How are we going to fare against Cincinnati?

Daventry

Hi All,

I have been watching NFL Access and some other shows here in blighty and references are made regarding Cincinnati's team and them looking like the could be quite strong as they are very talented...

How are we going to do on Sunday?

Must put pressure on Dalton to slow down the connection to green. There D is stout

Cincy is an interesting team, I'd like to see how they utilize Eifert. Between him and Jermaine Gresham I'm curious to see how the Bears will match up against them. If they go into a 2 TE set who do we put on those 2? Will they put the 5'11" Frey on a 6'6" TE?? How will Anderson and Boom look in pass coverage?? They were never tested by a good TE in preseason. If they can handle those 2 and Peanut can keep Green from going off they should pick up the W.

I'm predicting 28-21 Da Bears

Cincy is an interesting team, I'd like to see how they utilize Eifert. Between him and Jermaine Gresham I'm curious to see how the Bears will match up against them. If they go into a 2 TE set who do we put on those 2? Will they put the 5'11" Frey on a 6'6" TE?? How will Anderson and Boom look in pass coverage?? They were never tested by a good TE in preseason. If they can handle those 2 and Peanut can keep Green from going off they should pick up the W.

I'm predicting 28-21 Da Bears

I think we match up well against this Bengals team. They remind me of the Lions with a QB and a WR with no real threat in the running game. TE will be a weapon for them, but just contain Green ad the TE'S and the cats wont do much.

The Bengals have some nice weapons offensively, and their defense is usually pretty good. The Bears will win if they can control that defensive line and not get Cutler killed. Also, Cutler can't crap the bed if he has time in the pocket. I'm not that scared of the Bengals with our defense though. Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman are the two best starting CB's in the game. Dalton is prone to throw a pick or two in this game on the road.

My early prognostication is Bears win 27-17

I'm glad the Bears get the Bengals in week 1, should give us a good idea of where they stack up. The Dalton gang is going to provide a stiff test, and Vegas has it close across the board with Bears -3.

My opinion can't be trusted since it's heavily colored by bias at this time of the season, when everything is possible, but I believe the Bears pull away in the 4th quarter and win by double digits. I think Bears special teams have been overlooked and I truly think Hester is going to return to form, forcing short-field situations and putting constant pressure on opposing defenses.

I also think Jefferey is going to have a break-out season, which means Marshall should get some great looks as the season progresses. It's the ideal scenario for the Bears...if a D tries to take away one of those guys, the other is left in single coverage.

Barring injury, Matt Forte becomes the X factor. Put 8 in the box and Marshall/Jeffrey will smoke you, if not, Matt will run behind the re-tooled line and eat up the clock.

My only question is whether the Bears are buying into the talent they have. They have every reason to question themselves after last season's collapse, but I think they can compete with most teams in the league. SF and SEA are clearly in a different class to start the season.

Let's get the party started.

I think it will be a good test of how good our Bears really are. Bengals have a good offense and a good defense. I do like that it is the first game of the season and we have them in our house. There is very little on tape on the Trestman Bears offense which I feel gives us an advantage because we'll be doing things no one's seen us do even in preseason. To me the x factor is Cutler. If he plays sharp and under control as he did in the 3rd Preseason game where his footwork, accuracy, and ability to get the ball out quickly will be key to our offense against a stout D. This will be a good test for the Rookies Long and Mills, Cincy is a team that does a good job of creating pressure, if our Line can hold their own and Give Jay time I think we can hurt that D in the secondary especially in the middle of the field. A good quick start will be imperative. We need to dictate the tempo of the game on both sides of the ball. If we're able to move the ball well early they will have to pick their poison, stack the box to stop the run and get beat with the pass or cover the pass and we'll grind it out on the ground. Defense will have it's hands full with their weapons in the passing game, BGE doesn't scare me and Bernard is untested yet. I think we can force them to become one dimensional. We must get pressure on Dalton and there should be opportunities for turnovers. This will be a tough matchup but one I believe we can win.

I think it will be a good test of how good our Bears really are. Bengals have a good offense and a good defense. I do like that it is the first game of the season and we have them in our house. There is very little on tape on the Trestman Bears offense which I feel gives us an advantage because we'll be doing things no one's seen us do even in preseason. To me the x factor is Cutler. If he plays sharp and under control as he did in the 3rd Preseason game where his footwork, accuracy, and ability to get the ball out quickly will be key to our offense against a stout D. This will be a good test for the Rookies Long and Mills, Cincy is a team that does a good job of creating pressure, if our Line can hold their own and Give Jay time I think we can hurt that D in the secondary especially in the middle of the field. A good quick start will be imperative. We need to dictate the tempo of the game on both sides of the ball. If we're able to move the ball well early they will have to pick their poison, stack the box to stop the run and get beat with the pass or cover the pass and we'll grind it out on the ground. Defense will have it's hands full with their weapons in the passing game, BGE doesn't scare me and Bernard is untested yet. I think we can force them to become one dimensional. We must get pressure on Dalton and there should be opportunities for turnovers. This will be a tough matchup but one I believe we can win.

