Draft Grades - My thoughts exactly, well mostly

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013chi.php

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

20. Kyle Long, G, Oregon: D Grade

Well... at least this fills... a need... Umm... I'm kind of speechless right now. With Tyler Eifert and stud defenders like Desmond Trufant and Sylvester Williams available, the Bears decided to take an inexperienced second-round guard. Long may have been around for Chicago's next selection, so this pick is extremely questionable.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

50. Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida: B Grade

The Bears hope they've landed their successor for Brian Urlacher. Middle linebacker was a big need, and Jon Bostic is definitely worthy of being chosen 50th overall. I would have gone with Arthur Brown, but there must be major medical concerns with him because he has first-round talent.

117. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers: A Grade

Khaseem Greene was viewed as a second-round talent by many, but it's not too surprising to see him fall a bit because he doesn't fit many defenses. The Bears don't mind though, as they fill a need with a good value selection. s

163. Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech: B Grade

So, I guess the Bears wanted to focus on the offensive line and linebacker groups in the draft. Jordan Mills is a right tackle who should be able to challenge J'Marcus Webb. He fits the range, so this is a solid pick.

188. Cornelius Washington, DE, Georgia: A+ Grade

I don't understand why Cornelius Washington fell to the middle of the sixth round. Washington is a Day 2 talent. He is raw, but that's fine because the Bears won't really need him until Julius Peppers moves on.

236. Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State: A- Grade

Why not? Marquess Wilson was once considered a second-round prospect, but he quit on his team because he didn't get along with head coach Mike Leach. It has to be considered that Leach is a bad guy, so Chicago is right to take a shot on Wilson.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013chi.php

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

20. Kyle Long, G, Oregon: D Grade

Well... at least this fills... a need... Umm... I'm kind of speechless right now. With Tyler Eifert and stud defenders like Desmond Trufant and Sylvester Williams available, the Bears decided to take an inexperienced second-round guard. Long may have been around for Chicago's next selection, so this pick is extremely questionable.

Granted, this is his dad I'm quoting, but...

’I kind of felt like — and I won’t share the two or three teams that were picking after Chicago — but I felt like it was a really good opportunity that Kyle would go between 20-28, 29, without tipping my hand,” Howie Long said at Halas Hall. “But he would have been off the board. ... I’ve heard people say they should have traded down and got him in the second round. He wouldn’t have been there.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...ting-guard.html

’I kind of felt like — and I won’t share the two or three teams that were picking after Chicago — but I felt like it was a really good opportunity that Kyle would go between 20-28, 29, without tipping my hand,” Howie Long said at Halas Hall. “But he would have been off the board. ... I’ve heard people say they should have traded down and got him in the second round. He wouldn’t have been there.”

And that wouldn't surprise me at all. He was Mayocks 3rd ranked OG and when 1 and 2 are Warmack and Cooper, number 3 ain't bad.

Overall though I agree with the rest of the evaluation.

Thanks for beating me to this as I heard Howie say this in his interview on the Bears website. His inside information makes me feel really good about the pick.

Thanks for beating me to this as I heard Howie say this in his interview on the Bears website. His inside information makes me feel really good about the pick.

It is a bit of a hard draft to analyse in many ways for a guy like me who does not follow the college players closely and only knows the Bears and their needs.

Everyone says Long was a reach but it sounds like maybe he wasn't a reach in the back rooms of the owners/teams.

Two linebackers seems strange to me but they seem to have drafted two high-quality players so will hope for the best.

Time will tell, have the new Emery/Trestmann team done a good job? One can only hope and have faith, which I do at this point.

I loved our draft. Looking at film on Long, I think he is going to be a good. He is very quick and plays with a very strong base. He'll only get better with time. I also like Bostic over Brown. Bostic has the prototype frame where Brown is smallish. I can see 5 of these guys starting not this year, but next.(Between 2 and 4 this year) Great depth and value...

If Long didn't go to us, which I am sure teams were watching for after the Pugh selection, I am sure teams would've been trading up to get him in the mid-20's. No way he makes it out of the first.

Agreed on this. He was going in the first round.

