Bears vs Packers

Bears4Ever_34

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand it absolutely won't happen, but....

this is all the more reason why I believe Lovie's job SHOULD be on this game and if he loses he should be gone on Monday w/ Marinelli stepping in for the rest of the year.

I agree, we started the last 2 seasons 14-4 to end them 2-9 so far. Every team has injuries, at some point someone has to be accountable. JA is gone, so now it is all Lovie and Co.

I agree, we started the last 2 seasons 14-4 to end them 2-9 so far. Every team has injuries, at some point someone has to be accountable. JA is gone, so now it is all Lovie and Co.

Angelo may very well still be in Chicago (thankfully he isn't) had he fired Lovie after Cut's 1st season in '09. 2010 was fools gold and we all knew it...that stuck us with two more years of Lovie.

Every so often, even the best teams hit stretches where nothing seems to go right. Big name players are hurt, schemes/systems aren't working, you're facing a big time rival, in a must win game.

That's the game when you hope you have a big time QB. That's the game where, no matter what else is going wrong, your big time QB steps up, puts the game on his shoulders, and puts you into the playoffs.

I don't care about everything else around him, whether he's happy with the system or not, if the line can't block for him, whatever. Cutler needs to step up and win this game. If he can't do that, then he's simply not the kind of QB I thought the Bears were getting when they traded for him.

Every so often, even the best teams hit stretches where nothing seems to go right. Big name players are hurt, schemes/systems aren't working, you're facing a big time rival, in a must win game.

That's the game when you hope you have a big time QB. That's the game where, no matter what else is going wrong, your big time QB steps up, puts the game on his shoulders, and puts you into the playoffs.

I don't care about everything else around him, whether he's happy with the system or not, if the line can't block for him, whatever. Cutler needs to step up and win this game. If he can't do that, then he's simply not the kind of QB I thought the Bears were getting when they traded for him.

Wow. Talk about completely unfair. I'm sorry, but I just find the concept you laid out to be utterly ridiculous. Even the greats need help. I'm absolutely convinced if you put any QB behind the Bears OL this year, and give them the Bears pass-catching "threats," the results are just not that much different. Manning and Brady would make them better, but not much. And, hell, there's a good chance if the Bears had someone like Peyton Manning that he'd already be out for the year.

Jay Cutler himself did better last year with less than the Bears pass-catching "threats". So yes, I think a better QB would have done noticeably better. Last year Cutler had Johnny Knox, a OC that he couldn't stand, and the inability to audible.

This year, Cutler lost Knox but gained one of the best WR's in the league in Brandon Marshall. They also added a rookie that most agree is better than the rest of the WR's on the team. I know Jeffery has been hurt, but his addition fit Jay's want for taller WR's. Plus, when he is on the field that should be 2 upgrades of the receiving threats last year. Cutler has the ability to audible. He was given his own qb coach/passing coordinator. The OC that he didn't like was also let go.

Cutler should have stepped it up from last year with those additions/changes. He regressed.

Gotta say I agree with Balta and TD here. Just look at the last game. When Campbell came in, did anyone notice how diverse and multi-dimensional the team suddenly became? With Cutler, most teams realize he's going to throw to BM and if not Fortes going to run. That seems to be Jays repertoire this year.

Jay Cutler himself did better last year with less than the Bears pass-catching "threats". So yes, I think a better QB would have done noticeably better. Last year Cutler had Johnny Knox, a OC that he couldn't stand, and the inability to audible.

This year, Cutler lost Knox but gained one of the best WR's in the league in Brandon Marshall. They also added a rookie that most agree is better than the rest of the WR's on the team. I know Jeffery has been hurt, but his addition fit Jay's want for taller WR's. Plus, when he is on the field that should be 2 upgrades of the receiving threats last year. Cutler has the ability to audible. He was given his own qb coach/passing coordinator. The OC that he didn't like was also let go.

Cutler should have stepped it up from last year with those additions/changes. He regressed.

