Timothy Tebow

scs787

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know me, and maybe Jason (I think he was on board in the past) will be the only ones on board with this but I feel we'd have a better chance to win with Tebow as our backup than Josh McCown. Tebow has TWTW, the will to win.

We've got the QB whisperer Marc Trestman who can (continue to) work on his mechanics as a QB and we can run the read option Trestman talked about which complements Tebows game. The WCO is also a good fit for Tebow.

I agree with Da Coach Mike Ditkas thoughts on Tebow...

‘‘People talk about Tim Tebow like he can't do this or he doesn't have this throwing skill. But all that matters is can he lead you from Point A to Point B. I like him. You cannot coach character. You cannot coach leadership.''

I'd much rather have him then the fumbling machine that is Josh Mccown.

Not as a gadgety periodic wildcat QB but as the backup QB who comes in should Cutler get hurt.

Not as a gadgety periodic wildcat QB but as the backup QB who comes in should Cutler get hurt.

Dave Krieg is the fumbling machine. ;) :dabears

Dave Krieg is the fumbling machine. ;) :dabears

Had to look that one up, wow, you're right. Mccown has some serious problems holding onto the football as well perhaps even a bigger case of fumblitis.

41 fumbles in 52 games, 33 starts.

Krieg had 153 in 213 games, 175 starts.

I guess looking at Tebow he's not much different 14 35 games, but with him as a runner you kinda expect that.

Kind of like saying I prefer califlower over lima beans. Both suck, they aren't going to be tasty. Only sauteed onions (Cutler) works with the meal...

I'm OK with bringin him in, but I don't think it'll be anything more than a potential circus that we really don't need.

My vote is pass. But if Emery feels differently, I'll support it.

So, circus aside, you guys feel better about Josh McCown than Tim Tebow? I sure as hell don't. With the read option plays that we supposedly have in our playbook I feel much more comfortable with Tebow out there.

What amazes me is that since we got cutler all of us have been banging this board for our FO to do something about the oline. Thinking if we protect cutler then the offense has a great chance at succedding while also keeping cutler clean and healthy. Now our FO finally goes out and does something to completely upgrade the oline and ppl are now pissed that we didn't upgrade at backup qb. WTH?????? Sorry but if cutler goes down god(tebow) won't save us. Neither will mccown. At least I know mccown won't blow up a locker. He doesn't have a circus following him around. If tebow were here u know that after the 1st into cutler throws all his minions will be screaming "tebow should start at least he won't throw picks". When my response would be "yeah but the receiver has no clue where he's gonna put ball cuz dude can't hit broad side of a barn". We criticize jay on his completion % yet with Tim ppl ignore all stats and says he has the will to win. Give me a flipping break. So your telling me Jay doesn't want to win. Sorry done with my rant

Da coach doesn't know a damn thing about QB's. If it wasn't for da coach da Bears would have won more than 1 SB. Doug Flutie in the playoffs ring a bell? No thanks on Tebow.

Da coach also traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams so I would have to agree with you - we should not listen to him when it comes to personnel decisions.

Peace :dabears

I know me, and maybe Jason (I think he was on board in the past) will be the only ones on board with this but I feel we'd have a better chance to win with Tebow as our backup than Josh McCown. Tebow has TWTW, the will to win.

We've got the QB whisperer Marc Trestman who can (continue to) work on his mechanics as a QB and we can run the read option Trestman talked about which complements Tebows game. The WCO is also a good fit for Tebow.

I just wrote this rant over at ST and I'm going to share it here as a reply to you since you talk about him fitting the WCO or the Read Option.

I hate when people say this. In this case not because of him personally, but because any sort of "gadget" setup will not work unless he can be a regular on the field in the first place.

When a team does what the Jets did last year, try to use any player as a "Gadget" QB, 2 things happen. First, in order for him to come in, the QB has to come out. Like it or not, this step takes the offense out of rhythm. The playcalling is different, the cadence is different, everything changes. It may only be a psychological change, but the offense is told "This guy is in charge" and suddenly he's on the bench for a play or two. It's a giant disruption.

Worse than that is what it does to the defense. Put yourself in the shoes of the middle linebacker. You see the QB come out and Tebow come on to the field. Do you think that a trick play might be coming? Do you not perk up rapidly and make sure everyone knows their assignments and how to deal with the upcoming trick play? The defense immediately snaps to attention, that's their natural response, they're coached to be ready for it. The Bears have seen this exact effect with the "Hester package", every time he comes on the field, the defense suddenly snaps to attention and expects something tricky.

