Torn ACL for DT Nate Collins

balta1701-A

Link

Chicago Bears defensive tackle Nate Collins is scheduled to have an MRI on Monday to determine the severity of the left knee injury he suffered in the third quarter of the Bears’ 26-18 loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Fellow Bears’ defensive tackle Stephen Paea said he spoke to Collins after the game.

“I have no idea (how bad he is injured), “Paea said. “He has an MRI tomorrow (Monday) to find out what’s going to happen. He’s good. He had a smile on his face, so he’ll be back.”

Collins hurt the knee while attempting to pressure Saints quarterback Drew Brees on a pass attempt. Collins' knee appeared to buckle as he was tied up with a New Orleans offensive lineman. The four-year veteran defensive lineman grabbed his knee after falling to the ground and remained on the turf for a short period of time before eventually walking back to the locker room under his own power. He was eventually ruled out for the remainder of the game by the team’s medical staff.

Collins moved into the Bears’ starting lineup after Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton suffered a season-ending ACL tear. Entering Sunday’s game versus the Saints, Collins led all Bears defensive linemen with 10 tackles through the first four games. Collins also recorded two quarterback pressures and forced one fumble.

So does this mean the Bears kick Peppers inside more at DT and activate the rookie DE Washington?

Washington looked really fast and explosive in preseason and somebody needs to step up so why not get him activated next Thursday against NYG..

For the little that he played I thought Bass didn't do all that bad. He was quick off the ball and did good at getting inside the pocket a few times. Compared to Peppers declining play he looks a lot 'fresher'. ...and raw.

FWIW I thought SMC didn't play horribly either. I watched him and he too caused a few rushes on Brees and was very near a couple sacks. I tried to see if it made a difference with his 'hand in the dirt' vs a more stand up OLB style and neither appeared overly better than the other. Now before someone over reacts I'm not saying he was worthy of a 1st round pick (not yet anyhow) but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a wasted pick either.

For the little that he played I thought Bass didn't do all that bad. He was quick off the ball and did good at getting inside the pocket a few times. Compared to Peppers declining play he looks a lot 'fresher'. ...and raw.

FWIW I thought SMC didn't play horribly either. I watched him and he too caused a few rushes on Brees and was very near a couple sacks. I tried to see if it made a difference with his 'hand in the dirt' vs a more stand up OLB style and neither appeared overly better than the other. Now before someone over reacts I'm not saying he was worthy of a 1st round pick (not yet anyhow) but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a wasted pick either.

I think the jury is still out for SMC, but am hopeful he turns out positive. I think the possibility exists that next year and beyond we may end up changing to a 3-4. We would need to draft a couple of NTs but I think we have enough depth at LB to be able to play that scheme in the future. I can see Anderson, Greene, SMC, Washington, and fit DJ and Briggs in there somewhere and make that all be better than where we are at right now with all the injuries. I think Wooten, and Peppers(if we keep him) can play the end position. Just throwing out some food for thought after 2 straight losses and just thinking out loud.

This is bad, he was the best DLineman production wise so far this season, and now we are even more decimated at the DT position and if there is no push up the middle the outside rushers have no chance as the QB will just step up in the pocket.

A weak position just keeps getting weaker, I fear there is no solution to the problem.

Isn't Okoye still available he was not that bad and seemed to have plenty of tread on his tyres. Other than that do they restructure some deals and make a trade with a team like Seattle who seem to have plenty of depth.

Ya, Okoye's out there and he's a guy I wanted after Melton got hurt.

Looking forward to the draft what can the ND fans on the board tell me about Nix? I'm reading he's very agile for a guy his size, could he potentially play the 3T in the NFL? I know Tuitt is the guy that is the more suitable fit for the 3T but I've always liked the 2 monsters in the middle dynamic. Nix would certainly demand a double team which would alleviate the attention Peppers is getting.

Ya, Okoye's out there and he's a guy I wanted after Melton got hurt.

Looking forward to the draft what can the ND fans on the board tell me about Nix? I'm reading he's very agile for a guy his size, could he potentially play the 3T in the NFL? I know Tuitt is the guy that is the more suitable fit for the 3T but I've always liked the 2 monsters in the middle dynamic. Nix would certainly demand a double team which would alleviate the attention Peppers is getting.

Nix is a beast. I watch him every Saturday. I was expecting more out of him this year, been good I just thought he would dominate. I have read that he may stay to get his degree(that is the talk on the ND board im a member of), his mother really wants him to finish school before leaving. That ND degree comes in handy after football is done. Who knows if he stays. I think its a pretty good lock that Tuitt will declare, only thing is he has been pretty quite this year due to some nagging injuries. If his draft stock isn't high enough maybe he stays too.

I would be happy with either of these guys.