball.

3. NFL WRs make one-handed catches all the time.

nope, totally wrong again.

my god when the play ended the receiver was UNDERNEATH the defenders body on the ground (which meant he was downed, play over) and reaching around the defenders arm trying to dislodge the ball the defender was hugging to his chest (he also had complete control of the ball the entire time)!! the stupid ref was standing right over the two players looking down at them. other than a possible gambling fix the only other conclusion has to be the complete incompitence on the refs part to call it any other way.

if the rules read like you state there is no reception rules in existence and it's a free-for-all do-what-you-want game of football that can be called any way at all by the whim of the refs or the people in the booth. so goodbye pro-football it was nice knowing you.

We understand it, but Cutler still has to be able to rise above it, as difficult as I'm sure it is to accomplish, that's what has to happen. But it's not anything new that hasn't been done before by others.

I just don't want to act like Cutler is the only quarterback in the league that has to overcome bad offensive line play, because it's not true.. and yesterday's game is a perfect example of how to deal with it when it happens. Rodgers didn't do anything special yesterday that would have been over and beyond what Cutler is capable of doing. When things went bad Rodgers went to his checkdowns on almost every pass and took what the defense gave him, instead of forcing it down field. Give the Packers a lot of credit in the 2nd half for going to the run game early and often, and picking spots to fit in a little play action/short passing game. That's the part where Mike Tice has to help his quarterback out. So there's a lot of blame to go around, but it ultimately falls on Cutler to not have the defeatist attitude that shows itself in bad moments far too often in big time games. I think it's perfectly fair to say he HAS to be better.

nope dude, you are way wrong here.

here is what >>USUALLY

1. bumping and shoving as the ball is coming down at the end of it's flight in an attempt to make the catch or knock the ball away as a receiver or defender.

2. receivers and defenders going over the top of the guy in front of them 'within reason' to make an attempted catch or knock down.

what you do NOT see and never will, if the ref is not a blind horse imbecile or reffing 'your' pee-wee game, is a receiver OR defender putting two hands on the back of his opponent and shove him to the ground while the ball is in the air more than halfway to it's destination. i have never seen this go uncalled in over 40 years of watching professional football. it just does not happen and especially if the players are standing in the open for the entire world to see and there is no doubt what-so-ever what that players intentions were.

OR flagrant holding of the opponent. example: both arms wrapped around his body pinning his arms so he is unable to go for the ball. tackling any player while the ball is still in flight and to be quite honest a number of other obvious violations. sorry but hail mary passes do NOT mean you completely throw away the rule books even in todays NFL.

nope, totally wrong again.

my god when the play ended the receiver was UNDERNEATH the defenders body on the ground (which meant he was downed, play over) and reaching around the defenders arm trying to dislodge the ball the defender was hugging to his chest (he also had complete control of the ball the entire time)!! the stupid ref was standing right over the two players looking down at them. other than a possible gambling fix the only other conclusion has to be the complete incompitence on the refs part to call it any other way.

if the rules read like you state there is no reception rules in existence and it's a free-for-all do-what-you-want game of football that can be called any way at all by the whim of the refs or the people in the booth. so goodbye pro-football it was nice knowing you.

1. You're still wrong on the OPI. Unless you can find an instance, or multiple instances to prove your point, you're wrong. There have been countless hail mary passes thrown, and I can't recall ever seeing an OPI called. Can you? Go searching for it; you may find one play that supports your side of the debate.

2. I've since reversed my opinion on the final play, but not because it's obvious. The wording of the rules in this case make it somewhat difficult (as I pointed out in the other thread I created), and that's where the officials were wrong.