Urlacher talking to Queens

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Do not pay him more than 2.5 million a year to stay. He was a great player in his time but he is 35 now. His skills are obviously diminished. 2 years max.

Peace :dabears

Agreed Connor. I'd love to see him retire as a Bear, but there's only so much of the cash pie to go around. With his skills, if he was anybody but Urlacher, he'd be getting the veteran minimum.

The thought sickens me.

His agent is going door to door to drum up business for the old pro, who in there right mind are going to pay his price? He might sign somewhere on else on the cheap to spite the Bears for not giving him what he wants, good ridding. We can pay him on past accolades, accept 2 mil a year or sit home.

Guest TerraTor

I can only remember when Dent left. Then as a teen my dad took me to Veterans Stadium and there he was an F'ing eagle... I never wanna relive that in any form

Me thinks this may have something to do with our apparent interest in Loadholt. But even the reports indicate that the vikings ultimately believe he'll be back with the Bears. It wouldn't surprise me if they were letting this out in the hopes the Bears are forced to pay more than they want, plus I'm sure Urlacher is just getting a feel for what he is worth as leverage.

Urlacher will re-sign for 4 reasons:

1. His body of work albeit awesome, his last season not so much. The term "losing a step" matters on defense. It's the difference between tipping a ball and a completion. It's the difference between filling a hole and not getting there in time only to see the running back get an extra 1 or 2 yards.

2. Sure he can get more money elsewhere but Chicago is a major market and all endorsements he has procured over his career will be gone. What is he going to endorse in minnesota. Dairy farms?

3. Going to minnesota means he is just trying to get more money. Minnesota won't be playing for anything.

4. He is the established leader. Going anywhere else, he will have to start over. I doubt he will get treated as well anywhere else like he will here.

I'm just amazed at how quickly so many of you want to disregard the face of the franchise, the leader of the defense, the most important Bears player in the last decade, when the difference between his happiness being a Bear and potentially going elsewhere is probably no more than one million (he asks for 5, team offers 3, meet in the middle). Add to that is the fact that he wasn't horrible last year; he just had a down year with an injury to boot. There's absolutely no reason why - especially considering how hard he's going at it in offseason workouts - he won't come back stronger than last year, and put up 2010 or 2011 stats.

It's even more insulting when he's judged on this pedestal, yet scrubs like the guys on the OL are viewed under some other microscope, as if their lack of ability is easier to overlook. Even in Urlacher's worst year, his production exceeds what everyone on the OL did last year. If Urlacher's tackle misses were as frequent as any of the OL's screwups there would be a highlight video of it made by some douchey packer fan.

And then talking about money I see things like 2 million per year. Are you kidding me!? That's just straight up disgraceful. Without trying too hard, you guys want to pay him less than a RB that wasn't good, a OG/C who was rated the worst in the league, and a kicker!? GTFO of here.

Bush - 4yrs/14m

Garza - 3yrs/8.65m

Gould - 6yrs/15.5m

This is the first time in the history of posting on this board that I've been actually disappointed in fellow Bears fans. I don't have a problem with disagreements, but this is just plain disappointing.

I'm just amazed at how quickly so many of you want to disregard the face of the franchise, the leader of the defense, the most important Bears player in the last decade, when the difference between his happiness being a Bear and potentially going elsewhere is probably no more than one million (he asks for 5, team offers 3, meet in the middle). Add to that is the fact that he wasn't horrible last year; he just had a down year with an injury to boot. There's absolutely no reason why - especially considering how hard he's going at it in offseason workouts - he won't come back stronger than last year, and put up 2010 or 2011 stats.

It's even more insulting when he's judged on this pedestal, yet scrubs like the guys on the OL are viewed under some other microscope, as if their lack of ability is easier to overlook. Even in Urlacher's worst year, his production exceeds what everyone on the OL did last year. If Urlacher's tackle misses were as frequent as any of the OL's screwups there would be a highlight video of it made by some douchey packer fan.

