Webb trying to stay sober? This guy is a moron.

GakMan23

Chicago Tribune article:

Fred Mitchell

10:38 p.m. CDT, May 3, 2013

The Bears have gone out of their way this offseason to find a reliable left tackle and to stabilize the entire offensive line.

Meanwhile, last year's starting left tackle — J'Marcus Webb — has been spending the offseason trying to find himself and remain sober.

The Bears signed free-agent veteran left tackle Jermon Bushrod and invested a first-round NFL draft pick on 6-foot-6, 313-pound guard Kyle Long, whom they think will be able to play either tackle position eventually. Several other offensive linemen have been acquired to generate competition during training camp.

Fred Mitchell

Fred Mitchell

Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Related

Bears lose pro scouting director to Chiefs Bears lose pro scouting director to Chiefs

Reader Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag Reader Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag

Chicago Bears player photo galleries Chicago Bears player photo galleries

Full coverage: Bears 2013 draft Full coverage: Bears 2013 draft

Maps

1920 Football Drive, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA

Soldier FIELD, 1410 S. Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, IL 60605, USA

Ads by Google

"My thoughts are mainly on myself," Webb told the Tribune when asked about the moves. "I'm getting stronger, physically and mentally, with my preparation for this new offense. There are going to be moves everywhere, and the best five (linemen) will play. I am going to make sure I am one of those."

Webb had a brush with the law in late February in downstate Pulaski County in which he initially was charged with possession of a controlled substance, cannabis and paraphernalia. The charges subsequently were dropped, but Webb is subject to the NFL's substance abuse policies and consequently is undergoing treatment to deal with his issues.

Webb says he has been attending church regularly while dealing with his problems he says adversely affected his play. He credits the Rev. Michael Pfleger for making him accountable for his actions.

"He impacts me every Sunday, actually," Webb said. "He has something in his service (at St. Sabina Catholic Church) I can relate to. He calls me out when he needs to and he has put the Word into me. It is definitely helping my mind."

The Bears are hopeful Webb's attempt at a personal revival will aid their reconstruction of the offensive line.

"I (think of myself) as an asset," said Webb, who also has played right tackle for the Bears.

Long, whom the Bears made the 20th overall pick of the draft last month, also has addressed past drug and alcohol indiscretions. While Webb is entering his fourth year in the league, he and Long are both 24.

"It's definitely important to get our lives together," the 6-7, 333-pound Webb said. "The Bears (coaches) are looking for the man, before the football player. One of the things (new coach Marc Trestman) always puts up on the board is: 'We're not in the football business; we're in the people business.' If (Long) had those issues at a young age, you know, those things happen. And I hope and wish the best for him.

"I have been through a couple of those issues. And now that I have taken the time to get sober and to remain sober and focus on that … it definitely has helped me on the field and off.

"(The arrest) was a wake-up call. I had not been in one of those situations before, but I definitely had to deal with the consequences. I had to take the time to handle them and man up."

fmitchell@tribune.com

Twitter @kicker34

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will be taken as me being a "Webb lover" but I really don't see the problem here....If this was any other player would you call him a moron? If this was Jay Cutler saying these things, who we know drinks based on the picture posted yesterday, would he be a moron?? Is Kyle Long a moron? If this was anyone else trying to better himself we'd be applauding him.

Jay Cutler isn't trying to learn how to be a QB and his job isn't at risk. This guy is acting like he is addicted to heroin and has to fight to make it thru each day sober. Maybe if he was focused trying to get better as a player instead of being a twitter icon, crying to everyone about how hard it has been, this would have already blown past. Long just got drafted and there isn't big articles about him crying about how hard it is to quit the pot.

These are two alarming quotes:

Webb says he has been attending church regularly while dealing with his problems he says adversely affected his play.

What was adversely affecting his play besides his skill and competency? Was he drunk or high, hung over when he played?

And now that I have taken the time to get sober and to remain sober and focus on that … it definitely has helped me on the field and off.

Again, so now that he is not drunk, he is better on the field?

The only saving grace is that Trestman is changing the team's mindset, and if Webb can see and understand that in such a short time, that is a very positive sign.

