Josh McCown

Alaskan Grizzly

At this point I think it makes more financial sense than ever to go forward with McCown and a highly drafted rookie from this year's deep QB class. The real question is whether the Bears can tender Cutler and get a draft pick from someone. If they try that, and nobody bites, then it's a win-win situation and the Bears have two good QBs. The only downside is the financial aspect of it all.

Pull a Raymont Harris. Tag Cutler, sign McCown and draft a QB. If you get the QB you want in the draft, then remove the tag on Culter and let him go.

Peace :dabears

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull a Raymont Harris. Tag Cutler, sign McCown and draft a QB. If you get the QB you want in the draft, then remove the tag on Culter and let him go.

I don't like that approach because it's dirty pool, and future FAs may not sign as a result. Players talk. If it played out that way, you keep Cutler for the year on the tag, and then let him walk the following year if confidence in McCown and the rookie are high.

I pretty much agree with your assessment.

However, I think Cutler is the guy to move forward with. But, with the caveat that we don't break the bank. If he wants too much, as you said, we tag and dangle. If no one wants to trade for him, you play it out as you groom the next. And/or, you continue to negotiate.

I think the takeaway here for me is SYSTEM.

I really think Trestman can make this work with just about any servicable QB. Jay simply offers the potential to really light it up. But for mega-bucks, there is no gurantee of that...including his history of injury. You simply need a QB to buy in completely to the system.

All that said, we should make a generous, but not stupid offer to McCown to stick around. Whether we keep Jay and especially if not!

At this point I think it makes more financial sense than ever to go forward with McCown and a highly drafted rookie from this year's deep QB class. The real question is whether the Bears can tender Cutler and get a draft pick from someone. If they try that, and nobody bites, then it's a win-win situation and the Bears have two good QBs. The only downside is the financial aspect of it all.

I pretty much agree with your assessment.

However, I think Cutler is the guy to move forward with. But, with the caveat that we don't break the bank. If he wants too much, as you said, we tag and dangle. If no one wants to trade for him, you play it out as you groom the next. And/or, you continue to negotiate.

I think the takeaway here for me is SYSTEM.

I really think Trestman can make this work with just about any servicable QB. Jay simply offers the potential to really light it up. But for mega-bucks, there is no gurantee of that...including his history of injury. You simply need a QB to buy in completely to the system.

All that said, we should make a generous, but not stupid offer to McCown to stick around. Whether we keep Jay and especially if not!

I firmly believe this as well. I've never seen so many wide open receivers than I have this year, and when they're not open? Just throw it up and let the big, athletic freaks, make plays.

Like I previously said, I just don't know what I want next year. I think Jay has looked like a top 10 QB this year....but so has Josh....It's def a controversy...

The only thing Josh has going against him is he still hasn't faced that great of a defense....He did play Baltimore, but that game was a mess, and like the announcers said in that game, it really benefited the offense.

I don't like that approach because it's dirty pool, and future FAs may not sign as a result. Players talk. If it played out that way, you keep Cutler for the year on the tag, and then let him walk the following year if confidence in McCown and the rookie are high.

It might be OK in this case as you'd let Cutler know right up front that his agent would be free to negotiate a long term deal with other teams outside the division. If they get a deal, you make the trade. If not, you pay him. I'm not a fan of pulling the tag because as you say, it's uncool.

I'm still not sure this is the right thing to do given McCown's age and unproven history but damn if it isn't hard to argue with the results. And as you previously mentioned, it leaves a lot of money to get creative with in rebuilding the D.

I don't believe it hurt us in Raymont's situation. Players go where the money is.

I'll change my recommendation - Emery should meet with Cutler's agent and tell him that he is willing to negotiate a cap-friendly, home-town discount deal with him up until FA. If he is unwilling to sign a deal, then let him go and move forward with McCown and draft a QB in the first or second round. No way do I franchise tag him as we have too much else we need to address.

In a weird way, I almost feel like Jay is already gone. Everyone is just saying all the right things so the separation is amicable and there are no hard feelings. Jay is on the sideline cleaning up his image supporting the team and Josh and looking like a team player. The first time he did that when he was out, didn't anyone else find that out of character for him?

