Chicago (9-6) at Detroit (4-10), Sunday 12:00 pm

adam

Only masked on the scoreboard. Most fans are fully aware of the way the game ended. We started out 20-3 but ended the game giving up a 21-6 run by Detroit and just barely squeaked by. Anyone who thinks this team has a chance at doing anything in the playoffs is drinking spiked kool aid. Looking at our season as a whole, the defensive scores, and turnovers leading to easy points masked an inept offense to a 7-1 record, once the D came back to earth so did our record, and a chance at backing into a playoff spot we really don't deserve. Should GB win today, no doubt we'll be stuck with Lovie another year.

Irony. We make the playoffs and a bunch of us are going to be pissed that Lovie comes back. Hail mediocrity! Or is that HELL mediocrity?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I say just sit back and watch the movie. Even though we've all seen it before, just maybe we have the director's cut and the ending is better...

Irony. We make the playoffs and a bunch of us are going to be pissed that Lovie comes back. Hail mediocrity! Or is that HELL mediocrity?

Unless we make it to the NFC Championship game, I don't see him staying under Emery.

I'm fairly certain Lovie won't get an extension... this year (especially since the year ends tomorrow). With some kidding aside i still see Lovie returning next year. I know it's not popular but it makes sense and I'm good with it. And frankly those that were wishing for the team to do badly just to get what they wanted are sickening. Shame on you.

May as well use this thread if anyone wants to talk about the vikes/pack game.

Good start overall for the Vikings. Early points and Packers couldn't move the ball.

Packers should win a challenge early, but it's a silly challenge. Best he gets out of it is 5 yards, but it burns an early challenge.

May as well use this thread if anyone wants to talk about the vikes/pack game.

Good start overall for the Vikings. Early points and Packers couldn't move the ball.

Packers should win a challenge early, but it's a silly challenge. Best he gets out of it is 5 yards, but it burns an early challenge.

Peterson running all over em now.

I see it as either fired or extended. Lame duck coaches are an extreme rarity in the NFL. I don't see the Bears breaking from that... It's possible but as a betting man, I'm not betting on it.

I'm fairly certain Lovie won't get an extension... this year (especially since the year ends tomorrow). With some kidding aside i still see Lovie returning next year. I know it's not popular but it makes sense and I'm good with it.

playoffs at this point the way the GB Minn game may be a moot point. I don't count GB out of it yet. But either way I don't feel we belong in the playoffs. We dug our own whole by following a 7-1 start by slumping only to win the last two games and need help to get in. We lost games we should have won against teams we should have beat if we were good. We played like crap and dug our own grave. That said would I like us to be in the playoffs and somehow find our grove and somehow make a run. I will never root for the Bears to lose just to get a coach canned. But look a the body of work by Smith. Does he deserve to stay? Hell no. Even if we don't make the playoffs I have a feeling they will bring him back for the last year of his contract. I don't see an extension as other's have said unless we go really deep in the playoffs and somehow manage to make it to the NFC Title game, or even the SB. But even if we'd have lost today I think we'd still get Lovie one more season. I think most of us are not and haven't been rooting for the Bears to lose just to see Lovie sent packing. We are more frustrated with the overall body of work and regardless how this season ends we'd still be calling for a coaching change. We want to see our Bears do well, and I think we have seen how far Lovie will take the team, it's time for a change.

I see it as either fired or extended. Lame duck coaches are an extreme rarity in the NFL. I don't see the Bears breaking from that... It's possible but as a betting man, I'm not betting on it.

If you're not going to let him go in as a lame duck, then you have to replace him unless they make the title game.

I'm fairly certain Lovie won't get an extension... this year (especially since the year ends tomorrow). With some kidding aside i still see Lovie returning next year. I know it's not popular but it makes sense and I'm good with it. And frankly those that were wishing for the team to do badly just to get what they wanted are sickening. Shame on you.

Playoffs or not, he's not getting canned with today's win. I'd be stunned if he was ousted this year (knowing what we know as of this point). Whether Minny wins or not, he'll be here next year.