Peace :dabears

I do really like this draft, but it's hard to put in perspective because I don't really see any immediate starters, which is less a criticism of the draft and more a reflection of what a good job Emery did of filling the gaps in this team in FA. While the Beas needed depth and future starters, there were very few spots where you figured you really needed a draft pick to come in and start like we have in years past. Right tackle or guard maybe, but Fluker went early and I'm not sure any draft guard outside of Cooper or Warmack will start over Carimi, though I think Long has a shot at it. At LB, as long as Williams and Anderson are healthy, I think they start, but that might have been the case with any drafted LB. A high pick at CB might have been able to start at the nickel and a high draft pick at WR might have been able to start in the slot, but other than that, there weren't a ton of starting holes left. So, I'm considering any production from any of these draft picks gravy, and we'll see where they are at this time next year.

A "D" for Long is BS, he wanted Trufant or Eifert there instead of Long. Eifert would be the 5th passing option after (Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett, Forte). So a TE2 is good value at #20? Trufant is not a Cover-2 Corner, and if he is only playing Nickel this year, is that worth it at #20? A Rotational DT like Floyd or Williams at #20? Maybe, but Long fills a huge need and is going to contribute from Day 1 making the entire Offense better. I can't see lower than a C+ assuming people think we took him too early.

In a way grading the draft with the pick numbers is deceiving. Long was actually a 20-49 pick, and Bostic was a 50-116 pick. Just taking all pick #s out, picking up Long, Bostic, Greene, Mills, Washington and Mills with only 5 picks is a great draft. You could even say for values sake that we did trade down and got Long at 35, but picked up Greene in the 70's with our 3rd rounder we acquired. Greene would still be a good pick and Long then becomes a better pick, kind of funny when you look at it that way.

I can't understand Long rated a D for our pick. He was going late first or more likely early second round. I'm not an Oline expert so I at best I watched some highlights of Cooper and Warmack before the draft. After we signed Long I watched some highlights and then I watched his highlight of the entire USC game. I figured he looks decent and is moving his man around pretty good for the most part even if he doesn't always look as if he knows what he's doing.

Then I read his bio and realized that USC game was the first he had ever played OG. Prior to that he had been half a season at OT in Oregon's offense (missed all of their spring training) and one full season at JUCO as an OT. That's one hell of a quick learning curve to play like that against USC IMO. I'm not saying he looked like Warmack in that game but he didn't look clueless either and handled his responsibilities.

Then his father gets him a week with Tony Wise and he goes to the Senior Bowl and by game day he stands out among all the Oline players there (according to Emery). So we see a guy that unquestionably has all the athletic skills you want in an offensive lineman and has excellent strength (see any scouting report) but have to add in how quickly he is learning to play at a high level.

We may have reached a bit but not by more than 15-20 picks.

And as far as Walterfootball's credibility with draft grades here's what he said in 2007:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2007GRADE.php

Grade given on 5/1/07: A-

Good Moves: Fred Cimino from Endless Banter loved the Greg Olsen pick, so I guess it was a good one. The Bears have needed a premier tight end for years, and they finally got one. Garrett Wolfe should be a nice backup for Cedric Benson. I also liked the additions of linebacker Michael Okwo, guard Josh Beekman and safety Kevin Payne. Beekman, a second-round prospect, was a steal in the fourth. He'll take over for Ruben Brown whenever he retires.

Bad Moves: Not that Dan Bazuin is a bad player, but I don't see the need for a defensive end in the second round.

Instant 2007 Starters: TE Greg Olsen.

Potential 2007 Starters: OLB Michael Okwo, G Josh Beekman.

Other Picks: DE Dan Bazuin, RB Garrett Wolfe, S Kevin Payne, CB Corey Graham, CB Trumaine McBride, OT Aaron Brant.

A "D" for Long is BS, he wanted Trufant or Eifert there instead of Long. Eifert would be the 5th passing option after (Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett, Forte). So a TE2 is good value at #20? Trufant is not a Cover-2 Corner, and if he is only playing Nickel this year, is that worth it at #20? A Rotational DT like Floyd or Williams at #20? Maybe, but Long fills a huge need and is going to contribute from Day 1 making the entire Offense better. I can't see lower than a C+ assuming people think we took him too early.