Jay Cutler isn't trying to learn how to be a QB and his job isn't at risk. This guy is acting like he is addicted to heroin and has to fight to make it thru each day sober. Maybe if he was focused trying to get better as a player instead of being a twitter icon, crying to everyone about how hard it has been, this would have already blown past. Long just got drafted and there isn't big articles about him crying about how hard it is to quit the pot.

oh lord, what part of that article comes makes it sound like he's crying about how hard it is? If this was anyone else it'd be a non issue.

I know this will be taken as me being a "Webb lover" but I really don't see the problem here....If this was any other player would you call him a moron? If this was Jay Cutler saying these things, who we know drinks based on the picture posted yesterday, would he be a moron?? Is Kyle Long a moron? If this was anyone else trying to better himself we'd be applauding him.

The fact of the matter is, this really shouldnt be a story at all. It just so happens to be because the subject, Webb, CURRENTLY plays for the Chicago Bears. I didn't see any spectacular revelation that made me go "good job Webb" because as before it's not really noteworthy.

'Battling to stay sober?'. I mean really. That would imply he was an alcoholic to begin with and I'm pretty sure we would of had heard something before now. Alcohol consumption and 20 something males are synonymous. I'm glad that Webb appears to be making something of himself but what I want for him to do is prove himself on the field.

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

That was not Jay Cutler. I understand your point, I don't think he is a moron, but the comments about those things affecting his on field performance is a red flag.

That was not Jay Cutler. I understand your point, I don't think he is a moron, but the comments about those things affecting his on field performance is a red flag.

Meh, maybe a "red flag" for the past 3 years that we didn't see but wouldn't it be a "green flag" (a positive) for him going forward?

We also don't really know what he said about it affecting his on the field performance. The quotes you pulled weren't quotes from Webb but simply just part of the article.

Chicago Tribune article:

Fred Mitchell

10:38 p.m. CDT, May 3, 2013

The Bears have gone out of their way this offseason to find a reliable left tackle and to stabilize the entire offensive line.

Meanwhile, last year's starting left tackle — J'Marcus Webb — has been spending the offseason trying to find himself and remain sober.

The Bears signed free-agent veteran left tackle Jermon Bushrod and invested a first-round NFL draft pick on 6-foot-6, 313-pound guard Kyle Long, whom they think will be able to play either tackle position eventually. Several other offensive linemen have been acquired to generate competition during training camp.

Fred Mitchell

Fred Mitchell

Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Related

Bears lose pro scouting director to Chiefs Bears lose pro scouting director to Chiefs

Reader Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag Reader Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag

Chicago Bears player photo galleries Chicago Bears player photo galleries

Full coverage: Bears 2013 draft Full coverage: Bears 2013 draft

Maps

1920 Football Drive, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA

Soldier FIELD, 1410 S. Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, IL 60605, USA

Ads by Google

"My thoughts are mainly on myself," Webb told the Tribune when asked about the moves. "I'm getting stronger, physically and mentally, with my preparation for this new offense. There are going to be moves everywhere, and the best five (linemen) will play. I am going to make sure I am one of those."

Webb had a brush with the law in late February in downstate Pulaski County in which he initially was charged with possession of a controlled substance, cannabis and paraphernalia. The charges subsequently were dropped, but Webb is subject to the NFL's substance abuse policies and consequently is undergoing treatment to deal with his issues.

Webb says he has been attending church regularly while dealing with his problems he says adversely affected his play. He credits the Rev. Michael Pfleger for making him accountable for his actions.

"He impacts me every Sunday, actually," Webb said. "He has something in his service (at St. Sabina Catholic Church) I can relate to. He calls me out when he needs to and he has put the Word into me. It is definitely helping my mind."

The Bears are hopeful Webb's attempt at a personal revival will aid their reconstruction of the offensive line.

"I (think of myself) as an asset," said Webb, who also has played right tackle for the Bears.

Long, whom the Bears made the 20th overall pick of the draft last month, also has addressed past drug and alcohol indiscretions. While Webb is entering his fourth year in the league, he and Long are both 24.

"It's definitely important to get our lives together," the 6-7, 333-pound Webb said. "The Bears (coaches) are looking for the man, before the football player. One of the things (new coach Marc Trestman) always puts up on the board is: 'We're not in the football business; we're in the people business.' If (Long) had those issues at a young age, you know, those things happen. And I hope and wish the best for him.

"I have been through a couple of those issues. And now that I have taken the time to get sober and to remain sober and focus on that … it definitely has helped me on the field and off.

