Cutler vs McCown

bowlingtwig

This is a must read. The guy who wrote this is fairly new writer to Bleacher Nation. BN expanded to include a Bears side to go with the Cubs side as well. Everyone should follow him @BearsBN on twitter. You wont regret. All his articles are very well thought out and well written. Here is his most recent article regarding the McCown and Cutler situation and what we should do going forward. Enjoy.

http://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2013/1...ler-and-mccown/

The two long term choices are:

Go with Cutler

Let Cutler go and draft a rookie while McCown starts.

The decision hinges not on Cutlers talent, which we all can see, but on whether Trestman and Emery believe he can acquire discipline and play within the system.

This year we DID see improvement in Cutler's discipline, but, in my opinion, not enough. I'm sure the coaching staff wants to see if he will continue to grwo in that direction. He has three games to prove he won't try to squeeze the ball into bad places, and hold on to it too long.

Listen, Jay Cutler is physically better than Joe Montana, OK? But he's not Joe Montana, or Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning etc etc

Let's also not overlook McCown's superior pocket presence. That more than anything has been the reason he has looked so good.

So yes, starting Cutler again is the right thing to do, even if McCown is the better choice for the rest of this year.

I think Jay is on a short leash, and the coaches are looking to let him play himself into a long term contract, not with flashes of talent, but by proving he can play within himself and the offense win OR lose. Or, if he doesn't, there won't be any controversy when they let him go next year.

Had they kept him on the bench and started McCown, we still wouldn't be winning a super bowl this year, and we would be in a much murkier position going into the offseason.

My prediction is that Cutler performs well, but keeps making poor choices, and McCown starts while we develop a young QB next year. We brought Trestman here to create a killer offense, and he has shown that he can that, so let's let him choose his own QB, especially when the wonder boy plays so recklessly, and McCown provides such a good example of how a lesser athlete can be successful if he plays smart disciplined football.

For the record, I would be thrilled if the light came on for Cutler and he started playing disciplined football. I'd keep THAT guy in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Go with Cutler

The decision hinges not on Cutlers talent, which we all can see, but on whether Trestman and Emery believe he can acquire discipline and play within the system.

This year we DID see improvement in Cutler's discipline, but, in my opinion, not enough. I'm sure the coaching staff wants to see if he will continue to grwo in that direction. He has three games to prove he won't try to squeeze the ball into bad places, and hold on to it too long.

Listen, Jay Cutler is physically better than Joe Montana, OK? But he's not Joe Montana, or Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning etc etc

Let's also not overlook McCown's superior pocket presence. That more than anything has been the reason he has looked so good.

So yes, starting Cutler again is the right thing to do, even if McCown is the better choice for the rest of this year.

I think Jay is on a short leash, and the coaches are looking to let him play himself into a long term contract, not with flashes of talent, but by proving he can play within himself and the offense win OR lose. Or, if he doesn't, there won't be any controversy when they let him go next year.

Had they kept him on the bench and started McCown, we still wouldn't be winning a super bowl this year, and we would be in a much murkier position going into the offseason.

My prediction is that Cutler performs well, but keeps making poor choices, and McCown starts while we develop a young QB next year. We brought Trestman here to create a killer offense, and he has shown that he can that, so let's let him choose his own QB, especially when the wonder boy plays so recklessly, and McCown provides such a good example of how a lesser athlete can be successful if he plays smart disciplined football.

For the record, I would be thrilled if the light came on for Cutler and he started playing disciplined football. I'd keep THAT guy in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Well stated

This is a must read. The guy who wrote this is fairly new writer to Bleacher Nation. BN expanded to include a Bears side to go with the Cubs side as well. Everyone should follow him @BearsBN on twitter. You wont regret. All his articles are very well thought out and well written. Here is his most recent article regarding the McCown and Cutler situation and what we should do going forward. Enjoy.

http://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2013/1...ler-and-mccown/

That article pretty much sums up what I stated in another post about having one side of the ball being dominant. Good read. Thanks fir sharing.

Go with Cutler

Two thumbs up.

Cutler is not going anywhere. It can be debated, but he will get his contract. We know what he is, yes good and bad Jay. If this team is going to take advantage of what we have on offense to have a SB shot, it starts with keeping Cutler. The draft and FA will be used to solidify the defense. Draft a C/G and then draft heavy CB, DT, and S. The Bears are not far off and regardless of what happens the rest of this season, Bear nation will have high hopes going into 2014. Let Cutler go, and the Trestman era is over. We have a 2 year window left with the offensive core and counting on McCown to stay healthy and rookie to groom is doom. Emery knows it and will sign both Cutler and McCown, so take your money to Vegas and bet Da Bears 2014!!!

Cutler is not going anywhere. It can be debated, but he will get his contract. We know what he is, yes good and bad Jay. If this team is going to take advantage of what we have on offense to have a SB shot, it starts with keeping Cutler. The draft and FA will be used to solidify the defense. Draft a C/G and then draft heavy CB, DT, and S. The Bears are not far off and regardless of what happens the rest of this season, Bear nation will have high hopes going into 2014. Let Cutler go, and the Trestman era is over. We have a 2 year window left with the offensive core and counting on McCown to stay healthy and rookie to groom is doom. Emery knows it and will sign both Cutler and McCown, so take your money to Vegas and bet Da Bears 2014!!!