In a way grading the draft with the pick numbers is deceiving. Long was actually a 20-49 pick, and Bostic was a 50-116 pick. Just taking all pick #s out, picking up Long, Bostic, Greene, Mills, Washington and Mills with only 5 picks is a great draft. You could even say for values sake that we did trade down and got Long at 35, but picked up Greene in the 70's with our 3rd rounder we acquired. Greene would still be a good pick and Long then becomes a better pick, kind of funny when you look at it that way.

He got a low grade because he was considered a reach. The more you read the more you understand the pick by Emery. I read where Rams, GB and Dallas were interested. He would not have made it out of first round.

He got a low grade because he was considered a reach. The more you read the more you understand the pick by Emery. I read where Rams, GB and Dallas were interested. He would not have made it out of first round.

Define reach, he was the 20th pick yet Lane Johnson and Ziggy Ansah went 4 and 5, and they have very little experience on OL or in football altogether. I just think the term reach is subjective and relative to how the draft plays out. 5 OL taken in top 11 and 6 in top 19.

Define reach, he was the 20th pick yet Lane Johnson and Ziggy Ansah went 4 and 5, and they have very little experience on OL or in football altogether. I just think the term reach is subjective and relative to how the draft plays out. 5 OL taken in top 11 and 6 in top 19.

It is all subjective, value people put on people vary a lot, but nobody had him that low. PFW had him at 38th best player in the draft, picking him with our second pick(he would have never made it there) would have been consider a good value at 20 it just wasnt. With all the linemen going, if Emery wanted him he had to pull the trigger. I am all in on the pick after doing some reading, but that still doesnt give it a good value. If he turns out to be real good at a spot we needed up grading all of this talk wont matter. I am rooting for him.

It is all subjective, value people put on people vary a lot, but nobody had him that low. PFW had him at 38th best player in the draft, picking him with our second pick(he would have never made it there) would have been consider a good value at 20 it just wasnt. With all the linemen going, if Emery wanted him he had to pull the trigger. I am all in on the pick after doing some reading, but that still doesnt give it a good value. If he turns out to be real good at a spot we needed up grading all of this talk wont matter. I am rooting for him.

Yeah the funny thing is that very rarely is a player drafted on the exact spot he is projected outside of the top 10, so everyone else either drops and becomes "value" or is taken early as a "reach". To me though, every player taken early is not a reach. Long fills a huge need for us and will likely start from day one. To me, if you draft a starter in the 1st, he is not a reach.

Yeah the funny thing is that very rarely is a player drafted on the exact spot he is projected outside of the top 10, so everyone else either drops and becomes "value" or is taken early as a "reach". To me though, every player taken early is not a reach. Long fills a huge need for us and will likely start from day one. To me, if you draft a starter in the 1st, he is not a reach.

Looking from this side of the fence, I think he is considered a reach, if he wins a starting job, and ends up being a stud, he will be considered a great pick by a genius,Emery. Or not.

Looking from this side of the fence, I think he is considered a reach, if he wins a starting job, and ends up being a stud, he will be considered a great pick by a genius,Emery. Or not.

I agree. My initial thought was that it was a slight reach. But considering the run on oline men and fact it fills a major need and he will start fromday 1 its a reach iI'm completely fine with

I agree with the this: If he earns a starting job in week 1 then it was not a reach.

We have enough reasonable competition at the OG spot, albeit not strong competition among Carimi, Slauson, and Britton, for him to have to earn a starting role.

I usually reserve my opinion on drafts for atleast a season.This was the first time in a long long time the Bears addressed quite a few needs. Last year's draft is a question mark with Brandon Marshall being the star of the draft so far. SMC and a healthy Hardin are what we need to see on the field to get a C out of it. I'm confused that a draft that was considered devoid of really solid first round talent could have anyone be called a reach when quite a few of the picks had limited playing experience or some serious medical issues. Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordon, DJ,Hayden, Dee Milner,Bijoern Werner, DeAndre Hopkins and Travis Frederick can all be consdered a reach when they were picked. One of the biggest head scratchers for me was the Dolphins who lost their starter at LOT trading up and not taking the next highest rated LOT on the board. now who is the starter at LT for them. The way I look at this draft is that we yielded a possible starter at LG and some depth and youth at OL and LB. My only missing piece would be a young CB to replace DJ Moore at nickel because I'm not a Hayden fan.