"(The arrest) was a wake-up call. I had not been in one of those situations before, but I definitely had to deal with the consequences. I had to take the time to handle them and man up."

fmitchell@tribune.com

Twitter @kicker34

World English Dictionary

moron (ˈmɔːrɒn)

— n

1. a foolish or stupid person

2. a person having an intelligence quotient of between 50 and 70, able to work under supervision

I think foolish would apply in this case, or his actions might be considered stupid, but he is not a blogger on the internet, so I dont think #2 definition would apply.

World English Dictionary

moron (ˈmɔːrɒn)

— n

1. a foolish or stupid person

2. a person having an intelligence quotient of between 50 and 70, able to work under supervision

I think foolish would apply in this case, or his actions might be considered stupid, but he is not a blogger on the internet, so I dont think #2 definition would apply.

That guy is not that stupid judging from what he said, come on.

That's a load of foolishness, as is many of the other comments on here. #1 He is not acting like he's addicted to heroin. He is acting like he has abused substances in the past that are addictive and he's scared that if he continues down that road he'll suffer the consequences and will have thrown away some great opportunities. While not focusing on being a twitter icon and complaining is a good goal, I seriously doubt that would have led his troubled career/personal life issues to have "already blown past: :rolleyes: Webb even suggests he's not just worried about improving his track record with substance abuse, but himself as a person in general as well. That Webb is trying to learn to be successful at his at-risk position, unlike the more comfortable Jay Cutler, disproves, not proves, that he is a fool for looking to cut the substance abuse out of his life, listen to those wiser than him, and re-dedicate himself...so that was an especially strange argument.

Now...Webb may be a moron, but he certainly isn't a moron for anything he said in this article. There is a big difference.

That's a load of foolishness, as is many of the other comments on here. #1 He is not acting like he's addicted to heroin. He is acting like he has abused substances in the past that are addictive and he's scared that if he continues down that road he'll suffer the consequences and will have thrown away some great opportunities. While not focusing on being a twitter icon and complaining is a good goal, I seriously doubt that would have led his troubled career/personal life issues to have "already blown past: :rolleyes: Webb even suggests he's not just worried about improving his track record with substance abuse, but himself as a person in general as well. That Webb is trying to learn to be successful at his at-risk position, unlike the more comfortable Jay Cutler, disproves, not proves, that he is a fool for looking to cut the substance abuse out of his life, listen to those wiser than him, and re-dedicate himself...so that was an especially strange argument.

Now...Webb may be a moron, but he certainly isn't a moron for anything he said in this article. There is a big difference.

"That's a load of foolishness, as is many of the other comments on here. " Says the person that spews a lot of it. I am pretty sure that the "pot" he got busted with isn't the problem with him. Sounds like a "red" flag to me and makes me wonder what the hell else he is doing. He got into the NFL on luck and is being give a chance to make more money then most of us will see in a lifetime and was "using" until he got CAUGHT, and now is flapping about how he is born again. Sound pretty moronic to me to be chancing that kind of money for a buzz. Twittering about it and talking about some bigger problem sure isn't going to make anything go away. "That's in the past", "no comment" makes something disappear a lot faster then talking about some bigger problem he has to "find God" to get over with. :crying

"That's a load of foolishness, as is many of the other comments on here. " Says the person that spews a lot of it. I am pretty sure that the "pot" he got busted with isn't the problem with him. Sounds like a "red" flag to me and makes me wonder what the hell else he is doing. He got into the NFL on luck and is being give a chance to make more money then most of us will see in a lifetime and was "using" until he got CAUGHT, and now is flapping about how he is born again. Sound pretty moronic to me to be chancing that kind of money for a buzz. Twittering about it and talking about some bigger problem sure isn't going to make anything go away. "That's in the past", "no comment" makes something disappear a lot faster then talking about some bigger problem he has to "find God" to get over with. :crying

You seem confused about the difference between it being moronic to thow away opportunity to substance abuse and taking things for granted...and it being (not, in truth) moronic to say you're not going to do that anymore. I say this based on the words you're writing, since I have nothing else to go on. Are you high right now?

You seem confused about the difference between it being moronic to thow away opportunity to substance abuse and taking things for granted...and it being (not, in truth) moronic to say you're not going to do that anymore. I say this based on the words you're writing, since I have nothing else to go on. Are you high right now?