If you want a gadget player to be effective, he has to be a nearly every down player. He has to be able to have a role if the play isn't called for him, whether it's as a receiver or a blocker, a team has to run 10 plays with him in order to get the defense adapted to having him on the field before anything tricky is tried.

Take a look at how the Read option teams do it; they run the read option like 10% of the time and a standard offense 80-90% of the time because they want it to cross up the defense. Or look at how the Packers use Cobb and the Vikings used Harvin whenever he was healthy; they may not be in on every play, and they are moved around a lot, but they're in on a lot of plays where the ball goes elsewhere.

If Tebow was willing and able to play the role of a starting TE or FB, great, then he's a great "Gadget" player because you can keep him on the field and have him play a role during the other 90% of the called plays, and then on play 10 you can flip the ball to him and have him run a read option out of the backfield with the defense not knowing that things are coming. But, he's shown no willingness to switch positions and he's seemingly spent no time developing skills that could help him make that position change.

What amazes me is that since we got cutler all of us have been banging this board for our FO to do something about the oline. Thinking if we protect cutler then the offense has a great chance at succedding while also keeping cutler clean and healthy. Now our FO finally goes out and does something to completely upgrade the oline and ppl are now pissed that we didn't upgrade at backup qb. WTH?????? Sorry but if cutler goes down god(tebow) won't save us. Neither will mccown. At least I know mccown won't blow up a locker. He doesn't have a circus following him around. If tebow were here u know that after the 1st into cutler throws all his minions will be screaming "tebow should start at least he won't throw picks". When my response would be "yeah but the receiver has no clue where he's gonna put ball cuz dude can't hit broad side of a barn". We criticize jay on his completion % yet with Tim ppl ignore all stats and says he has the will to win. Give me a flipping break. So your telling me Jay doesn't want to win. Sorry done with my rant

And I couldn't agree any more with this either. Tebow is horrible. McCown is better than Tebow. My grandma is better than Tebow.

I'm not pissed that they haven't upgraded the backup QB I just think we could really use one. That was the thought process last year in bringing in Jason Campbell, good teams should have a good backup.

I could care less what the media has to say and we have a guy in Jay Cutler who could give 2 shits about what the media has to say. Until he gets signed elsewhere I will continue to believe the Tebow is a perfect fit here.

I just wrote this rant over at ST and I'm going to share it here as a reply to you since you talk about him fitting the WCO or the Read Option.

I hate when people say this. In this case not because of him personally, but because any sort of "gadget" setup will not work unless he can be a regular on the field in the first place.

When a team does what the Jets did last year, try to use any player as a "Gadget" QB, 2 things happen. First, in order for him to come in, the QB has to come out. Like it or not, this step takes the offense out of rhythm. The playcalling is different, the cadence is different, everything changes. It may only be a psychological change, but the offense is told "This guy is in charge" and suddenly he's on the bench for a play or two. It's a giant disruption.

Worse than that is what it does to the defense. Put yourself in the shoes of the middle linebacker. You see the QB come out and Tebow come on to the field. Do you think that a trick play might be coming? Do you not perk up rapidly and make sure everyone knows their assignments and how to deal with the upcoming trick play? The defense immediately snaps to attention, that's their natural response, they're coached to be ready for it. The Bears have seen this exact effect with the "Hester package", every time he comes on the field, the defense suddenly snaps to attention and expects something tricky.

If you want a gadget player to be effective, he has to be a nearly every down player. He has to be able to have a role if the play isn't called for him, whether it's as a receiver or a blocker, a team has to run 10 plays with him in order to get the defense adapted to having him on the field before anything tricky is tried.

Take a look at how the Read option teams do it; they run the read option like 10% of the time and a standard offense 80-90% of the time because they want it to cross up the defense. Or look at how the Packers use Cobb and the Vikings used Harvin whenever he was healthy; they may not be in on every play, and they are moved around a lot, but they're in on a lot of plays where the ball goes elsewhere.

If Tebow was willing and able to play the role of a starting TE or FB, great, then he's a great "Gadget" player because you can keep him on the field and have him play a role during the other 90% of the called plays, and then on play 10 you can flip the ball to him and have him run a read option out of the backfield with the defense not knowing that things are coming. But, he's shown no willingness to switch positions and he's seemingly spent no time developing skills that could help him make that position change.

You must have missed where I said this.

Do you think that Tim Tebow can improve on his career 48% completion rating significantly? Just for comparison, McCown is at 58%.

If Trestman is who we think he is? Yes. Maybe not significantly but when you add in what he can do with his feet and you throw in his leadership ability I think he would give us a much better chance to win than MCCown.

According to the media though we're not interested so I guess we can just close this down.