If he returns and plays poorly (which is highly likely due to time off and lack of timing with Receivers), there will be too much data that suggests McCown is a better fit for Trestman and the new offense. Additionally, how could the team invest that much money into a player who's play is not commensurate with his pay? That is just not good business sense. Emery and Trestman crunch too many numbers and a 13 to 1 TD/INT ratio is much better than 13 to 8.

If he doesn't return, injuries will become an even bigger focus/concern and will impact his negotiating leverage. I can't see the Bears signing him without seeing him perform at McCown's level in this offense.

Even if he returns and plays well, if we lose a game and don't make the playoffs, he will get blamed. He is supposed to be the big time QB that can win games with his arm (which McCown supposedly cannot).

At this point, the only scenario I can see where he is given an extended contract or Franchise Tag is if he comes back, we win out, make the playoffs, and win at least one playoff game. That seems like a lot, but based on McCown's performance to date (highest QBR this year, 4th all-time), I believe he has to play comparable to even be considered for a new contract.

Everyone is worried about McCown's age. He was born the same year as Brees and Palmer, is younger than Brady and Manning, and is less than a year older than Romo. It is hard to believe that anyone would turn down any of those QB's at their current age other than Palmer (due to injuries). Now obviously he does not have the pedigree as the others do but with the likes of Gannon and Warner and others that excelled in their mid to late 30's, why not McCown?

I don't believe it hurt us in Raymont's situation. Players go where the money is.

I'll change my recommendation - Emery should meet with Cutler's agent and tell him that he is willing to negotiate a cap-friendly, home-town discount deal with him up until FA. If he is unwilling to sign a deal, then let him go and move forward with McCown and draft a QB in the first or second round. No way do I franchise tag him as we have too much else we need to address.

Slap the tag on Cutler, we have tons of cap room. Yes, we have tons of positions that need to be filled out but we shouldn't let Cutler go with no compensation even if it ends up being a simple 3rd or 4th Rd pick I'll take it. To make all this work we need to get him back on the field as our starter, if we go with McCown the rest of the season then it's clear to all we won't re-sign Cutler. Despite looking good against the league's worst defense I'm still not that enamored with McCown as our long term starter but I love him as our backup.

I know what you're saying, Adam. But that's why we really need to see Cutler these last three games. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, Cutler's play will determine what goes down. If he doesn't play the best ball of his career and still wants to be paid like an elite QB, he's gone. If he does, things get more interesting...because we've still got a awful lot of leverage.

I, for one, think Romo was overpaid, and I don't think he sets the pay curve as much as some might believe. Not every owner is Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder. Yes, Romo is earning his paycheck this year, but he's being paid for a whole lot more than one year....and he's still never proved he can answer the call in the playoffs. If Culter wants a mega-deal, he's going to literally have to light it up, and that can only happen if he's given the opportunity. We probably make the playoffs if he does.

Everyone is worried about McCown's age. He was born the same year as Brees and Palmer, is younger than Brady and Manning, and is less than a year older than Romo. It is hard to believe that anyone would turn down any of those QB's at their current age other than Palmer (due to injuries). Now obviously he does not have the pedigree as the others do but with the likes of Gannon and Warner and others that excelled in their mid to late 30's, why not McCown?

You made a lot of good points but this last one... As to age, you may have a point but to say he doesn't have the pedigree, dude, he ain't anywhere near the same ballpark. His play this year is an absolute anomaly for his career whereas the others do (or have done) this type of thing regularly (with the exception of Palmer who's better days may have come and gone.)

I love what he's done but it still feels wrong to me to say he can be "the guy" going into next season.

You made a lot of good points but this last one... As to age, you may have a point but to say he doesn't have the pedigree, dude, he ain't anywhere near the same ballpark. His play this year is an absolute anomaly for his career whereas the others do (or have done) this type of thing regularly (with the exception of Palmer who's better days may have come and gone.)

I love what he's done but it still feels wrong to me to say he can be "the guy" going into next season.

McCown is a very good athlete. Who's to say, he could just be a late bloomer between the ears. One of McCown's former teammates said he is the most physically gifted "white boy" he'd ever seen. If you look at him, he looks quick, strong, fluid, accurate and confident. Add to that, an average arm and above average foot speed, you have a recipe for a modern QB.