Am I high? No not sure where that is coming from. What, do you want to start name calling and get personal? Oh, and it is "throw" not thow. Yes I think it is MORONIC to be getting into these kind of situations and continuing to use these substances after you just saw what happen to Hurd. I keep seeing things that just show this guy doesn't get it, on top of not being a good Tackle.

oh lord, what part of that article comes makes it sound like he's crying about how hard it is? If this was anyone else it'd be a non issue.

Maybe. It's just a continuation of things that indicates Webb will never live up to his potential and that the Bears are foolish for thinking he can start at tackle.

This goes back to him going to 3 different colleges. Sending out stupid Tweets and calling himself "J Webb Nation." Mike Tice called him out last year saying, "Webb thinks he's got the starting job . . . "

In short, he has the physical ability to be very good, but not the mental ability. This is one more indication of that.

Yes I think it is MORONIC to be getting into these kind of situations and continuing to use these substances after you just saw what happen to Hurd. I keep seeing things that just show this guy doesn't get it, on top of not being a good Tackle.

Just curious, but how does a guy smoking a bit of weed and drinking alcohol relate to a guy becoming a coke dealer? When I consider the story of Hurd, the lesson that comes out of it for me is to not become a drug dealer, not stop drinking alcohol and smoking weed - 2 things that were never issues for Hurd as far as we know.

Just curious, but how does a guy smoking a bit of weed and drinking alcohol relate to a guy becoming a coke dealer? When I consider the story of Hurd, the lesson that comes out of it for me is to not become a drug dealer, not stop drinking alcohol and smoking weed - 2 things that were never issues for Hurd as far as we know.

That's right, Hurd was trying to buy both weed and coke. I forgot he was trying to purchase cocaine too. :) I think if I was making or could be making millions of dollars I would put a lot more thought into driving around with drugs.Especially after the "we are superstars above the law fantasy" had been dashed with Hurd's arrest.

Maybe. It's just a continuation of things that indicates Webb will never live up to his potential and that the Bears are foolish for thinking he can start at tackle.

This goes back to him going to 3 different colleges. Sending out stupid Tweets and calling himself "J Webb Nation." Mike Tice called him out last year saying, "Webb thinks he's got the starting job . . . "

In short, he has the physical ability to be very good, but not the mental ability. This is one more indication of that.

Wait a second, I thought Tice was Webbs boy and he's the only reason why Webb has a job?? So you mean he wasn't actually handed the job like most suggest?

Gakman, you seem to be the Webb hater version of me. I defend his ability to be successful in the right situation to no end while you are trying to defend your thought that Webb is a moron to no end.

It's simply not true in this case. How can anyone trying to better themselves be a moron for that reason. Was he a moron for smoking before, you can say that. I won't though because I believe the reports I've read saying over 50% of the league smokes. Was he a moron for getting caught? Ya, sure, I'll even call him a moron for that. But can you call him a moron for trying to better himself, absolutely not.

Webb has a job solely because of his potential. That's about it.

Webb trying to clean up his act is a good thing. We only know his words not his actions. Going to church means nothing to me, especially his choice of one, however it is a valid indication that he is taking different actions in his life. Then again I've known many people who have used going to church as cover to making themselves appear to be better people. Which is why I first stated it means nothing to me.

Knowing Webb has had his addictions, or perhaps it's better to say he has abused marijuana and alcohol, fits in well with his performance problems on the field and his attitude off it. An attitude he has been very open to publicizing on his own.

What we'll probably never know is if there were signs of this on the field or in practices. It's not hard to know when someone comes to work hungover. Missed blocking assignments, lack of study or focus in meeting rooms, etc. Maybe we now have some insight into why Cutler snapped at him in the Packer game? If I kept getting run over because a guy couldn't get his head on straight enough to do his job at a basic level I'd be pissed off too.

I'm going to add more to this: Tice was the head coach during the love boat saga. He always took a meat-headed approach to things like this in Minnesota, or perhaps a frat-boy acceptance of "boys will be boys" fits better. Based on his history there is reason to think Tice ignored signs of these problems with Webb instead of confronting him as he should have done.

Yeah but the last time I checked smoking weed is illegal, so a guy risking his entire career and well being over doing something illegal just validates who that person really is.