Cavanaugh new QB coach

madlithuanian

I'm shocked THIS many people here want Tebow. He's terrible. Brutal. He provides nothing for a team. The Jets had McElroy and Sanchez this year and Tebow threw 8 passes. Why would he need to come here and play more? You don't need to push Cutler. He's a UFA after the year with a 2nd year GM and a 1st year coach. He knows this is his last chance in Chicago.

I'm not shocked at anything while reading this board. If Tebow were worth half a damn he would have been the Jets QB by about Week 8 at the latest.

But no....even when they benched Sanchez they skipped Tebow and went to McElroy.

Pay no attention to people wanting Tebow as they have ZERO clue of what they're talking about.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not shocked at anything while reading this board. If Tebow were worth half a damn he would have been the Jets QB by about Week 8 at the latest.

But no....even when they benched Sanchez they skipped Tebow and went to McElroy.

Pay no attention to people wanting Tebow as they have ZERO clue of what they're talking about.

we're talking about this because of the connection he has to Trestman. The reason I'd want him here is because Trestman would have given the ok for it, and if Trestman gives the ok for it then I know he'll utilize him correctly. I know what I'm talking about. In Trestman I Trust.

Tebow is just not an NFL QB. His best bet would be to convert to TE, FB, or LB.

I actually wouldn't mind him if he was coming in solely to play TE, but he's going to continue insisting that he's a QB, and teams are going to continue giving him chances to play QB because as long as they do that, they get an enormous amount of press coverage.

If it was just Tebows skill set you were getting then he could be interesting, but its not. He is a circus act and creates distractions that completely overshadow any value he could have situationally. Even the Jags, who dont have a franchise quarterback and struggle to get fans to show up dont want anything to do with him. I would be absolutely disgusted if they brought in Tebow.

we're talking about this because of the connection he has to Trestman. The reason I'd want him here is because Trestman would have given the ok for it, and if Trestman gives the ok for it then I know he'll utilize him correctly. I know what I'm talking about. In Trestman I Trust.

What connection?

Tebow HIRED him to work with him for TWO days.

BFD.

He also tried to recruit him at NC State and praised him as a QB. If he comes here, which this doesn't have any real legs yet, its because Trestman wants him here and knowing that Trestman is a well respected QB guru I will trust that choice.....It's as simple as that. I'm not calling him a great QB or anything.

What connection?

BFD.

It is like the 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Tebow > Jets > Cavanaugh > Bears = Tebow to Bears

There is also this picture of Cutler congratulating Tebow after he is handed the starting QB job for the Bears in Week 10 in 2013:

Jay%20Cutler%20Chicago%20Bears%20v%20Den

You have to almost be a little superstitious to believe in Tebow. The stats, and even a lot of what you see on the field, shows a bad QB. Yet everywhere he's been winning has ensued. Tebow-led teams have a better record in the NFL than Cutler's (64% vs. 57%) and Tebow has QB'd just as many playoff wins...and his college record blows Cutler's away. There is something about Tebow that makes others on the team around him step it up. That's my theory anyway.

You have to almost be a little superstitious to believe in Tebow. The stats, and even a lot of what you see on the field, shows a bad QB. Yet everywhere he's been winning has ensued. Tebow-led teams have a better record in the NFL than Cutler's (64% vs. 57%) and Tebow has QB'd just as many playoff wins...and his college record blows Cutler's away. There is something about Tebow that makes others on the team around him step it up. That's my theory anyway.

Yeah, they step it up because they know that unless they catch 3 balls not even close to them and as a defense they allow 17 points, their team is f***ed.

Yes, that is the only way to ignore what your eyes see. I'll take him as a H-back or TE once he comes to his senses.

Didn't seem to make winning ensue in NY.

Didn't seem to make winning ensue in NY.

No player makes winning ensue when they're not playing. I figured it was too wordy to keep adding "that he started", "Tebow-led", "that he QB'd", etc. to every phrase so I just did it some of the time and figured others would get the point that I always mean it in that context. Guess I was wrong.

Notice I also mostly stayed away from phrases like "Tebow's record" or "He won XX games". That was on purpose. Teams win games, not quarterbacks. All a quarterback is capable of by himself is getting murdered out there on the field.