I think we win like 18-17 on a late FG off of a turnover. this will be a good measuring stick on the quality of the team.

the two teams are extremely similar in my opinion

on O the QBs may be a bit different style wise, but both are roughly similar in terms of overall talent level. Both have top notch WRs followed by thin WR corps after. Both have big question marks on the OL (I actually think the bears shockingly have the advantage here). Gresham/Eifert gets a small leg up on Bennett at TE, while Forte/Bush has a leg up on Bernard/BJGE

On the Dline- both have stud DTs in atkins and melton, bears get the overall edge with peppers. Both have solid all pros veteran OLBs in Briggs and Harrison, and young and upcoming ILBs in Burfict and Bostic. In the secondary the bears have more overall playmakers, but Nelson at S and Hall at CB are definitely above average.

Bengals are a really good team and this game will be a huge challenge for our offense and defense. On the offensive front, this will be a huge test for our oline as the Bengals have one of the best front fours in football, if not the best front four in football.

I suspect we no longer have knuckleheads like Tice, Martz, or Turner calling plays and that we will

1) know that they have a solid Dline but less talented LB corps and

2) Work away from their strength and make their D work to the sidelines on very quick plays that stress their LBs to get out there and catch Forte. Doing this will also stress their CBs and force them to keep their eyes in the backfield at the snap looking for either a handoff or the short swing route from the backfield. This (CBs worried about run support) gives an advantage to our WRs. Speaking of WRs, and TE Bennett, these guys can block very well on the perimeter.

3) Doing the above means we will get behind their secondary on some double moves so I expect we will hit a few big plays off play action.

On D I don't think we can contain A.J. Green and Eifert downfield and Dalton can be very accurate if given time so let's just get after the QB and not give them time to work downfield.

the two teams are extremely similar in my opinion

on O the QBs may be a bit different style wise, but both are roughly similar in terms of overall talent level. Both have top notch WRs followed by thin WR corps after. Both have big question marks on the OL (I actually think the bears shockingly have the advantage here). Gresham/Eifert gets a small leg up on Bennett at TE, while Forte/Bush has a leg up on Bernard/BJGE

On the Dline- both have stud DTs in atkins and melton, bears get the overall edge with peppers. Both have solid all pros veteran OLBs in Briggs and Harrison, and young and upcoming ILBs in Burfict and Bostic. In the secondary the bears have more overall playmakers, but Nelson at S and Hall at CB are definitely above average.

Good analysis. It is intersetingly unsettling that the Bengals and Bears could be compared on the same plane. But you're right, where one advantage gives the team a leg up it is equaled out by a similar advantage found somewhere else. This should prove to be a pivitol game for the Bears early in the season and will set the tone. Maybe the advantage for our team will be the fact they are playing at home.

I recall thinking last year the first game would have been an easy walkaway game for the Bears especially with a rookie QB starting. But the Colts didn't just lie down and give up. Not only that but they played well through the whole season encough to make the playoffs. Who knew?

I look forward to Sunday. Should be a good match.

Of course they can, does a Bear Webb in the woods?

I expect the Bears to win by 2 TDs Sunday.

Green may not be as much trouble as Eifert could be. Since he's a relative unknown the Bears will be relying on LB or Nickel coverage for him Given he's as young as he is and as good as he's projected, this could prove difficult for the team's middle protection.

Man to man, Green may have the upper hand...but not by much. I would suspect that Jennings will get that challenge (since he's the younger of the two CB's) with help from Wright. Not to say that Tillman couldn't hold his own (ergo last year's matchup with Megatron) but of the two, Jennings would probably have a better go.

Green may not be as much trouble as Eifert could be. Since he's a relative unknown the Bears will be relying on LB or Nickel coverage for him Given he's as young as he is and as good as he's projected, this could prove difficult for the team's middle protection.

Man to man, Green may have the upper hand...but not by much. I would suspect that Jennings will get that challenge (since he's the younger of the two CB's) with help from Wright. Not to say that Tillman couldn't hold his own (ergo last year's matchup with Megatron) but of the two, Jennings would probably have a better go.

Honestly, I think Tillman will be on him and pretty much shut him down. He's 6'4 so I think Tillman will be on him. Tillman is always solid against tall WRs.

Eifert i don't think will be a big enough part of their offense at this point of the season being a rookie, having Gresham in front of him and just coming off the injury. He may burn the Bengals on a play but I don't see him as a big part of the game plan.

The only reason I replied the first time was so I could say "Does a Bear Webb in the woods?"

I live 2 and a half hours from Cincy, so I'll be arguing with them all week around here. I have to go with my homer Bears in a blow out 50-0 because of it.