Pretty much nailed it. Dare I say, Martz's offense the last two years was better/more productive than this years version of offense, under Mike Tice? It definitely was, for reasons I can't put my finger on. I think some of it has to do with Earl Bennet's regression as a WR, Forte playing like he got paid, and throwing to Kellen Davis more. Jeffery's absence hasn't helped either. Cutler is throwing interceptions at a higher clip than he was last year, and overall, has been worse. He hasn't even clipped the 2,500 yard mark after 12 games. That is a rarity in today's NFL. In my opinion, it's a giant clusterfuck between a lot of people, including the OC.

Pretty much nailed it. Dare I say, Martz's offense the last two years was better/more productive than this years version of offense, under Mike Tice? It definitely was, for reasons I can't put my finger on. I think some of it has to do with Earl Bennet's regression as a WR, Forte playing like he got paid, and throwing to Kellen Davis more. Jeffery's absence hasn't helped either. Cutler is throwing interceptions at a higher clip than he was last year, and overall, has been worse. He hasn't even clipped the 2,500 yard mark after 12 games. That is a rarity in today's NFL. In my opinion, it's a giant clusterfuck between a lot of people, including the OC.

I dare say that maybe allowing Cutler the ability to audibilize could be part of the issue? Especially given how often he goes to Marshall?

So, if the Bears lose, Cutler sucks? Please. He has 1 playmaker at the moment. Forte's ypc is a nice 4.3 but he's not as explosive, fast or shifty as he used to be. Bush is mediocre and might not play Sunday. Jeffery hasn't been anything special because of injuries. Hester sucks. Bennett might not play. Kellen Davis has as much talent as my keyboard I'm currently typing on. Spaeth and Adams aren't reliable targets. All of that, and I haven't even mentioned his OL which is brutal.

On that note, I would absolutely love to see Cutler have an unreal game. Remember his first 300 yard game this year against the Colts? Yeah, that was his only one. How about making it two on Sunday?

Brian,

Please...your keyboard is far more reliable than Kellen...

So, if the Bears lose, Cutler sucks? Please. He has 1 playmaker at the moment. Forte's ypc is a nice 4.3 but he's not as explosive, fast or shifty as he used to be. Bush is mediocre and might not play Sunday. Jeffery hasn't been anything special because of injuries. Hester sucks. Bennett might not play. Kellen Davis has as much talent as my keyboard I'm currently typing on. Spaeth and Adams aren't reliable targets. All of that, and I haven't even mentioned his OL which is brutal.

On that note, I would absolutely love to see Cutler have an unreal game. Remember his first 300 yard game this year against the Colts? Yeah, that was his only one. How about making it two on Sunday?

Yes but when he does audibilize it seems to always be to the same person....Brandon. Now I understand the whole "chemistry" and "magical" (Mad Lith's word) but really, opponents aren't that stupid. They double and triple cover, Cutller throws it and sometimes...not always...makes it work. And why is it that when he doesn't have Marshall available he seems to almost always do the same seam route to Davis? Which 9 times of 10 doesn't work. Heck, Campbell threw a right "out" pattern with Adams during the last game and it worked just fine. And I believe during that drive Campbell had at least two or three other completions to two or three other receivers succesfully. One of those times was to Forte. How many times have we seen Cutler throw to Forte out in the flat this year? Hmmm.. Why would you do a play like that with your back up and not your #1 QB? Or the play to Adams when Davis would be the "normal" TE for that type of play?

Yes but when he does audibilize it seems to always be to the same person....Brandon. Now I understand the whole "chemistry" and "magical" (Mad Lith's word) but really, opponents aren't that stupid. They double and triple cover, Cutller throws it and sometimes...not always...makes it work. And why is it that when he doesn't have Marshall available he seems to almost always do the same seam route to Davis? Which 9 times of 10 doesn't work. Heck, Campbell threw a right "out" pattern with Adams during the last game and it worked just fine. And I believe during that drive Campbell had at least two or three other completions to two or three other receivers succesfully. One of those times was to Forte. How many times have we seen Cutler throw to Forte out in the flat this year? Hmmm.. Why would you do a play like that with your back up and not your #1 QB? Or the play to Adams when Davis would be the "normal" TE for that type of play?

