Marc Trestman

jason

Ever since Jimmy Johnson leaked the name Marc Trestman, I've been watching every highlight I could from his time in Canada. And I'm sure of the following statement: The majority of this board will be upset.

Why?

To make this offense work, either he'll have draft a ton of OL

OR

He's going to have a very unbalanced, semi-productive offense that relies on a lot of deep drops, has minimal rushing, and will get the QB drilled

Judging from history, either scenario is going to make most of this board unhappy.

Ever since Jimmy Johnson leaked the name Marc Trestman, I've been watching every highlight I could from his time in Canada. And I'm sure of the following statement: The majority of this board will be upset.

Why?

OR

He's going to have a very unbalanced, semi-productive offense that relies on a lot of deep drops, has minimal rushing, and will get the QB drilled

Judging from history, either scenario is going to make most of this board unhappy.

That is assuming he is going to implement the same offense here, which is unlikely due to the size of the field, the number of players, and number of downs. It seems that he just adapted to what worked in that league.

Why?

OR

Play calling will be different (obviously).

I like the hire. However, this is not a guy who going to throw his headphones or jump up and down on the sidelines so I know for sure some people might be disappointed.

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor

Well im pumped. Call all the O-staff to a meeting at Ditka's Restaurant and fire em all. Im guessing we will get a new TE who can actually catch a football.

Welcome to Da Bears, EY!!

Don't care. ;) I just want to see some passion. If it comes calculated, so be it. From what I've seen on interviews andhighlights, he seems very mild, but also very intense and very cordial. It's not Jauron or Smith. I sense this guy will be animated in his own right on the sideline.

He looks like a general. Not a deer in headlights.

I can't wait!

However, this is not a guy who going to throw his headphones or jump up and down on the sidelines so I know for sure some people might be disappointed.

Don't care. ;) I just want to see some passion. If it comes calculated, so be it. From what I've seen on interviews andhighlights, he seems very mild, but also very intense and very cordial. It's not Jauron or Smith. I sense this guy will be animated in his own right on the sideline.

He looks like a general. Not a deer in headlights.

I can't wait!

Just had to rattle the cage a bit. ;)

FYI - he has drawn a lot of comparisons to Jauron from an intelligence standpoint (i.e. the smartest guy in the room).

How does his offense rely on deep drops? Everything I've read about him says he's a West Coast guy. A lot of 2 yard crossing patterns that gets the ball out of the quarterbacks hands quickly. I think you read up on the wrong guy. Regardless, none of us know what he will run HERE. I'm sure he has a specific plan already in place. We won't know what that will be until the season kicks off.

How does his offense rely on deep drops? Everything I've read about him says he's a West Coast guy. A lot of 2 yard crossing patterns that gets the ball out of the quarterbacks hands quickly. I think you read up on the wrong guy. Regardless, none of us know what he will run HERE. I'm sure he has a specific plan already in place. We won't know what that will be until the season kicks off.

Yeah he runs a WCO based system. If you read canadianbears post he says he relies on 3-5 step drops and they had a ton of o-line turnover in the CFL. Ive also read he is a big believer in pass protection so that is good.

But ive read people comparing him to Martz due to the offensive guru label.......

Me thinks he saw highlights of late game tape where after they kill you short it opens things up to go over the top.

I didn't read up. I watched games and highlights. Lots of deep drops.

But I'll defer to CanadianBear, who has undoubtedly watched more games up there. He says it's a lot of 3 and 5 step drops. I'll believe it. But from tape it sure looks like there are deep drops and even a few shotguns with 3-5 step drops.

But I'll defer to CanadianBear, who has undoubtedly watched more games up there. He says it's a lot of 3 and 5 step drops. I'll believe it. But from tape it sure looks like there are deep drops and even a few shotguns with 3-5 step drops.

I heard a stat that was thrown around on the radio this morning. The year before Trestman came to the CFL, the Montreal team gave up 68 sacks in just over 600 pass attempts. The year he arrived, they only allowed 22 in just over 700 pass attempts with largely the same group. So there's that.. I think the Kromer hire is very encouraging sign that things will start to get better in the O-Line department.

He did run alot of shotgun, especially once his QB (Calvillo) became a little less mobile. Out of shotgun, however, he ran a plethora of Draws and quick hitting play action passes (slower developing slents, WR screens etc).

Calvillo also read his progressions quickly, and if nothing was there, ran for whatever he could get.

He will clearly have every play available to him, but I can guarentee, 7 step drops will only be called on max protect, 2 man route plays.

Jay may actually have a chance of surviving.

He did run alot of shotgun, especially once his QB (Calvillo) became a little less mobile. Out of shotgun, however, he ran a plethora of Draws and quick hitting play action passes (slower developing slents, WR screens etc).

Calvillo also read his progressions quickly, and if nothing was there, ran for whatever he could get.

He will clearly have every play available to him, but I can guarentee, 7 step drops will only be called on max protect, 2 man route plays.

Jay may actually have a chance of surviving.

Thanks for all this insight Canadia. Its 1 thing to hear stories and what have ya but getting in depth 1st hand knowledge is grea. I've also heard he loves to use RBs out of backfield

Heard today that his first year in Mot. his team had 22 sacks for the year, the year before with the same group, they had 68 sacks. I think we might be on to something.