I'm not concerned about his age either. As Adam pointed, he's younger than some that we're not worried about. Plus, he has less wear and tear than all of them. I'm somewhat sold on McCown now and the 14 mil(minimum) Cutler will command can buy us 3 to 5 starters on defense.

I know what you're saying, Adam. But that's why we really need to see Cutler these last three games. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, Cutler's play will determine what goes down. If he doesn't play the best ball of his career and still wants to be paid like an elite QB, he's gone. If he does, things get more interesting...because we've still got a awful lot of leverage.

I, for one, think Romo was overpaid, and I don't think he sets the pay curve as much as some might believe. Not every owner is Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder. Yes, Romo is earning his paycheck this year, but he's being paid for a whole lot more than one year....and he's still never proved he can answer the call in the playoffs. If Culter wants a mega-deal, he's going to literally have to light it up, and that can only happen if he's given the opportunity. We probably make the playoffs if he does.

I just feel like the Bears know what they have in Cutler and what they have without him, and should be able to put a price on that. I just don't see that price being anywhere near what Cutler will earn on the open market.

I understand, that is why I used the term pedigree, because he is not in the same class as the others. He is a journeyman who needed the stars to align (right system, right coach, right skill players, right timing) to get to this point. While the others had more direct paths to this point. However, that doesn't mean he cannot play at a similar level to what Cutler has (or better) over the next 3-4 years. How many good years does Cutler have left in him with all the wear and tear on his body?

I just don't think some realize how good McCown has been this season. He has the highest QBR for a QB this season, higher than Manning, which is shocking considering how good Manning has been. He is currently on pace to have the 4th best QBR ever. The top 10 is Manning(5), Brady(1), Rodgers(1), Brees (2), and McCown. If you consider a single season an anomaly, then Cutler's 2008 is his anomaly as he never had another 4,000 yard season, or QBR as high as his 72.1 that year. Actually, his next highest was this year at 63.2 and that is still 22.5 lower than McCown with almost the same amount of attempts.

It is also interesting to note that Cutler has only had one season before this year on the Bears where he was above league average for QBR (2011). Another interesting fact is that Cutler has thrown more INTs than games played in a Bears uniform (71 in 64 games). That does not take into account the games he left, so technically the ratio is higher. I realized he had a bad first year, but I did not know he was still averaging over a pick a game. Is Cutler really all that different than Romo? Hell, you could make the case that Romo is better with 4x 4,000 yard seasons, and only one season with a QBR below 50 (49 in 2008). He has a 27-7 TD/INT ratio this year and will more than likely top 4,000 yards again.

To me it seems that Emery and Trestman are ready to go in a different direction. I feel like McCown is a better fit for what Trestman wants to do, thus making McCown look better than Cutler even though Cutler is more skilled. Just like in Canada with the older QB (Cavillo) and Gannon winning the MVP in his late 30s, all 3 fit a similar mold more than Cutler does. Also, Cutler is getting beat up with these random injuries on what seem like normal hits. After that scrambling throw to Jeffery last night, I don't know what type of throw McCown cannot make that Cutler can unless it is a 60 yard bomb.

In the midst of all this "Josh is great" discussion we need to keep in mind just how awful the Cowboy's defense is. Everyone has lit them up just like everyone runs all over our defense and has a career day. I'm sure all those RBs would love to sign their next contract the day after they played the Bears. It's great we rolled over the Cowboys 32nd ranked defense but we also couldn't move the ball well against Minnesota's 31st ranked defense. The Rams 19th ranked defense looked pretty good against us too and I watched what the Cardinals mediocre offense just did to them.

I think the last game was McCown's best since he's been our starter. It was good to finally see less of the WR screens and us throwing more downfield. It worked well but there were several throws that should have, or would have, been INTs (even leaving out the Def Holding against Marshall) if Dallas' DBs could catch. The Cowboys also made Michael Bush look like a good backup RB and we know he's not. That's not to put McCown in the same category of Bush's play, he's not there by any means. No different than the Rams weren't putting Zach Stacy in the elite category of RBs after his game against us.