I am home for the night so pass the kool aid or hell I got a fridge dedicated to that kool aid lol

I am home for the night so pass the kool aid or hell I got a fridge dedicated to that kool aid lol

I am on the Orange Koolade now. With Cutler under center we are a top 5 offense, maybe 3. Why waste a number 1 or 2 pick on a project QB that pick takes away a young solid defensive player. The best path is to keep the hated villian.

He listed the redskins by rank, but Cutler sucked against that same Redskin defense. He list the Lions, whom Cutler sucked against twice, and McCown lead one drive. I've heard every excuse for why McCown did better than Cutler. The first week, it was teams hadn't seen tape on him to gameplan, even tho McCown hadn't practiced with the team all year. The excuses changed every week, and this week it is defensive rankings.

It's as simple as this. Cutler can't run this system effectively and makes costly mistakes. McCown plays better in the system as it takes advantage of what he does well. Cutler doesn't work through progressions, stares down wr's, and panics in the pocket due to years of sacks. McCown, the old less talented QB can do all of these things and the offense works more efficiently. Cutlers arm isn't needed for an offense like this.

If arm strength and athletic ability was all that mattered, Vick would be starting over Foles right now and be considered the best QB in the league. A Super Bowl will never be won by the Bears with Cutler at starting QB, especially when the Bears defense isn't good enough to make up for his mistakes.

He listed the redskins by rank, but Cutler sucked against that same Redskin defense. He list the Lions, whom Cutler sucked against twice, and McCown lead one drive. I've heard every excuse for why McCown did better than Cutler. The first week, it was teams hadn't seen tape on him to gameplan, even tho McCown hadn't practiced with the team all year. The excuses changed every week, and this week it is defensive rankings.

It's as simple as this. Cutler can't run this system effectively and makes costly mistakes. McCown plays better in the system as it takes advantage of what he does well. Cutler doesn't work through progressions, stares down wr's, and panics in the pocket due to years of sacks. McCown, the old less talented QB can do all of these things and the offense works more efficiently. Cutlers arm isn't needed for an offense like this.

If arm strength and athletic ability was all that mattered, Vick would be starting over Foles right now and be considered the best QB in the league. A Super Bowl will never be won by the Bears with Cutler at starting QB, especially when the Bears defense isn't good enough to make up for his mistakes.

I would give you two thumbs up and a snap in a Z formation...however I think the team can make a Super Bowl with Cutler. Now 'win' a Super Bowl with him? Meh. For what it's worth I also think the team could make a Super Bowl with McCown, so there is that.

It's as simple as this. Cutler can't run this system effectively and makes costly mistakes. McCown . ays better in the system as it takes advantage of what he does well. Cutler doesn't work through progressions, stares down wr's, and panics in the pocket due to years of sacks. McCown, the old less talented QB can do all of these things and the offense works more efficiently. Cutlers arm isn't needed for an offense like this.

I guess we will see after this season is over which way the Bears think is best to go forward. I never said McCown can't run this offense and win. We've seen it, but we've seen Jay win too. If the Bears thought less of Jay, he would not be starting. Having two capable QB's should be a good thing. Every topic on every Bears board is numerous comparisons of the two. Nothing has changed my view, we have an offense that can score and the core is signed until 2015, except for QB. Starting over with McCown and a rookie with a core of Marshall, Forte, Jeffrey, and Bennett would be awful if McCown slips or gets injured. Continuing on with Cutler and McCown will assure we are capable under center and allow the team to focus on improving one of the worst defenses in the nfl.

I guess we will see after this season is over which way the Bears think is best to go forward. I never said McCown can't run this offense and win. We've seen it, but we've seen Jay win too. If the Bears thought less of Jay, he would not be starting. Having two capable QB's should be a good thing. Every topic on every Bears board is numerous comparisons of the two. Nothing has changed my view, we have an offense that can score and the core is signed until 2015, except for QB. Starting over with McCown and a rookie with a core of Marshall, Forte, Jeffrey, and Bennett would be awful if McCown slips or gets injured. Continuing on with Cutler and McCown will assure we are capable under center and allow the team to focus on improving one of the worst defenses in the nfl.

I think with the injuries to Jay, we just need more time to judge him and that will be with the franchise tag comes into to play.As far as Josh he has played well but can he bare the burden of a full season? What if we go with him and draft a guy we could be in QB hell next year. He may turn into a 35 year old backup QB that got old overnite. I am a gambler so if we went that way I would complain but still think Cutler gives us more options. We have to rebuilt a D that will take two years if were lucky, but a if we spend a 4th round pick on a project, it wont hurt our growth on defense.