Thanks for giving your opinion. However, this isn't like us parking illegally in a handicap zone. This is someone giving their opinion on sports. Shame on you for making it bigger than it is.

Peace :dabears

I agree.

But I'm not sure Bears ownership and management would agree...

Ownership can't be this dumb.

If they extend him, then they're a Cutler Concussion away from buying out an extra $10 million next offseason. They'd have to know that. One concussion and this becomes a 3-13 team, barring a personnel overhaul.

If they let him go now, they're on the hook for $5 million. If they leave him as a lame duck and he wins big, they win big and make money off that, and have to pay him a million or so more per year.

If they extend him and the team collapses, they're on the hook for the entire extension.

The worst case scenario next year for ownership is extending him.

playoffs at this point the way the GB Minn game may be a moot point. I don't count GB out of it yet. But either way I don't feel we belong in the playoffs. We dug our own whole by following a 7-1 start by slumping only to win the last two games and need help to get in. We lost games we should have won against teams we should have beat if we were good. We played like crap and dug our own grave.

A few of those games could have just as easily been won too. I count the Houston, Seattle and Green Bay games in those categories. How many times, consecutively, did we see players drop passes in the endzone?

Bennett and Marshall were guilty of that in at least two of those games. Ask yourself, in those situations is that a coaching or player problem?

That said would I like us to be in the playoffs and somehow find our grove and somehow make a run. I will never root for the Bears to lose just to get a coach canned. But look a the body of work by Smith. Does he deserve to stay? Hell no.

So if the team does get in a "groove" and win one, two or three playoff games your still against the idea of Lovie's return? If you still answer yes to that then you have already decided you don't want him back...regardless. And that is the problem I have with how people are judging this "body of work" I keep hearing about.

Even if we don't make the playoffs I have a feeling they will bring him back for the last year of his contract. I don't see an extension as other's have said unless we go really deep in the playoffs and somehow manage to make it to the NFC Title game, or even the SB. But even if we'd have lost today I think we'd still get Lovie one more season. I think most of us are not and haven't been rooting for the Bears to lose just to see Lovie sent packing. We are more frustrated with the overall body of work and regardless how this season ends we'd still be calling for a coaching change. We want to see our Bears do well, and I think we have seen how far Lovie will take the team, it's time for a change.

Your repeating the "party line" because he has gotten the team to the Super Bowl. The only Chicago coach since Ditka to do that. Has the third best winning record behind Ditka and Halas for a team that is almost 100 years old. THAT is a pretty good "body of work" in my opinion. That and the players like playing for him, and to me that matters more than what we as fans want.

So if the team does get in a "groove" and win one, two or three playoff games your still against the idea of Lovie's return? If you still answer yes to that then you have already decided you don't want him back...regardless. And that is the problem I have with how people are judging this "body of work" I keep hearing about.

A groove, to me, is not a WC round win, even if it's on the road. I think they'd keep him after a WC win, but with how this team started the year, with the talent on this roster, the only thing stopping them from being a conference championship team is themselves.

I'm good with this except for the "hoping" part. But in the context I believe I know what you mean.

If he gets an extension, it's because the Bears pulled together, won 2 big playoff games on the road, and wound up at least in the conference championship game, if not the super bowl.

If he's in his 3rd conference championship since 2006, and maybe 2nd super bowl, ok, add 2 years, the team pulled it off. Be honest, even the people who despise him would be pumped about that kind of playoff run.

Ownership can't be this dumb.

If they extend him, then they're a Cutler Concussion away from buying out an extra $10 million next offseason. They'd have to know that. One concussion and this becomes a 3-13 team, barring a personnel overhaul.

If they let him go now, they're on the hook for $5 million. If they leave him as a lame duck and he wins big, they win big and make money off that, and have to pay him a million or so more per year.

If they extend him and the team collapses, they're on the hook for the entire extension.

The worst case scenario next year for ownership is extending him.

I really don't think a Cutler injury would cause a 7 game swing. Most games are won by the D and not by his near lowest in the league ran offense.