I can't tell you the exact play, but there was a play last game where Cutler forced it into Marshall who was double-teamed and someone was open. Hell, I don't even remember whether Marshall caught it, but when the replay was shown there was Jefferey standing all by himself on a check-down route of about 5-7 yards. He would have easily gotten 10 to 15 when the whole thing was done.

I like the fact Cutler is allowed to audible, but I wonder if his choice to audible is the best.

I would not say Cutler Sucks.

I thought the Bears were trading for one of the best QB's in the league when they traded for Jay Cutler.

One of the best QB's in the league, even if 4/5 of his O-line, his RB, and his entire defense were hurt...one of the best QB's in the league would step up and win this game.

Unfair? Maybe. But if he can't win this game, then Jay Cutler finally winds up in the "Average" QB category to me. Yeah you can win with an average QB, but you win because of the weapons around him, not that QB.

We've waited years now for Jay Cutler to rise to the occasion. To play bigger in a bigger game. To actually own a big game. It's time. This is the same damn team that came out and laughed at him last time out. "Same old Jay".

It's time for him to prove something.

I tend to agree. However, Cutler need not win the game to prove he's good. He only needs to play well and put the team in position to win. Other factors like a poor running game, fumbles, drops by WR's or defensive failure could lose the game and Cutler could still pass the test so to speak.

I thought the Bears were trading for one of the best QB's in the league when they traded for Jay Cutler.

One of the best QB's in the league, even if 4/5 of his O-line, his RB, and his entire defense were hurt...one of the best QB's in the league would step up and win this game.

Unfair? Maybe. But if he can't win this game, then Jay Cutler finally winds up in the "Average" QB category to me. Yeah you can win with an average QB, but you win because of the weapons around him, not that QB.

We've waited years now for Jay Cutler to rise to the occasion. To play bigger in a bigger game. To actually own a big game. It's time. This is the same damn team that came out and laughed at him last time out. "Same old Jay".

I can't tell you the exact play, but there was a play last game where Cutler forced it into Marshall who was double-teamed and someone was open. Hell, I don't even remember whether Marshall caught it, but when the replay was shown there was Jefferey standing all by himself on a check-down route of about 5-7 yards. He would have easily gotten 10 to 15 when the whole thing was done.

I like the fact Cutler is allowed to audible, but I wonder if his choice to audible is the best.

I know the exact play you speak of it was the roll out where he tried to throw deep to Marshall in the end zone against double coverage. It was hester on check down all alone by the sideline. Wouldn't have been a TD but he could've picked up another 10 yards easy

Big assumption that Hester would have actually caught it... Henceforth why he goes to Marshall.

I know the exact play you speak of it was the roll out where he tried to throw deep to Marshall in the end zone against double coverage. It was hester on check down all alone by the sideline. Wouldn't have been a TD but he could've picked up another 10 yards easy

Cutler has won plenty of big games. I guess this just comes to mind for you and probably a few others since it's NOW. If he throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's and they lose, is he average still?

I do too. And as others here have noticed (and to a degree what Balta said previously) Cutler has been handed the "keys" and not produced. Could you blame it on the oline and other factors not in Cutler's control? Possibly. But as I've said before, Cutler is an "out of pocket" passer. He has taken some hits over the years because of his affinity to scrambling. That may very well be wearing on him in a few regards both in judgement and urge to run.

As I pointed out in the last game, Campbell was effectively able to put together a scoring drive by using various receivers. Did he audible? Don't know, he used Forte in the passing game. Something I haven't seen a lot of this year. Made a completion to a crossing Adams not a fumbling Davis. And sealed it with a TD pass to Marshall. Probably the only pass he made to him on that drive.

The point being is I like the idea of Cutler being able to take charge when needed. He has the best perspective of what is offered as he is getting ready to set up that play. And when/if he thinks it necessary, audibilize. Worked great for Payton Manning all his years. I'm just not sure that he (Cutler) believes anyone else but Marshall can help him.