Bears vs Packers

Bears4Ever_34

I do too. And as others here have noticed (and to a degree what Balta said previously) Cutler has been handed the "keys" and not produced. Could you blame it on the oline and other factors not in Cutler's control? Possibly. But as I've said before, Cutler is an "out of pocket" passer. He has taken some hits over the years because of his affinity to scrambling. That may very well be wearing on him in a few regards both in judgement and urge to run.

As I pointed out in the last game, Campbell was effectively able to put together a scoring drive by using various receivers. Did he audible? Don't know, he used Forte in the passing game. Something I haven't seen a lot of this year. Made a completion to a crossing Adams not a fumbling Davis. And sealed it with a TD pass to Marshall. Probably the only pass he made to him on that drive.

The point being is I like the idea of Cutler being able to take charge when needed. He has the best perspective of what is offered as he is getting ready to set up that play. And when/if he thinks it necessary, audibilize. Worked great for Payton Manning all his years. I'm just not sure that he (Cutler) believes anyone else but Marshall can help him.

This is a chicken-and-egg thing.

Does he take the hits because he scrambles, or, does he scramble because he takes the hits?

I contend that it's the latter. This OL has sucked the entire time he's been in Chicago, and I'm sure it has affected him considerably. Whereas before he might have seen a little pressure and thought, "My guy can hold that off the extra half-second I need to throw this pass," now he sees it and says, "Oh shit, better run."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a chicken-and-egg thing.

Does he take the hits because he scrambles, or, does he scramble because he takes the hits?

I contend that it's the latter. This OL has sucked the entire time he's been in Chicago, and I'm sure it has affected him considerably. Whereas before he might have seen a little pressure and thought, "My guy can hold that off the extra half-second I need to throw this pass," now he sees it and says, "Oh shit, better run."

In the games I've watched, I've consistently wondered why Cutler doesn't scramble more. That was one of the specific things Tice said he wanted to take advantage of with Cutler when he took over as OC; getting him out of the pocket. Instead, I usually feel like I see Cutler trying to stay in the pocket too long when the pocket isn't strong, and holding the ball too long while there (which might be ok with a quality O-line and playcalling, but isn't ok here).

Having the defense forced to sometimes chase a QB around out of the pocket is one way of generating protection when you don't have it. They can't rush straight ahead every time if the QB is going to roll out away from them.

This season Cutler got the key to a Ferrari. However, with the OL, the tires are bald and have caused accidents. We need new tires before we can judge fully Cutler's driving ability...

I do too. And as others here have noticed (and to a degree what Balta said previously) Cutler has been handed the "keys" and not produced. Could you blame it on the oline and other factors not in Cutler's control? Possibly. But as I've said before, Cutler is an "out of pocket" passer. He has taken some hits over the years because of his affinity to scrambling. That may very well be wearing on him in a few regards both in judgement and urge to run.

As I pointed out in the last game, Campbell was effectively able to put together a scoring drive by using various receivers. Did he audible? Don't know, he used Forte in the passing game. Something I haven't seen a lot of this year. Made a completion to a crossing Adams not a fumbling Davis. And sealed it with a TD pass to Marshall. Probably the only pass he made to him on that drive.

The point being is I like the idea of Cutler being able to take charge when needed. He has the best perspective of what is offered as he is getting ready to set up that play. And when/if he thinks it necessary, audibilize. Worked great for Payton Manning all his years. I'm just not sure that he (Cutler) believes anyone else but Marshall can help him.

If the experts are to be believed, there's not much point in watching this game. Bears don't stand a chance. As far as I"m concerned, this game is all about Lovie Smith and his ability to lead a depleted to a must-win victory. The fact that he chose to do a walk-thru instead of have a full practice on Wednesday better pay dividends. I'm sick and tired of losing to the freakin packers, and this bears team should be too. Especially cutler.

If the experts are to be believed, there's not much point in watching this game. Bears don't stand a chance. As far as I"m concerned, this game is all about Lovie Smith and his ability to lead a depleted to a must-win victory. The fact that he chose to do a walk-thru instead of have a full practice on Wednesday better pay dividends. I'm sick and tired of losing to the freakin packers, and this bears team should be too. Especially cutler.

Ah-men to that!

So much for Lovie's first pledge, "Beat GB", how is that working out for you Lovie? I believe we are something like 8-10 against GB under Lovie (2-8 against Rodgers). I almost want to make this Lovie's legacy game. A win puts us in the driver's seat for at least a playoff spot, and keeps the Division Title alive. A loss considerably hurts our playoff chances, and I don't know if we recover with the other hot teams coming up behind us.

To me, going 7-1 and not making the playoffs would be one of the biggest collapses in NFL history, and no coach should be given a free pass, especially considering Lovie got one last year.

It will be incredibly disappointing if this isn't a close game. Don't care how hurt they are.

I don't really have a rhyme or reason for feeling this way, but I think the Bears might actually end up winning this game. I have nothing to base this off of. It's just a feeling. Sooner or later you have to win one of these games against a team that you play twice in one year. I think it's been 6 games since the last time we beat them. Why not now?

I don't really have a rhyme or reason for feeling this way, but I think the Bears might actually end up winning this game. I have nothing to base this off of. It's just a feeling. Sooner or later you have to win one of these games against a team that you play twice in one year. I think it's been 6 games since the last time we beat them. Why not now?

Although my optimism is waning ever so slight, Minnesota had to feel the same way you describe about a week ago. But as I always believe in what Coach Edwards would say; "you play to win the game".