I usually reserve my opinion on drafts for atleast a season.This was the first time in a long long time the Bears addressed quite a few needs. Last year's draft is a question mark with Brandon Marshall being the star of the draft so far. SMC and a healthy Hardin are what we need to see on the field to get a C out of it. I'm confused that a draft that was considered devoid of really solid first round talent could have anyone be called a reach when quite a few of the picks had limited playing experience or some serious medical issues. Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordon, DJ,Hayden, Dee Milner,Bijoern Werner, DeAndre Hopkins and Travis Frederick can all be consdered a reach when they were picked. One of the biggest head scratchers for me was the Dolphins who lost their starter at LOT trading up and not taking the next highest rated LOT on the board. now who is the starter at LT for them. The way I look at this draft is that we yielded a possible starter at LG and some depth and youth at OL and LB. My only missing piece would be a young CB to replace DJ Moore at nickel because I'm not a Hayden fan.

;You cant judge a draft for 3 years, that is a fact of life. Someone could come in and have a good first year, and be out of the league by year 3. We are just throwing out opinions because we can.

;You cant judge a draft for 3 years, that is a fact of life. Someone could come in and have a good first year, and be out of the league by year 3. We are just throwing out opinions because we can.

So you are saying that the Colts draft where they went from worst to playoffs and had several of their rookies contribute in a major way was not a successful draft? Im just looking at their play on the field for year one. Luck, Allen, Fleener,Ballard and Hilton were all great. Of the five the only one who may not pan out is Ballard IMO.

So you are saying that the Colts draft where they went from worst to playoffs and had several of their rookies contribute in a major way was not a successful draft? Im just looking at their play on the field for year one. Luck, Allen, Fleener,Ballard and Hilton were all great. Of the five the only one who may not pan out is Ballard IMO.

Good point. Generally speaking, drafts need three years to be judged but you can get a solid idea sometimes much earlier. Hell, there was a Wanny draft where every player selected was gone by the third year, I think. Injuries last year make it hard to judge but thus far I'm not sold on Emery's drafting skills. I like many of the picks this year and understand why we took Long when we did. I think he'll pan out. This draft might salvage Emery in my eyes. Getting something out of our 2012 class might also do that. We'll see. I certainly hope for great things.

Good point. Generally speaking, drafts need three years to be judged but you can get a solid idea sometimes much earlier. Hell, there was a Wanny draft where every player selected was gone by the third year, I think. Injuries last year make it hard to judge but thus far I'm not sold on Emery's drafting skills. I like many of the picks this year and understand why we took Long when we did. I think he'll pan out. This draft might salvage Emery in my eyes. Getting something out of our 2012 class might also do that. We'll see. I certainly hope for great things.

Last years draft and off season had Lovie written all over it. Special teamers signed via FA, overpaying for a backup running back, drafting a safety in the 3rd, no attention to OL and scrubs to develop in the late rounds. This draft and off season was completely opposite. So glad Lovie is gone. I really look for a smarter football team this year.

Not true. Are going to tell me if all of our rookies go to the Pro Bowl this year, then all of them blow out their knees by year three, when they have no injury history, would be a bad draft? It usually takes a year or two to judge a good draft. I'll agree it may take three to judge a bad one...

Last years draft and off season had Lovie written all over it. Special teamers signed via FA, overpaying for a backup running back, drafting a safety in the 3rd, no attention to OL and scrubs to develop in the late rounds. This draft and off season was completely opposite. So glad Lovie is gone. I really look for a smarter football team this year.

COMPLETELY AGREE.

As far as I'm concerned, when looking back at Emery's draft success, we basically have to discard year one if players don't work out.