And then talking about money I see things like 2 million per year. Are you kidding me!? That's just straight up disgraceful. Without trying too hard, you guys want to pay him less than a RB that wasn't good, a OG/C who was rated the worst in the league, and a kicker!? GTFO of here.

Bush - 4yrs/14m

Garza - 3yrs/8.65m

Gould - 6yrs/15.5m

This is the first time in the history of posting on this board that I've been actually disappointed in fellow Bears fans. I don't have a problem with disagreements, but this is just plain disappointing.

I just can't see him leaving. I think hr will get a 2 yrs deal roughly $4M per. This way he can finish his career where it belongs. I think its obvious to him that this gm is doing everything he can to get better production from offense which will make him happy. Plus we all know that he wants that ring and we are closer to it than those other teams

Agreed. I've been thinking the $4M since the get-go...

I just can't see him leaving. I think hr will get a 2 yrs deal roughly $4M per. This way he can finish his career where it belongs. I think its obvious to him that this gm is doing everything he can to get better production from offense which will make him happy. Plus we all know that he wants that ring and we are closer to it than those other teams

I believe he'll be back here and finish where he started. I believe it's what he truly wants and I believe the Bears want him back. I agree that it will probably be something like 2 years in the area of 4-5 mil which is I think fair for Brian and fair for the Bears. It's easy to forget that last year he was coming off an injury that hampered his speed at the start of the season. He barely had much of an off-season aside from rehab. He was even limited in camp. As the season progressed he got better. This off-season he's been able to work out and I think will be in far better shape heading into camp than last year. No doubt he's lost a step, and injuries are more of an issue, but at his age that's normal. I definitely think that he has a couple more years in the tank and can help train his replacement. Signing him doesn't diminish the need for his replacement to be brought in. I don't think (and he's said as much) that he's not looking to break the bank, he isn't going to dig for every cent he can get, he's aware of the situation he's in. I think Brian, the Bears, and us fans would love to see 54 retire a Bear and see his jersey retired along with the great LB's through the history of the Bears. It would sadden and even sicken me to see him go to Minny, or Dallas. If he went to dallas I'd probably burn my 54 jersey lol. I'd love to see Brian finally get that ring as a member of the Bears.

I believe he'll be back here and finish where he started. I believe it's what he truly wants and I believe the Bears want him back. I agree that it will probably be something like 2 years in the area of 4-5 mil which is I think fair for Brian and fair for the Bears. It's easy to forget that last year he was coming off an injury that hampered his speed at the start of the season. He barely had much of an off-season aside from rehab. He was even limited in camp. As the season progressed he got better. This off-season he's been able to work out and I think will be in far better shape heading into camp than last year. No doubt he's lost a step, and injuries are more of an issue, but at his age that's normal. I definitely think that he has a couple more years in the tank and can help train his replacement. Signing him doesn't diminish the need for his replacement to be brought in. I don't think (and he's said as much) that he's not looking to break the bank, he isn't going to dig for every cent he can get, he's aware of the situation he's in. I think Brian, the Bears, and us fans would love to see 54 retire a Bear and see his jersey retired along with the great LB's through the history of the Bears. It would sadden and even sicken me to see him go to Minny, or Dallas. If he went to dallas I'd probably burn my 54 jersey lol. I'd love to see Brian finally get that ring as a member of the Bears.

Couldn't agree more. My feeling is that he (and to some extent the team) are testing the market. I'm not convinced that he really wants to go anywhere else. If he had to Dallas might be it only because that is where Marinelli went. As Jason said earlier it would 'sicken' me to see him in another uniform. Enough to where I would question the value of traditional importance this team has always held in high regard.

Sounds like the Bears are wanting Urlacher to sign elsewhere so they aren't obligated to bring him back. At least that's the word on the radio. Makes sense to me.

I really think if they wanted to re-sign him, they would have done it before free agency. It could still happen, but I think the fact that they are letting him shop around speaks volumes about where their mind set is on him.