Cutler can't run this system effectively. He was a top 10 qb in the league when he went down and that includes the lions and skins. Do where in the world are you getting that from. Don't listen to the media who wants us to believe that jay is downright bad and has sucked all yr because itssimply not true . Keeping both is our best option.

I think with the injuries to Jay, we just need more time to judge him and that will be with the franchise tag comes into to play.As far as Josh he has played well but can he bare the burden of a full season? What if we go with him and draft a guy we could be in QB hell next year. He may turn into a 35 year old backup QB that got old overnite. I am a gambler so if we went that way I would complain but still think Cutler gives us more options. We have to rebuilt a D that will take two years if were lucky, but a if we spend a 4th round pick on a project, it wont hurt our growth on defense.

Exactly. We need those top picks to revamp the defense. If we let jay walk it would take away a potential playmaker on D all the while your hoping that trestman truly can plug any qb in and win

For a decade or more we have sat and watched bad offensive play on this team even as the NFL rules allowed for improved offense. In one season we hire a new HC who turns what has been crap into #7 in yds/gm and #2 in pts/gm. If the guy who did that says Cutler is our best QB I don't see a reason not to trust him. Reading a headline in one of the Chicago papers about how Trestman was sticking his neck out by putting Cutler back in as our starter made me laugh.

I understand all the points about McCown and I"m glad he's gotten us 3 wins and I also remember his 2 losses. I won't belabor those points anymore. I lean toward Cutler being the better player...not perfect but better. I like the points in this article linked by BT and agree that our best move going forward is to keep both and build the D.

That's the future. Right now, I trust the guy who built this offense to tell me who the best QB is.

For a decade or more we have sat and watched bad offensive play on this team even as the NFL rules allowed for improved offense. In one season we hire a new HC who turns what has been crap into #7 in yds/gm and #2 in pts/gm. If the guy who did that says Cutler is our best QB I don't see a reason not to trust him. Reading a headline in one of the Chicago papers about how Trestman was sticking his neck out by putting Cutler back in as our starter made me laugh.

I understand all the points about McCown and I"m glad he's gotten us 3 wins and I also remember his 2 losses. I won't belabor those points anymore. I lean toward Cutler being the better player...not perfect but better. I like the points in this article linked by BT and agree that our best move going forward is to keep both and build the D.

That's the future. Right now, I trust the guy who built this offense to tell me who the best QB is.

Excellent point about trestman. In my book he's earned major brownie points. In 1 off season we go from 1 of the offenses and offensive line to the offense we see now that can win shootouts, the oline though not great has been very good in opening up running lanes and although pass blocking isn't where we would like it I think its easy to see the major improvements made where josh/jay aren't getting hit every down. So because trestman has earned it I'm completely behind his decisions for right now

Although it may seem minuscule in nature it might be important to point out that McCown has done nothing to lose those games. I might also point out that McCown very nearly won two games where Cutler was losing (WAsh and Det #2). When you're trying to keep ahead of sieve defense you're going to lose ground.

This conversation would not be fair if we didn't include that Jay contributed to some or his loses. With two games of multiple (3) turnovers each, these things happen. And, since many will say Jay didn't have the oline then that McCown does now but the same could be said for the defense. Many here have pointed it out and they're right.

I wouldn't say Trestman and Emery are "sold" on Cutler just yet. Today will go a long way towards his (Cutler) stock rising or falling.

Cutler can't run this system effectively. He was a top 10 qb in the league when he went down and that includes the lions and skins. Do where in the world are you getting that from. Don't listen to the media who wants us to believe that jay is downright bad and has sucked all yr because itssimply not true . Keeping both is our best option.

I say he can't run the offense effectively, because he doesn't run the offense with in the system.

A play is called. Cutler stares down Marshall. Marshall cuts. Cutler throws the ball.

A.) An amazing throw is made that fits it into a small window.

B.) Defense makes a play, and it's viewed as no one was open.

C.) Cutler throws it away.

To me that's not working in the system. McCown in the same situation would:

First and look off Marshall

A.) See if Jeffery is open, then throw it to him

B.) Progress past Marshall and Jeffery and see if Bennett is open

C.) Dump it off to Forte

D.) Throw it away.

Running the system to me is being able to work through your progressions. It involves throwing the ball before a player cuts and trusting the WR. Cutler can not do either thing with in the system effectively. He can just play the same football he has played since he joined the NFL.

I say he can't run the offense effectively, because he doesn't run the offense with in the system.

A play is called. Cutler stares down Marshall. Marshall cuts. Cutler throws the ball.

C.) Dump it off to Forte

D.) Throw it away.

Running the system to me is being able to work through your progressions. It involves throwing the ball before a player cuts and trusting the WR. Cutler can not do either thing with in the system effectively. He can just play the same football he has played since he joined the NFL.

So your ignoring the fact he was a top 10 qb in the league and are willing to let him walk because you feel he can't run this offense

C.) Dump it off to Forte

D.) Throw it away.

Exactly, bye bye Cutler….now I know why Denver was happy to see you go.

C.) Dump it off to Forte

D.) Throw it away.

Prophetic, considering today's game.