Somewhere I heard someone make the point that by the end of the season, with Rex's job in jeapardy and McElroy being the direction Rex wants to go in next season, it would've been a lose-lose for Rex to let Tebow play. Tebow does awful, it's yet another embarrasing loss and Rex looks desperate. Tebow finishes the season with two wins..."well what took you so long Rex?"...and forget about starting McElroy next season withiout a distracting QB controversey.

The key to Tebow will probably be to get him to accept himself at least in the role of part-time wildcat QB, where the D can't commit to either the run or the pass fully because Tebow can basically choose which it's gonna be right in the middle of the play. Hypothetically, Tebow is then happy; he brings his inspiration/luck onto the field on a regular basis, and he'd likely be a team player enough that his unquestioning support of the full-time QB strengthens that QB's perceived leadership in the eyes of others.

What connection?

BFD.

Also to get technical...it wasn't 2 days...it was 7 or 8...Here's what Marc had to say.

"He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws," Trestman said at the time, the Morning Journal reported, via ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright. "I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days. I can only imagine what he's going to do in one year or two years, because he's going to outwork everybody else and find a way to figure it out.

"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."

Interesting how this post started about the hire of Cavanaugh but seems more focused on Tebow. When it's all said and done the likelihood of Tebow coming to Chicago is not so. But I wouldn't be surprised a QB of similar skill sets

(say round 5-7) isnt looked at in the upcoming draft.

That being the case, I'm not all that enthused by this hire of Cavanaugh. He doesn't have all that great a track record. And quite frankly am scratching my head why they didn't just keep Bates on to continue working with Cutler.

Interesting how this post started about the hire of Cavanaugh but seems more focused on Tebow. When it's all said and done the likelihood of Tebow coming to Chicago is not so. But I wouldn't be surprised a QB of similar skill sets

(say round 5-7) isnt looked at in the upcoming draft.

That being the case, I'm not all that enthused by this hire of Cavanaugh. He doesn't have all that great a track record. And quite frankly am scratching my head why they didn't just keep Bates on to continue working with Cutler.

Im guessing they let bates go because they do want someone who is going to baby cutler so to say. Wanted to get someone who will show toughlove. But let's not kid ourselves. Cavanaugh may have the position but we all know it will be trestmans hands that will be all over him. And this will be a make it or break it type yr for cutler

Im guessing they let bates go because they do want someone who is going to baby cutler so to say. Wanted to get someone who will show toughlove. But let's not kid ourselves. Cavanaugh may have the position but we all know it will be trestmans hands that will be all over him. And this will be a make it or break it type yr for cutler

I think it is time for Cutler to step up to the plate. I realize he has been handicapped by inept OCs and a terrible OL but I still feel he has still, with this in mind, fallen short of what one could expect from a franchise QB getting the big bucks he is getting paid. I feel Trestman will provide him with the protection he needs and will be the best OC we have had in a long long time. If Cutler fails this year to get it turned around, I suspect he will be gone.

Correct. (And the QB Franchise tag last year was $16 million).

I really have no worries for him as I think behind a good line he will excel but if for whatever reason it'd be nice to get a backup in here this year that's potentially waiting in the wings. Not a veteran rehash like Jason Campbell but someone who can still develop under Trestman.

I really have no worries for him as I think behind a good line he will excel but if for whatever reason it'd be nice to get a backup in here this year that's potentially waiting in the wings. Not a veteran rehash like Jason Campbell but someone who can still develop under Trestman.

I agree. We finally have someone here who understands qbs so although this draft isn't a good class of qbs im all for drafting 1 late to see if he can develop.

Agreed. Trestman understands the importance of an OL and developing QBs. Lovie probably understood both, but lacked the desire to do the former and the ability to do the latter.

The latest article on ChicagoBears.com had a few interesting points that to me was encouraging:

.... the Alouettes allowed only 22 sacks in Trestman's first season in 2008 after permitting 68 the previous year. ..... It was the same five guys blocking. He just put his own stamp on our protection, and it was a huge difference

He's very demanding in terms of making sure that you're ready for the next week.

He's always changing things up. .... he wants to make sure the defense doesn't get comfortable with what we're doing. .... he doesn't want to be this vanilla offense.

I am really anxious to see how this translates to the 2013 season.